Scotty Arfield

I’m a big fan of Scott Arfield. He is an intelligent player always looking to run into spaces for team mates and always gives us a sense of urgency when he comes on. I’m glad we kept him on. I’ve no doubt we have a section of our support who think he is finished and contributes nothing but thank Christ Gio and those of us who understand this great game know what Scott does and does very well in this team.

Another contribution from the bench today. Glad he got the contract extension. Very intelligent player for us and seems to always know when to make the perfect run into the box.
I know the thread is about Arfield.
But for me... It's not about Arfield.

The fact that Davis, Arfield, McGregor, Roofe, Kent, Kamara, Helander, Hagi and Morelos were not in the starting 11 shows we are buying better players to replace the squad players.

I know, not everyone in the team yesterday is necessarily the best 11. Even Ridvan and Lawrence didn't start and it could be argued they should/could have.

But we certainly appear to have lost 3 exceptional players in 2022 and still, appear to be stronger, both in terms of starting 11 and squad.
Looking food for us going forward.

Was on record at end of last season as saying if we were to keep only one of the players heading towards end of contract, I'd keep him.
Never a starter for me these days, but as an impact sub he has a role to play in this team - and shown it well already this season.

I rolled my eyes when he got his contract extension. Another example of how I don't have a fucking clue.

He's started the season well. A great super sub, will and has won us games. A nightmare for tired teams. Clever runs, busy, hard, industrious. Not a starter but a great weapon from the bench.

Edit: And most importantly, passionate as %^*&, a winner and he gets it. Peach of a celebration as well.

As long as he plays in the top third of the pitch he is very effective. When he finds himself deeper the need to take 4/5 touches is infuriating. But late runs into the box, his spacial awareness is exceptional. Also clearly a massive personality in the dressing room and won’t accept any shite. I remember one game last year in Europe him shouting in the tunnel “let’s get fucked right into them boys, see if they fancy it”

As long as he plays in the top third of the pitch he is very effective. When he finds himself deeper the need to take 4/5 touches is infuriating. But late runs into the box, his spacial awareness is exceptional. Also clearly a massive personality in the dressing room and won’t accept any shite. I remember one game last year in Europe him shouting in the tunnel “let’s get fucked right into them boys, see if they fancy it”
Spatial too

Every close season for the last three seasons we get the usual summer thread on here saying he shouldn't get another contract and it's time to move him on. And before August is out it is found out for what it is.
The ramblings of people who's football insight and knowledge could be written on the side of a stamp never mind on the back of one.

Bang on.

When he got his new extension, I said on here that it would prove to be a great piece of business by the club.

Within minutes, the usual noisy minority of moon howlers on here were coming up with their "his legs have gone", "towing a caravan", "Lowry's a far better option" pish.

Within the last 2 weeks, Scotty has contributed with crucial goals and assists against Livingston, Union and Killie, as well as working his @rse off in and out of possession, every minute he is on the park.

Btw, just for the record, I think Lowry is a terrific prospect, but he's still a fair bit off Arfield's level.

His time will come though.

Last edited:
I was glad we extended his stay.

Hes started the season well and justifies the contract.

Gio obviously sees the upside to his game. Offers a goal threat other midfielders do not.

I'll be honest and say at the time I was surprised he got an extension, but it's clear he can still make a contribution.

Becoming the perfect impact sub.

Some career he has had, nearly 100 games in the Premier League, goals against Liverpool and Chelsea. Winning the Championship down the road before coming up here and becoming our 7th most capped European player ever, winning 55 and a Scottish Cup, scoring a penalty in a European final, not to mention his 2 goals against that lot and he is closing in on 200 appearances with 36 goals and 20 odd assists.

That drop ball against Scott Brown was a turning point for us and Arfield’s contribution to our journey should never be underplayed.

Delighted he is still around and there will be a few more big moments to come if history has taught us anything.

He is a proper Rangers man.

Very well taken goal by Arfield at the weekend. That extended contract makes perfect sense.

I didn't want him to renew as I wanted us to bring in a younger better version.

However, he suits this cameo role from the bench. He's not a player we can rely on to start the big games anymore but I'm happy having him on the bench.

Hes also halfway to equalling his goal tally from last season (another reason I didnt think he earned his deal) so he's started really well.

Hopefully with less game time he'll be fresher when he is called upon.

I didn't want him to renew as I wanted us to bring in a younger better version.

However, he suits this cameo role from the bench. He's not a player we can rely on to start the big games anymore but I'm happy having him on the bench.

Hes also halfway to equalling his goal tally from last season (another reason I didnt think he earned his deal) so he's started really well.

Hopefully with less game time he'll be fresher when he is called upon.
Halfway to reaching last seasons goal tally (6) with 2 goals?

Back