Ritchie-Shearer-Caldow-

McCloy Jardine and Greig, Forsyth Jackson and McDonald, McLean Russell,Johnstone Smith & Cooper.
You're right, it doesn't quite have the same fluency.
One for the statos on here. How many times did the above eleven take the field together.
That was the team I watched. With Alex Miller in place of Alex Forsyth

Me and my dad went to a cup tie at Ayr in 2003 and after squeezing into the terracing he realised 5 minutes into the game the guy in front of him was Eric Caldow.

They spent all of half time with my dad reminiscing about great games Mr Caldow had played in and how he was the best full back he ever saw, and Mr Caldow listening with the patience of a saint.

Anytime Eric Caldow's name is mentioned in front of my uncle, the response is always the same.

The veins in his neck start bulging and then he goes into a rant about how much of a nonsense it is that he never made our greatest ever 11.
MU,when you mentioned your uncles veins bulging re Eric,I felt sure he was thinking of the scumbag Smith who broke Eric's leg.a 60s version of the other scumbag Simpson.
At the time of his injury,the great Real Madrid winger Gento,said Eric was one of the best full backs he'd played against.without a doubt the best left back to play for us

Last edited:
Anytime Eric Caldow's name is mentioned in front of my uncle, the response is always the same.

The veins in his neck start bulging and then he goes into a rant about how much of a nonsense it is that he never made our greatest ever 11.
He can get anger management courses on the NHS mate as it’s not good for his health when your veins bulge in your neck

After the ball was centred
After the whistle blew
Wee Scott got up his temper
And down the wing he flew
He passed to Maxie Murray
Who scored a beautiful goal
Its one goal up for Rangers
And Celtic up the pole

My first Rangers song :)
First time I’ve seen this. Brilliant.

There's not that much footage of the 1960 > 1965 team about, but what there is, is worth watching.

We often talk about the modern game and how the current players are all athletes etc, but these guys ran about with heavier kit on, heavier boots, a ball that could be heavy when damp and on heavy pitches for 90 mins.

For sheer skill, and for the love of playing the game and for the love of playing for our club, these guys are incomparable. Jimmy Millar was offered more money to go elsewhere (Dunfermline I think), but came to Ibrox. When a few of the team in 1962 - 63 started to dazzle and be noticed, they were offered transfers to other clubs but declined.

If you see footage of Davie Wilson playing, you could take him now from the mid 1960's put him into todays squad at Rangers and he would still stand out.

Last edited:
He can get anger management courses on the NHS mate as it’s not good for his health when your veins bulge in your neck

Especially when he's built like The Incredible Hulk mate. :))

There's not that much footage of the 1960 > 1965 team about, but what there is, is worth watching.

We often talk about the modern game and how the current players are all athletes etc, but these guys ran about with heavier kit on, heavier boots, a ball that could be heavy when damp and on heavy pitches for 90 mins.

For sheer skill, and for the love of playing the game and for the love of playing for our club, these guys are incomparable. Jimmy Millar was offered more money to go elsewhere (Dunfermline I think), but came to Ibrox. When a few of the team in 1962 - 63 started to dazzle and be noticed, they were offered transfers to other clubs but declined.

If you see footage of Davie Wilson playing, you could take him now from the mid 1960's put him into todays squad at Rangers and he would still stand out.
Spot on and there was never a warm up like today. Bit of a kick in and passing about for a couple of minutes before kick off - and guess what a lot less injuries in those days or were they just bigger and prouder men. Went to 1st team from age 5 (1962) so would have seen Caldow but too young. Recall start of 64/65 season Ritchie, Shearer Provan. Greig McKinnon and Baxter. Henderson Miller Forrest Brand and Wilson.

Been watching the Rangers since 1962 so I must have seen all eleven at some point, maybe not in one game. Although my first game was the pre-season “trial”, so that may have been the First XI in it.

