Secterianism solely being associated with Rangers

Buzz Lightyear

With Clarke's comments last night, and now all the media and pundits jumping on the bandwagon, we are being labeled as secterian knuckle draggers from all angles.

The more you say it, the more it sticks. secterianism being associated with JUST Rangers fans.

What is annoying me, is that I can't remember the last time Celtic fans, or any other fans, have been lambasted for being secterian towards rangers fans, or anyone other than a Catholic.
Prime example Kris Boyd getting called an orange b*****d, and the acceptance from the media, that it was just banter that Kris could deal with.

Their defence of 'whatabouttery' is weak,
If they want secterianism gone for good, then highlight ALL of it. Not just from one set of fans.
The only reason people say what about, is because it's never about anyone else other than rangers fans.

Sick of it.

With Clarke's comments last night, and now all the media and pundits jumping on the bandwagon, we are being labeled as secterian knuckle draggers from all angles.

The more you say it, the more it sticks. secterianism being associated with JUST Rangers fans.

What is annoying me, is that I can't remember the last time Celtic fans, or any other fans, have been lambasted for being secterian towards rangers fans, or anyone other than a Catholic.
Prime example Kris Boyd getting called an orange b*****d, and the acceptance from the media, that it was just banter that Kris could deal with.

Their defence of 'whatabouttery' is weak,
If they want secterianism gone for good, then highlight ALL of it. Not just from one set of fans.
The only reason people say what about, is because it's never about anyone else other than rangers fans.

Sick of it.

I said the other day that Boydie playing down the anti-Protestant sectarian abuse, although admirable, was the wrong thing to do. The craziness and hysteria today in the mhedia sadly only proves me correct.

Anyone raised in a minority, anywhere, will wheel out the race/religion card whenever they don't get what they want. For example, had Kilmarnock won last night nothing would've been said. They also shout the loudest and group together to spread the nonsense as far and wide as possible to strengthen their case. There's no appetite amongst our side or any neutral to do likewise. They'll win that game every time.

After the scums antics at Rugby Park being surprisingly well documented it was only a matter of hours before the media tried to put us in a negative light.

Got to admit, after the Stevie Clarke yer a w**ker chant, i thought haha. Then when we sung that Monkeys song at him, i thought, oh dear this is gonny be messy. I knew him, every mentally challenged in the mhedia, and their complicit so called Protestant colleagues would go full on sectarian mode.
As we saw after the KB incident, it only ever gets thrown at us. Until that changes, imho, it carries no weight at all.

Anyone who only highlights one half of an issue is part of the problem. Boyd's comments about the sectarian abuse he recieved was done in jokey manner which also doesn't help anything.

Likewise they have no interest any 'any' sectarian issue on either side that doesn't result in Rangers being attacked. It's false, faux outrage with one target in mind.

I don’t condone the chants but the hypocrisy in the media is unbelievable.
As said before in this thread it has to be even handed.

This is why it was so important that Boyd spoke out against the sectarian bigots of St Pats.

A major chance missed there.

Nil By Mouth is a Scottish charity (SCO: 30375) which seeks to challenge sectarianism.It was set up by Glasgow teenager Cara Henderson following the sectarian murder of her school friend Mark Scott in 1995.

We successfully campaigned for the creation of tough laws to tackle sectarian behaviour and established Scotland’s first anti-sectarian schools award programme.

Yet why does it seem that they never have anything to say about Celtic fans?

Rangers, as a club, has to respond when any abuse is directed to them e.g support.

It's a 2 way street and we shouldn't just laugh it off.

Is Clarke suggesting the word 19th Century Terrorist has a correlation with paedophile harbouring and divisive Roman Catholics? I wonder what aspect of it he found so offensive that Kris Boyd hasn't?

New it wouldn't take them long to get the puppets in the media to take the spotlight from a good victory.we all know what the agenda is,push the sectarian but,but only one way.if they want to stop it ,it starts at 5 years old when the Roman catholic church gets there horrible hands on them,by 7 they have been brain washed.this will go on for a few days to hide what trouble they are causing in Spain,only good thing is the Spanish will think they are Irish,because you won't see anything but Irish flags.had my rant.no surrender.w.a.t.p.

It's not a level playing field so why give the ammunition ? The comments to Clarke were unnecessary and as soon as I heard them I knew today's agenda. Is anyone surprised that Spiers, Skeleton and Irish are outraged. Someone at Ibrox should ask where the outrage was at the Boyd comments. Put them on the back foot and force them to reply.
Keep highlighting inconsistencies, that's what we need to do.

Nil By Mouth is a Scottish charity (SCO: 30375) which seeks to challenge sectarianism.It was set up by Glasgow teenager Cara Henderson following the sectarian murder of her school friend Mark Scott in 1995.

We successfully campaigned for the creation of tough laws to tackle sectarian behaviour and established Scotland’s first anti-sectarian schools award programme.

Always thought Nil By Mouth is a strange name to call anything. Don’t really see what you’re meant to connect it to.

This is what the club needs to urgently address.

Of course it needs to make a statement about the sectarian chanting last night, but at the same time it should be taking the opportunity to highlight the lack of consistency in how this issue is covered in the media.

