Should Allan McGregor Start on Tuesday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he shouldn't.

It's 2022, we cannot have a goal keeper glued to his line on the off chance he'll make a point blank save. Gio wants the team to play out of the from back, McGregor cannot do that.

People need to accept it's not the McGregor of old, it's the McGregor of 2022 and he's 40 years old. You don't lose mygers points for pointing that out.

I said during the livvy game that McGregor should be back between the sticks and nothing has happened since to change my mind. It is not so much a reflection on anything that McLaughlin has done just that there seems to be a greater degree of confidence throughout the team when McGregor plays. The greater challenge is to find his long term replacement because McLaughlin is not the answer

The complete opposite is true, especially defending set pieces. The Scottish Cup run last year proved that.

Kasper Schmeichel went for 1 mill. Would have been ideal at least for a couple seasons

Aye and he's probably on about £80k a week.

The complete opposite is true, especially defending set pieces. The Scottish Cup run last year proved that.

Aye and he's probably on about £80k a week.
I doubt it's as much as that but we wouldn't even pay half that thinking about it..

That was last season. As much as I like McGregor he's done now. We need a consistent 1st choice keeper but for the timebeing McLaughlin takes it

No he shouldn't.

It's 2022, we cannot have a goal keeper glued to his line on the off chance he'll make a point blank save. Gio wants the team to play out of the from back, McGregor cannot do that.

People need to accept it's not the McGregor of old, it's the McGregor of 2022 and he's 40 years old. You don't lose mygers points for pointing that out.
McLaughlin is about to turn 35, has had a pretty ordinary career and I'm not overly convinced by him with the ball at his feet either. An able deputy, but not a number 1 for me. Would love us to sign a keeper, but it doesn't seem to be a priority.

McLaughlin is about to turn 35, has had a pretty ordinary career and I'm not overly convinced by him with the ball at his feet either. An able deputy, but not a number 1 for me. Would love us to sign a keeper, but it doesn't seem to be a priority.
For sure, goal keeper should be a target area.

At the moment for the way GBV wants to play, it has to be McLaughlin

I don't get this narrative that McLaughlin isn't an able keeper. His clean sheet record for us is excellent. I don't recall him making consistent howlers. You could argue he could have done better with the first goal against USG but no keeper is perfect. McGregor conceded many goals last season that you would expect him to save. For me McLaughlin deserves his chance at least to the January window where we can then reassess.
Totally agree!
I can name a few games which he conceded daft goals and cost us the points that probably cost us the league! .... Some people have short memories???

Are we saying that is a better measure of Goalkeeping achievement, than the run that took us all the way to the Europa cup final

You might be saying that, I'm not.

But it's not as if McGregor was keeping us in Europe with world class performances. He had an outstanding penalty save off the top of my head, that's it.

But for good linesmen and VAR, he would've cost us big time against Red Star with his howlers.

I really wish we just let him go so we don’t see these arguments all season and all his pals in the media clambering for him to be number 1.

McLaughlin got criticism for the goal last Tuesday yet the few very good saves he made are ignored. He stopped the score being more embarrassing than it was.

Absolutely not.

Contract should not have been renewed either.

Our goalkeeping situation had been badly dealt with.

Disappointed in Gio.

Yes, these are the games he always plays a massive part in for us.

I don't see Gio starting with the team from last Tuesday. I think both Davis and Arfield will play a huge part in this as well and will likely start. We are a far better team when both of them are in it regardless of age.

I would prefer him to but its not going to happen. He would played against killie if he was going to play on Tuesday

McLaughlin will cost us a goal or two this season for sure with his passing. McGregor shouldn’t have been kept and a new number 1 should have been signed.

I think there will be a fair bit of chopping and changing the keeper this season as both will make mistakes.

McLaughlin will cost us a goal or two this season for sure with his passing. McGregor shouldn’t have been kept and a new number 1 should have been signed.

I think there will be a fair bit of chopping and changing the keeper this season as both will make mistakes.
Given Gio kept McGregor as #1 last season even after all his mistakes I can’t see him chopping & changing this season.

We should have signed a new number 1.

Nevertheless I don’t think we should swap goalies on Tuesday.

I can’t see sitting Shagger on the bench for weeks then bringing him in and expecting him to perform is going to work.

