Official Rangers Women - Season 23-24

If we don't win the league which it looks likely it's those games where we beat sides 3/4 nil but that lot beat the same sides by 7 or 8 that has made the difference.
Those 2 games against Hearts and Partick were also crucial which mimics the men's side results against Ross County and Dundee.
The squad doesn't need a major overhaul, just a few new faces.
The loss of Kirsty McLean was just at the wrong time but we should have had enough to get over the line.

If we don't win the league which it looks likely it's those games where we beat sides 3/4 nil but that lot beat the same sides by 7 or 8 that has made the difference.
Those 2 games against Hearts and Partick were also crucial which mimics the men's side results against Ross County and Dundee.
The loss of Kirsty McLean was just at the wrong time but we should have had enough to get over the line.
In every game I watched we seemed not to take an inordinate amount of opportunities - game after game & last night was no different.

Very frustrating, the head to heads show that we have the strongest team but dropping points against teams that we should be beating have cost us. Don’t think there is any chance that lot will drop points to Hibs

McLean isn't a big goalscorer tho
Howats injury + Hardys form collapse + Ross not being the same post injury + Ewens just no longer a major goalthreat in this improved league = less goals

Throw in Arnot who is on the wane and a midfield with not that many goals as you would expect

McLean's injury was a massive issue but McLaughlin coming in has been a great replacement.

You could look at the 0-0 game against Thistle as being what's really scuppered us.

We've taken enough points against Celtic to be ahead of them if we hadn't chucked points away against teams we should have beaten.

A few more goals wouldn't have done us any harm as things stand but dropping stupid points is even more of a crime.

Very frustrating, the head to heads show that we have the strongest team but dropping points against teams that we should be beating have cost us. Don’t think there is any chance that lot will drop points to Hibs

We are also a much better funded team than that lot, Jane Ross being injured for as long as she had was a major blow.

I presume Potter was instrumental in getting Rowe & Hardy, and hopefully she knows a few more at that level she can get in as we definitely need a referesh.

McLean's injury was a massive issue but McLaughlin coming in has been a great replacement.

You could look at the 0-0 game against Thistle as being what's really scuppered us.

We've taken enough points against Celtic to be ahead of them if we hadn't chucked points away against teams we should have beaten.

A few more goals wouldn't have done us any harm as things stand but dropping stupid points is even more of a crime.
Different players though and it has led to a difference in the middle of the park.

McLoughlin is a ball winner who is brilliant at tidying up. Maclean is a bonafide playmaker. We've missed her incisiveness.

Although I don't think she is a ten, where she came on last night, she's better deeper where she has the whole pitch in front of her.

Last edited:
I presume Potter was instrumental in getting Rowe & Hardy, and hopefully she knows a few more at that level she can get in as we definitely need a referesh.
Not sure how to word this but I do wonder at the actual effectiveness of those signings to me our most influential players are others like MacLean and McLauchlan , who have been injured , and our developing youngsters eg McAulay . Would agree with another poster who said McLoughlin has begun to genuinely influence games but that for me has been more recent rather than since she arrived - understandable .

There have been senior players who haven’t quite clicked and I would argue were required to deliver more .

Jo has to think again about these players because not taking the title is actually failure .

We are, at full strength, a much better team than the side in the east end of Glasgow and should have completed the treble this season. The critical injuries to Kirsty Maclean, Kirsty Howat and Rachel McLauchlan couldn't have come at a worse time as all are so influential in the style we play.

We got a really good season from Mia McAulay, rightly the Young Player of the Year, and Liv McLoughlin and Rachel Rowe have provided bite and inventiveness.

Sadly, as both have been good servants, it's starting to look like we've seen the best of Jane Ross and Lizzie Arnot and we desperately need to find a strong, solid defender with pace.

We lose too many soft goals with both Tessel Middag and Nicola Docherty being culpable for many of these. To take last night, the 2nd Hibs goal should have been prevented but Docherty repeated the same failure to clear a through ball when in a position to do so, that she displayed when Davidson scored for Glasgow City a few weeks ago.

I suspect there will be significant squad changes and Jo Potter might look again to our Academy to promote players for the coming season as all the youngsters who have played at some point in this season e.g. Austin, Macleary, McAulay, Maclean, and Laura Berry have done well.

We are, at full strength, a much better team than the side in the east end of Glasgow and should have completed the treble this season. The critical injuries to Kirsty Maclean, Kirsty Howat and Rachel McLauchlan couldn't have come at a worse time as all are so influential in the style we play.

We got a really good season from Mia McAulay, rightly the Young Player of the Year, and Liv McLoughlin and Rachel Rowe have provided bite and inventiveness.

Sadly, as both have been good servants, it's starting to look like we've seen the best of Jane Ross and Lizzie Arnot and we desperately need to find a strong, solid defender with pace.

We lose too many soft goals with both Tessel Middag and Nicola Docherty being culpable for many of these. To take last night, the 2nd Hibs goal should have been prevented but Docherty repeated the same failure to clear a through ball when in a position to do so, that she displayed when Davidson scored for Glasgow City a few weeks ago.

I suspect there will be significant squad changes and Jo Potter might look again to our Academy to promote players for the coming season as all the youngsters who have played at some point in this season e.g. Austin, Macleary, McAulay, Maclean, and Laura Berry have done well.
I think Docherty as much as I like her has had a poor season.

Next season might be her last if she has another like this one

McLean isn't a big goalscorer tho
Howats injury + Hardys form collapse + Ross not being the same post injury + Ewens just no longer a major goalthreat in this improved league = less goals

Throw in Arnot who is on the wane and a midfield with not that many goals as you would expect
Kirsty Maclean isn't a big goalscorer, but is still the top provider of goals this season despite being out since January, a huge miss. Along with Rachel McLauchlan and Kirsty Howat, we lost a huge chunk of creativity from the team all at once.

Wednesdays game at Hibs provided a perfect summation of the season, missed opportunities and stupid goals conceded.

What’s best source for seeing women’s teams contract situation , not just our women but all the league ? Ta
Information on that is not routinely released publicly like it is for men.

Vast majority of women’s footballers across the board are on 1 or 2 year deals.

It’s only really the big players at clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona, Bayern, Lyon etc that go on men’s style long term deals.

Ok thanks, Flashscore is only showing the celtic game as being shown on BBC Alba and nothing else. cheers

GN8NJpSXwAARYj2

Back