Roofe wants a new contract

Well there was a game against Betis not too long ago...
I should have clarified I meant after he went off injured in the 16th minute against St Johnstone.

However that Betis goal was a massive and vastly important goal. But my issue is the overall impact he has made in the last 2 seasons, which a lot of people have picked up on.

He's thirty odd, that's not going to change mate.
Age has nothing to do with it CLP it's mentality and anyone can adapt if they want to my friend!

He wants a new contract he would have to change for he is in 'The like to put the boot into The Rangers Players League' so no change makes the clubs decision easier, I am big fan of Roofe's he scores in big games and will if given the service!

The badge and jersey remains the same I trust the gaffer to make the right choice for his and our success and hopefully finds the player to fill any player's jersey to suit his vision of how he wants us to play!

Good day to you CLP

He said: “My future? Who knows? You’d need to ask the gaffer and people in control of the contracts.

“I’d like to stay, of course I would. I really like playing in this squad and under this gaffer. What he’s brought to the club is massive.

“He’s built a real machine mentality — we go again, it’s like a switch we have.

“We’re disappointed just now about Europe but we’ll recover and redouble our efforts. We have a Treble to go for this season and they could do the Quadruple next season.

“I truly believe that’s when you will see the results of his work.

“Everyone’s learning his style of play and what he wants, and it’s vice-versa with him.

“Once he gets a few injuries out of the system, then next season the machine should be really firing.

“It’s a great club, the fanbase is top. Being in competitions like the Champions League and Europa League is amazing

“So, for me, right now I’m just trying to play as many games as I can, do my best and help us get as many trophies as we can.”
With the greatest of respect Kemar don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out. One decent season and none in the last three.

I honestly don’t know what Roofe would be expecting in terms of a wage from his next deal.

Surely no one will give him what he gets with us given his injury record.

If he stays fit and does well between now and May who knows.

I’d expect him to be out the door though given the gaffers desire to have players who are available 90% of the time

1 year deal on drastically reduced terms? Might be in the managers thoughts if he thinks Roofe can stay fit…so probably not

None of this 'play as you pay' stuff, it's not a matter of money. Even if he is on a contract like that, only being able to rely on him for a handful of games will cost us.

Move one and get someone who we can rely on for the whole season.

Didn't Clement have a dig at players at the club that slightest of injuries wouldn't play and it was a mentality thing I reckon that was aimed at roofe
There's no chance he will be offered a new deal it's time for a refresh of the squad and hungry players pushing each other on for a starting place
The injuries we get are bad enough with resigning players that are perma crocks

If he scores the goals that win us the treble then give him a 1 year out of politeness.
Absolutely no chance. We’re coming to the end of March, if we win the league it’s not on him for showing up right at the death, the hard work has been done by his team mates who actually want to play football and will play even if they’ve got a broken nail or laddered their tights. The guys taken millions from the club while sitting at home on Instagram.

In the words of Gene wilder - “you get nothing (more)”

Last edited:
No chance, under any circumstances. One of the reasons the "we need a number 9" conversation comes up every time Dessers misses a chance is because we have a guy on our wage bill in that position who has been unavailable for huge chunks of the past three seasons, from vital league games to a Europa League final (well, the first 118 minutes or so). We have to move past thinking that is acceptable.

Absolutely no chance. We’re coming to the end of March, if we win the league it’s not on him for showing up right at the death. The guys taken millions from the club while sitting at home on Instagram.

In the words of Gene wilder - “you get nothing (more)”
Problem is Dessers isn’t up to it, jury still out on Danillo, so need to buy someone in summer. Might be a case of keeping a good 3rd option.

Problem is Dessers isn’t up to it, jury still out on Danillo, so need to buy someone in summer. Might be a case of keeping a good 3rd option.
No chance! There’s no way he’s signing a new deal with a drastic drop in wages, and we’re certainly not keeping him to be one of our top earners only to be a 3rd choice striking option.

I mean why would that even have to be an option anyway? His contract will end, it’ll be a massive wage freed up, and the transfer window will once again open where we can hopefully recoup reasonable money for Dessers and Lammers and then buy a striker who’s right for us.

No chance! There’s no way he’s signing a new deal with a drastic drop in wages, and we’re certainly not keeping him to be one of our top earners only to be a 3rd choice striking option.