Sectarian chants towards ex-Ranger Kris Boyd by Celtic supporters failed to muster the same degree of outrage as last night’s slurs against Clarke.

Why is that?

It’s a perfectly valid question.

Why are we being treated differently?

Of course it needs to make a statement about the sectarian chanting last night, but at the same time it should be taking the opportunity to highlight the lack of consistency in how this issue is covered in the media.

Sectarian chants towards ex-Ranger Kris Boyd by Celtic supporters failed to muster the same degree of outrage as last night’s slurs against Clarke.

Why is that?

They dont think we're being treated unfairly and we dont have enough evidence that we are because we dont keep records. That's why we should employ a researcher to gather evidence of the bias, double standards and lies. Produce academic standard, watertight reports and name and shame the bigots.

Why is that?

Because Clarke spoke out about it. He said it was from the Dark Ages. Boyd said he took it as banter.

The Record, the Times, the Independent, and the Herald all referred to Boyd's abuse as sectarian.

So Boyd's abuse was not ignored by the media.

Some of our fans need to get clued up. No point in saying Celtic and other fans do it. Just don't do it.

I knew leaving last night's game this would be highlighted. I just knew it.

They dont think we're being treated unfairly and we dont have enough evidence that we are because we dont keep records. That's why we should employ a researcher to gather evidence of the bias, double standards and lies. Produce academic standard, watertight reports and name and shame the bigots.

Precisely my point on the other thread.

The board have been in situ for four years now.

It’s alarming that we haven’t seemingly started to actively tackle this.

It threatens to have negative effects on the club’s ability to fully prosper as a brand and a business.

Said on the other thread, the club NEVER mention sectarian chants directed at its employees in an official capacity . We need to start doing it. SG should comment on it in pressers when him or the players are subjected to it

Thats what gets it reported in the media

Because Clarke spoke out about it. He said it was from the Dark Ages. Boyd said he took it as banter.

The Record, the Times, the Independent, and the Herald all referred to Boyd's abuse as sectarian.

So Boyd's abuse was not ignored by the media.

Some of our fans need to get clued up. No point in saying Celtic and other fans do it. Just don't do it.

I knew leaving last night's game this would be highlighted. I just knew it.

I don’t feel it was reported equally.

The BBC didn’t dedicate a separate story to the abuse of Boyd on its site after Sunday’s game.

This is the difference.

They say they’re being impartial, but there’s different degrees involved in that and we are undoubtedly getting the thicker wedge and have done for years.

What are we doing about it?

Last edited:
I heard an interview with Clark earlier and he mentioned the sectarian incident at rugby park by Celtic fans. Hopefully this doesn't get lost.

After the scums antics at Rugby Park being surprisingly well documented it was only a matter of hours before the media tried to put us in a negative light.
Very much so.
I’ve posted on another thread that this chanting last night was aimed at Clarke’s inability to hear what was chanted at Kris Boyd on Sunday.
No doubt though that, regardless of the intention, the septic media apologist grabbed this get out of jail free opportunity with both hands.

Its all the refs fault, had Killie been given a pen and scored, keeper not sent off and they went on to win the game, there wouldn't have been a cheep fro Clarke, regardless of what was being sung in his direction.

But FFS time to wise up troops.....what might seem as bit of fun at the time always bites us on the arse sooner or later. Dont give our enemies ammunition to shoot us with.

As I posted earlier, we are our own worst enemies. Sing all our songs and omit 19th Century Terrorist and pope and there is no problem.

I totally agree that those should be removed.

However I have less faith than you regarding what the result would be if we could silence those chants. I think a few months later and it would be (for example) the Sash being targeted. That has already been labelled as sectarian before by the mhedia. Then terms like ‘rebel’ would be the new 19th Century Terrorist. So in effect we would have to be non-political and not unionist as a fan-base to appease them.

No requirement will ever be made like that at Parkhead.

So whilst I agree with your original point, the fact remains it’s sometimes it’s not ‘balanced’ minds who are coming after us - so that’s not where it stops.

This is one of the things that truly baffles me about FF, this delusional "one way traffic" persecuted paranoia and the belief that Celtc are never in trouble or written about. Take a few seconds and Google the words "celtic fined sectarian singing" and there's pages of results. More than that, any time they do get fined or get in trouble or are written about negatively, which is quite a fair bit recently, there's at least one gleeful thread on here. Until someone shows me actual statistical figures or a graph of some kind that accurately demonstrates an imbalance of negative media coverage and/or fines between us and them, I'll remain unconvinced that there's some insidious protestant witch hunt at play.

Yes there's journalists with agendas. No, Clarke wouldn't have made such a fuss if his team hadn't received a biblical humping last night, and yes it's hypocritical of him to be that upset when Boyd's recent treatment at the hands of the tims didn't warrant the same response. We all know there's bias in certain quarters, but what's the easiest way to fix it and make things better? Some sort of grand social campaign to change the hearts and minds of journalists and anyone who doesn't like Rangers and establish the level playing field so often mentioned on here? Think we all know that's not going to happen and would be doomed to failure in any case. Hatred is just too deeply ingrained in some people.

