Match Thread Scotland v Netherlands

Aye, I know a few English folk and they are worried because it’s the first time in a while we’ve had so EPL players.

I think it’ll be closer than folk think, McTominay et al will be choking to get one over their team mates.

I'd agree with that.

They very well may beat us, but it will be like they've done to Austria tonight. An inspid 1-0 victory or something.

The people who talk about them like they're something we should be afraid of, some kind of all conquering juggernaught, have clearly been living in a parrallel universe to me for the past 30 years.

I'd agree with that.

They very well may beat us, but it will be like they've done to Austria tonight. An inspid 1-0 victory or something.

The people who talk about them like they're something we should be afraid of, some kind of all conquering juggernaught, have clearly been living in a parrallel universe to me for the past 30 years.
England just potter along against middling teams. Been that way for a couple of decades.

3pts wont be enough as our GD is bound to very low. 4pts might be enough but that might be enough for 2nd place in our group.
Depends on results in other groups.

There's six groups. You only have to be among the four best 3rd placed sides. To put it another way, four out of the six teams in 3rd spot go through.

One or two of the other 3rd place sides may only have 2 points.

Would everyone on here moaning about how many Tims, ex Tims, and might be Tims in the future in the Scotland squad mind telling me which of our squad could be playing tonight?
Any? Jack injured, Patterson out due to isolation. McLaughlin on the bench.
Any others?
Not only that but when we have a player selected, the same folk scream for them to be removed
Pisses me right off.
Think the term is, plastic Scots mate.
If their not interested well........

Would everyone on here moaning about how many Tims, ex Tims, and might be Tims in the future in the Scotland squad mind telling me which of our squad could be playing tonight?
Any? Jack injured, Patterson out due to isolation. McLaughlin on the bench.
Any others?
Not only that but when we have a player selected, the same folk scream for them to be removed
Pisses me right off.
I understand that a lot of Rangers fans don't like the Scotland national team (and in fairness there are some valid reasons for that) but this compulsion to tell the rest of us how much they hate Scotland/how shite Scotland are/moaning about the number of Mhanks in the squad is getting tiresome now.

It doesn't make you any more of a Rangers supporter. It just looks obsessive.

If you don't like it, don't watch. No one cares.

Thought Turnbull was reasonable. He looks really good in possession.

However- you can see his weaknesses out of possession. Completely switched off for first goal and looks really slow trying to keep up with players?

Turnbull, Forrest, McGregor and Christie... Deary me not one gets above 6/10

In fact Christie struggles to get near a 4

However- you can see his weaknesses out of possession. Completely switched off for first goal and looks really slow trying to keep up with players?
Don't get the hype around him if I'm honest. He might come good in the next few years but right now he's overrated.

Would much rather have Gilmour in ahead of him.

Scotland are ordinary but so are England, really.

I can't see us winning at Wembley but a draw isn't beyond us.
England were poor tonight but they have a considerably higher standard of players than Scotland. Watched a bit of Scotland it’s a team full of Celtic player, Celtic cast offs and guys who wanted to play for them. Add in the nationalists element in the support and they simply don’t represent me. Once upon a time I was a regular at Scotland games so it’s sad but not for me now.

England were poor tonight but they have a considerably higher standard of players than Scotland. Watched a bit of Scotland it’s a team full of Celtic player, Celtic cast offs and guys who wanted to play for them. Add in the nationalists element in the support and they simply don’t represent me. Once upon a time I was a regular at Scotland games so it’s sad but not for me now.
Nationalists only make up such a high % of the Scotland support because unionist Rangers supporters have walked away.

If we all came back we'd outnumber them several times over.

I also don't get the issue around Celtic players in the Scotland squad. Why shouldn't there be Celtic players there? They're the second best team in the country. It stands to reason that there's going to be Celtic players in the squad, especially when there isn't a huge number of Scots playing for us at the moment - and even then the likes of McLaughlin and Paterson are in there. As would McGregor if he hadn't retired.

Plenty of positives tonight. Hopefully Gilmour starts on Sunday (and Patterson too assuming he's fine)

We do have quite a few decent technical players coming through, coupled with good organisation - quietly optimistic we can get out the group.

I'm going to start putting a quid in a jar every time I read "don't represent me" and "Nationalists in the support" on here between now and the Euros. Reckon I'll get a tidy little stash.

Nationalists only make up such a high % of the Scotland support because unionist Rangers supporters have walked away.

If we all came back we'd outnumber them several times over.

