Soldier walks from York Minster to Ibrox for Old Firm match - please Sponsor (210 miles)

RSEA

Official Ticketer
Hi Folks

As we look forward to the match against them on the 3rd April, please give a thought to serving soldier and Blue Nose Martin Johnman who will also be attending.

However unlike you and me Martin has started walking to the Game already.

Approx 1hr ago Martin began his 210 mile walk from York Minster to arrive for the game in ten days.

The reason for this?

He is attempting to raise as much money as he can for the Erskine Veterans

If you can spare a few pounds please sponsor Martin on his fantastic Trek

Massive thanks

Russell Nash

150 ANNIVERSARY TREK
York Minster to Ibrox Stadium

DAY ONE
YORKMINSTER to TOPCLIFFE

[/B][/B]

Hi Everyone
My name is Martin
I am a soldier and a bluenose

I am walking 210 miles to see The Rangers play.

Hopefully along the way I can raise some cash for ERSKINE

I set myself this challenge back in October 2021 and time flew in.
This morning I left my home for the train station at 7am.

I had a wee photo shoot with the charity flag outside the Minster
with 2 very kind and helpful strangers that thought I was crazy!

At 8am I set of from York Minster only stopping twice for food and some foot administration.

My goal was to reach Topcliffe by sundown, as I don't plan on moving during the dark hours. I reached Topcliffe 7hrs and 20mins later after cover an astonishing 21miles on the first day.

Now it's time for rest and refuel the body ready for tomorrow's leg to Leyburn.
Thank you for the continued support

MARTIN J
Spectemur Agendo

Day one
Completed it, mate!

Last edited:
Thank you for all the best wishes to Martin
They have been passed on
He his most humbled

150 ANNIVERSARY TREK

DAY TWO
TOPCLIFFE to BEDALE

It was a challenge this morning to wake up and find the motivation to get moving... Not going to lie.
My legs were in agony, my feet were in agony and guess what? So was my shoulders!
I am now travelling with my full kit bag so it's even heavier now.
At 9am I left Topcliffe and headed for Leyburn.
The sun was out already and getting warmer with every step.
Luckily for me, I took the wrong turn and ended up adding 4miles onto my journey!
I stopped off a few times in the shade to hide away from the heat.

During the day I was contacted by BBC RADIO YORK who had heard my story and I also did an interview for Hoggys Hamper on Heart and Hand

I reached Bedale around 5pm and needed fed, so stopped off at a local pub, The White Bear, and grabbed a cheeseburger.
Due to the exposure of the sun today and adding on a few extra miles, for The Queen, I decided to set up camp.

Just after I did I received a wonderful Good Luck call from RWGMoS Bro Jim McHarg, who wished me all the best with my trek, *still smiling

This is me now playing catch up but I am determined and I WILL reach Ibrox next on time for match day

Thank you all for your donations they are really keeping me moving forward

WATP

MARTIN J
Spectemur Agendo

Last edited:
Hello, fellow bears, there must be supporter's clubs along this Soldiers long walk, who could walk beside or give him some moral support, please, help this fellow bear ,on his treck to Ibrox

This all day long

*well not ALL day long, maybe a few hours

Almost at £4k

Heard Martin on Hoggys hamper

Massive thanks @vanderhogg

150 ANNIVERSARY TREK

DAY 3
BEDALE to BROUGH SOWERBY
39 miles

What a beautiful morning to start playing catch up.
I left the campsite just before 8am and headed for the end goal of South Stainmore.

It wasn't long into my morning when I received a phone call from an extraordinary man named James. We have never met however he holds Erskine very close to his heart and said what I was doing was a great thing, James offered me his home for a night, a warm bath and fresh food! An amazing gesture that left me a little bit emotional after the phone call and gave me the drive to push forward today.

I reached Day 2s target destination, Leyburn, before lunch and stopped off in a pharmacy for more Compeed.
The woman asked me if I walked far as I hobbled through the shop. I replied, York and she simply laughed and said no seriously?! Again, the answer remained York. She then asked where I was going and I chuckled to myself and simply replied, Home - I'm going to Ibrox in Glasgow. At this point she knew I wasn't lying and was genuinely stuck for words. This has to be the most craziest thing I have ever done yet!

Off I headed up the hills and across the open Moorlands for South Stainmore. In the middle of nowhere was a little pub - famous apparently - called the Tan Hill Inn.

I stopped briefly for a quick bite to eat and for some fluids. During my pit stop I received a video call from a friend, the owner of Ed's Independent Traders in Tullibody and sat beside him in the car was none other than Marco Negri! They wished me well and hopes to see me the next time he's in Scotland!

I broke my one rule today - do not walk during the dark hours. Out with the head torch and off I wandered to my campsite for tonight. A small woodblock just passed South Stainmore.

Without the amazing phone calls, words of encouragement and the continued support of everyone I don't think I would have made it here tonight, so thank you to everyone of you for backing me and helping push through this barrier!
Day 4 starts tomorrow and it's onwards towards Penrith

Last edited:
When does Martin get into Glasgow? Wouldn't it be great if 2-3k fans joined for the last 3-5 miles, walking behind him to Ibrox for the match.

If we could get some badges or something made up and sold at £10 a pop, and ask all those joining the walk to buy and wear one, we could raise some serious coin for Erskine.

Last edited:
Hello fellow bears, Martin will be arriving at Ibrox on Sat about mid afternoon early evening,he is leaving Blackwood, South Lanarkshire at 7am on Sat, heading down through Larkhall (8 to 8:30am)onto Hamilton(10 to 10:15 am) through Burnbank (11ish) into Blantyre(11:30 ish onto Halfway (12 ish)into Cambuslang (12:30 ish) onto Rutherglen, about 1 to 1:30pm can all the good people of these places look out for or even walk a wee bit with him, I think he might need a final push after doing 200 miles by this point,⚽⚽,WATP

150 ANNIVERSARY TREK

DAY 4
BROUGH SOWERBY to PENRITH
26.5miles

Started off with a burst of energy that came from no where! I was skipping down the road everything!

Off for Penrith I was bound!
I made a stop Appleby just off the A66 at a pub called The Royal Oak - amazing hospitality, food and service! It was at the Royal Oak that I bumped into (Leslie's Own) Broxi Bear and through the town of Appleby Broxi and I paraded waving his 150th flag!

After we said 'until we meet again'... Away across the A66 I spent the rest of my day. Mile after mile pounding into my heels, toes and blisters under the red hot sun, AGAIN!

On my journey I was brought back to light as I recieved a video from SAINT PHNX wishing me well and keep digging in! This automatically put me in my Happy Place and away I went!

I had another quick phone call from James again, checking in to see how I was doing and while on the phone "Pop!" There goes one of my blisters, I had to bite my tongue and ask James to be excused while I hurled abuse at my own body in the middle of the A66!

Eventually, with a burst blister, no sensation in any of my pinky toes, severe cramp in both calves and back I made it to the campsite North of Penrith tonight.

I laid out the flag next to my tent and instantly thought of those Absent Friends with the setting of the sun.
Roll on to Gretna tomorrow, another day down another emotional day!

MARTIN J

Spectemur Agendo

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who has donated to Martin's Walk so far

He is doing an incredible task and his legs and feet are in agony

If anyone knows any Rangers players or Ex players who could send him a message
Please get in touch to arrange

This would lift his spirits immensely

Thanks

NASH

I just donated a little, some effort, keep plugging away Martin the famous main stand is just round the corner.

A sports massage at the end of each day might be a good thing to set up, i am sure there will be a qualified bear at the end of each leg(pardon the pun) willing to help.

Last edited:
Back