Match Thread Scotland v Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.
When at their club games, perhaps. The same way we would despise them. At a scotland game, you are massively incorrect.
The hatred towards Rangers by other fans is absolutely unparalleled. I am indifferent towards the vast majority of Scottish clubs; I can guarantee you however that the fans of those clubs, by in large, detest Rangers.

I think its been established it happened on saturday. You cant wish it away. It happened. So telling an arse who was booing a player of the team you were both supporting would make you a Bam?
Well, as far as I, the 6 guys I go with, several posters on here and anyone at my work who went to the game then no, it didnt happen. If you are taking what a handful of people apparently did and associating that to the rest of the support then you need your head checked. You would be going ballistic if someone tarred the entire Rangers support at Ibrox with something based on what a handful of people allegedly did.

And yes, getting into an altercation with someone at football over something so daft (didnt happen) would absolutely make me a bam.

The hatred towards Rangers by other fans is absolutely unparalleled. I am indifferent towards the vast majority of Scottish clubs; I can guarantee you however that the fans of those clubs, by in large, detest Rangers.
OK, lets assume that is true. What relevance would that have to you standing and supporting the national team?

OK, lets assume that is true. What relevance would that have to you standing and supporting the national team?

The relevance it has is that the hatred towards Rangers has been vocalised in the form of booing (not directed towards a Scotland player of any other club). Standing at a Scotland game and hearing a Rangers player being booed is not something I want to experience, hence it stops me going to Scotland games.

I think that answers your question.

The relevance it has is that the hatred towards Rangers has been vocalised in the form of booing (not directed towards a Scotland player of any other club). Standing at a Scotland game and hearing a Rangers player being booed is not something I want to experience, hence it stops me going to Scotland games.

I think that answers your question.
It doesnt really though as, unless you build a time machine and boost back to pittodrie in 2017, you wont hear it. Roars of applause when Jack was clapped off on Saturday after playing well, patterson roared on yesterday, ferguson roared on, Gilmour applauded etc. You have created some made up scenario in your head which doesnt remotely represent the actual event.

See the stat above. As good as Dykes was, you're still on the sauce from last night if you think Spain are calling up a guy who struggles to score goals in the English Championship.
There was no drinking last night or today.

Well we will never know but maybe that is why they are falling further behind in international football. He might not score goals(although he has for Scotland) but what he does for the team is obvious.

Last night they were outclassed. If you think it is because Scotland were excellent fair enough but id say it was a bit of both, Scotland played very well and they are no longer a top nation.

So, just so I understand this, I made the point and your response was 'nonsense, where was this survey'. You are then provided with the survey from the SFA (who apparently 'hate' us and I am sure would be unlikely to show us in a positive light) and your response is basically 'Yeah well, I dont like those results so I just wont believe them'.

I think if all Rangers Fans who were scottish were surveyed, and not just the noisy minority on a football forum, you would find the results very surprising.
I remember filling out the survey as it went out to all Scotland Supporters Club Members - it's as accurate a view as you'll get.

Anecdotally my group of 6 has 3 Rangers fans, 1 Liverpool and 2 diddy team fans, and I know plenty other Rangers fans who go - given we make up around half the football fans in the country is it that surprising?

Fair enough if you've no time for the national team, but a bit pathetic seeing some folk trying to paint the general support as something they aren't.

I remember filling out the survey as it went out to all Scotland Supporters Club Members - it's as accurate a view as you'll get.

Anecdotally my group of 6 has 3 Rangers fans, 1 Liverpool and 2 diddy team fans, and I know plenty other Rangers fans who go - given we make up around half the football fans in the country is it that surprising?

Fair enough if you've no time for the national team, but a bit pathetic seeing some folk trying to paint the general support as something they aren't.
Agree completely. And, after reading your post, I searched my emails and I too have the survey email. It doesnt suit the made up narrative though so it will be dismissed.

Its not remotely surprising that we make up the most supported club at the games. People get lulled into thinking that a few hundred posters, if that, on a football forum is remotely indicative of the fanbase as a whole on every issue. Its not the case.

There was another SSC survey done last year, I filled it out but can't remember if it asked about club allegiances or not.

It didn't, but I know from speaking the someone in the SFA that from the people who renewed that Rangers were by far still the favoured team by members.

Well, as far as I, the 6 guys I go with, several posters on here and anyone at my work who went to the game then no, it didnt happen. If you are taking what a handful of people apparently did and associating that to the rest of the support then you need your head checked. You would be going ballistic if someone tarred the entire Rangers support at Ibrox with something based on what a handful of people allegedly did.

