Regan Charles-Cook

on a free may be worth a punt but we need to be looking for palyer's who are going straight in to the team rather than more squad players that the manager wouldn't trust

He scored ZERO last season in 26 appearances.

He has 14 goals in his career prior signing for Ross County. Around 100 appearances between League 1 and the conference.
Call it a break through season then , could be an option of the bench better than we currently have . Still need a starting winger next season

He’s showing up our £7m signing domestically from the same position.
He's having a good season. It can't be denied.

Kent is having a poor season overall with a few outlying performances.

What I'm suggesting is Regan Charles-Cook will be the next in a long line of players who become flavour of the month by rattling in a career best number of goals before reverting to their base line level.

See Davie Goodwille, Louis Moult, Sam Cosgrove, Andy Dorman and the long cast of players who turned up well for 6-18m before trailing off.

Granted in amongst that you get the odd gem who keeps it up.

Christ if Tony Watt wasn't one of them he would've been getting touted.

If we got him on this years form and not last years (something like 2 goals and one assist in 31 games)

I'm sure if he didnt have 3 players on him every time he touched the ball his numbers would be better

Take the Dortmund game as an example, when is Kent ever given so much freedom in a domestic game?
Correct.
It can be difficult to assess players in this way, as you cannot replicate the different tactics that they face every week
Kent against Dortmund looked like a different player than he did yesterday against Aberdeen.

The problem with Kent is that he becomes too easily frustrated against packed defences and makes desperate choices in the final third.
He needs to accept that when a dead end is put in front of him, then don't go down it.
Just play within your skillset.

Gerrard taught Jack to play within his skillset and boy what a difference.

He's having a good season. It can't be denied.

Kent is having a poor season overall with a few outlying performances.

What I'm suggesting is Regan Charles-Cook will be the next in a long line of players who become flavour of the month by rattling in a career best number of goals before reverting to their base line level.

See Davie Goodwille, Louis Moult, Sam Cosgrove, Andy Dorman and the long cast of players who turned up well for 6-18m before trailing off.

Granted in amongst that you get the odd gem who keeps it up.

Christ if Tony Watt wasn't one of them he would've been getting touted.
Part of arsenal academy at same time as glen puts him above the likes of they journeymen tbh.

F.uck even Anthony stokes had a decent career in Scotland after coming from arsenals academy.

Kent’s got 2 this year and we wonder why we are turgid.
Ryan Kent's problem is his actual shooting. I know that sounds very obvious, but he gets himself into good shooting positions on a regular basis, but very rarely even hits the target let alone score.

He's scored some superb goals for us from outside the box, but more often than not, his shots end up in the stands.

You do realise he isn’t a striker? More of an aluko type signing he had hardly scored a goal before signing for us.
Yip, this is a break out season for him on the goals front. Scored two goals in thirty five appearances last season and three in twenty one the season before. Some of that may be how they are utilizing him now, I have no idea. More than half of his goals this season have come against Dundee and St Johnstone.

Regarding Kent’s goals, thirteen last season but two so far this season. It’s a problem for us.

People comparing him with Kent are forgetting that Kent is usually playing against ten man defences with a packed box.
While this is true, Kent is also playing for a team that create more chances and have double figures of attempts at goal pretty much every game.

Yip, this is a break out season for him on the goals front. Scored two goals in thirty five appearances last season and three in twenty one the season before. Some of that may be how they are utilizing him now, I have no idea. More than half of his goals this season have come against Dundee and St Johnstone.

Regarding Kent’s goals, thirteen last season but two so far this season. It’s a problem for us.
They have been playing him LW this season whereas he was more of an attacking mid previously.

If Charles Cook is the answer, what is the question?

He is exactly the type of signing we should NOT be making. Due diligence will prove that by going back just one season, a purple patch in the SPL doesn't mean we should be signing him.

Look past our strongest 11 and we have a raft of SPL level squad fillers.

Ryan Kent's problem is his actual shooting. I know that sounds very obvious, but he gets himself into good shooting positions on a regular basis, but very rarely even hits the target let alone score.

He's scored some superb goals for us from outside the box, but more often than not, his shots end up in the stands.

We need to hire the finishing coach that Waghorn used, he improved after that pre season.

If Kent had more end product he wouldn't be at Rangers.

He should realistically be getting 20 goals and assists a season playing for us.

On a broader note, I understand the recent trend for double barrelled names to “honour“ both parents- I even understand the modern woman's objection to taking her husband’s name.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the kids are called if, say, Mr Charles-Cook marries Miss Smith - Jones?.
Senga Charles- Cook - smith - Jones’s primary class roll call would take all morning if forty kids have quadruple barrelled names, and God help the next generation of Grandkids.