I also don't get the issue around Celtic players in the Scotland squad. Why shouldn't there be Celtic players there? They're the second best team in the country. It stands to reason that there's going to be Celtic players in the squad.
Agree entirely. Most Scotland supporters want anyone representing the team to do well, whether they be Rangers, Celtic or any other teams players - it's only a minority that don't.

Supporting Scotland needn't be handed over to the nationalists unless we sit back and allow it.

Dutch take friendlies seriously, they manipulate the UEFA points awarded to boost their ranking for tournaments and are one of the past masters at this. They expected to beat us easily, as did I. However, Scotland manage to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory yet again.
Tbf that was never a free kick, that was a back in, grab a shirt and dive that Christie would've been proud of. Also, tbf, if we had a goalie instead of a statue he might've saved the freekick as it wasn't postage stamp material. Dived in the general direction he'd have saved it, wasn't exactly an Albertz special.

England will beat Scotland, I'm assuming it's at Wembley?
Yes it's at Wembley.

England will probably win but it wouldn't shock me to see Scotland get a point.

This isn't a strong England like the one at Euro 96, or the England side of Gerrard and Lampard.

Tbf that was never a free kick, that was a back in, grab a shirt and dive that Christie would've been proud of. Also, tbf, if we had a goalie instead of a statue he might've saved the freekick as it wasn't postage stamp material. Dived in the general direction he'd have saved it, wasn't exactly an Albertz special.
Depay was clearly going to take a shot. We should have put a man on the post. If we had, it would have been blocked.

Walls are overrated.

All joking aside about too many Celtic players in the team... Turnbull and McGregor were our 2 worst performers tonight and should be nowhere near Starting in the EURO's.

My team would be

GK - Any they are all around the same level.

RWB - Patterson (Quicker and more technically gifted than O'Donnell. He would exploit the space we get on the right far better than O'Donnell)

RCB - Hendry (has improved over in Belgium and is quick and decent on the ball. Shout out to Celtic for losing him for £1.6 mil and the Belgians selling him on for 3-4x that)

CB - Cooper (quick and decent on the ball. Levels above Hanley, Gallagher and McKenna)

LCB - Tierney (adds a great overload in the left with Robertson that ends up creating space on both wings)

LWB - Robertson (one of our best players)

CM - McTominay (one of our best players playing in his natural position)

CM - Gilmour (a potential once in a generation player. His technique and reading of the game are miles above his nearest competition [McGregor])

CAM - McGinn (it's his best position and he is a massive goal threat when he has a license to drive further forward)

ST - Dykes (he is a good out ball and physical threat. He also isn't the plodder people make out and actually has decent technique)

Support ST - Christie (while he has been poor for Celtic, he has popped up with big goals and good performances for Scotland in recent years)

With midfield I was tempted to go McGinn in CM and Armstrong at CAM (after how well Armstrong played tonight) but I just feel McGinn doesn't have the same level of impact in CM as he does at CAM.

Support striker is pretty much a toss up between Christie, Fraser and Adams. If Fraser gets fit I'd maybe go with him, as he had a few good games for us there.

Again out of puff after 70 minutes, very one footed and prone to switch off with no real awareness of what is going on around him. Defensively weak. Apart from that Crocker and co were bang on

Agree entirely. Most Scotland supporters want anyone representing the team to do well, whether they be Rangers, Celtic or any other teams players - it's only a minority that don't.

Supporting Scotland needn't be handed over to the nationalists unless we sit back and allow it.
I'm fairly certain statistically we still make up over 33% of the Scotland support and make up the largest support from one club.

Before everything in 2012 it was over 50% so a lot of our fans have stopped caring about Scotland, but we are still the largest part of the Scotland fanbase.

I can't be sure that England will pump Scotland, but it will be a fairly straightforward win for England nonetheless.
Scotland will struggle to score goals against them and England have players that the Scottish defence will struggle to cope with.
Maybe if Clarke can break the mould and take a chance with emerging and on form players, then maybe there could be a more exciting outcome.
But he won't.

Dutch take friendlies seriously, they manipulate the UEFA points awarded to boost their ranking for tournaments and are one of the past masters at this. They expected to beat us easily, as did I. However, Scotland manage to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory yet agai

I'd agree with that.

Agree. Engerland are over rated. They're actually not very good.

All joking aside about too many Celtic players in the team... Turnbull and McGregor were our 2 worst performers tonight and should be nowhere near Starting in the EURO's.

