Should Gio have went to Hampden dressing room at half time?

When Ally was assistant we let him take charge of the cup ties & I can remember one game we were playing shit & he came storming down from the stands & took over. Our performance immediately improved & I loved him for it.

I think of Walter was in Gio's position he would have went down. I think he had standards he expected Rangers players to be held to & wouldn't have been able to let that performance slide.
100% different. Walter was actually our manager then, not waiting to start.

Surely he's only working in a legal sense if he's getting paid for it? if his contract officially starts tomorrow in line with his work permit arriving then how would he have been breaking visa rules?

you could argue him even attending the game to keep a watchful eye and take notes would be a breach of visa rules too based on that logic

When Ally was assistant we let him take charge of the cup ties & I can remember one game we were playing shit & he came storming down from the stands & took over. Our performance immediately improved & I loved him for it.

I think of Walter was in Gio's position he would have went down. I think he had standards he expected Rangers players to be held to & wouldn't have been able to let that performance slide.

Not even remotely similar.

He's not had any time to work with the players but a lot of fans don't bother about details like that and would be blaming GVB for a bad result today, if he took charge of the team.
tbh i dont think he would have needed any time to work with players to have at least helped out in some way or made some changes. Just having Gio on the touchline might have calmed a few players down it would certainly have helped with subs.

Only a maniac would have blamed Gio had he got involved yesterday and we still lost the game it was really one of the worst ever, not just the players but the whole tactical set up. Trying to be Man City or play like Bayern while losing to shite like Hibs in a scottish cup tie it was embarrassing. 2 strikers in the middle at ht we can still win that it should have been the most obvious change ever but our coaching staff didnt even notice.

Not saying he should or should not have got involved maybe it was agreed he wouldnt and he had no option.....think he wanted to though after 10 mins. I found it quite odd watching Gio making faces giving it the wtf and looking utterly bemused by what was going on yet not even being able to offer some sort of advice/help to the 2 guys that looked lost on the touchline.

If he hasn't actually met the players or actually talked to them in any kind of professional capacity as the manager then it's absolutely ridiculous to suggest he should go in there at half-time.

Probably the worst possible introduction the the players and completely unprofessional.

The kind of stuff that would have half the squad saying "f*ck it" and the new manager doesn't even make it to the end of the season because the players aren't even bothering to try.

The league cup is the league cup. Yes, it hurts and it is infuriating but it's the league cup.
We were 3-1 down and to be honest not ever likely to turn it around.
It's the last remnant of the Gerrard era and the lowest ebb for this team.

We get to start over today and that's the way it should be.

Depressing how gullible a lot of folk are to fall for this hook, line and sinker.

Media are choking to start up the “0 trophies from 1” chat with Gio when he’s barely been in the country and not worked with the team, and like absolute lemmings we’ve got people on here lining up to agree.

Of course.

Every c*nt in the media will be desperately trying to hit upon the perfect one-liner for this just the same as "only 1 trophy in 9" or "Morelos can't do it against Celtic" or "they can't play in front of a crowd" or "serial losers".

Then, as usual, the wind up merchants on here will gleefully parrot that line after every bad result.

Today is when Gio starts, not yesterday.

Yesterday was on gerrard and the mess he left that dressing room in.

gerrard spent a fortune and won 1 trophy out of 10

No of course he shouldn't have got involved. He had no involvement with the build upto yesterday and hasn't even met the players yet so why on earth would he go down and have a rant at them at half time?

It's not work though if his contract doesn't start until today though - surely he's allowed to speak?
He's not allowed to, ok I'll explain differently, a company in the UK gets a new chairman who's foreign and he starts on the Wednesday, he's not allowed to speak to the board in the boardroom TILL Wednesday, he maybe could talk to them on the phone but not at place of work, Hampden yesterday is classed as one of his places of work.

No, for a number of reasons:
  • He wasn't in charge.
  • Undermines the coaching staff who were in charge and who he has to work with in the long-term
  • Complete waste of time trying to get across any ideas with players he has not worked with yet, in the space of a 10-minute break
  • Waste of the first impression which will have more of an impact when it's not a charged environment with emotions running high
  • Unconvinced what added motivation it would provide - the players knew he was watching, knew they were getting pumped and humiliated, their reputations on the line, with a cup final at stake. In such a scenario, the job of the manager is often to take heat out of the situation rather than pour more fuel on the fire and send the players running onto the park like headless chickens.
Hindsight aye but he should've been in charge today

First time in a long time a manager I've seen a manger get named at a club but doesn't then manage the next game

Either don't announce him till Monday or announce him before and he's in charge today. Surely he'd have wanted to go in and give the place a lift
Happens all the time when the new manager doesn't get a clear run to work with the team in advance of a game.

