So, Eintracht Frankfurt. What do we know about them?

Something slightly interesting of note with Frankfurt I've noticed is their late goals, happened in 3 of their group stage games, 2 of those being winners and the other rescuing a draw, extra time winner against betis as well at 120 minutes. They score early a hell of a lot too. Not sure what to make of it but the late goals is a scary one

Their fans are just as excited about the game as us. They're already planning a homecoming celebration party for their players at the Römer, whether they win or not. They'll also sell out a beam back at Deutsche Bank Park.

Better teams than them have been knocked out, but there are very few, if any, that want the competition as much. Barcelona felt the Europa League was beneath them, while Leipzig didn't have the same kind of partisan fan backing. Like us, there's a feeling of destiny around Frankfurt when it comes to this tournament. Even their manager said they aren't the best players or coaches, but as a group they've stumbled upon something special.

It's a different kind of challenge to anything we've faced so far. They are desperate to be victors just as much as we are, and see it as a similar once in a generatiojn achievement. It'll be a refreshing game between two storied clubs that are buzzing to be there.

If it was a two legged affair I'd fancy us strongly, especially at Ibrox.

A one off tie I don't know man. On paper they've put out stronger teams than us.

Agreed 2 legs would be easier however we've also put out stronger teams than them so it's anyone's game.

The fact there is this mindset that we already beat the better German teams is what's giving me the fear.

We underestimate this lot for a second we'll get torn to shreds. You don't get to a European Final on pure luck alone (no matter what a certain inbreded lot think). They are the real deal and we need to demand they are treated as such.

They are a good team, reminds me a lot of us under Gerrard. At their best on the counter with breaking runners from midfield and the danger men on the flanks. Also very physical, they can mix it up if needed. Kostic is probably their stand out player, but Borre up top is also a dangerous striker who can find the back of the net.

Two big weaknesses though. In possession they aren't the best. They prefer creating by winning the second ball and countering. Lots of dangerous crosses rather than cutting teams open after long passing moves. Compact and organised and they won't get through (West Ham fans bemoaned losing the early goal for this reason).

Second is defensively. They concede a lot. In part because they push their wing backs up, exploit that and it's game on. But also in general, they are the kind of team to sometimes struggle with a simple long ball or a fast runner. Hinte is likely their best defender, him being out of an already shaky defence is huge.

They are tough and fully capable of punishing us. But if we are on our game we have the quality to beat them. Tav vs Kostic will be the big match up, Goldson's raking balls will terrify them and if we can keep Kent in a dangerous area there is a good chance for us to stop them from playing their usual game.

It'll be close. Can see both teams scoring. Reckon it will come down to who handles the pressure and turns up.

Firstly I have to say I've only seen them in the two games against WH - so I'll certainly concede my observations are pretty limited
But like I said earlier in the thread - their defence seemed to me to be quite efficient at dealing with potential break-aways

I know that WH had 10 men in the 2nd leg for a lengthy period - but even when EF had men storming forward into WH's penalty box- they still had a solid backstop in position - at all times

They just didn't look too phased on the few occasions WH employed 'long balls or fast runners'

Going on these two games alone - I thought they look better at dealing with breakaways than most of the other opponents we've met so far

Considering we've beaten the 2nd and 5th place teams in the Bundesliga, shouldn't be expecting to be outclassed in any way.

That being said, I'm sure GVB has a plan for them just like all of our European opponents, and they won't be underestimated.

The fact there is this mindset that we already beat the better German teams is what's giving me the fear.

We underestimate this lot for a second we'll get torn to shreds. You don't get to a European Final on pure luck alone (no matter what a certain inbreded lot think). They are the real deal and we need to demand they are treated as such.

We can underestimate them all we want. I'm sure Gio won't. He'll have the players ready.

Their fans are just as excited about the game as us. They're already planning a homecoming celebration party for their players at the Römer, whether they win or not. They'll also sell out a beam back at Deutsche Bank Park.

