Reasons for not Subscribing to unlimited RTV

Why don't you have the unlimited RTV subscription?

• I go to every game Home and Away anyway

Votes: 49 7.4%
  • I go to every Home game and watch away on Sky/BT

Votes: 215 32.5%
  • I want to PPV single games as I choose

Votes: 75 11.3%
  • I don't know how a VPN works to set it up

Votes: 100 15.1%
  • I can't afford £17.25 a month

Votes: 147 22.2%
  • I don't know how to watch RTV on my TV

Votes: 59 8.9%
  • I do subscribe for the £17.25 unlimited package

Votes: 122 18.4%
  • I don't think RTV is reliable/value for money

Votes: 21 3.2%

• Total voters
Do Rangers know that I, and a lot of fellow bears do this? Watch the games live using a vpn?

Are they ok with it?
Will they try to crack down on it?

I think they do and though they can never say it they would want as many subscribing this way as they can get.

This thread isn't about shaming people that don't subscribe in case anyone thinks that, it was just to gauge everyone's varying reasons. I get the Sky/BT thing if you watch alot of football out with the Gers.

Personally I have BT free as part of my phone contract but hardly ever watch any games not involving us so would never get Sky. I don't have a season ticket either so for me the unlimited package is fantastic.

I am an overseas bear and have subscribed since day dot. It was 180.99 per year up to 2013 and since then it has been 193.90 every year with my last annual subscription taken in March this year. Now its gone up to 207.00 per year and I personally think its great value and will subscribe again in March 2020

I have Unlimited and it's perfect for me. Work most Saturdays and I'm a single parent for half the week.
I only made it to 4 games last season, the Rapid Vienna :)) at home and 3 against the sheep shaggers :mad:.

I am a season ticket holder that has previously had BT/Sky subs at different points to supplement for away games.

I don’t have any additional sports subs at this point and had been considering RTV/VPN and to be honest, I don’t think the value is there. For £20 a month, I want to see more than approximately 2 games.

If I’m going to the bother of a VPN and all that lark, I’d prefer to sub to a sports channel based abroad that offers spfl and other leagues for the same price and presumably a better quality of stream etc.

The quality of the streaming is terrible so I don't subscribe. I have a 10mbs line but the live stream constantly buffers.

The quality of the streaming is terrible so I don't subscribe. I have a 10mbs line but the live stream constantly buffers.

I never have any buffering. I very seldom have any of the issues that people talk about on here.

I have an RTV season ticket, which isn't one of the options.

If feasible, I go to every home game. Sometimes, because of holidays etc it isn’t always possible and last season I missed three home games, one because of illness and two due to holidays and in all cases I used secondary ticketing which saved me £15 on my season ticket.

I used Rangers TV with a VPN for those games and for most away games as I don’t have, and have no intention of ever getting Sky Sports. I do have BT Sports but that is mainly for MotoGP and I refuse to use that channel for Rangers games due to Sutton et al.

I am in my 70s and have absolutely no problems in using a VPN. In fact I use it all the time even at home on my iMac and particularly when using my iPad on public networks in cafes, trains and etc. As VPNs use heavy encryption it is the only secure way to join and use public Wifi networks.

Quick question. I can’t get RTV to play through my smart tv, I understand that’s quite common. I can get it to play via a fire stick though- will I be able to watch games via a VPN through the fire stick? I normally use my laptop and hook it up using a HDMI cable, but if I could get it working via the fire stick it would save a lot of pissing about in future.

show me where you get an exchange rate of 1 ; 1.65

I’m telling you that is what comes out of my account. In fact I think if you click on Buy Now it actually tells you that figure. It’s based on whatever historic rate they choose to use. That option, without question, currently costs £17.25.

You can choose to believe me - and others - or not. Up to you.

EDIT: Just checked, click on Buy Now and it gives the £17.25/$28.50 price as I stated.

Last edited:
Quick question. I can’t get RTV to play through my smart tv, I understand that’s quite common. I can get it to play via a fire stick though- will I be able to watch games via a VPN through the fire stick? I normally use my laptop and hook it up using a HDMI cable, but if I could get it working via the fire stick it would save a lot of pissing about in future.
Yes you can play through the firestick mate. You just have to download a vpn onto your firestick as you would your computer. There are some available on the firestick app store but you can also download any android vpn using an app like downloader.

Do you have a vpn already? If so Google download xyz vpn onto firestick and there will no doubt be a guide

No idea how to get RTV on the telly, but just seen a really handy thread on using a VPN with an in-TV app. Just need to figure out using a VPN! Only have a surface pro tablet, so hopefully the same as laptop.

Yes you can play through the firestick mate. You just have to download a vpn onto your firestick as you would your computer. There are some available on the firestick app store but you can also download any android vpn using an app like downloader.

Do you have a vpn already? If so Google download xyz vpn onto firestick and there will no doubt be a guide

I normally use Tunnel Bear when watching via laptop, Puffin browser has a built in VPN when I use the iPad. I’ll have a look and see what’s what for the game on Thursday. Cheers.

Interesting that so far the majority vote is for watching away games on Sky/BT. I think this is the group Rangers are targeting to try and get subscribed to RTV instead.
Problem with that is some will watch multiple clubs or sports on those channels

What's the best value VPN to go for? I'm presuming free one's won't cut it in terms of bandwidth.

Tunnel Bear and Hotspot Shield are free and absolutely fine for just watching the games, you really don’t need to pay for one if it’s just for RTV. The trick is to turn on the VPN, start the stream on RTV, then turn off the VPN. It isn’t needed once the game has started, doing this also stops your bandwidth being cut.

ST holder on the CCCS, get BT on my Virgin package and able to see most games on Sky via pub or mates.

