Shearer or Suarez?

Shearer for me as Suarez was too volatile and always going to be a liability. In saying that Shearer was no shrinking violet.

In terms of an out and out striker, it’s Shearer all day long. Either foot, head, all types of goal and could put it about a bit as well. His finishing was clinical. Suarez is a fantastic player as well right enough! Both in the same team would be phenomenal!

In their prime?

Well Suarez in three successive seasons nearly led Liverpool to the title (scoring 31 goals in 33 games) then won the champions league scoring 7 in 10, then scored 59 goals in a season as part of possibly the best front 3 in the history of football.

Shearer won the league with Blackburn rovers and was consistently one of the best strikers in England while not being surrounded by the best teammates. Very good, but not on the same level. Shearer’s issue is he never moved to a giant team so it’s hard to tell if he could have matched Suarez’s achievements if surrounded by better players.

Shearer wouldn’t have a chance in the modern game.

No pace, not much of an athlete and not a great link-up player. He’d probably bang in the goals at Championship level. But unfortunately the game at the top level has changed and players like him wouldn’t have enough of the physical attributes to be as impactful as they were in the 90s.

Shearer was world-class however Suarez at his peak just shades it for me. 2013-2016 he was unreal.

It's kinda ridiculous how Shearer wasn't even in the running for the Ballon D'or around 1994-1996. He barely even mustered a vote because of how poorly the EPL was thought of back then (Tony Yeboah ranked higher the year George Weah won it, ffs).

Incredible striker, but Suarez is better.

Suarez is a seriously unlikable individual, but that sadly doesn't disqualify him from being the better player.

Suarez has agressiin in his game. Ask yourself this dude. Would shearer make it in today's tactics and ticky taka style football? Would he %^*& lol. Poachers and modern offside rules cannot function together, sadly.

Would Suarez cut it as an out and out goal scorer in Shearers day of ankle breakers?:without a doubt! He makes Dracula look like a shy biter mind haha

Shearer was no f.ucking poacher, jesus christ.

pre knee injury he had pace and pinged in some goals from distance!

Poacher my arse!

Suarez has agressiin in his game. Ask yourself this dude. Would shearer make it in today's tactics and ticky taka style football? Would he %^*& lol. Poachers and modern offside rules cannot function together, sadly.

Would Suarez cut it as an out and out goal scorer in Shearers day of ankle breakers?:without a doubt! He makes Dracula look like a shy biter mind haha
Lol.

Okay, dude.

Shearer was a great goalscorer and could bully defenders. He also had a great "tackle" on an alleged hardman with bad teeth!

Shearer wouldn’t have a chance in the modern game.

No pace, not much of an athlete and not a great link-up player. He’d probably bang in the goals at Championship level. But unfortunately the game at the top level has changed and players like him wouldn’t have enough of the physical attributes to be as impactful as they were in the 90s.

You're either trolling or mental. He had all the physical attributes as well as insane technical striking ability and a genius on-pitch brain. Strikers like Giroud and Llorente are still winning World Cups / Euros while Harry Kane is continually touted as one of the best about and the best in the Prem. Just cos Shearer was a big front man doesn't mean he was Glenn Murray.

Shearer for me - suarez that season was absolutely electric though

I love how when you read these type of threads you get people on both sides saying “it’s this guy by a mile”, or “it’s not even up for debate”. Well clearly it is!

Shearer just for the fact that he could wind Roy Keane up so easily, as players be happy to have either in our team in their prime, as I think there's no that much between them

Suarez was the better footballer, but Shearer was a better centre forward. Suarez was better suited to teams that probe for weaknesses.

If I had a choice of either in their prime to play for Rangers, it would be Shearer hands down. His style is perfect for British football.

Maybe its a generational thing but i'm 34 and just remember Shearer being the epitome of a centre forward - strong, powerful scored ton of goals. Suarez is/was great too but Shearer was the man for me.

A group of us were down at Newcastle watching Newcastle vs Aston Villa. I just concentrated on Shearer. I have to say if i'm ever asked the question who was the best player I ever seen in the flesh it was him.

Shearer for me without doubt one of the best forwards I've seen. Still had a right go at him at the gateshead cup .

Suarez is the better footballer.

Will score just as many, brilliant all around game and excellent out of possession.

Change Shearer’s nationality and the outcome of this would be very different.

Shearer really was a top striker, but Suarez in his prime was capable of a level of brilliance Shearer could only dream of.

the game’s changed a good bit since Shearer finished playing so not an entirely fair comparison but going to say Suarez.
Suarez could pretty much play teams by himself at his peak. Shearer better in the air but Suarez much more skilful, versatile and faster.

Suarez much more natural ability. Shearer was a great striker but overall Suarez for me.

the game’s changed a good bit since Shearer finished playing so not an entirely fair comparison but going to say Suarez.
Suarez could pretty much play teams by himself at his peak. Shearer better in the air but Suarez much more skilful, versatile and faster.

I’d agree with this. Not denying Shearer was outstanding, but I don’t think he had this sort of thing in his locker

Back