Scotland Euro 2020 squad (all discussion here)

Our u21 players never seem to actually develop from good prospects at that level, into good players for the senior side.

Obviously not all of them will, but you’d expect a few to continually develop and get better for the senior side.

Having watched a fair bit of the 21s, it’s staggering SG is still their coach and the guy in charge of developing these youngsters.
Yeah there’s usually a bit of a gap between last Scotland under 21 game to first senior game.

McLean - 2 years
McGregor - 3 years
Armstrong - 3 years
Jack - 3 years
Fleck - 7 years (a wee bit different maybe)
Fraser - 2 years

No doubt the quality as a whole in the 21s isn’t the best and often they seem develop a bit later (physically and in a footballing sense). But it’s quite interesting anyway. All are now key players and spent a number of years in international wilderness.

Some folk must have been watching a different Turnbull to the one I watched repeatedly stink the place out for 60 minutes against us.

On the other hand, Clarke’s obsession with filling the squad with that lot could well bite them on the arse next season.

Turnbull is over rated, his work rate is poor to say the least and his fitness is suspect in that I don't think he manages 90 minutes. Patterson being over looked is a joke, his form has been excellent and against a far better level than what Turnbull was playing against.

Watch the gaps that appear in the midfield, as he continuously fails to track his man.

His contribution when his team are out of possession is pathetic mate and the main reason the Celtic midfield can't maintain any sort of tempo.
It's why average teams can play through them so easily.

A shite Celtic team is his level.

He is just an average player who doesn't work hard and is only interested when his team have the ball.

He gets to do whatever he likes which is why he pops up with goals and assists.

Modern day Chic Charnley.

I wouldn’t argue with that but Gilmour is better than most of the midfield players that Scotland have
I’m not sure if you can definitively say that yet mate, you could argue it of course but Patterson is undoubtedly the best right back!.

Both Jack and McLean would have been certainties for the squad. Their absence has probably given Gilmour the chance.

Would have Gauld in the squad ahead of Turnbull.

The clamour for Turnbull has been pathetic. It was inevitable though with Jack and McLean missing out.

Also the amount of idiots shouting for Griffiths to be in the squad is embarrassing, especially when one of the is
The clamour for Turnbull has been pathetic. It was inevitable though with Jack and McLean missing out.

Also the amount of idiots shouting for Griffiths to be in the squad is embarrassing, especially when one of the is Barry Ferguson.
Not many Rangers fans are interested in what Barry or his brother think about anything .

Dykes hit form towards the end of the season and Adams has been scoring again for Southampton recently.
As I say, zero interest in Internationals never mind Scotland national team, I'm not saying Griffiths should start, but he would at least be worth a thought for a Scotland manager.

If we had a progressive manager then older(shiter) players would be phased out for the next generation.

Patterson should be starting, so should Gilmour and the likes of Hanley etc should be retired our defenders are honking there must be better youth players out there.

Look at England doesn’t matter who you are or who you play for, in the main the form players play and you’re there on merit.

People keep going on about how great Clarke’s loyalty to the players is, maybe at club level but at international level it’s his worst trait as he doesn’t have the balls to drop people.

He has scored 3 goals in his whole Scotland career and thats when he was actually playing football. So what gives him the right to be called up now?
No one has a right to be called up. That's not even close to what I said, he would be in with a shout of making the squad is all I was saying.
Scoring goals for Scotland is a tough ask for anyone

If we had a progressive manager then older(shiter) players would be phased out for the next generation.

Patterson should be starting, so should Gilmour and the likes of Hanley etc should be retired our defenders are honking there must be better youth players out there.

Look at England doesn’t matter who you are or who you play for, in the main the form players play and you’re there on merit.

People keep going on about how great Clarke’s loyalty to the players is, maybe at club level but at international level it’s his worst trait as he doesn’t have the balls to drop people.
Believe it or not, this isn’t true.

Hanley has had a great season with a league winning side.

Him and Cooper are perfectly capable, with the latter captaining Leeds who are likely to finish in the top half of the EPL.

The issue being that they are both left footed along with Tierney who will play on the left of a back three.

Mckenna seems to have had a good season down south too, but again left footed.

Hendry had a great season in Belgium by all accounts.

None of the u21 defenders are anywhere near being good enough for the senior squad, Porteous is probably the closest.

Johnston is playing at a low level, and Welsh for the mentally challengeds isn’t very good.

Last edited:
Its quite laughable, really. No way would there be demands in the media for any Rangers player to be in a Scotland squad if we finished 25 points behind that mob.

There's no chance Nathan makes the squad (barring injuries to the players ahead of him). Clark, to be fair, will show loyalty to the players that got him to the tournament.

The most telling thing for me will be whether the new man (Clark having departed for the mentally challengeds) picks Nathan in his squad for the game versus Denmark on 1st September. Even if Tav is keeping Nathan out of our starting XI, he offers infinitely more than any plodder who's only claim is based on minutes on the board. That's when it'll be laid bare whether Scotland have any interest at all in development and building for the future.

I don’t agree with Turnbull being picked based on how little he has played over the last two years. Saying that, I would absolutely have him in the squad ahead of Christie. He can shoot from distance and hit decent free kicks unlike Christie.

Disagree. He has played half a season, gets hooked after 60 mins most games and has done absolutely nothing of note against us in any Old Firm game that would suggest he is as good as made out.

He can take a good free kick and decent shot on him but so does Charlie Adam.

Fair point but what has Gilmour done? Remember the likes of Fleck might be in this squad. I still think he's worth a squad place if it's 26, maybe not if it was 23.

Disgrace if Patterson is overlooked for O Donnell and Palmer . Surely Clarke isn’t that daft .
Taking away the Rangers bias here O'Donnell and Palmer have been regulars in the Scotland squad under Clarke so it would be a surprise if either of them wasn't on the plane bus.

Patterson has done well for a great Rangers side but could he come in and do well for a Scotland side that are going to struggle? I don't think Clarke will take the risk and he will stick with the players he knows. No doubts that Patterson will be in the Scotland squad soon but this tournament has probably come too soon for him.

The Gilmour selection is a no brainer though. Few injuries in midfield and has been running the show and getting man of the match awards at the top level.

Also the amount of idiots shouting for Griffiths to be in the squad is embarrassing, especially when one of the is Barry Ferguson.
Idiots gonna idiot :rolleyes:

Outstanding.

If he gets one chance he will take it and could mail down that position for years to come.

Astonished that common sense prevailed. Well done young man. A champion and an international. What a season.

Pleased for him.

As much as I have fallen out of love with the Scottish national team, I still want as many bears in there as possible and hopefully can start feeling something for them again.

Back