Sligo v Motherwell pt 2

giphy.gif.35d96b99b170aef7b53ebb8f347eaa17.gif

Sold any decent player they had and never once replaced them with even a relatively close quality level.

Season after Season getting worse, letting a fraud like Robinson run them into the ground and welcome to Sligo Time.

I dont think Alexander is a bad Coach but hes got a useless group of players and the Club havent made any effort to build a reasonable team never mind squad.

Do Motherwell really have better players than Sligo Rovers?

Sold any decent player they had and never once replaced them with even a relatively close quality level.

Season after Season getting worse, letting a fraud like Robinson run them into the ground and welcome to Sligo Time.

I dont think Alexander is a bad Coach but hes got a useless group of players and the Club havent made any effort to build a reasonable team never mind squad.

They have no decent players or any tactics of note, why should they expect to beat anyone

I'd cut my bollocks off to see us win it to be honest. If we dropped down in to it, which is entirely possible, we could definitely give it a good go.

Yeah, exactly. Try telling Roma it's not a serious competition. Mourinho got a tattoo of it on his arm ffs.

Motherwell losing to a team like this is a really disappointing look for the SPFL. Why can't our teams get up to speed in time for early European qualifying rounds? It's an issue that has dogged Scottish teams for years.

Too much carry on/bevying goes on during the off-season I think.

Tbh, teams like Motherwell should be nowhere near Europe. You really need a half-decent Hibs and Aberdeen along with Hearts being the other teams representing Scotland outside Rangers and Celtic. Until those other teams stop being shit then there is the off-chance that crap like Motherwell can sneak into the top positions.

Did they really lose many notable players? I saw the lad Woolery who turned the game against us at Ibrox left for Turkey, but other than that...

They will go down they play crap football only won 1 league game I think since about February and haven’t improved. Only got into Europe because the split saved them being overtaken.

Yeah, exactly. Try telling Roma it's not a serious competition. Mourinho got a tattoo of it on his arm ffs.

Motherwell losing to a team like this is a really disappointing look for the SPFL. Why can't our teams get up to speed in time for early European qualifying rounds? It's an issue that has dogged Scottish teams for years.

Professionalism for me mate. I agree about the off season partying but I think it's more an acceptance of mediocrity. It's a thing within all of Scottish society to be honest, it' very strange. The national team and fans are experts at the "look how pish the team are but how much fun the fans are having" mentality. We got absolute pelters about losing to Malmo which although a poor result is something that can happen from time to time, yet these teams continually embarrass Scottish football and nothing ever comes of it.

Its actually quite funny the way so many immediately shift the blame onto the refs.

There are no crap refs there is no poor standard, they might bend the rules in our games and let some stuff go as they fear the media but thats bias not refs that are hopeless. Obviously for some strange reason we panic at any talk of bias and feel more comfortable just saying well all the guys are shite for every team.

If we go on a great run this year again, or Celtic maybe even Hearts, get a few results will the refs be given some credit ? will they feck.

They really are an utter disgrace.

I would ban them from Europe for a minimum of 5 years if I was in charge of SFA

Me. I’d rather we didn’t need to play multiple qualifiers to get group stage football

I sincerely hope Dundee Utd pull off a miracle and can get through their tie. I’m also hoping hearts drop down to conference as there’s more chance they’ll pick up Coefficient points

With the teams in the Conference league already and potential of those dropping out from the Europa league I don't see Hearts doing anything to help the co-efficient out either.

Absolute embarrassment.

The SFA and their referees let these hammer throwers play stone age football every week so there can be no surprise when they fail to step up in Europe. Its actually depressing that we are stuck in a league with this shower of shite
And what about the referees? Do they still use those "standards" in Europe or do they change their game?

Because if they do, they are also failing in the domestic league

You don't think the season should start a bit earlier to give us (and our coefficient destroying counterparts) more of a chance of qualifying for group stages/winning coefficient points?
Do you honestly think we need to start earlier to beat shite from Southern Ireland?