His variety of goals is quite impressive.

Some runs and finishes, some first times hits, some good poaching also.

The fact he plays for RC makes no difference to me, if there’s a decent player available on a free it’s more than worth a look.
Correct, another Sone Aluko type signing who could just do a turn for us against the gash in the league

From the limited amount I've watched him - he does look half decent
In simple terms - He seems to have good positional sense, knows where the goal is & has a sort of awkward way about him that holds off tackles
Not in Alfie's class - but fairly impressive nevertheless

Can he make the step up ?
Who can tell ?
Probably not - but I'd still prefer him to some of the dross we've been linked with before - like Shankland or Dykes etc.

They probably turn their nose up because he scored zero goals last season.
I was talking to a county fan that said he had a poor season last season however they put it down to him struggling to settle after moving to Dingwall during a pandemic where he knew no one and there was nothing to do and there was a lockdown.
He has settled now and obviously has more freedoms and they are seeing the best of him.
Let’s face it most of us would struggle to settle in Dingwall at best of times never mind during a lockdown

They probably turn their nose up because he scored zero goals last season.
Can’t have been easy for the lad moving from down south away from his family to Dingwall during a pandemic. Restrictions meant he couldn’t visit any of his family and couldn’t do anything (maybe not a covid problem just a Dingwall problem) or meet any of his new team mates properly. Was in and out of their team.

I get a vibe of Andy Dorman about Regan Charles-Cook tbh.

Probably too good for the jobbers, but lacks a bit of quality for us.

I'd 100% take him on a free transfer.

I know we need 1st team quality but we also have to continue to develop our squad.

He puts the emphasis on power rather than accuracy.
More players do this than not.
That is why Messi is a great and the rest are ordinary.
Messi concentrates always in hitting the target rather than bursting the net.

100% agree. He also likes to add another step over or chops back onto his other foot and by that time the defender is there to block.

He is definitely worth a chance.

I would say though that scoring goals for Rangers against tightly packed defences is less straightforward that scoring for Ross County whom teams attack more.

Purple patch season, "Low risk" he'll get a 4 year contract. Just wait till he plays for us for 2 games and written off for being absolutely pish.

His history is dugmeat, he's playing with relegation fodder, who when they play opposition absolutely let their guard down. Wait till he's at Ibrox playing against packed defences.

Fans fleeced left, right and centre for little return at times. He's 25 and this has been his only successful season as a footballer, Jesus wept!

Last edited:
He is definitely worth a chance.

I would say though that scoring goals for Rangers against tightly packed defences is less straightforward that scoring for Ross County whom teams attack more.
If thats the case then the dross would be outscoring Rangers and Celtic. Its just an excuse for poor finishing of late.

Embarrassing return for someone of his ability. If he wants to go to the very top he has to add numbers to his game.
Kent won’t go to the very top. Bookmark it. Too good at being the hide and seek champion when he’s not in the mood.

An attacker who never scored more than 4 goals in a league campaign until this season including zero last season for County. I don't think he's a bad player but more of a Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen level signing.

We need to hire the finishing coach that Waghorn used, he improved after that pre season.

If Kent had more end product he wouldn't be at Rangers.

He should realistically be getting 20 goals and assists a season playing for us.
That guy you speak of is currently a first team coach at Aberdeen. Ex Kilmarnock and Hamilton striker Allan Russell.

If thats the case then the dross would be outscoring Rangers and Celtic. Its just an excuse for poor finishing of late.

They dont out score us because we have better players and are a better team.

You have to be a lot sharper to score for Rangers because you have less time on the ball.

Was looking at the table this morning and was shocked to see Ross County in the top 6. Weren’t they near the bottom when we drew 3-3 with them?

He looks a decent enough player. Not sure he’s good enough to make it at us.

They've went on a good run since then. Think they won their last two before yesterday and a draw.

We could sign him for free, what's to lose. If he does well, we will be singing his praises. If he flops, we'll be shouting to get him transfered.
That's FF for you.

People comparing him with Kent are forgetting that Kent is usually playing against ten man defences with a packed box.

Exactly how would he cope being doubled or tripled up on with no space to run into. Its a good record for someone at Ross County but coming here it's next level up and nothing more than a squad player. Type of player people would then be saying 'what did we sign him for' if things aren't going well as well.

He will probably end up in league 1 or 2 down south.

Better than Scott Wright
Who was better than RCC has been this year.
Scott Wright isn’t the first nor the last half decent player we’ve signed from Scottish clubs who has struggled, not only with the expectations, but with the totally different game he faces when playing for us.
Strikers, forwards in general, suffer this more than defenders in my opinion.

Back