I think whether Gio was in charge yesterday or not it would have made no difference to the result as it was the players bottle that went.

At least he gets to see what they are made of before he starts and he also isn't tainted by that result off the bat.

No, for a number of reasons:
  • He wasn't in charge.
  • Undermines the coaching staff who were in charge and who he has to work with in the long-term
  • Complete waste of time trying to get across any ideas with players he has not worked with yet, in the space of a 10-minute break
  • Waste of the first impression which will have more of an impact when it's not a charged environment with emotions running high
  • Unconvinced what added motivation it would provide - the players knew he was watching, knew they were getting pumped and humiliated, their reputations on the line, with a cup final at stake. In such a scenario, the job of the manager is often to take heat out of the situation rather than pour more fuel on the fire and send the players running onto the park like headless chickens.

Happens all the time when the new manager doesn't get a clear run to work with the team in advance of a game.
At a club our size, with a semi final on the horizon, having him in on Friday/Saturday then leading the team out yesterday would've surely been better than having B team coaches who were totally out of their element, in charge.

Not expecting him to boot the door down at half time or to implement a new style in 2 days but to sit in the stand while we don't even have a coaching team is crazy.

Pep Guardiola and Klopp could have gone into the dressing room and we’d still have lost.

No.

He needed to see with his own eyes what he was taking on, and who could be trusted when the chips are down.

Based on yesterdays performance, they should all be worrying about their future.

Absolutely not. He was using the game to assess the team from the stand. I'm sure he sees a team lacking in confidence which comes from the previous management team's inadequacies. Some of the squad let us down too so time to step up.

Definitely not. Start today with a clean slate without making the first interaction one with negative connotations.

Gio was damned, if he did, and now been damned he didn’t.

Presumably it was Ross Wilson’s decision that McCallum, Defoe, and the others take the game.
Can you imagine if Gio had ignored this, and undermined Wilson, and the others without the ink on has contract even dry?
Not a good look.

It was agreed by all of them before hand, who was in charge for that game.End of.

That game was on the players, who didn’t do what was asked of them.
Because as we all saw … they know better!

It's not work though if his contract doesn't start until today though - surely he's allowed to speak?

How could he sensibly argue that going into the changing rooms to speak to and try to influence the people he'll be managing about the game they are in the middle of playing shouldn't be construed as work?

He'd have been hammered for it and it would probably hurt the club for future visa applications.

Only thing GvB should have done is after the game and tell ever fuker their day off is cancelled and to be in Auchenhowie at 8am this morning. He may have done it though.

I felt he should have addressed the situation at half time.. I gave my opinion on the fact he had his permit, as was stated on premier sports.
Not having a go at you, but it was confirmed today that his work permit was only issued this morning.
Moral to the story is don't believe a single work any media source reports as they all make it up on the hoof.

Surely he's only working in a legal sense if he's getting paid for it? if his contract officially starts tomorrow in line with his work permit arriving then how would he have been breaking visa rules?

you could argue him even attending the game to keep a watchful eye and take notes would be a breach of visa rules too based on that logic?
Can you imagine for just one minute he did go the the dressing room at half time, and we managed to turn it around, only for Hivs to complain and you would have everyone and thier dog experts in UK visa requirements post Brexit and all over the press ,social media , phone ins etc
It would have been brought up in Holyrood for sure in this backwater.

I'd be extremely reluctant for that to happen, as a first proper introduction to the players.
Yeah, if he had arrived in the country a couple of days before and said at least a hello to the players then fair enough. But he needs to win them over and get them playing his way. He won't do that by charging in and saying "I know you've never met me but....." isn't going to go down well.

I would have liked him to, but can you instill the winning mentality into players that have excepted their fate yesterday, in what a 15 minutes break?

Can you imagine for just one minute he did go the the dressing room at half time, and we managed to turn it around, only for Hivs to complain and you would have everyone and thier dog experts in UK visa requirements post Brexit and all over the press ,social media , phone ins etc
It would have been brought up in Holyrood for sure in this backwater.
Resolution 13 :))

It woudl have been a case of dammed if you do dammed if you don't, for me I'm glad he had no input to that yesterday.
If he went in and was aggressive then it gets the players backs up

Considering he was never met them its a fuiking crazy idea

Also listening to Steven craigan on football matters is akin to taking parent advice of gerry and Kate mcann

The players themselves should have sorted it out.
A few home truths from teammates in my eyes isn't a bad thing.
Maybe these days though it's not the way to do things.

Back