Respective Wage Bills?

Balogun1

It’s clear the mentally challengeds have had the biggest wage bill by far in recent years but with all that’s going on and the summer’s comings and goings, what do we reckon the respective wage bills now look like?

If they're still paying out £60M or more, they are mental.

Ours has been creeping up the twenties. I'd say it's probably about £30M now. Just my guess.

I don’t know anything about the wage budget, I reckon there will still be a sizeable gap going what’s been posted on the subject.

We're probably about 70% of their wages.

They're no longer spending what they were, and we're spending a bit more.
This is part of the reason I asked, I don’t really pay that much attention to them.

Yes Brenda has gone but there are no other significant outgoings that I can think of, while they have recruited the likes of Duffy, Ajeti and Barkas.

This is part of the reason I asked, I don’t really pay that much attention to them.

Yes Brenda has gone but there are no other significant outgoings that I can think of, while they have recruited the likes of Duffy, Ajeti and Barkas.
Plus I assume they have given pay rises to the likes of Christie, Ajer and McGregor to try to keep them.

Ours has been creeping up the twenties. I'd say it's probably about £30M now. Just my guess.
A big issue that’s creeping up on the mentally challengeds is their over reliance on selling a player each summer. They didn’t do that this year, and actually quite soon they could be in some bother.

By the time January comes, Edouard, Christie, Ajer and Ntcham will all have just 18 months to run on their contracts. The rumour is none of them seem willing to extend their deals which means they will be in a lot of pressure to offload soon.

A big issue that’s creeping up on the mentally challengeds is their over reliance on selling a player each summer. They didn’t do that this year, and actually quite soon they could be in some bother.

By the time January comes, Edouard, Christie, Ajer and Ntcham will all have just 18 months to run on their contracts. The rumour is none of them seem willing to extend their deals which means they will be in a lot of pressure to offload soon.
Didn't realise all their 'big assets' were on such short contracts. Oh dear.

As you say, January might be their last chance to get big fees. Afer that, with only 12 months left, it's unlikely anyone's going to bid big and the players might prefer to hold off for a pre contract that will assure them higher wages.

Interesting indeed.

That's huge for them. From our point Tav and Goldson have 18 months left. Really important to get them tied down on two year extensions.

Was going to say this they either need to qualify for CL or sell 1 or 2 players. They have done neither. Edouard apart none of the others look likely to get a significant fee which is nice to see.

That's huge for them. From our point Tav and Goldson have 18 months left. Really important to get them tied down on two year extensions.

Eventually in "normal times" our wage bill will creep up year on year between paying more for talent as we become more resurgent and successful and extending contracts to protect value for sell on etc. So long as we don't do it blindly as we did in the 90's.

But £60M a year for that other lot in the East End is completely mad. I was wondering why they had slashed players wages in response to the Covid - 19 pandemic whilst we had agreed a salary cap / deferment based on certain scenarios.

Yahoos wage bill must be around £60-65m a year now. They’ve not really offloaded anyone significant and spent well over £20m since January.

£5.5m for Soro and Klimala, £5m for Barkas, £5m for Ajeti, £2m loan fee & 40k a week for Duffy and probably similar if not more for the Elyounoussi and Laxalt loans.

Add to that to a percentage of wages they are still paying for guys like Shevd and Bolingoli who cost £5m in fees between them and are now out on loan to other clubs. They also still have two American players who’ve not actually kicked a ball for them on loan as well.

Rangers winning the league this season will be a financial hammer blow for them as the 2nd placed side won’t be seeded in champions league qualifying next summer.

I doubt very much if ours is 30M just yet going off last years accounts, but certainly heading there so a pretty good guess!

From the 2019 accounts, total revenue was only 53M and first-team wages was about 43% of turnover (22.8M).

Strangely, first-team wages were less in 2019 than in 2018 if I recall.

I think you might be thinking of overall staff costs that were reported as 34M for 2019 (I think).

It’s clear the mentally challengeds have had the biggest wage bill by far in recent years but with all that’s going on and the summer’s comings and goings, what do we reckon the respective wage bills now look like?
Stuart Gibson said in his ET interview that our salary pot is 50% of Celtic’s .

My understanding of the Duff(er)y deal is they paid £1m for the loan and are paying close to £25k of his £45k wage. If true this is magnificent. 2 weeks wages for this plug buys a Glenn Kamara :)) :))

Yahoos wage bill must be around £60-65m a year now. They’ve not really offloaded anyone significant and spent well over £20m since January.

