Roofe

Jamie19892017

18 or 19 goals last season, predominantly from playing on the right. Why has he been bombed out?

I realise he is injury prone, but he's contributed another good haul of goals despite not playing much. He's said before that he prefers playing out wide. I cannot get my head around why we are not playing him with so few options on the right.

18 or 19 goals last season, predominantly from playing on the right. Why has he been bombed out?

I realise he is injury prone, but he's contributed another good haul of goals despite not playing much. He's said before that he prefers playing out wide. I cannot get my head around why we are not playing him with so few options on the right.
Because hes not fit?

I realise he is injury prone, but he's contributed another good haul of goals despite not playing much. He's said before that he prefers playing out wide. I cannot get my head around why we are not playing him with so few options on the right. It's

Very inconsistent with performance and fitness.
See I disagree. A far better option than Sakala and Arfield, in my opinion.

I think Gio lost a lot of trust with the players who showed zero at Parkhead. Although the role was not suited to Roofe in the slightest, as seen away to Lyon too.

Mad not to use Roofe, all it takes is an injury or suspension to Alfie and we have no sharp strikers.

Dc2tyAO.png

sqAmYNr.png

Which is fair enough if we have a plethora of options. But we don't. And we're currently alienating a guy who played a huge part in 55 with goals in big games and Europe. And for what? Its as bizarre as it is concerning.
To be honest I haven’t seen much to rave about from roofe this year. I was also annoyed he chose to go and play with Jamaica despite being side lined for long enough with injuries. I can imagine everyone started with a clean sheet when Gio came in - so something about him just isn’t to Gio or Roy’s liking. It’s either that or he is not 100% fit …. That pitch last night was a calf injury waiting to happen.

His performance in the Old Firm game was a complete embarrassment. If he’s replicating that level of performance and application in training then it would explain it clearly. I think a few have completely lost the trust of the manager after that game. Maybe a lack of consistency amongst it all the same.

I fear Gio simply doesn’t rate him.
I don't rate gio as a manager, roofe is a far better player than he is a manager, gio clearly didn't see his magnificent goal in Belgium from his own half wearing waders, the dortmund outcome as brilliant as it was is only a bonus competition for us, it has bought gio more time with the supporters.

Last edited:
He needs a run of games to get up to speed following his endless injury lay offs and the games are too important now to carry him

Gio wants wingers being wingers. Hugging the touch line. Roofe is better inside.

That said, he should be getting some time.

I would absolutely love to see a 3-4-1-2 with Kent in behind Morelos and Roofe. Imagine Roofe feeding off the lay-offs Morelos has been making?

The issue with Roofe has always been that not only is he injury prone, but he takes a long time to get back up to speed when he does return to fitness. He's not like Ryan Jack, who comes in from six months out and is the best player on the park right away. Roofe will take incremental steps of improvement before he's at his best. It's investing that time in him, with the risk he just ends up hurt again.

On top of that, I think it's clear Gio doesn't quite fancy him. His goals record speaks for itself though and it's a bit frustrating he hasn't even got the chance, even when fit.

I don't rate gio as a manager, roofe is a far better player than he is a manager, gio clearly didn't see his magnificent goal in Belgium from his own half wearing waders.
How on earth is Roofe a far better player than Gio is as a manager? Gio has just managed us to arguably our greatest ever European victory. Throw in his trophies in Holland including a league title he had no right to win. And that's before you mention his outstanding career as a player. Roofe did well at times last year but is injured constantly and is competing with probably our best player for starting role up front. Factor in his performance at Parkhead then it's no wonder he's not getting game time.

I think Gio lost a lot of trust with the players who showed zero at Parkhead. Although the role was not suited to Roofe in the slightest, as seen away to Lyon too.

Mad not to use Roofe, all it takes is an injury or suspension to Alfie and we have no sharp strikers.
If he really knew the players like he should, he would know that Roofe was not kind of player that could play the lone up front role.
Especially at their ground.

The performance of Diallo didn’t help Roofe at all that night.
He was another that never, should have been picked.
Like deer caught in headlines.

Gio wants wingers being wingers. Hugging the touch line. Roofe is better inside.

That said, he should be getting some time.
It started that way, but you certainly can't cite that when he plays Arfield as one of the front 3 as he has done recently. I'd much rather have Roofe playing there than Arfield, and I say that as one who has a lot of time for him. Two very similar chances on Wednesday, right side 12 to 15 yards out. One blazed over the bar the other past the post [slight touch from the keeper perhaps]. I tend to think Roofe would have scored one or both.

How on earth is Roofe a far better player than Gio is as a manager? Gio has just managed us to arguably our greatest ever European victory. Throw in his trophies in Holland including a league title he had no right to win. And that's before you mention his outstanding career as a player. Roofe did well at times last year but is injured constantly and is competing with probably our best player for starting role up front. Factor in his performance at Parkhead then it's no wonder he's not getting game time.

This.

If anyone looks at his goal scoring record compared to Morelos this season against actual good teams ( league & Europe and not Annan, Dunfermline etc ) Morelos goal rate per minute is around double Roofe once you take Roofe’s penalties out.

Had a great pre season & we’re still getting non availability or taking weeks until he’s able to start.

Im not sure Roofe is well suited to our formation. Not sure if I’m being harsh basing this on the OF game but I don’t see him as a CF. He also not a winger. Could perhaps do a job in behind Morelos but Aribo has that shirt at the moment.

It started that way, but you certainly can't cite that when he plays Arfield as one of the front 3 as he has done recently. I'd much rather have Roofe playing there than Arfield, and I say that as one who has a lot of time for him. Two very similar chances on Wednesday, right side 12 to 15 yards out. One blazed over the bar the other past the post [slight touch from the keeper perhaps]. I tend to think Roofe would have scored one or both.
Good point

Its looks like Roofe Wright Itten Davis Barasic Balogun Goldson are not in Gio's plans for next season and if Mcgregor retires and any of Aribo Kamara and Morelos are sold a hetic summer awaits.
I dont have a lot of confidence in Wilson

Gio is making a pigs dinner of his tenure, does putting out borussia help us win the league? This is about the league, go back to the celtc game, despite a horrendous showing by the defence and particularly barasic, he couldn't manage to change it until halftime !! it should have been sorted after the opening goal, in other games we score then sit back why ? Why only one sub in the last 2 games? Running players empty till they drop, arfield has played the last 4 games, he can't do it, he was shattered after 50 mins last night, he's sticking with mcgregor why ? He better not be alienating his subs bench much longer that's for sure,...finally I would nearly always play with 2 strikers

Gio lost all faith in him after the game against them
Which was entirely Gio’s fault.

He had ample opportunity to give him a start and 60 mins away to Ross County to build him up.

But no, our man Gio thought it would be reasonable to throw Roofe in a high-paced game away to our rivals having not had any minutes.

The summer could be a massive overhaul.

I’m not actually sure I trust Gio with that tbh.

McGregor
Goldson
Davis

Sell;

Borna
Roofe
Itten

Contracts;

Helander
Kent
Aribo
Alfie

We’ve got to make a call on those 4 as well.

Back