And yes I I think it should start earlier but purely for weather reasons, start early July and finish late April/May but apparently that’s not viable

I think it's just the CL and Europa cup overshadow it and make it look bad.

I don't think the name does it any favours either, bringing back memories of the Vauxhall Conference for one thing. There should be a place for a third tournament, but it needs a rebrand.

What is it going to take for these clubs to totally change their outdated approach to the game? Money isn't an excuse as poorer countries have teams who can at least compete and play football.
Merge the Dundee, lanarkshire & Edinburgh clubs to make 3 bigger clubs with Edinburgh thistle especially being able to muster a challenge past Christmas. Only way we get a more competitive league without bringing old firm levels down to theirs.

Merge the Dundee, lanarkshire & Edinburgh clubs to make 3 bigger clubs with Edinburgh thistle especially being able to muster a challenge past Christmas. Only way we get a more competitive league without bringing old firm levels down to theirs.
And you think Hibs/hearts/Dundee Utd/Dundee/Motherwell and Hamilton fans would all support the amalgamated teams?

Wish I could find a f**k to give about teams like Motherwell but I just can't.
I get the coefficient thing and I know it's important to some folk but for me ,if Rangers keep up their standards as we have done for several seasons we will make our own coefficient and qualify by our own efforts.
Heats, Hibs Aberdeen etc. won't do a single thing to improve the Scottish coefficient mainly because they are inherently pish and will always disappoint.

With the teams in the Conference league already and potential of those dropping out from the Europa league I don't see Hearts doing anything to help the co-efficient out either.
They’ll get out their group if they go into the conference, might have to sacrifice some of their domestic campaign a bit, which they should.

Look at the absolute shitehawks that picked up a good amount of points in the groups last year, HJK, Randers, Jablonec, Tel-Aviv all got 6+ points and teams like Flora Tallin were picking up points.

If Hearts get a decent enough draw then they’ll go through I reckon.

And what about the referees? Do they still use those "standards" in Europe or do they change their game?

Because if they do, they are also failing in the domestic league
They obviously ref the same way in europe that they do in Scotland.

Similar to every other nation.

There are no crap refs its a cop out a way to avoid speaking about bias.

They will let things go in our games but thats it they dont ignore thuggery in a Motherwell v St Mirren match.

Has no one noticed the standard of refereeing is excellent when it comes to giving decisions against us ?

Motherwell’s stature in Europe is evidenced by the fact Jamie Murphy is their all time top scorer in Europe.

This would be good but its never going to happen. South Lanarkshire has a population of close 320-350k. It was around 320k about 4 years ago but with the amount of new builds in the south lan area I am positive that has increased massively. So there potential there for a good fan base but most probably already support Rangers or Celtic. EK alone has a population of around 80k and the place is still growing.

I think Scottish Football like someone above pointed out needs a mentality shift, well Scotland needs it. This small nation, we are shite and we know it but were a good laugh mentality needs to move on. We need to have a winning mentality, we need to believe we can be better than anyone, we need coaches who can install mentality into the kids coming through the game.

We need our league set up to change. We need more money to be generated in our game.

When was the last time any Scottish Club other than Rangers or Celtic progressed through the qualifying rounds and made it to a group stage??

Think there's a lot of truth in this. Tbh, we were no different for many years, even under Walter. We would be unprepared for playing European games before the league campaign. Gerrard was the first manager we had, IMO, who had us ready for Europe year on year and set up the entire pre-season around it - we didn't negotiate 11 qualifiers in 3 years by accident.

I think too many of the other clubs just aren't switched on when it comes to these games. It's unprofessional. Motherwell would probably beat Sligo in November/December.

Don't disagree with this, but lets be honest, the Sligo players will be the same/worse.

The simple fact of the matter is that Murderwell, like most Scottish teams, are just really really shite.

They’ll get out their group if they go into the conference, might have to sacrifice some of their domestic campaign a bit, which they should.