To be honest, £17.25 pm subscription is pretty hefty for what you’re getting when you think about Netflix being less than a tenner.

I watch wee bits and bobs of BTS vids on YT so don’t feel I’m missing much that I’d really get my money’s worth out of a premium priced subscription plus the price of a decent VPN on top.

It’s all fine talking about putting more money into the club, but I put in the guts of a grand a year already with what I already buy in tickets and merchandise, so there’s got to be a line somewhere when it’s ok to think something costs too much.

If folk get their money’s worth out of it from their own point of view fair enough, but it’s not for me.

Mirrored screen from phone to TV for oxford game, quality was horrendous. Not interested in watching a full game on my phone.
Have season ticket and full sky and bt packages, again tried casting bt from phone to TV last season, quality not great and a minute behind the actual game.
Have tried iptv in past but again quality was pish.
HD loyal

For those who missed the many other threads on RangersTV some basic troubleshooting steps if you encounter problems.

Firstly, if it’s buffering try clicking in the icon down in the bottom right if the screen that looks like 4 small boxes. From the pop-up menu change the setting from Auto to the one below, 1080p. If it’s still buffering, do it again and drop to the one below that. If necessary drop to the one below that again - I’ve ended up on 320p before stopping the buffering and, more importantly, I did not see a degradation in my picture quality on a large desktop monitor.

If you still encounter problems look to your own setup. Investigate it. Never mind that other services work fine, something is stopping RangersTV from working. Is it only on your home broadband? Have you tried logging in on your laptop, for example, via someone else's broadband? Have you tried logging into RangersTV on a friends laptop in your home? On their laptop in their home? There is a reason your experience is so bad and to simply lay it at the feet of RangersTV is an easy way out. Try your equipment in another location and then try someone else's equipment in your location and finally someone else's equipment in another location. That would be a good starting point I reckon in ruling out your equipment, your broadband - or both. It might turn out that there's no easy fix - or it might help identify an issue you've hitherto been unaware of. Good Luck if you decide to go for it.

Finally, if you are trying to stream through a smart tv browser you will be very fortunate to get it to work. Firstly, there is the issue of getting a VPN that works on your tv. Then there is the fact that smart tv browsers are notoriously shit for this sort of thing. You might have better luck with a Firestick or similar but the easiest way to get it to a tv is by hooking up a laptop via HDMI or by using Apple TV.

If you want to watch a match (and are a subscriber) do NOT click on the link to purchase the match. There have been a few reports of subscribers being charged twice in such cases. Simply go to the Login page, login and then go to the bit that says 'Show Me Videos About'. Leave the Search box EMPTY and simply click on Search. This brings up a list of videos in date order, most recent first. This will include all the pre-match stuff and a link to the game itself. Enjoy!

https://rangers.co.uk/tv/login

Hope this helps at least one user.

Last edited:
I work in London but I try and make every home match. I've got RTV but I don't watch away matches. I've got a VPN though.

A lot of fans use dodgy streams. Realistically that’s one of the biggest loss of earnings for Rangers I would say. Obviously people won’t say that on here, but there are several Facebook pages I know that encourage and facilitate this, they all have tens of thousands of members.
I have subscribed to the £17.25 package because I was going to miss some of the friendly games, I was going to cancel after a month because I’m a ST holder. I now find myself in a position where I won’t be able to attend games for a while, so I’ll just keep on the monthly subscription.
Completely agree. There more ‘staunch fans’ out there that would rather spend money on dodgy boxes and streams and bitch about costs rather than go to games or pay RTV

I get affordability for some but it’s not everyone

The $28.50 is the only option for international viewers like myself, and that's a little rich for my blood given how often I see people complaining about stream quality.

If the other options were available to me I'd probably go for a less expensive tier.

I have the £5 per month sub, can I just upgrade this to unlimited or do I have to cancel this and start afresh with the unlimited version?

I had it before, however I go to all home games and usually watched away games on Sky/BT. There was other great content but to be honest I rarely had the free time to watch it all so it was simply a cost saving to not renew it.

You don't need the vpn on the firestick if you login to rtv through a laptop or iPad first through vpn. Once purchased you just login on the firestick and open rtv.

Mirrored screen from phone to TV for oxford game, quality was horrendous. Not interested in watching a full game on my phone.
Have season ticket and full sky and bt packages, again tried casting bt from phone to TV last season, quality not great and a minute behind the actual game.
Have tried iptv in past but again quality was pish.
HD loyal

I cast from my phone using a Google Chromecast. Works brilliant. No buffering and HD.

Ok, stupid question, what’s the best way to watch it via a Firestick? Once I figure it out I will subscribe

I've got a season ticket, go to the away games I get a ticket for and have BT through my Virgin package so it's only the sky games that I need to find a way to watch.
I can't be arsed with the hassle of getting a VPN and setting up different browsers etc to watch the odd game on RTV.

You don't need the vpn on the firestick if you login to rtv through a laptop or iPad first through vpn. Once purchased you just login on the firestick and open rtv.
That surprises me mate as I thought it checked your location each time you loaded the video?

Ok, stupid question, what’s the best way to watch it via a Firestick? Once I figure it out I will subscribe
Get yourself a VPN and download it onto your firestick. If you're not too tech savvy Google firestick vpn and you'll find some that are downloadable direct from amazon to cut out a few steps. The. Download the Firefox app for firestick and just use the browser as you would on a computer. Job done

Reactions: krs
Go to all home games, some away games and have BT Sports and Sky Sports.

Have the £5pm RTV subscription so no need at all to upgrade the higher tier.

That surprises me mate as I thought it checked your location each time you loaded the video?

I did it a few times last season. As long as it's purchased and you go to the match day screen on the laptop and logoff, when you load up the firestick and login to RTV you'll see the same match screen.

Back