I mean why would that even have to be an option anyway? His contract will end, it’ll be a massive wage freed up, and the transfer window will once again open where we can hopefully recoup reasonable money for Dessers and Lammers and then buy a striker who’s right for us.
Well you’ve hit the main point. He’d have to be on significantly reduced wages (which I doubt he’d accept)

I’m just thinking from a turnover point of view; are we better off with Roofe as a 3rd option than signing an unknown?

He is a professional being paid handsomely to do a job, that should be all the carrot he needs.

Big PC talked about the sort of availability he likes in a squad, i am sure he targets an average somewhere in the 90% for his players. That should see players like Roofe, rightly, allowed to leave without any sort of discussion of contracts at Rangers.
I agree with you completely

However, telling him right now he has no chance of a new contract we would never see him again. He'd spend the rest of the season in the treatment room. I keep reading about the importance of sports psychology. If this isnt a case where its needed i dont know what is

Given our injury list I really think we'll need all our assets if we are to win this title

Last edited:
Well you’ve hit the main point. He’d have to be on significantly reduced wages (which I doubt he’d accept)

I’m just thinking from a turnover point of view; are we better off with Roofe as a 3rd option than signing an unknown?
The way I see it mate, it’s not a question even worth pondering, because there’s no way the guy would accept significantly reduced wages anyway. He’s been happy sitting there raking in millions for doing very little beyond sitting at home, he’ll want to try and keep that going even if he has to do it elsewhere.

Above all else, us giving him a new deal would really have me questioning the sanity of the guys in charge.

Unless he's taking 25% of his current wage then no thanks.

That might actually be his best offer btw, can't see a queue of clubs at all willing to pick him up on his current salary

The way I see it mate, it’s not a question even worth pondering, because there’s no way the guy would accept significantly reduced wages anyway. He’s been happy sitting there raking in millions for doing very little beyond sitting at home, he’ll want to try and keep that going even if he has to do it elsewhere.

Above all else, us giving him a new deal would really have me questioning the sanity of the guys in charge.
Agreed; in my scenario I’d be assuming deal of the century for Gers!

I imagine that if he's to be offered a new contract the salary will be commensurate with that afforded to a bit part player.

Let's assume KR is presently on £20k a week.
I'd think we could get better output from a couple of Bosmans for less than that total

I agree with you completely

However, telling him right now he has no chance of a new contract we would never see him again. I keep reading about the importance of sports psychology. If this isnt a case where its needed i dont know what is
He is absolutely playing for his next contract, he needs to put in a right good couple of months to think he will get any sort of contract anywhere.

It isn´t in his interest to disappear, he needs to be playing games to get himself in the shop window.

I think there will be many more frank conversations between players, managers and agents than we as punters understand.

Telling him his next contract won´t be with us, which obviously hasn´t happened or the article would be quite different, in Roofe´s case should be a matter of stating the obvious and not required.

Ideally we sell dessers and lammers let roofe leave and sign 2 quality strikers,Danilo would make it 3

Ideally we sell dessers and lammers let roofe leave and sign 2 quality strikers,Danilo would make it 3
Problem is mate we thought we’d signed quality this summer and Lammers and Dessers are away out the door. Almost a “better the devil you know.”

My hope is that he gives his all for the remainder of this season in search of a new deal..somewhere else.

Just hasn’t worked out, unbelievable striker on his day and scored some great and important goals for us

You said he's had terrible luck with injuries

We knew he was injury prone when we signed him anderlecht couldn't wait to get shot of him
My point was that it's out of order to suggest he is picking when he's available to suit him.

I've no idea why you are arguing your point in response to my post. I haven't defended a signing policy of taking gambles on injury prone players, I've not even mentioned it.

He is absolutely playing for his next contract, he needs to put in a right good couple of months to think he will get any sort of contract anywhere.

It isn´t in his interest to disappear, he needs to be playing games to get himself in the shop window.

I think there will be many more frank conversations between players, managers and agents than we as punters understand.

Telling him his next contract won´t be with us, which obviously hasn´t happened or the article would be quite different, in Roofe´s case should be a matter of stating the obvious and not required.
Exactly this.
It's also the same reason why telling Barišić to sling his hook was the wrong thing to do.

At the end of the season, you say goodbye and thanks for your service.

Sorry Kemar but I would be very disappointed if we sign you again. Unless it's heavily influenced with some sort of pay as you play deal.

There surely won't be many teams willing to take a risk on him having seen his recent record. Could we give him a basic salary with a bonus if he is fit? Who knows but he can't stay on any longer on the current contract he has.

Back