Should Gio have went to Hampden dressing room at half time?

Hindsight aye but he should've been in charge today

First time in a long time a manager I've seen a manger get named at a club but doesn't then manage the next game

Either don't announce him till Monday or announce him before and he's in charge today. Surely he'd have wanted to go in and give the place a lift

It happens a lot imo. Eddie Howe?

It happens a lot imo. Eddie Howe?
Howe watched their game with the owners but wasnt actually appointed till a day or 2 after

Having a manager appointed who sits in the stands is really weird. Either he's hired and takes the team or you wait till tomorrow and give the place a lift

Seems we sat on the fence for whatever reason

No, I was shocked at Craigan and co suggesting it was his place to go down there at half time.
It was very bizarre - they kept emphasising how he was in hospitality at half time. Like he was enjoying a pie when he should have been shouting the odds.

I think I'm right in saying that KT said that if it had been Walter in GvB's position, he would have been in the changing room at half time. Which I actually think is very unfair from KT, as well as being bang out of order. WTF man.

It was very bizarre - they kept emphasising how he was in hospitality at half time. Like he was enjoying a pie when he should have been shouting the odds.

I think I'm right in saying that KT said that if it had been Walter in GvB's position, he would have been in the changing room at half time. Which I actually think is very unfair from KT, as well as being bang out of order. WTF man.
Walter was as respectful a man as you’ll ever likely to see. If someone else was in charge for a game then he wouldn’t have gone above them to interfere.

He goes in and undermines anything that is being said. It was up to the players to react and nothing GVB could have said would have made a difference.

The mental gymnastics on here tonight is nuts blaming gio for not going into the changing room is carstairs stuff
Can’t believe my eyes that I am even reading someone suggest that he would have done that! But you do see it all on FF.

He has no work permit yet, so cannot be involved. If he had gone in can you imagine the Sun and the Daily Retard headlines re him breaking the rules. The job's going to be hard enough for him without giving the Scottish medal a feeding frenzy.
I felt he should have addressed the situation at half time.. I gave my opinion on the fact he had his permit, as was stated on premier sports.

The shit bags knew he was watching wat more encouragement was needed
Exactly. Today was about them showing him what they are made of. Had he gone down there it would have been like mummy pandering to baby. They showed him what they are all about today and hopefully as of tomorrow they will know what he and Rangers is all about.

Absolutely not for If he did it would not only have undermined those left in charge of the game but would have shown the players he has no confidence in them and this could lead to considerable problems down the road imo!

He can now give these players an honest assessment of their failings and a clean start with new ideas for going forward as a collective after introducing himself and his team and what to expect and what is expected going forward together and on same page with what is needed to reach our goals!

Walter was as respectful a man as you’ll ever likely to see. If someone else was in charge for a game then he wouldn’t have gone above them to interfere.
Walter did on a few occasions. He allowed Ally to manage the cup games and when it want going wrong he went in and sorted it. I don’t think GVB could possibly done that today .

No sure how much of a difference it would have made, theyl team hasn't been hitting top note for Gerrard this season so why would they miraculously changed over night because of some dutch guy that they don't know nor have ever worked with.

I can understand why he never, but I think he should have. The players needed to understand that their performance and attitude was unacceptable and that he would act accordingly and if they didn't then they would be replaced with players who would. I would imagine that our half time team talk consisted of asking if the players wanted one or two orange halves. There is NO-ONE in that team who has the balls to call out that first half performance.
Did Goldson not call it out?

Walter did on a few occasions. He allowed Ally to manage the cup games and when it want going wrong he went in and sorted it. I don’t think GVB could possibly done that today .
Yeah but Walter was active in the role at the time, and I’m sure it had been agreed before hand that if we struggled he would step in.. Gio hasn’t started the job yet, he was there as a spectator today.

