Scottish Fitba

No you can't amalgamate teams.

What right do we have to suggest to Motherwell / Accies fans (just as example) that both of their clubs are to stop playing and become one club? Quite rightly both fans wouldn't support this new club as they are too heavily involved emotionally in the club they love.

Just because we have a large fanbase doesn't give us the right to suggest smaller clubs should disband and form clubs with other local teams. Imagine for one moment Rangers and Celtic weren't the biggest clubs in Scotland and you had fans of the biggest supported club(s) telling us to merge? You would tell them where to go and rightly so.

Every team in Scotland has it's own place in the system, whether the pyramid is too big is another debate though.

I'm not saying it's right or that it would be easy.

I'm looking at our league and what we're doing wrong in comparison to others around the world.

As I said, we've got a top league level club for every 131,000 people.

In Holland they've got one club for every 447,000 people.

It's a simplistic argument (at this level) but if we analysed it in greater depth, I think it would hold true as an argument. Instead of having one decent size club for the rest of Glasgow and its surrounding areas, we've got a division of resources among 10 or more of them.

Back