And yes, getting into an altercation with someone at football over something so daft (didnt happen) would absolutely make me a bam.
There was absolutely no reason for the people who reported that it happened(also posters on here) to be lying. They were at the game also. If you personally never witnessed it it doesnt mean it never happened. I know i have to tread a bit warily with yourself cos the last time i responded to one of your condescending posts it resulted in me being banned for a week for what was only constructive criticism but you are saying Scotland fans put their club support aside at internationals and a lot clearly cant. If you cant admit that then i would suggest its you who "need your head read"

Nay future Nostradamus's in this thread?

Best comment at the end of the game came from the wee burd,
Interviewing ......McCoist!

Could we win the tournament noo Ally?
McCoist ......Geeza break ......Woman can't live with them, can't live without them?

So there it is, we're not on the March with Ally's Army???

There was absolutely no reason for the people who reported that it happened(also posters on here) to be lying. They were at the game also. If you personally never witnessed it it doesnt mean it never happened. I know i have to tread a bit warily with yourself cos the last time i responded to one of your condescending posts it resulted in me being banned for a week for what was only constructive criticism but you are saying Scotland fans put their club support aside at internationals and a lot clearly cant. If you cant admit that then i would suggest its you who "need your head read"
I have repeatedly said i have no problem with people not liking international football. But I find the concept that the entire fanbase boos Rangers players to be laughable hyperbole. And, I genuinley dont know anyone who heard it. Its also as clear as it can be that Rangers fans are the most supported club at Scotland games so I also disagree with the idea that Hampden on nights like last night 'hates Rangers' or even cares about any club side.

As for your ban, I have no idea what comment you said nor have I ever reported you for any reason.

Agree completely. And, after reading your post, I searched my emails and I too have the survey email. It doesnt suit the made up narrative though so it will be dismissed.

Its not remotely surprising that we make up the most supported club at the games. People get lulled into thinking that a few hundred posters, if that, on a football forum is remotely indicative of the fanbase as a whole on every issue. Its not the case.

This forum doesn't even reflect the feelings of the Rangers support let alone Scotland. Its such a tiny sample of either fan base.

Great result last night for sure. Does seem a strange period in European football though. I can't remember a period where the German, Spanish & Italians seem to be going through a recycling of talent at the same time.

What a f*cking game last night, tremendous performance. I don't get how some can't support the NT.
I'll try to explain my thinking. I admit I've lost a lot of interest in all football, not just international games.

As I'm on cooncil tv, I don't get very much football on tv these days. No European club football whatsoever.

I stick by Rangers as it's in the blood, but football in general has now became one huge soap opera, with many stories that don't reach the sports pages. I think that wagatha christie nonsense which we were told has gripped the nation, was the final straw for me.

That doesn't take away from a great result last night. Credit is well deserved. As i posted earlier, I seen us beat spain 3-1 in 85. Going into the game we fancied our chances without being too confident,but what a difference from the players we have now to back then. Makes last night a fine achievement.

I said on Sunday I thought this game would suit Clarke. It's effectively like taking a Kilmarnock to Ibrox or parkhead. Clarkes prob had more success as a manager against the old firm than anyone else since we came back into the league
I'm sorry mate, but walter used these tactics to get us to the UEFA final. In fact we were happy to leave Ibrox with a 0-0 draw, which kept us well in it for the away leg.

And listen to "supporters" boo Rangers' players? No thanks.

The vast majority of Scotland fans despise Rangers. Absolutely despise everything about us.

I want the team to do well, but you would not find me at at Scotland game.

I'm no sheep - i'm making an informed decision based on the hatred towards my club and people.
Put your big boy pants on and grow up. "Oh no, some people don't like Rangers, how will I get over this"

So what? We are there to support Scotland. It's nothing to do with Club football. And what happened to "no one likes us, we don't care"?

I'll try to explain my thinking. I admit I've lost a lot of interest in all football, not just international games.

As I'm on cooncil tv, I don't get very much football on tv these days. No European club football whatsoever.

I stick by Rangers as it's in the blood, but football in general has now became one huge soap opera, with many stories that don't reach the sports pages. I think that wagatha christie nonsense which we were told has gripped the nation, was the final straw for me.

That doesn't take away from a great result last night. Credit is well deserved. As i posted earlier, I seen us beat spain 3-1 in 85. Going into the game we fancied our chances without being too confident,but what a difference from the players we have now to back then. Makes last night a fine achievement.

How you're on council telly, when firesticks are available for about 30-40 quid a year is mad mate.

Why do some Scotland fans boo Rangers players then? To me, that exposes your argument and position.
It's a tiny minority, and it happens once in a blue moon. You don't bother about Aberdeen any other time and regard them as an irrelevance, but get bent all out of shape if a couple of them boo a Rangers player? Are you incapable of rising above it?