Better teams than them have been knocked out, but there are very few, if any, that want the competition as much. Barcelona felt the Europa League was beneath them, while Leipzig didn't have the same kind of partisan fan backing. Like us, there's a feeling of destiny around Frankfurt when it comes to this tournament. Even their manager said they aren't the best players or coaches, but as a group they've stumbled upon something special.

It's a different kind of challenge to anything we've faced so far. They are desperate to be victors just as much as we are, and see it as a similar once in a generatiojn achievement. It'll be a refreshing game between two storied clubs that are buzzing to be there.

Fair point on the support. But I think they'll be surprised how much we want it and I guarantee you they'll be shocked if they think their fans are going to be louder than ours.

We're Rangers, we're all fucking mental, man.

They have five players out/doubtful for the final.

All key players so in an ideal world even 2/3 of those miss out and we get Ramsey, Roofe and Aribo back.

Last edited:
Firstly I have to say I've only seen them in the two games against WH - so I'll certainly concede my observations are pretty limited
But like I said earlier in the thread - their defence seemed to me to be quite efficient at dealing with potential break-aways

I know that WH had 10 men in the 2nd leg for a lengthy period - but even when EF had men storming forward into WH's penalty box- they still had a solid backstop in position - at all times

They just didn't look too phased on the few occasions WH employed 'long balls or fast runners'

Going on these two games alone - I thought they look better at dealing with breakaways than most of the other opponents we've met so far
Yeah I thought the same but I don’t know if those games are characteristic of what I’ve seen of them through the season.

That’s the thing with them. Europe they look a different beast.

If it was a two legged affair I'd fancy us strongly, especially at Ibrox.

A one off tie I don't know man. On paper they've put out stronger teams than us.
Yup agree with this. 2 leg match I think we're finding a way by them. I often think we use the first leg to suss teams out as we're nearly always far superior in the 2nd leg in Europe. This time we don't have that but I trust Gio will have them studied down to every single squad player they have and will know what we need to do.

Despite their position in the Bundesliga they’re a team not to be underestimated just like us. Keep Kostic, Kamada and Borre quiet and play our hearts out like we always have.

Eintracht Frankfurt have drawn twice with Red Bull this season, 0-0 then 1-1​

Eintracht Frankfurt lost to Dortmund 5-2 then lost 3-2 to give things some context.​

We will not be favourites to win the final and it’ll take a “Thursday night” type performance to win it but we can definitely do this.
Hope Roofe and Ramsey are back and firing for that

Massive club in Germany. Dying to win something. Massive fanbase.

They're 10th in Bundesliga, but I'd say a much bigger challenge than Dortmund (2nd in League) or Leipzig (5th).

They were unlucky to miss out on a Europa final a few years back

Massive club in Germany. Dying to win something. Massive fanbase.

They're 10th in Bundesliga, but I'd say a much bigger challenge than Dortmund (2nd in League) or Leipzig (5th).

They were unlucky to miss out on a Europa final a few years back
13th.

I can see an argument their league position undervalues them, and maybe they’re a better side than Leipzig. But not Dortmund.

They are a strange one. They havent won a domestic game since the 13th March yet have been brilliant in Europe.

They prioritise Europe over the league. Their manager is very clear about this and will drop a lot of the first team for domestic games before Europa games.

It looks like they play really dirty football, they have have committed a lot more fouls and have a lot more yellow cards than any other team.

Playing such a dirty team means that it is important the referee has a good performance and doesn't take any nonsense from them.

Watched some of their Europa highlights there, definitely a well organised team with players capable of something special (Kamada, Kostic, Knauff all look good, Knauff on loan from Dortmund). Don't look to be as talented as Dortmund or RBL but more physical and we have to expect that they'll work every bit as hard as us.

They play 343, with dangerous wide players who arrive late onto cross balls. Previous teams (Barca, West Ham) have given them a lot of space and been punished for it - a mistake I don't expect us to make.

They scored very early goals away to Barca and WH so we'll need to be at it right from the first whistle as we don't want to have to chase it and leave space. That said, they can be got at as they seem happy to stick with a back three even if it means man for man, or when defending crosses.

I'd have them as slight favourites but that suits us IMO.

Back