My team would be

GK - Any they are all around the same level.

RWB - Patterson (Quicker and more technically gifted than O'Donnell. He would exploit the space we get on the right far better than O'Donnell)

RCB - Hendry (has improved over in Belgium and is quick and decent on the ball. Shout out to Celtic for losing him for £1.6 mil and the Belgians selling him on for 3-4x that)

CB - Cooper (quick and decent on the ball. Levels above Hanley, Gallagher and McKenna)

LCB - Tierney (adds a great overload in the left with Robertson that ends up creating space on both wings)

LWB - Robertson (one of our best players)

CM - McTominay (one of our best players playing in his natural position)

CM - Gilmour (a potential once in a generation player. His technique and reading of the game are miles above his nearest competition [McGregor])

CAM - McGinn (it's his best position and he is a massive goal threat when he has a license to drive further forward)

ST - Dykes (he is a good out ball and physical threat. He also isn't the plodder people make out and actually has decent technique)

Support ST - Christie (while he has been poor for Celtic, he has popped up with big goals and good performances for Scotland in recent years)

With midfield I was tempted to go McGinn in CM and Armstrong at CAM (after how well Armstrong played tonight) but I just feel McGinn doesn't have the same level of impact in CM as he does at CAM.

Support striker is pretty much a toss up between Christie, Fraser and Adams. If Fraser gets fit I'd maybe go with him, as he had a few good games for us there.
Very close to my selection only difference for me is I’d start with Adams instead of Dykes.
I think Clarke will pick Dykes though.
I also think Clarke will not have the bottle to start both Patterson and Gilmour.
I’d love it if he did

Hope England pump Scotland. Mad to think after everything we've seen this summer Rangers fans still vote SNP or support Scotland. I'd rather see a GB team.

Very close to my selection only difference for me is I’d start with Adams instead of Dykes.
I think Clarke will pick Dykes though.
I also think Clarke will not have the bottle to start both Patterson and Gilmour.
I’d love it if he did
Aye I can see him going with O'Donnell. Tbh I think Patterson having to isolate again has probably stopped him starting at the EURO's. He has now pretty much missed his chance to impress and "convince" Clarke he is ready. He'll might get 45 minutes against Luxembourg but his match fitness will be miles off by the EURO's. He hasn't played in like 6 weeks(?) Just now, so I can see Clarke using that as an excuse.

I get the feeling he will go with McTominay, McGinn and Armstrong as our midfield 3. Armstrong had a very good game and has came off of a very good season for Southampton. Still a very good midfield but I just feel Gilmour is something special that could be a game changer for our style in midfield.

I have no problem with the scotland team at all and hope they do well.

Being in amongst people with a yes flag, is another thing. Rangers fans definitely didnt bring politics into it.

Hope England pump Scotland. Mad to think after everything we've seen this summer Rangers fans still vote SNP or support Scotland. I'd rather see a GB team.
I like to think as an individual and not as part of a block which is why I will support the guys who don the dark blue whoever they play for.

I sympathise with your point regards voting SNP but I would aim that at all Scots not just the Rangers supporting one's.

Last edited:
The Czech game is a must win, or at least must not lose. Get points on the board, and take on Croatia as the "cup final". England game will look after itself.

That Ref was pathetic, never seen so many fouls in a friendly. He allowed the Dutch to get away with constant fouling. Friendly or no friendly he should have sent that big prick off for his high boot.

The Dutch know how to foul and niggle and dive like the best of them, disappointed in the way they played, and that foul at the end on Memphis was a joke.

Each to their own, I suppose. International football for many bears I know is a divide for many reasons. Definitely get worse since 2012, but was on the decline when Ferguson and McGregor with hotel drinking session and subsequent suspension kicked off a couple of years earlier.

I grew up seeing great players for Rangers and Scotland in 80s and 90s, and don't really equate SNP to Scotland national team - so I'll continue to support.

I'd agree with that.

There is definitely a very cautious vibe about the England team from what I've gathered from the media, probably to do with the mood of the country and Europe really regards to pandemic. I honestly feel a complete outsider could do this tournament, just like Greece in 2004.

I think we will either get hammered by pengland or we will scrape a win. As they will go full blow against us. That's were likes of o fucking donnell worry me.

Which means Clarke will play our "not to lose" approach.
That first half against Israel in march.

Trying our best not to lose against a team who aren't of our level. They have Solomon, Dabbur and Zahavi but beyond that they are a level below us.

It was actually embarrassing to watch

Back