Sheyi Ojo to sign five-year deal at Liverpool before joining Rangers on loan

Bonnyloyal

LIVERPOOL winger Sheyi Ojo is set to sign a five-year deal before immediately joining Rangers on loan.

By Harry Howes / Published 23rd May 2019

Ojo spent this season on loan at French side Stade Reims but he struggled to make an impact.

The 21-year-old started just three times in Ligue 1, with his playing time limited to cameos off the bench.

Ojo has been at Liverpool since 2011 and he’s highly rated by the staff at Anfield.

And Starsport understands he’s set to be rewarded with a new five-year deal

Liverpool understand his need for regular minutes and after signing fresh terms, he’ll link up with club legend Steven Gerrard at Rangers.

The Glasgow giants are keen for summer reinforcements as they plot to challenge fierce rivals Celtic for the title.

Gerrard is once again ready to use his connections on Merseyside for transfer favours.

The Gers boss brought in Ryan Kent and Ovie Ejaria last summer

And while he’s keen to have Kent back again, the winger is expected to move elsewhere.

Ojo would likely fill his team-mate’s shoes at Ibrox.

LIVERPOOL winger Sheyi Ojo is set to sign a five-year deal before immediately joining Rangers on loan.

By Harry Howes / Published 23rd May 2019
Sheyi Ojo
Liverpool star Sheyi Ojo is set to pen a new five-year deal (Pic: GETTY)
Ojo spent this season on loan at French side Stade Reims but he struggled to make an impact.

The 21-year-old started just three times in Ligue 1, with his playing time limited to cameos off the bench.

Ojo has been at Liverpool since 2011 and he’s highly rated by the staff at Anfield.

And Starsport understands he’s set to be rewarded with a new five-year deal.

Liverpool understand his need for regular minutes and after signing fresh terms, he’ll link up with club legend Steven Gerrard at Rangers.

No idea if he is any good although I have heard the name which is probably a good sign.

Unfortunately if true looks like they've rejected us having Kent again but said we can take him instead

Don't know anything about him, but the manager will, that's for sure.

Gerrard will have a good idea now what a player requires to succeed up here.

Seems very highly rated and hopefully will be more of a Kent than Ejaria signing.

I'm comfortable enough with the signing.

He signed an extension last summer before joining Reims on loan, so if he's getting ANOTHER one - a five year one at that - before going out on loan again, then he must be highly thought of by Liverpool.

Would be a decent signing though to be fair.

Never heard of the guy, the gaffer must know his pedigree. I just hope he is not fodder for the hammer throwers in the spl of which there are many.

Interesting he was at Stade Reims.
We've also been credited with an interest in Thomas Fontaine, a cb at that side

Loans rarely work out, aside from the odd exception like Kent .

I hope we are not in for another close season of speculation about which players we are loaning from Liverpool in order to increase their value for them for Liverpool to cash in .

Sign our own players and develop them or play our own youngsters and develop them to sell .

Before Harry Wilson and Ben Woodburn, Sheyi Ojo was the one who was tipped for big things.

Mentioned him in the past and would have taken him last season when Gerrard first arrived. He's got better experience than Kent - although don't know how he got on at Reims?

Seen him with Fulham and Wolves. Would say he is similar to Kent in that he's quick, direct, like to cut inside. Plays either side, sure he's left footed and when Klopp came in he talked about adding a bit more intensity and physicality to his game. Final ball a bit raw.

He was linked with big moves away from Liverpool whilst playing with Fulham.

The Guardian posted an article last night thats almost the exact same, but added in we were “interested”. Daily Star have said this morning we’re getting him. Most likely just early interest.

Very similar situation to Kent in that he was really highly rated, and higher than Kent at one point (not anymore I’d imagine), had a few failed loan spells & will be looking to get his confidence back up here.

Poor for us that Liverpool are signing him on a 5 year deal though. Thats purely to get a massive fee for him if we get the best out of him. No chance of us getting him.

I’ll be gutted if Kent doesn’t come back but this guy looks talented. He’s got a real talent for curling it low and high into the net.

Here it is.

I'm in.:)):p

Certainly looks like he would get more goals than Kent from that would love the two of them being a greedy lady's front bottom we should really be asking Liverpool for two year loan deals if they are signings 5 year deals before going

I hope we are not in for another close season of speculation about which players we are loaning from Liverpool in order to increase their value for them for Liverpool to cash in .

Sign our own players and develop them or play our own youngsters and develop them to sell .

I'm afraid you're in for a disappointing few years because signing players on 1 or 2 year loans is the way football is going now. Especially for clubs like ourselves.

Or do whatever we need to do to win the league?

Do you think Derby fans are furious about using Harry Wilson to make the play off final, as opposed to developing one of their own youngsters mate?

I'm afraid you're in for a disappointing few years because signing players on 1 or 2 year loans is the way football is going now. Especially for clubs like ourselves.

I really don't see any problem with it at all? If Kent does go for the money Liverpool want then it's a win win for both clubs and Liverpool will be far more likely to give us players in the future that are well outwith our budget for buying outright.

The more good players at Rangers the better.

Get used to it. We can no longer afford to shell out £4/5m on every player so we need to make use of Bosman signings and loans to compliment the players we do spend money on.

If he helps us to 55 no one will give a flying f*ck if he's our player or not.

Or do whatever we need to do to win the league?

Do you think Derby fans are furious about using Harry Wilson to make the play off final, as opposed to developing one of their own youngsters mate?

Not furious but they still need to replace him now and all they’ve done is help Liverpool out his value up and made him unaffordable for them

It seems to me these loans are great for everyone except the club who get the player for a year

Like I say there are exceptions but I’d rather see Mcpake promoted and developed in the first team squad than put another Liverpool player in the shop window for them

Looks a talented boy but it’s not just pure talent that makes loan players a success at Rangers. It’s attitude, commitment to make the loan work well and the character to wear the Rangers jersey and deal with the expectation. Ejaria was never able to do this consistently whereas Ryan Kent stepped up and met those criteria really well.

Hopefully this lad has the required character to match his talent, a 5 year deal at Liverpool would suggest he has. I’ve no problem with us loaning quality players as long as we continue to also develop our own talent in the academy.

Also, Kent is clearly moving on to new things if this happens though. But as an earlier poster said, disappointing though this is it’s also good for us in a way, shows that we can develop and improve loan players that clubs such as Liverpool can either then play or sell for a decent fee. Win, win. And will help us get better loan players going forward.

We did exactly the same with Kent

But this isn't really beneficial for us if we have no option or say on the lad if he performs well for not. I'm not comfortable with it and unless this lad had the same impact as Kent then what's the point.

Back