I'm sorry mate, but walter used these tactics to get us to the UEFA final. In fact we were happy to leave Ibrox with a 0-0 draw, which kept us well in it for the away leg.

Exactly mate. Never been a huge Scotland fan over the last decade or so but what Clarkes done for them is admirable. Plus from the highlights I seen, Scotland had the much cleaner chances and could have won it by a lot more.

A lot of us are still hurting over 2012 and a couple of incidents with Ryan Jack, myself included for a long time. The thing is though, we're all scottish and the anti Scotland fans (myself included for a while) in our support all secretly want Scotland to do well. It's ingrained into us whether we want to admit it or not.

It's a tiny minority, and it happens once in a blue moon. You don't bother about Aberdeen any other time and regard them as an irrelevance, but get bent all out of shape if a couple of them boo a Rangers player? Are you incapable of rising above it?
But it happens ... and it represents an underlying hatred felt by many within the Tartan Army, irrespective of the fact that only a few chose to audibly boo.

Rise above? What are you suggesting I do? Go to Scotland games and ignore it/laugh it off? No thanks

I couldn't stand amongst even a small minority who boo only Rangers players.

Each to their own. I'm not going to criticise you for going to games - I just chose not to.

You'll find me down at Wembley ...

(That's a joke btw)

But it happens ... and it represents an underlying hatred felt by many within the Tartan Army, irrespective of the fact that only a few chose to audibly boo.

Rise above? What are you suggesting I do? Go to Scotland games and ignore it/laugh it off? No thanks

I couldn't stand amongst even a small minority who boo only Rangers players.

Each to their own. I'm not going to criticise you for going to games - I just chose not to.

You'll find me down at Wembley ...

(That's a joke btw)
You're going on as if it's a regular occurrence, when in reality you could count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times it's happened.

Jack got booed by some buffoons from Aberdeen who can't get over him coming to us.

McGregor (a few years ago) & Patterson more recently were not booed to my knowledge.

I've also been witness to someone getting a slap on an away trip for booing Stephen O'Donnell and calling him shite. Folk are arseholes.

Last edited:
I have repeatedly said i have no problem with people not liking international football. But I find the concept that the entire fanbase boos Rangers players to be laughable hyperbole. And, I genuinley dont know anyone who heard it. Its also as clear as it can be that Rangers fans are the most supported club at Scotland games so I also disagree with the idea that Hampden on nights like last night 'hates Rangers' or even cares about any club side.

As for your ban, I have no idea what comment you said nor have I ever reported you for any reason.
Thats the thing, i actually dont mind international football and always want scotland to win regardless of who plays for them. I know when i used to go to scotland games(not many admittedly) i know for a fact there were a lot of Rangers fans present but you wouldnt have known who they supported cos they were there to support the national team.
Nowadays it seems hard to argue that there are a lot of bellends present who have this nationalist thing going and also happen to have a loathing for Rangers and a lot of them make no effort to disguise it at scotland games. If the support is indeed still majority Rangers then these Kunts should be made to feel that its them that aint welcome.
As for my ban it was cos of the Gary lineker thread a few week back, i was perhaps a wee bit cheeky to a couple of people so if it wasnt you who reported me i apologize for making that assumption.

Cept when it comes to booing Rangers players who are playing for the team they are support natch. Whether a tiny minority or not it happens. A question to you if, if some arse next to you gives it to Ryan Jack what do you do? Ignore it? Giggle sheepishly? Tell the prick to button it? What?
I’ve booed a Dundee Utd player when playing for Scotland. So what. Bannon was shit that night right enough.

Thats the thing, i actually dont mind international football and always want scotland to win regardless of who plays for them. I know when i used to go to scotland games(not many admittedly) i know for a fact there were a lot of Rangers fans present but you wouldnt have known who they supported cos they were there to support the national team.
Nowadays it seems hard to argue that there are a lot of bellends present who have this nationalist thing going and also happen to have a loathing for Rangers and a lot of them make no effort to disguise it at scotland games. If the support is indeed still majority Rangers then these Kunts should be made to feel that its them that aint welcome.
As for my ban it was cos of the Gary lineker thread a few week back, i was perhaps a wee bit cheeky to a couple of people so if it wasnt you who reported me i apologize for making that assumption.
No problem. It wasn’t me. I haven’t ever reported anyone on here. Its a forum, people disagree. As long as folk dont get personal, i have no issue

I regularly go to watch Scotland away from home and I can assure you there is no particular dislike voiced against Rangers. When people find out what club I support, there is no more banter than you'd expect from the people you work with. This whole thing about loathing Rangers is completely made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back