As I understand the position Gio is not actually an employee until tomorrow. Today he was a guest of Rangers, so he had no place being anywhere the dressing room at half time. Anyway if he had gone there the very first item of business would have been to rip the team captain a new one for attempting to chest back to the goalkeeper thereby setting up their first goal rather than simply clearing the effin thing out of the danger area.

The ridiculous decision making, in this crucial instance by the captain, by our players is at or very near the top of the issues needing urgent attention by the new management team.

Last edited:
What harm could it have done to remind the squad their positions are at stake.

I hope he appoints a new captain for starters.

Gutted at that gutless show today in front of their new boss.
Baffling.
Perhaps he should have gone to the dressing room

I’m literally just watching the game now. Had my young Great Nephew’s 2nd birthday today and hisdfrom the phone until the 2nd goal went in.

They’re just discussing this at half time and I really don’t understand why none of them can comprehend that we are awaiting a work permit getting stamped and for him to go in and give a talk could cost him his job…..

I’m literally just watching the game now. Had my young Great Nephew’s 2nd birthday today and hisdfrom the phone until the 2nd goal went in.

They’re just discussing this at half time and I really don’t understand why none of them can comprehend that we are awaiting a work permit getting stamped and for him to go in and give a talk could cost him his job…..
and would undoubtedly given the haters a stick ‘he was working without a valid work permit so should be deported immediately’ and caused the club great, possibly irreparable harm, with respect to Gio’s employment.

The last thing GVB needed was to involve himself in that match as his first business. If it had still gone as it did he loses all credibility. Anyway the players knew they were beat, another voice telling them they could still do it would have had as much impact as a David McCallum substitution.

Agree that's the reason why he wasn't in charge today, we were worried about a result like this & didn't want him associated with it

Not saying he would've stopped it but can't understand why as a new manager you wouldn't want to be involved straight away with the squad rather than sitting in the stands watching
He's not had any time to work with the players but a lot of fans don't bother about details like that and would be blaming GVB for a bad result today, if he took charge of the team.

Baffling.
Absolutely he should have. I hope he rips them all a new one tomorrow

I said it at the game, guy behind me disagreed. Believed the coaching team in charge would get it sorted for the second half!
No disrespect to them, but either their efforts all week were all wrong, or the players weren’t following them.
After Goldson’s comments, I am even more convinced Gio should have went in.

Baffling.
Of course he should have because he had two hats on yesterday, he was both watching as the new boss but he was seeing what we all saw as supporters and fans. He should have gone down and made it clear that this is what he as the new boss would not accept and that it frankly was not good enough for ANY Rangers player to be hiding and fail the support as badly and as cowardly as they did yesterday...

Hindsight aye but he should've been in charge today

First time in a long time a manager I've seen a manger get named at a club but doesn't then manage the next game

Either don't announce him till Monday or announce him before and he's in charge today. Surely he'd have wanted to go in and give the place a lift
When we appointed Alec Mcleish we did the same. He was in the stand too, think we played Hibs, so it isn't that unusual.

I would have been in favour of it, if he'd been able to take Bomber, Ian Ferguson, Barry Ferguson & Neil McCann in with him to "have a word" with the spineless shower of cowards.

Leaving out whether he actually could or not, I don't think he should have.
He'd said he wouldn't take anything to do with the match so he can't say one and do the other.

Depressing how gullible a lot of folk are to fall for this hook, line and sinker.

Media are choking to start up the “0 trophies from 1” chat with Gio when he’s barely been in the country and not worked with the team, and like absolute lemmings we’ve got people on here lining up to agree.

If for nothing else he should have went down to see who was standing up and who was hiding

The captain should be called in this morning and asked to explain how he and his team could have lost their hunger after achieving one trophy

When Ally was assistant we let him take charge of the cup ties & I can remember one game we were playing shit & he came storming down from the stands & took over. Our performance immediately improved & I loved him for it.

I think of Walter was in Gio's position he would have went down. I think he had standards he expected Rangers players to be held to & wouldn't have been able to let that performance slide.

Back