Sectarianism at Rangers or Celtic affects us all and beating it requires equal approach - James Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dude

Referees have been the centre of attention over the past few months as everybody thinks there's an agenda for or against somebody else.

But the last week has seen Scottish football dragged back in time with sectarianism rearing its ugly head after incidents involving Kris Boyd and Steve Clarke .

Both were victims of sectarian chanting aimed at them based on their affiliation (real or otherwise) with one half of the Old Firm.

However, only one seemed to cause widespread offence and spur the Scottish FA into some sort of action.

READ MORE: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...anism-rangers-celtic-affects-beating-14037661

Well done, at least you have highlighted the difference in reporting on this subject
I think if any advance in eradicating this is to be made then surely a starting point would be to at least acknowledge that it is equally offensive no matter what side you are on........It certainly appears to me that the bigots in the press let their own emotions and leanings take over their judgement and reporting on this subject, they are so one sided in condemnation that it is highly offensive and extremely embarrassing
I am being serious here in asking is it the schools they go to, is this where they receive the indoctrination

Referees have been the centre of attention over the past few months as everybody thinks there's an agenda for or against somebody else.

But the last week has seen Scottish football dragged back in time with sectarianism rearing its ugly head after incidents involving Kris Boyd and Steve Clarke .

Both were victims of sectarian chanting aimed at them based on their affiliation (real or otherwise) with one half of the Old Firm.

However, only one seemed to cause widespread offence and spur the Scottish FA into some sort of action.

READ MORE: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...anism-rangers-celtic-affects-beating-14037661

Good work fella

Dying to read this but would rather take my eyeballs out with a hot knitting needle than give Celtc's business partners the hits.

Can anyone oblige.

I'd love for you to read it but I'd rather not take money out of my own pocket.

Very good article. Only suggestion (it’s not been picked up anywhere) would be at the end when you commended Dave King for his statement to say that you look forward to hearing Celtic’s condemnation of their own bigoted section of support. Your point was already well hammered home by then though, so well done.

On the money. Highlights the bias in the press that only one side is sectarian and one side is in the wrong.

Even heard an MSP on the radio this morning, Jim Kelly -Labour indicating sectarianism was in effect rife especially against catholics.

Also the press stir it up for a story with no concern for the consequences

I grew up in the sixties and was once told by "friends" of mine that they had been told by their parents not to play with me because I wasn't catholic. I was too young to understand that this was sectarianism (had never heard the term before) and didn't let it bother me. My parents never ever stopped me from playing with any kids, no matter what religion and yet nowadays I am tarred as a bigot because I choose to support Rangers. Sectarianism cuts both ways and always has done. However, it is my belief that anti semitism is a much bigger problem, but the usual suspects tell us different.

Can you copy and paste the full article please, I'm not clicking onto the Retards website
Sectarianism at Rangers or Celtic affects us all and beating it requires equal approach - James Black
Our Rangers blogger hits out at the blight of bigotry in Scottish football after another shameful week.

By
James Black
  • 15:49, 22 FEB 2019
SPORTOPINION
Kris Boyd was target for sectarian abuse at Rugby Park (Image: SNS)
Get the biggest Sport stories by email
Subscribe
See our privacy noticeMore newsletters
Now, before anyone wants to get into which side is worse than the other or all that garbage, let's make one thing absolutely clear.
There's no place for sectarianism in football. Nor racism, homophobia, or any other form of discrimination and while we're at it, let's leave the stuff about Northern Ireland in the past too.

But if we want to do something to actually combat it then we need to treat all issues equally.

