Rory Wilson - Villa offer 5 year deal

The question is.....is it actually worth our while having an academy if most of the absolute cream of the crop are poached for pennies?

Of course it is you need an academy to be granted a license to play in Europe. We can't compete with the money these clubs will offer kids down south but we can't complain too much as we do similar with clubs of other players.

The question is.....is it actually worth our while having an academy if most of the absolute cream of the crop are poached for pennies?
We supposedly got a fee of 350k for him when he went down to Villa. So although its a drop in the ocean of what he'll go on to be worth, it does soften the blow and make the academy worthwhile.

He’ll never be back at Rangers, villa are covering their investment with a 5 year deal and I’d imagine he’ll be well sought after.

To play in Europe, yip.
To get credit towards loses in FFP, yip.
To pinch other club’s players with the money we get paid when ours are pinched, yip.
To develop players like Patterson and make £16 million, yip.

That’s some of the many reason why we have to have an academy ill regardless if some of the best are gone before we see them.

That’s a question I’ve asked myself a few times,I think it would make a difference if the compensation was a bit more generous.

Does anyone know how much it costs each year to run the academy? Do we generally turn a profit? Genuine question as I don't know

To play in Europe, yip.
To pinch other club’s players with the money we get paid when ours are pinched, yip.

That’s some of the many reason why we have to have an academy ill regardless if some of the best are gone before we see them.
I think this post should convince Stevie its not cool to dis the academy.

He’ll never be back at Rangers, villa are covering their investment with a 5 year deal and I’d imagine he’ll be well sought after.
Exactly it's why you find the top clubs offering 2 year deals to 21 & 22 yr olds they want the development fee back for the training they've offered since that player joined , they sign loads of youngsters so they have to get money back in for their investment ...... rinse and repeat

Reactions: hms
Can’t be from very good stock is all I can say .

He goes so be it just like Gilmour,I can’t blame them .

Think we got a fee when Gilmour moved from Chelsea to Brighton. Don’t know if the Wilson deal has a similar sell on fee structure, but let’s hope so.

Sure Patterson, Gilmour and Wilson money would have covered a few years.

I’d rather an academy than a women’s team, am I allowed to say that
An academy will have more impact on the first team than the women's team
Why bring negative comments about having a women’s team into a thread about something completely different?

Both the academy & women’s team are important aspects of the club now and there is no reason why they can’t both prosper alongside the men’s team.

Btw the women’s team won the first piece of silverware available to them this season today and that’s something to celebrate for the good of the whole club.

Exactly it's why you find the top clubs offering 2 year deals to 21 & 22 yr olds they want the development fee back for the training they've offered since that player joined , they sign loads of youngsters so they have to get money back in for their investment ...... rinse and repeat
All part of the cycle, we need to be smarter with the Bailey Rice type players

He’s not the best technically, quickest or strongest.

But, he has something you can’t teach, he just knows where to be at the right time to put the ball in the net.
I must admit, I was disappointed with the few viewings I had of him particularly his first touch seemed erratic. The lad Doak at Liverpool looked to be on another level. Perhaps this is one where you bow to coaches superior knowledge.

Will/can the SFA change these rules to make it harder for our youth to be poached?

You'd think the SFA would be kicking down doors to do so.

To play in Europe, yip.

Access to Europe is probably the only thing that really decides it for us.

without knowing the financial situation my assumption is we probably at best break even with the big sells every decade or so at best. So the question is do we spend too much on it, hard to tell without the numbers.

I know you didn’t mention Bassey but others have but I really don’t think you can class Bassey as a success, if anything it provides argument that we should reduce our own youth development and spend more on picking up English players at cross border rates or Scottish players at other clubs. That would be my preference tbh. I genuinely couldn’t care less about youth players until they hit about 18 as I’ve known enough and heard about enough younger “superstars” than that that never made it.

If I’m being really honest, at rangers, unless you are exceptional you probably aren’t getting near our team until you’re early 20s so even 18-21 is always a bit of a lost cause with us. That’s not every club, but when we need to win every game or its a disaster thats a tough environment to be in at that age.

Back