Was Patterson the centre-half in the 7-1 debacle?
Sure there was a guy called John Valentine played (poorly) that day, although Patterson may also have played but Valentine took most of blame. Baillie was a carthorse as well according to my late father. Only good thing about that game was cameras missed about 5 of their goals.

In those days you knew who was playing before you went to the game and if anybody got injured you knew which reserve player would step in for them.

From that team who remembers who would take over if our goalie got injured during the game? No subs in them days.

. I remember one game at tynecastle must have been 1960 . Richie was carried off early in the first half . Bobby Shearer went in goals Jimmy Miller went to right back and we won 3-1 . A brilliant result

My first team:
Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow, Davis, Patterson, Baxter, Scott, McMillan, Millar, Brand & Wilson.
Mine too. But the first Rangers game I saw was away at Forfar in the Scottish cup. Must have been around 1958/9 Rangers won 9-1
I remember Max Murray was in the centre and can picture Alex Scott crossing and him bulleting a header into the net.
I was sold from that day on.

His aunt was a secretary at Mearns Primary We used to play in ex Rangers strips Short sleeves were like long.

Mine was.
Niven,
Shearer, Caldow.
Davis, Paterson and Baxter.
Scott, McMillan, Miller, Brand and Wilson.

Great team.

. I remember one game at tynecastle must have been 1960 . Richie was carried off early in the first half . Bobby Shearer went in goals Jimmy Miller went to right back and we won 3-1 . A brilliant result

You got it. Bobby Shearer was the regular deputy. I once saw Eric Caldow take over and I suspect it was because Shearer wasn’t playing, although my memory is a bit hazy on that.

Should have worded it better. I meant Provan took over from Caldow in the Rangers team. You're correct Davy Wilson went to left back at Wembley and was man of the match.

In 62/63, John Greig started at inside right as opposed to Ian McMillan. It was only later in the season he became right half back, which famously allowed Ian McMillan to play in that season's Cup final replay.

You also had Caldow out of the mix and George McLean in the mix.

In 62/63, John Greig started at inside right as opposed to Ian McMillan. It was only later in the season he became right half back, which famously allowed Ian McMillan to play in that season's Cup final replay.

You also had Caldow out of the mix and George McLean in the mix.

When did Johansen regularly take over from Shearer mate, or was there someone else between those 2?

Correct.
Scott was part of that team before he was transferred to Everton(?)! Good player but not a patch on Wullie!

HW
Correct.
Scott was part of that team before he was transferred to Everton(?)! Good player but not a patch on Wullie!

Henderson had taken Scott's place in the team but Scott was prefered to Henderson by the Scottish international selectors committee for the upcoming game against England.o_O

W.A.T.P.

Greig-MacKinnon-Baxter-Henderson -MacMillan-Millar-Brand and Wilson.

Feel bad for today's fans who don't have a settled team to memorize!
Yes, that was some team and only four were signed from other senior clubs. Shearer, Baxter, MacMillan and Millar. Ritchie, Caldow and Wilson came from the Juniors with Greig, MacKinnon, Henderson and Brand being developed and progressed at the club.

Sure there was a guy called John Valentine played (poorly) that day, although Patterson may also have played but Valentine took most of blame. Baillie was a carthorse as well according to my late father. Only good thing about that game was cameras missed about 5 of their goals.
You are right I was thinking of Valentine!
Apologies to Patterson if he was not part of that disgrace!

Spot on and there was never a warm up like today. Bit of a kick in and passing about for a couple of minutes before kick off - and guess what a lot less injuries in those days or were they just bigger and prouder men. Went to 1st team from age 5 (1962) so would have seen Caldow but too young. Recall start of 64/65 season Ritchie, Shearer Provan. Greig McKinnon and Baxter. Henderson Miller Forrest Brand and Wilson.

That's the side I would recall as well and what a team that was. Henderson and Forrest would still be teenagers, Provan, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter and Wilson would all be early twenties.
I don't think I even paid to see them as I always managed to get a lift over :))

Back