CLICK TO PLAY
STEVE CLARKE AND KRIS BOYD PRESS CONFERENCE

READ MORE
When Kris Boyd took to Instagram last week and slated the Celtic support for sectarian chanting and hitting him with a coin, you'd have been hard pressed to find any of the coverage highlighting the bigoted nature of it.
Fast forward a few days and Steve Clarke's complaints were met with banner headlines, statements from the SFA, the great and the good coming out to condemn the 'cancer' of Scottish football and treating the bigots with the contempt they deserve.
What's the difference? Is one side seen as fair game when it comes to sectarian chanting?
You can go back to the first Old Firm game of the season and hear thousands of Celtic fans calling Steven Gerrard a 'sad orange b******.'
It barely warranted mention in the days following.
When Kris Boyd was hit by a coin and was being subjected to the same ditty from the Celtic support, Sky's Andy Walker incredibly suggested that the former Rangers striker "loves it".

Kris Boyd spoke to the press on sectarianism (Image: SNS Group)READ MORE

Imagine just for a second that Kevin Thomson was to suggest on BT that Steve Clarke or Neil Lennon was 'loving' being called a '19th Century Terrorist b******.'
Or picture the uproar if the Union Bears were to show up at an Old Firm game with a banner proudly telling Celtic fans to 'know your place 19th Century Terrorist scum.'
We either want to eradicate ALL sectarianism or none of it. There's no middle ground to be taken here.
Whether it is anti-Protestant, anti-Catholic or anti any other group, it needs to be dealt with evenly rather than almost minimising it on one side.
As long as there's a blind eye turned to some sectarianism then it will always exist as a problem in Scottish football.
I'm sure some will just call this all 'whataboutery' and dismiss it but there's a genuine perception that there's little interest in stopping anti-Protestant sectarianism.
Dave King was right to issue an apology to Clarke for the chants aimed at the Killie boss on Wednesday night but until there's a genuine attempt made on all sides, we'll just keep going around in circles.
READ MORE
Steve Clarke S

Our Rangers blogger hits out at the blight of bigotry in Scottish football after another shameful week.

By
James Black
  • 15:49, 22 FEB 2019
SPORTOPINION
Kris Boyd was target for sectarian abuse at Rugby Park (Image: SNS)
Get the biggest Sport stories by email
Subscribe
See our privacy noticeMore newsletters
Now, before anyone wants to get into which side is worse than the other or all that garbage, let's make one thing absolutely clear.
There's no place for sectarianism in football. Nor racism, homophobia, or any other form of discrimination and while we're at it, let's leave the stuff about Northern Ireland in the past too.

But if we want to do something to actually combat it then we need to treat all issues equally.

CLICK TO PLAY
STEVE CLARKE AND KRIS BOYD PRESS CONFERENCE

READ MORE
When Kris Boyd took to Instagram last week and slated the Celtic support for sectarian chanting and hitting him with a coin, you'd have been hard pressed to find any of the coverage highlighting the bigoted nature of it.
Fast forward a few days and Steve Clarke's complaints were met with banner headlines, statements from the SFA, the great and the good coming out to condemn the 'cancer' of Scottish football and treating the bigots with the contempt they deserve.
What's the difference? Is one side seen as fair game when it comes to sectarian chanting?
You can go back to the first Old Firm game of the season and hear thousands of Celtic fans calling Steven Gerrard a 'sad orange b******.'
It barely warranted mention in the days following.
When Kris Boyd was hit by a coin and was being subjected to the same ditty from the Celtic support, Sky's Andy Walker incredibly suggested that the former Rangers striker "loves it".

Kris Boyd spoke to the press on sectarianism (Image: SNS Group)READ MORE

Imagine just for a second that Kevin Thomson was to suggest on BT that Steve Clarke or Neil Lennon was 'loving' being called a '19th Century Terrorist b******.'
Or picture the uproar if the Union Bears were to show up at an Old Firm game with a banner proudly telling Celtic fans to 'know your place 19th Century Terrorist scum.'
We either want to eradicate ALL sectarianism or none of it. There's no middle ground to be taken here.
Whether it is anti-Protestant, anti-Catholic or anti any other group, it needs to be dealt with evenly rather than almost minimising it on one side.
As long as there's a blind eye turned to some sectarianism then it will always exist as a problem in Scottish football.
I'm sure some will just call this all 'whataboutery' and dismiss it but there's a genuine perception that there's little interest in stopping anti-Protestant sectarianism.
Dave King was right to issue an apology to Clarke for the chants aimed at the Killie boss on Wednesday night but until there's a genuine attempt made on all sides, we'll just keep going around in circles.
READ MORE
Steve Clarke S

Cheers mate.