Or, how about we just stop singing all this tiresome outdated pish about 19th Century Terrorists, the pope, poets, mentally challengeds, Bobby fkn Sands, the UVF and the UDA? Seems simple enough to me. I personally chucked all that shite when I was about 14. That's not going to happen either though, because that's too deeply ingrained in some people too, and even when the club they profess to love tell them to stop being dicks and give it a by, they'd rather say "aye but they mentally challengeds dae this and get away with it" (see my opening paragraph re this). And please don't give me the line "they'd just find something else to complain about." Aye, they would. It's called rivalry. But so what? Fkn let them and laugh at them. At least we wouldn't be getting called bigots and knuckledraggers any more.

So what's the solution? Fkd if I know. I don't think deducting points or fining clubs is the answer. Maybe an independent commission sent by FIFA themselves. Teams of professional "bouncers" of some sort who'll attend every team's games, watch the crowd carefully, and not only eject those being dicks, but the ten people around them as well. Harsh, no doubt, and sure some innocents would be ejected, but it was sure as shit stop the problem quick smart. (Admittedly, I just thought this up just now without much consideration, so I'm sure there's multiple issues with this scheme!)

Right, rant over. And I'm at work, so probably shouldn't have spent so long on this post!

WATP

Jim White was an absolute disgrace today on Talksport. He went overboard and basically vilified our entire support.

Have they has radio phone it yet with no doubt Haggerty, Galloway and some tosser for NBM on to ensure balance !

Posted this elsewhere

Here is the thing. If you call someone a dirty or sad 19th Century Terrorist bastard it is sectarian. If the club catch you doing it or the police you will get into trouble.
If a large group of fans do it then it will be highlighted by the media and the club might get into trouble.

You can’t complain about it as it is deserved, it is unacceptable behaviour.

However if you turn a deaf ear to the Rangers support getting called huns, orange bastards and never bring it up or criticise this sectarian behaviour you are a hypocrite and employing double standards.
If you try and play it down and call it banter and then go for the Rangers support and call them out for sectarian or anti catholic racial abuse then you are part of the problem.
You aren’t highlighting sectarianism you are selectively highlighting one side and ignoring another.
To me that makes you biased and probably shows your own bigotry and prejudice as well as your hypocrisy.
That means Spiers, English and Kilmarnock manager Clarke. You have nothing of value to say as you are quite obviously biased hypocrites.
The same applies to anyone who ignores sectarian abuse from one side and highlights it on another.

They were proved to be not fit for purpose the day a fellow Rangers fan decided to test them and contacted them about 2 similar incidents, 1 against a Protestant, the other against a Catholic.

You know what one they jumped on.......

The word 'Hun' was never really mainstream with other clubs until the events of 2012, now I see it used by many in their forums and throughout twitter to describe us. Before that, Celtic fans used it mainly against us or against teams they claim they felt had leanings towards us i.e: Mini Huns, Diet Huns.

They boxed clever when they managed to have the word '19th Century Terrorist' aligned as a derogatory comment against Catholics. It even shows this in the dictionary. The same has never been done for the word 'Hun' and this is why it gets ignored, even though we know it means Protestant, especially when used in the term 'KAH' as found in graffiti plastered across N.I and the West of Scotland.

Going too admit to being a bit of a hypocrite here because I have in the past joined in and took great pleasure in most of these songs/chants but over the years I have taken a dislike to them and refrained from joining in,I would like to see a fan led movement to discourage others from singing these songs TBO and club 1872 could take the lead instead of putting up with a media witch hunt,This would allow us to highlight their hypocrisy of turning a blind eye to other instances of offensive bile from the fhilth and others.

They were proved to be not fit for purpose the day a fellow Rangers fan decided to test them and contacted them about 2 similar incidents, 1 against a Protestant, the other against a Catholic.

You know what one they jumped on.......

Remember in well. Was it the poster Gomacgers or something ?

Why is that?

In relation to the BBC Stewart Robertson spoke up about how Rangers are being treated differently. The BBC deny this and it goes on and on. Other media sources stated Boyd's abuse was sectarian.

We stop the sectarian songs, and we take away one of the sticks with which the BBC and others beat us.

In relation to the BBC Stewart Robertson spoke up about how Rangers are being treated differently. The BBC deny this and it goes on and on. Other media sources stated Boyd's abuse was sectarian.

We stop the sectarian songs, and we take away one of the sticks with which the BBC and others beat us.
no such thing

It’s clear to see there is a narrative being driven by Scottish journalists.

Boyd incident at the weekend - it was reported as allegedly sectarian.

Clarke incident - sectarian with multiple personal tweets from BBC journalists.

When the journalists are questioned about the lack of coverage of Boyd, they just link the articles, but that doesn’t explain their personal distribution and tweeting of the Clarke incident. It is blatantly obvious they are treating the two incidents differently, with Clarke’s being worse, even though Boyd was also hit with coins.

There's no such thing as sectarianism against protestants in this republic of Scotland, well so it would appear, anyways its just banter when it's aimed at us.

Back