Scottish Football Writers - Manager of the Year nominees

It's not going to be Clement.

I love the guy, but regardless of the bin fire he inherited, he is currently sitting 2nd with the team who, at the start of the season, the football writers expected to finish 2nd. That is how the writers will spin it.

He has done well to turn around a seriously disjointed, ailing squad, but he's still to win a game against the only team with a comparable budget.

Last edited:
It's not going to be Clement.

I love the guy, but regardless of the bin fire he inherited, he is currently sitting 2nd with the team who, at the start of the season, the football writers expected to finish 2nd. That is how the writers will spin it.

An old firm manager should only get it if they've already won the league cup, miles ahead in the league and in the final of the Scottish Cup.

McInnes has done a really good job at Killie. Qualified for Europe and hasn't lost a league game to anyone but us for over 5 months. The fact he knocked them out the League Cup and took points off them home and away gets him bonus points. Fingers crossed they go the rest of the season undefeated!
PC won't win it of course, but good to see the fact he got a tune out of the shitshow he inherited be recognised at least.

Again - timing? Why don’t they wait till the end of the season to vote?

If Clement were to pull off the miracle of the treble from what he inherited there would be no discussion.

Otherwise it’s McGlynn for me.

McInnes looks favourite for that.

Obviously hope it doesn't happen, but it will look a bit daft if they win the double and their manager isn't in the top 4.

This daft charade should have been binned forever after Walter was snubbed.

Its now just an annual embarrassment.

Tbf, Clement, in his tenure, is 4 points clear of Celtic with one cup in the bag and another final.

It's Beales start that's done us in.
If he wins the league then he fully deserves MOTY, if the filth win the title, it doesn't matter how many points better off than Celtic he was since he took over.

You could make a point about a catastrophic slump which he had overseen which will count against him.

McGlynn unbeaten season at a club that had become a poisoned chalice and considered sacking him in the summer.

McInnes leading Killie to Europe and giving us and them a bloody nose.

Docherty took over a Dundee side that stumbled over the line in the championship, canned their manager, had about 6 players signed up and has taken them to their highest finish in yonks.

If Clement hadn't had the struggles over the last few weeks I think he'd have been right in the running, but McGlynn for me has to take it. We know ourselves regardless of budget how hard it is to go a full season unbeaten.

if Clement had already secured the title, it would be him.

mcinnes has to win that though, he has done some job turning Killie around.

The fact it shows the impact each one has had and it is probably the right shortlist

When it should be announced is another matter

McInnes or McGlynn if right now Clement if based after the season has finished and we have another trophy/trophies secured

Brenda will be raging. How is not the only nominee ? He's the man who said " I've seen off 5 Rangers managers" .Not "we've seen off 5", which shows its all about him.

This daft charade should have been binned forever after Walter was snubbed.

Its now just an annual embarrassment.
Earlier than that, Jock Wallace won a treble, humping Manager of the Year Billy McNeill’s Aberdeen in the process.

If he wins the league then he fully deserves MOTY, if the filth win the title, it doesn't matter how many points better off than Celtic he was since he took over.

You could make a point about a catastrophic slump which he had overseen which will count against him.

I couldn't care less about individual awards. Just pointing out, if you isolate Clements job, it actually looks pretty good.

Depends when you judge it - if today then the Falkirk guy. After the Scottish cup it might be Phil. Might not.

Daft to award it now.

The timing of all these end of season awards makes it hard to take serious. Let the season play out fully or don't bother at all. Absolute nonsense.

McInnes looks favourite for that.

Obviously hope it doesn't happen, but it will look a bit daft if they win the double and their manager isn't in the top 4.
Not really, if it was based on trophies won it would be an OF manager every year. It's a far greater achievement to do what McInnes has done this season on a shoestring budget and having been shite last season than it is to spend millions and win everything.

Not really, if it was based on trophies won it would be an OF manager every year. It's a far greater achievement to do what McInnes has done this season on a shoestring budget and having been shite last season than it is to spend millions and win everything.
I didn't say if they won the double, their manager should win it.
I said it would look daft he wasn't in the top 4.

Winning a league cup and last 16 isn't enough to warrant manager of the year.

If he wins the league definitely.

Well, if they keep telling us its what you do in Europe and not what you do in Scotland, then what is the criteria to win MOTY then. ?

Will be hilarious looking back if we win a treble and Clement doesn't win this, but would completely understand if they give it to Del or McGlynn.

Back