I don't share the Rebel views on Facebook, but i'll share this one because it's honest and accurate.

Exellent unbiased reporting.well done dude

This is exactly when we SHOULD click on the article. Its written by one of our own and highlights the reporting bias that drives us all up the wall.

On the face of it you would normally get no argument from me and the lad has penned a fine article. Alas cast your mind back only a few days and this paper could barely find space on it's front page to tell us yet another member of the Celtc paedophile ring had been sent to prison. This once fine publication has a long way to travel back to a semblance of journalistic impartiality and integrity for me to engage with it.

I grew up in the sixties and was once told by "friends" of mine that they had been told by their parents not to play with me because I wasn't catholic. I was too young to understand that this was sectarianism (had never heard the term before) and didn't let it bother me. My parents never ever stopped me from playing with any kids, no matter what religion and yet nowadays I am tarred as a bigot because I choose to support Rangers. Sectarianism cuts both ways and always has done. However, it is my belief that anti semitism is a much bigger problem, but the usual suspects tell us different.

I , 72 now, grew up in the fifties (and early sixties) and I , and everyone else in my primary school ( as was ) didn't play with catholics because, what do you know, they had their own schools and were appafrently 'different' to us so we never actually had much/any contact. My school was a state school which was NOT sectarian and I seem to remember there was a Jewish boy and a Muslim boy who were 'one' of us ! so were very much part of everyday life and friendships !

Posted on the thread about the lack of ex players defending us and our club.
Bears.

Wake up. When at Ibrox and away.

1. Never mention the Pope.

2. Never mention Jobby Sands.

3. Never sing that Tiffany song.

4. Stop singing Lisbon lions 10 in a row song - it's a catastrophicly bad song celebrating the mhankies tainted titles and their biggest one. Why do we fucking sing that shit?

We need a fans group and anyone else with an influence to all be saying the same thing.

The “but they sing about the IRA." will not protect our club -for as long as one Rangers fan is heard singing FTP etc, then we’ll all be targets and legitimately so.

So The Rangers SAS could be the fans group that Rangers support are in dire need off, the support as a whole should always be defended. But we already have seen the narrative being skewed for over 2 decades now - whenever one of us is lifted, ejected, recorded or even accused we are all tarred.

We all need to take individual responsibility for our own, and our club’s reputation.

What we can do differently is leave all of the above to the 'buses and sash bash's' and OUT OF Ibrox.

Good grief the SJF were singing 'The Flute Song' to the Wigan support when they visited Ibrox. My heart del that day when it emerged. If ever a song needed expunged from Ibrox then that's one.

Strict liability is coming. We are wide open to attack now - just imagine how our Club will suffer when they're held entirely accountable for those amongst our wonderful support that simply 'don't give a fúck'?

We need as stated above to circulate that message - soon I fear it will be too late.

Posted before that I genuinely do think there is a certain amount of 'innocence' amongst the younger 'ultras'. But choosing to sing anything but the proper Rangers words to 'Follow Follow' they will inadvertantly, but definitely, get our Club punished one day. This is the message we need to take to the UB's and the Blue Order.

If the whole support was unified in this matter we could get the message across to our singing sections - that would be a start.

Nothing against any of our other battle hymns - aside from the one that has regrettably been denied us for well over a decade now. :( But that may change as well perhaps maybe possibly.

We need to box clever.... and right now we are amidst a flurry of southpaw jabs flailing wildly at everyone.

Concentrate on one target. Well researched to meticulously highlight their biased nature

If need be drag them through the courts to defend their names.

Do not relent until the target is obliterated (as far as their career is concerned).