£5.5m for Soro and Klimala, £5m for Barkas, £5m for Ajeti, £2m loan fee & 40k a week for Duffy and probably similar if not more for the Elyounoussi and Laxalt loans.

Add to that to a percentage of wages they are still paying for guys like Shevd and Bolingoli who cost £5m in fees between them and are now out on loan to other clubs. They also still have two American players who’ve not actually kicked a ball for them on loan as well.

Rangers winning the league this season will be a financial hammer blow for them as the 2nd placed side won’t be seeded in champions league qualifying next summer.
You forgot the undisclosed fee for Turnbull too mate, so probably another 2 - 3 million to add to the summer spending

I think it's probably important that our wage bill doesn't keep rising too much. We've got a team well capable of winning in Scotland and doing well in Europe which seems to show we don't need to double it and match theirs anyway!

The other thing to note is that if your team isn’t winning the league then inevitably confidence drops and players generally aren’t as attractive. If we win the league rather than them that seriously devalues a number of their players.

That is a great summary of the actual situation. Make no mistake they are in trouble even in the unlikely event that they win the league this season. There will have to be a massive clearout and the Lego will also be going.
The wage situation is mental and not sustainable and only top ups from Desmond will save them.

We're probably about 70% of their wages.

They're no longer spending what they were, and we're spending a bit more.
Were half.

Ours i would say is now at about 32/33m a year theirs must be a bit higher than the reported 60m plus given they have signed Ajeti, Turnbull, Barking Barkas and are covering Donkey Duffy for 45 grand a week.

Seeded or not the tims efforts at qualifying over the last 5 years have been awful.

Compare and contrast to Walter Smith, over his 2 spells, actually getting through the qualifiers and into the groups and the stick he got.....

Particularly after we lost twice to Juventus, drew twice with Borussia Dortmund and got beat off Ajax. 3 clubs who all won the CL in 95, 96 and 97......

65m a year and they can't even get to the play off in the champions route and not a peep....

We have stripped fringe players from the squad as well, which will negate some of the new wages for the incoming players this summer, whereas that lot don't seem to have replicated this.

If we win the title this season and manage ourselves correctly, we could be looking at a period of dominance. Their big players are aging and haven't been adequately replaced yet. Their younger better players will want away regardless this summer. Lot of rebuilding ahead. Meanwhile we are just getting started.

They've got like a baseline turnover of 60 million past 2/3 years outside of sales.

in 2018 without sales of Dembele/Armstrong..it would of been 63 million. in 2019 without sale of Tierney..it would of been 58 million turnover.

Outside of sales.Turnover would of been 58 million for Celtic and 53 for us last year. That's an extra cup final,10k extra seats and a better merch deal..not a huge gap outwith sales..4 or 5 million outwith sales. It's the sales that is the killer.

I think it will take a couple more years for us to catch up off the field and things to level out. They need to run out of sales or we need to start making some good ones.

Despite their best efforts in talking up their other players Edouard is their only sellable asset and with 18 months left of his deal nobody is paying mega bucks for him.

They've got like a baseline turnover of 60 million past 2/3 years outside of sales.

in 2018 without sales of Dembele/Armstrong..it would of been 63 million. in 2019 without sale of Tierney..it would of been 58 million turnover.

Outside of sales.Turnover would of been 58 million for Celtic and 53 for us last year. That's an extra cup final,10k extra seats and a better merch deal..not a huge gap outwith sales..4 or 5 million outwith sales. It's the sales that is the killer.

I think it will take a couple more years for us to catch up off the field and things to level out. They need to run out of sales or we need to start making some good ones.
One year of us in CL and them not will see us back to parity at least and possibly overtaking them in turnover.
Dave King saw this coming yet the rats were still too busy focusing on EBTs and Face painters.

Gerrard and his recruitment team , deserve massive praise for the level of player , and coaching and improving players that will see us never again playing catch up , standards set in Europe , will see us receive top dollar for players in the future .

The June 2019 accounts have total staff costs of £34m for us v £56m For Celtic for the 2018/19 season. It’s worth noting their £56m included £4m to directors that year and whatever they pay all of their retail staff, versus very little for us. So I think the gap in first team squad wages will be smaller.

I’m not sure why anyone thinks it’s a good thing that they are spending more on wages than us. They’ve clearly been able to run at a profit most years while spending those wages while doing it. Unless we find a way of closing that gap we’ll be relying on their incompetence to win trophies.

Back