Rory Wilson - Villa offer 5 year deal

Why bring negative comments about having a women’s team into a thread about something completely different?

Both the academy & women’s team are important aspects of the club now and there is no reason why they can’t both prosper alongside the men’s team.

Btw the women’s team won the first piece of silverware available to them this season today and that’s something to celebrate for the good of the whole club.
Correct mate and both woman's and mens teams are the ONLY ones from within their own leagues who can now achieve a domestic treble......................... I think ,anyway...... I'm sure someone will Correct me if I'm wrong

The question is.....is it actually worth our while having an academy if most of the absolute cream of the crop are poached for pennies?
I know that's football nowadays and everybody is in the pecking order but it scunners me when this happens. Gilmour would be a top quality midfielder for us right now. And I'm sure when this lad reaches Billy's age, he would be a top notch striker for us. I wish they would put an age limit in these young lads contracts where they can't be sold until their 21. Not even that, that's just something I thought of off the top of my head, but something needs to be done so we see the benefits of having a thriving youth academy. Otherwise it's pointless if you don't play in 1 of the top league's and aren't a top team in they league's. I know we do it but something needs to be done so we actually get to see these young lads come through and then can actually sell on for £20M +.

Maybe one way to help this would be to prohibit international moves (which would include Scotland to England as they have different FAs) for under 18s.

Would only be a small step but I think it might help. No doubt incur the wrath of the ‘freedom of movement’ crowd.:rolleyes:

Lowering the age to 14 wouldn't do much good.

Would probably be a 2 year contract max and the best ones would go at 16.

Back