One example of a high profile political party, ruin them and watch them all start to run for cover and be more considered in the way they report on our Club. For years that's all we have ever wanted.

Parity.

Read a hard copy of the neighbour's Mail today and to be fair John Greechan did say that if anyone can't equate the 'Clarke situation' with the 'Boyd situation' then they were part of the problem rather than the solution.

A bit late to the party but it seems to be getting through with some in the media.

Last edited:
Posted on the thread about the lack of ex players defending us and our club.
Bears.

Wake up. When at Ibrox and away.

1. Never mention the Pope.

2. Never mention Jobby Sands.

3. Never sing that Tiffany song.

4. Stop singing Lisbon lions 10 in a row song - it's a catastrophicly bad song celebrating the mhankies tainted titles and their biggest one. Why do we fucking sing that shit?

We need a fans group and anyone else with an influence to all be saying the same thing.

The “but they sing about the IRA." will not protect our club -for as long as one Rangers fan is heard singing FTP etc, then we’ll all be targets and legitimately so.

So The Rangers SAS could be the fans group that Rangers support are in dire need off, the support as a whole should always be defended. But we already have seen the narrative being skewed for over 2 decades now - whenever one of us is lifted, ejected, recorded or even accused we are all tarred.

We all need to take individual responsibility for our own, and our club’s reputation.

What we can do differently is leave all of the above to the 'buses and sash bash's' and OUT OF Ibrox.

Good grief the SJF were singing 'The Flute Song' to the Wigan support when they visited Ibrox. My heart del that day when it emerged. If ever a song needed expunged from Ibrox then that's one.

Strict liability is coming. We are wide open to attack now - just imagine how our Club will suffer when they're held entirely accountable for those amongst our wonderful support that simply 'don't give a fúck'?

We need as stated above to circulate that message - soon I fear it will be too late.

Posted before that I genuinely do think there is a certain amount of 'innocence' amongst the younger 'ultras'. But choosing to sing anything but the proper Rangers words to 'Follow Follow' they will inadvertantly, but definitely, get our Club punished one day. This is the message we need to take to the UB's and the Blue Order.

If the whole support was unified in this matter we could get the message across to our singing sections - that would be a start.

Nothing against any of our other battle hymns - aside from the one that has regrettably been denied us for well over a decade now. :( But that may change as well perhaps maybe possibly.

We need to box clever.... and right now we are amidst a flurry of southpaw jabs flailing wildly at everyone.

Concentrate on one target. Well researched to meticulously highlight their biased nature

If need be drag them through the courts to defend their names.

Do not relent until the target is obliterated (as far as their career is concerned).

One example of a high profile political party, ruin them and watch them all start to run for cover and be more considered in the way they report on our Club. For years that's all we have ever wanted.

Parity.
I like build my gallows and no pope of Rome

Kris boyd made sense on it ...aslong as it is not physical then no one goes over the line

Way it should be

On the face of it you would normally get no argument from me and the lad has penned a fine article. Alas cast your mind back only a few days and this paper could barely find space on it's front page to tell us yet another member of the Celtc paedophile ring had been sent to prison. This once fine publication has a long way to travel back to a semblance of journalistic impartiality and integrity for me to engage with it.

I hear you mate, and id be lying if i didnt partly share your view. I just think i want us to push everything pro us. There is so fvcking little pro rangers media as it is.

It was a great article, however, that is the type of article that should be penned by a jounalist from one of the national papers, and not left to a Rangers blogger.
I don’t know how many people will manage to read this, compared to a full article in one of the daily papers.
Most of the inequalities are highlighted by us on here and in similar Rangers minded forums, but never in national media outlets.
The vast majority of fans of other clubs, and even lots of our fans, who do not view these forums, are ignorant to the systematic attacks against us. The vast majority get the sports news from newspapers or television, neither of which give an impartial view of the reality of what is going on.
A prime example of this, is the different reactions to the abuse towards Chris Boyd and the abuse agaist Clarke, both of which were almost identical, but the reaction to these incidents was the polar opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back