Sakala

That’s the biggest issue really, and I find it staggering so many are completely fine overlooking it. To a lot of fans all that matters is the number on the excel sheet at the end of the season, doesn’t matter how the goals came about, who they came against or if the player in question failed to do it in the biggest moments that decided the destination of silverware. Forget any context at all; just focus on that number and forget the rest.

Baffling. But then as some other bloke said, I think it’s a bit of a comfort blanket for some fans who can’t deal with where we are, while others who’ve backed him to the hilt are just too stubborn to admit he’s a bit of a choker in the big moments and when we really need him. Look at the shite Van Vossen got for that miss 30 odd years ago. Fashion has managed that twice in a matter of weeks but it’s all good because he’s a happy happy and his tally looks decent at the end of a trophyless season. Quality.
Morelos was hero worshipped on here. He missed loads of chances against the bheasts.
Sakala has already scored twice against them and causes them problems each time he plays.

It’s the inconsistency. One minute Messi, the next minute Jerome Rothen.

The original point is a good one though, his great stats that cannot be overlooked.

Was Kent a better player? - yes. Was Kent more effective? - no, it appears not

I wonder what this board would have thought of "moody blue"

We have a lot of players to replace this summer and a limited budget.

I am not saying he is the perfect player. far from it. yes he misses some chances. But he has outperformed many others this season.

Like it or not, Sakala is not a priority to replace. Those "expecting better" really need to rethink their expectations.

maybe, with a more prolific frontman alongside him, the pressure comes off and he will be composed.

I like fashion, not least because he was a free transfer and, with those stats, will undoubtedly go for a healthy fee.
Player trading model and all that - every little helps.

Seen a lot of post here comparing him to our strikers, where he does not play as striker for us. He is predominantly a wide player who actually gets himself into the box to support our striker... he does that really well. He get himself into good positions, scores a decent amount of goals and always looks to go forward. I look forward to seeing him improve further next season, as his numbers so far have been great

Probably just memory Grigo but I remember them as more composed finishers.

I'd be interested to see the stats Clicker.

Stats were probably not kept as much then compared to now mate, so i'm unsure.

Both were very good strikers for us, especially Ally, but i had a look recently at seasons where Rangers strikers got over 20 league goals in a season & iirc Ally had 5 in 15 seasons & Kris got 3 in 6.

I'd expected better than that.

With Sakala it’s highly unlikely he’s suddenly going to improve. What we get with him is how it’s probably always going to be.

So we’ll continue to get games like Saturday when he cuts inside at pace past two or three defenders to score, and we’ll also get those matches when he looks like a Sunday League player with his boots on the wrong feet.

In that respect he’s nowhere near good enough to be a first choice starter, but he’s certainly a decent option off the bench.

At the same time, if someone offered us £3-4m this summer, I think we should probably take it.
It might also be the case the pressure is now off and he is now performing better merely as a result of that. His misses at Hampden give a huge question mark on how dependent we can be on him going into next season.

My old man is convinced Fashion will hit a purple patch where he pulls off everything he tries and bangs goals in for fun. Here's hoping it's next season! :))

No he isnt.

He works harder than Morelos, and running about like a headless chicken is eye catching.

But he's a technically poor player.
That's an appt description of Maeda but I guess it's aimed at FS. Sakala is better than Maeda not sure who anyone can think differently.

He has improved greatly under Beale, his pace when running at defences is a great asset to the team, plus his scoring record is pretty good. Give him another season before writing him off, he could be a first pick if it works out for him.

Contrary to popular belief, I dont think the two chances at Hampden were particularly easy chances, especially the one in league the cup final.

Hes easily worth a place in the squad.

He should've definitely scored both IMO but it's being made out as if he was standing on the goal line and missed.

He is woeful.

His 2nd half performance v Tims in League Cup Semi was a complete and utter embarrassment for a professional footballer.

We won’t win a thing with this guy in and around the first team.

Did you say the same about Kent and Morelos when they were having stinker after stinker against Celtic?

No way a ‘get him back’ post but today those chances Dessers had particularly the first half, Sakala scores them. He did miss 2 sitters against that lot from pretty much the same position is 2 different games but I thought when through on goal he was well composed. Always feel he was a decent enough backup to have, one of Beales mistakes letting him go. He seemed to enjoy playing against that lot.

No way a ‘get him back’ post but today those chances Dessers had particularly the first half, Sakala scores them. He did miss 2 sitters against that lot from pretty much the same position is 2 different games but I thought when through on goal he was well composed. Always feel he was a decent enough backup to have, one of Beales mistakes letting him go. He seemed to enjoy playing against that lot.
Sakala or Colak wodve scored some of Dessers chances

It was a mistake letting FS go.

Sakala's biggest problem was his pace. It gave him chances other players wouldn't have got but also meant he missed alot of easy chances as due to his pace he was never in a set position to take a shot.

Had his moments but not quite good enough,In saying that he was better than Lammers Dessers and Wright.

Back