Look at the absolute shitehawks that picked up a good amount of points in the groups last year, HJK, Randers, Jablonec, Tel-Aviv all got 6+ points and teams like Flora Tallin were picking up points.

Guess it comes down to who they draw at the end of the day but I just don't see Hearts doing anything.

Their lap of honour when they qualified for Europe must seem like a distant memory :D

They have no money, they are constantly buying bit part players from League 1 and 2, and sometimes lower!

The only viable way for Scottish clubs to progress themselves is player trading. Aberdeen have struck gold this summer, Hibs have brought in good money too. The only way to do it consistently though is a huge emphasis on youth and most Scottish clubs are far too short termist to do that. To do it well, you need excellent scouting and youth recruitment too.

Always the same story every season with the team that finishes 3rd, 4th or wherever and the cup winners if it isn't us or the scum.
Then when the inevitable pumping like last night happens the headlines are along the lines of "minnows dump <insert team here> out of the europa league/conference league etc"
It's happened that often and nothing changes it's like there's an arrogance from whoever manages to scrape 3rd or 4th or win a cup and it's like they expect just to turn up and win - maybe time for them to realise that they're maybe the minnows when it comes to european football.
Sure the same old cliches about the other team being 3/4 way through their season will get wheeled out to excuse that shambles of a display from Motherwell.

There's a motherwell fan in my work who went over there for the game. He asked me to swap rest days with him so he could be off for their game in the next round this wednesday LOL

I would tend to agree with this to an extent but Alexander has to take his share of the blame they played 2 pre season games before this....knowing they could draw teams well into their seasons.

The average Scottish jobber simply does not have the ability nor professionalism to compete at European level. They are frauds to their supporters.

Compounded by the fact that their opponents were 26 games into their season.

Said it before, will say it again, the SPFL moved the league cup to give teams in Europe an earlier start and better chance of competing in the early rounds. They then give European teams a bye to the knock out rounds.

You couldn't make it up.

Motherwell played Sligo on the back of two friendlies. Yes, they should have beaten them in any case, but that's no preparation at all. Had they been in the league cup group stage and played a couple of games I bet the result would have been different.

Think there's a lot of truth in this. Tbh, we were no different for many years, even under Walter. We would be unprepared for playing European games before the league campaign. Gerrard was the first manager we had, IMO, who had us ready for Europe year on year and set up the entire pre-season around it - we didn't negotiate 11 qualifiers in 3 years by accident.

I think too many of the other clubs just aren't switched on when it comes to these games. It's unprofessional. Motherwell would probably beat Sligo in November/December.
Motherwell should be beating Sligo Rovers after 7 pints.

This would be good but its never going to happen. South Lanarkshire has a population of close 320-350k. It was around 320k about 4 years ago but with the amount of new builds in the south lan area I am positive that has increased massively. So there potential there for a good fan base but most probably already support Rangers or Celtic. EK alone has a population of around 80k and the place is still growing.

I think Scottish Football like someone above pointed out needs a mentality shift, well Scotland needs it. This small nation, we are shite and we know it but were a good laugh mentality needs to move on. We need to have a winning mentality, we need to believe we can be better than anyone, we need coaches who can install mentality into the kids coming through the game.

We need our league set up to change. We need more money to be generated in our game.

When was the last time any Scottish Club other than Rangers or Celtic progressed through the qualifying rounds and made it to a group stage??
2007 Aberdeen got in.

Some of the goals the rats conceded to Jablonec in the qualifiers were genuinely hilarious.

Unless they do something in Europe we will slide down the table, relative Rangers and Celtic success isn’t enough to stop that. It’s inevitable unfortunately, just a matter of how far down the table we fall.
Hearts are our only hope.

I think they will pick up a few wins at Tynecastle.

If they get a decent draw I wouldn't put it past them getting into the EL but probably would be better for the coefficient if they drop down to the conference were they should do reasonably well.

Back