The GK position is going to be an ongoing issue all season.

Wasnt in Belgium. Sound on tv only picked up their fans.

When you are at a game Allan stays on top of people. We looked passive and lost on Tuesday.

I’m not sure if I’d prefer the guarantee of a keeper that will come for a cross or one that will make his team mates get the hell away from him and move the ball quicker.

Nope, McLaughlin stays as keeper for me as he’s a better option than McGregor.

However, should we make it past USG I would like to see that money spent on a new first choice keeper and loan out young Robbie to get him game time and be backup next season.

I really don’t think McLaughlin is good enough to be Rangers no1 keeper, when you think of the class acts that have gone before him McGregor, Klos, Goram. I don’t think he’s better than Niemi. As much as I like McLaughlin we’ve not found McGregors replacement yet.
I like Mclaughlin but I think you are right tbh.

Hearts and Sunderland he was excellent but I think top level European games is a step too far for him.

Contract should not have been renewed either.

A typical throwaway comment from an over emotional fan who’s never played the game and with the greatest respect, doesn’t have a much of a clue as to why decisions like this are made.

What people need to realise that within every single successful football team, the thing that drives the success is the culture. McGregor, regardless of age and form is key to that. It’s no coincidence that when he came back to the club our standards on the park raised levels and levels and ultimately won us the league and got us to another European cup final.

It’s being in training every single day, demanding more from the players. It’s coming out after a draw against Hamilton even though the league is won and being raging saying it’s not good enough. It’s the same with Arfield and Davis getting new deals as well. They are key to this kind of thing. McGregor and Davis have seen it all at Rangers. They are the voice in the ear of players when they are getting it tight from the stands for a missplaced pass. They are the voice in the ear of a young player who’s panicking cause we’ve dropped 2 points. They have the experience of knowing what it takes to win trophies at Rangers and what’s acceptable and what’s not. They go without someone else able to do similar in the squad, the standards drop. The culture changes and we are a worse team for it.

Until a next crop of players take that on, probably the likes of Goldson, Jack, Tav etc then keeping people like McGregor is key. Look at teams like Liverpool. They keep on Milner every season for the exact same reason.

Sometimes as fans you need to look at the bigger picture. There is a reason for every single decision the club make.

Thankfully it those that are at the club to make decisions like this don’t do it irrationally.

A typical throwaway comment from an over emotional fan who’s never played the game and with the greatest respect, doesn’t have a much of a clue as to why decisions like this are made.

What people need to realise that within every single successful football team, the thing that drives the success is the culture. McGregor, regardless of age and form is key to that. It’s no coincidence that when he came back to the club our standards on the park raised levels and levels and ultimately won us the league and got us to another European cup final.

It’s being in training every single day, demanding more from the players. It’s coming out after a draw against Hamilton even though the league is won and being raging saying it’s not good enough. It’s the same with Arfield and Davis getting new deals as well. They are key to this kind of thing. McGregor and Davis have seen it all at Rangers. They are the voice in the ear of players when they are getting it tight from the stands for a missplaced pass. They are the voice in the ear of a young player who’s panicking cause we’ve dropped 2 points. They have the experience of knowing what it takes to win trophies at Rangers and what’s acceptable and what’s not. They go without someone else able to do similar in the squad, the standards drop. The culture changes and we are a worse team for it.

Until a next crop of players take that on, probably the likes of Goldson, Jack, Tav etc then keeping people like McGregor is key. Look at teams like Liverpool. They keep on Milner every season for the exact same reason.

Sometimes as fans you need to look at the bigger picture. There is a reason for every single decision the club make.

Thankfully it those that are at the club to make decisions like this don’t do it irrationally.

If McGregor isn't to be number 1 this season then having him in the squad is nothing but a hindrance.

He's 40 years old. He's not playing, therefore won't be sharp. He's going to bring an unwanted sideshow after any misplaced pass or slight mistake from McLaughlin.

Ask yourself this, if he wasn't already a Rangers player do you think we should've went out and signed him? The answer for any sane fan is no.

If McGregor isn't to be number 1 this season then having him in the squad is nothing but a hindrance.

He's 40 years old. He's not playing, therefore won't be sharp. He's going to bring an unwanted sideshow after any misplaced pass or slight mistake from McLaughlin.

