Scottish players who played abroad

Booth also ended up playing in Holland. Possibly Utrecht?

Rob McKinnon played for Twente.
Craig Brewster played in Greece.

A few journeymen have played in MLS.

Stuart Munro played for a couple teams in Australia (Blacktown city and Sydney United) at the tail end of his career.

Bud Johnston - Vancouver Whitecaps.
Steve Archibald going to Barcelona still amazes me.

The one that came to mind (from before my time admittedly) was Joe Baker from Hibs who ended up with Dennis Law at Torino - then remembered that although he grew up in Scotland he was, in fact, English :rolleyes:
His brother Gerry was born in the USA and capped for them.He played for St Mirren and Motherwell.

Derek Riordan played briefly in China.

Didn't like the food apparently -" Not like the proper Chinese food you get at home." :))

(In light of current events maybe he had a point.)

It was Darren Jackson in his brief time in China who commented regarding the food. Fucking idiot.

His brother Gerry was born in the USA and capped for them.He played for St Mirren and Motherwell.
Joe also played for Arsenal and Forest and capped for England.
Joe ended up running a pub in Craignuek,which burnt down.There were plenty of questions asked regarding the circumstances.

Eric Black - Metz
Jimmy Calderwood - 4 teams in Holland
Ally Dick - Ajax
Brian O’Neill - Wolfsburg
Garry O’Connor - Lokomotiv Moscow
John Inglis - Levski Sofia
Craig Brewster - Ionikos

It was Darren Jackson in his brief time in China who commented regarding the food. Fucking idiot.
Not Scottish but Ian Rush reportedly said about his time in Italy - 'it was like living in a foreign country.'

He has since denied saying it.

Last edited:
Davie Weir played as a striker for a college team in the US for 2 years.

Tony Watt played for Liege, Lierse, and Leuven in Belgium, CSKA Sofia in Bulgaria.

Davie Provo wrote in his column donkeys years ago, there was a very famous Scottish Internationalist wanted by a top European club, he turned down the move as his Mrs didn’t want to be apart from her mammy and daddy.

Sounds ridiculous, but probably true, he never did name the player.

There was a player called Ally Dick,who went from Spurs to Ajax in the 70s.
He never played many games at either club.

Harvey St Clair plays for Venezia although he's on loan to Kilmarnock now.
I told the missus that trip to the stadium was gonna be more useful than St Marks.

Garry O'Connor -Lovomotiv Moscow
Steven Lennon -A few unpronounceable Icelandic teams

Peaked as a schoolboy in the famous 5-4 victory Vs England at Wembley circa 1980. Didn't really progress much as a pro - injuries ? He was a tremendous talent as a kid

Davie Provo wrote in his column donkeys years ago, there was a very famous Scottish Internationalist wanted by a top European club, he turned down the move as his Mrs didn’t want to be apart from her mammy and daddy.

Sounds ridiculous, but probably true, he never did name the player.

Anything that wee rhat Provan writes sounds ridiculous

Thats right i think Ross played for Viking in Norway, which reminds me Charlie Miller played for Brann
He did indeed, used to give him a regular WATP shout at games. Beverly's pub in Stavanger for the Gers games and a couple of beers on the ferry out to Viking Stadium, those were the days :))

Dave Smith was well travelled, played for Arcadia in Pretoria and Los Angeles Aztecs.

1986, not the seventies.

Cruyff wanted to sign Cooper for Ajax, Souness rebufffed him, but pointed him to Dick as a similar type.

Injuries done for him thereafter

The one that came to mind (from before my time admittedly) was Joe Baker from Hibs who ended up with Dennis Law at Torino - then remembered that although he grew up in Scotland he was, in fact, English :rolleyes:
Think he was classed as being English as he was born there, due to his dad being in the navy. Those were the rules in them days.

Alan-McInally-767715.jpg

In Bayern, with Munich, in Bayern...

Peaked as a schoolboy in the famous 5-4 victory Vs England at Wembley circa 1980. Didn't really progress much as a pro - injuries ? He was a tremendous talent as a kid
Most Scottish football fans of a certain generation remember him for that game and for his Spurs debut.

In fact, his career amounted to no more than 53 appearances with Spurs, Ajax and two or
three diddy clubs.

Joe Baker was born in England as his family was based at Aldershot, I believe, to Scottish parents while his Dad was doing his National service. His brother Gerry was born in Scotland, Joe was an English international player but if it was these days he could have been selected for Scotland. The criteria for international selection was very strict at that time and to be selected to play for a country you had to have been born there. Scotland's loss was England's gain!:(

W.A.T.P.

Back