Again, with the greatest of respect that is total nonsense and couldn’t be further from the truth.

No, the reason we are in this shit show is because we didn’t win the league and we all know who’s fault that was.

Again, with the greatest of respect that is total nonsense and couldn’t be further from the truth.

You don't think McGregor is a distraction? Do you think a 40 year old who isn't playing every week can come in from the cold and still be sharp?

We've played 3 competitive games so far and in every one, the media (ie. Allan's pals) have all made it a talking point.

There's almost a collective amnesia / selective memory when it comes to McGregor and just how bad he was last year.

What world class saves? Any bog standard save McGregor makes is branded as world class I don't get it.

Honestly don't even know where you start with that haha. Penalty saves, reaction saves, top corner saves. Just watch youtube youtube.

Last edited:
I would say Jon starts tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what happens in the League cup, as my preference would be for McCrorrie to get the game time.

Theres enough players thats been around long enough to keep standards high. A 40 year old keeper that looked finished last season should have been let go and replaced, i dont care what he says in the dressing room the fact is he didnt do a good job on the pitch.

Crediting Mcgregor for lifting the standards when he comes in is pushing it bit as well, it was clearly Gerrard that was the main influence behind that.

McLaughlin is number 1 for us this season IMO.

In hindsight would we have renewed McGregor's contract had we knows we'd get such a high fee for Bassey? And in turn could have then signed a new number 1 for a decent fee. Unsure...

I would start McGregor he’s our best keeper and unless we buy a new goalie who is better then he would be my number 1.

McGregors strength was always his shot stopping ability - he was outstanding and it more than made up for his reluctance to come for cross balls.

Sadly time waits for no man and, while he is still capable of moments of brilliance between the sticks, those great saves are becoming less and less frequent. In a table of Scottish Premier League goalkeepers (keeper with most appearances for each club) based on the percentage of shots saved last season McGregor came 10th saving only 67.6% of shots on target.

So, on that basis, it's a no from me, however, I don't believe McLaughlin is good enough to be a Rangers No 1 so if we don't believe McCrorie is capable of stepping up then we ought to have signed a keeper in the summer.

Last edited:
Should he %^*&.
McGregor was finished last season, he cost us the league with the basic errors, bare minimum 8 points.
McLaughlin has done nothing to deserve to be dropped.
I've seen folk on here blame him for the goal at Livi, that was Barasic and Souter not doing their job, he can't be blamed for that.
Tuesday was on Jack and Barasic, they got bullied and the ball got cut back, guy blasted the shot and it deflected past McLaughlin wasn't a massive deflection but it was the thing that sees the ball go into our net.
I've seen McGregor concede and get beaten by worse last season.
Agree 100%, USG goal slight deflection he also seen last minute , poor pass on Saturday but can’t think of any howlers and at least he comes for crosses

Are you seriously trying to tell me you know better than Ross Wilson and Giovanni Van Bronckhorst?

That’s enough Follow Follow for me today.
Nonsense point. They are not infallible.

This is a discussion forum where we constantly talk about the good decisions people with a million times more experience than us make but also the poor, terrible and ridiculous decisions they sometimes make.

It was a poor decision keeping him on. It was a poor decision to continue playing him last season when we threw away the league. He wasn't good enough last season and won't be this season. McLaughlin is already getting it tight by McGregors pals in the media and he will everytime he doesn't have a perfect game. It's unfair on McLaughlin having McGregor shadow over him.

How many more seasons do we keep him as a player so that he can give wee pep talks in the dressing room?

I doubt that McLaughlin is good enough for the highest level in Europe and it will probably cost us .

however I predict he'll do well, domestically for us, when the main danger is high crosses into the box.

A number of our signings this year are geared towards doing better domestically and maybe less so in Europe imo

I said during the livvy game that McGregor should be back between the sticks and nothing has happened since to change my mind. It is not so much a reflection on anything that McLaughlin has done just that there seems to be a greater degree of confidence throughout the team when McGregor plays. The greater challenge is to find his long term replacement because McLaughlin is not the answer
Nothing screams confidence like a defence shit scared to pass it back to their keeper when under pressure, or knowing he isn’t coming off his line for anything when crosses are getting thrown into the box at every opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back