Soldier walks from York Minster to Ibrox for Old Firm match - please Sponsor (210 miles)

150 ANNIVERSARY TREK
York Minster to Ibrox Stadium

DAY 5
PENRITH to GRETNA
32 miles

Woke up this morning with the sound of rain on my tent.
My legs, feet, shoulders and neck were in agony
I felt like a train wreck

Up I got into the fresh air, packed up and hobbled out of the campsite and began my towards Gretna.

From the pain and stiffness from Day 4 I was not in the right headspace when I left so I left my phone as side and tried to mentally wake myself up and march on.

About 6hours later, my legs loosened up, I found my rhythm and stride again and I was able to plod away quite happily through today's pain.

Just before I reached the Scottish Border my oldest friend, Paul, got in contact and told me to make my way to Gretna Services - a hotel room was booked in my name!

This gave me a huge lift and a sense of urgency to get there and grab a bath!

Across the Border I went, a quick change of clothes at the side of the road and the flag was out for a picture I will be getting framed!

45mins later I arrived at the hotel and before my shoes were off the bath was running.

Day 5 completed!

Half way there!

Thank you all for the support and encouragement it truly does keep me going and gives me motivation to get shifting in the mornings.

Let's look to a better start to the day tomorrow as I head to Johnstonebridge.

MARTIN J
Spectemur Agendo

Last edited:
Hi Folks

As we look forward to the match against them on the 3rd April, please give a thought to serving soldier and Blue Nose Martin Johnman who will also be attending.

However unlike you and me Martin has started walking to the Game already.

Approx 1hr ago Martin began his 210 mile walk from York Minster to arrive for the game in ten days.

The reason for this?

He is attempting to raise as much money as he can for the Erskine Veterans

If you can spare a few pounds please sponsor Martin on his fantastic Trek

Massive thanks

Russell Nash
I know martins brother well both massive bluenose and both in the forces. I will be donating good luck to him.

150 ANNIVERSARY TREK

DAY 6
GRETNA to JOHNSTONEBRIDGE
24 miles

Woke up at 5am very drowsy and tired.

Checked my phone and had numerous messages telling me to check my Justgiving page - a very kind donor donated a very large sum which woke me up straight away!

Straight for a bath and then out the door for a morning in thick fog.
Up the road I marched and an amazing pace all the way to Ecclefechan - with a Union Bears sticker on the welcome sign - when I had my first stop.

Off I continued along the same long road pounding my feet into the concrete over and over again. It wasn't until the last 6 miles that I started to feel the pain in my feet.

I arrived at Johnstonebridge at around 4pm and wandered straight into the hotel where they have been kind enough to look after me. Thank You

The Hotel gave me a £10 meal voucher for food at the service station safe to safe alot of calories were consumed to rebuild myself for tomorrow.

I received a phone call from Leslie's Own Broxi Bear who has been generous enough to pay for a hotel room for tomorrow for me at Abingdon. Gives me something to look and work forward to tomorrow!

I cannot thank each and everyone of you who have left kind words over social media platforms, forums and who has donated towards this very challenging walk, thank you!

Last edited:

150 ANNIVERSARY TREK

DAY 7
JOHNSTONEBRIDGE to ABINGTON
27 miles

Today I woke up surrounded in pillows - I had them everywhere to elevate my legs and to give my blisters a lot of cushion through the night.
I found myself more motivated than I expected, however, in a lot of discomfort with my feet.

I skipped a morning shower, got ready and hobbled out the door at 6am as I knew today was going to be a monumental challenge…

I was right!

To keep my head in the game and my mind focused on the task at hand all distractions were put a side.

Step by step I limped up the road. With a burst blister on my right heel from the day before and a gigantic blister on my left heel, I tried to keep the pace steady but fair to comfort in the pain.
With all four seasons today it has been the most challenging yet, from rain and snow showers to blue skies and blinding light

From the cold start of the morning to the heat of the sun in the afternoon and then back to cold

Finally here I am at todays destination - Abingdon!

I drive up and down the M74 at least once a month.
But walking alongside it… well that's a different experience!

Today has taught me a very valuable life lesson -
Slow Down,
Embrace The Surroundings,
Enjoy The Views,
Enjoy The Silence Of Nature
and
Take Everything In.

I have reached the final quarter of my journey and this last leg is not going to be easy.
Slow and steady through the pain,
the cry is No Surrender!

Last edited:

Day 7:
I woke up surrounded in pillows this morning - I had them everywhere to elevate my legs and to give my blisters a lot of cushion through the night.
I woke up quite motivated, however, in a lot of discomfort with my feet. I skipped a morning shower, got ready and hobbled out the door at 6am as I knew today was going to be a monumental challenge… I was right!
To keep my head in the game and my mind focused on the task at hand all distractions were put a side. Step by step I limped up the road. With a burst blister on my right heel from the day before and a gigantic blister on my left heel, I tried to keep the pace steady but fair to comfort in the pain. With all seasons today it has been challenging, from rain and snow showers to blue skies and blinding light, from the cold start of the morning to the heat of the sun in the afternoon and then back to cold it's safe to say, I am here at Abingdon!
I drive up and down the M74 at least once a month, minimum. But walking alongside it… well that's a different experience! Today has taught me a very valuable life lesson - Slow Down, Embrace The Surroundings, Enjoy The Views, Enjoy The Silence Of Nature and Take It All In.
I have reached the final quarter of my journey and this last leg is not going to be easy. Slow and steady through the pain, the cry is No Surrender!
Absolutely superb big man.

I'm doing lands end to john o groats on a bike in May. I reckon doing what you are doing us much tougher though! At least I can roll down hills on my bike!

150 ANNIVERSARY TREK

DAY
ABINGTON to Blackwood
16 miles

Today's goal was a little bit closer than the rest at 16miles as I aiming for James' home in Blackwood

I left around 9am this morning and straight out into the snowy hills and the cool wind.
As I left Abingdon Services I saw a car pull up on the side of the road - thought the driver was going to offer me a lift, thankfully I was so wrong!!!

I was greeted with, "Good Morning Martin, I'm James and this is Starky!"
James got his bag out the car and was ready to join me for a day of walking, I could not have been happier to have someone to talk too!
I dropped my bag in Starky's car and grabbed my essentials - which was a lot lighter for my shoulders. Then off we went up the road towards Blackwood!
IMG-20220331-WA0023.jpg
[/url]

We chatted the whole way about this, that and everything else which was amazing as the past 170miles has just been myself and the lovely visit from Leslie's Own Broxi Bear and Family.

Time was flying by and soon enough Starky appeared on the road again - car boot open and we had a KFC picnic for a wee morale boost, it was amazing!

Then off we went again.

A few hours later we reached James' home and I couldn't have been happier to take my shoes off! A lovely cup of tea and a relaxing bath was waiting!

Just after I arrived at James's home, I received a wonderful video message from Rangers Treble Winner Gordon Smith, who took time out to wish me well and give me encouragement and also to thank me, it was amazing to receive this and i have to admit Ive watched it over, more than once.

It's been a brilliant day today with great company and surprises!

A short stint tomorrow, heading to Larkhall with James, only a few miles planned to keep the legs moving then on Saturday it is the home stretch from Larkhall to Ibrox Stadium!

If you wish to come out and walk alongside or even just watch me hobble along please do, come show your support please it is greatly appreciated!

We are the People

Cheers

MARTIN J

Spectemur Agendo

Last edited:
Reading this while I lie in my warm pit. Admirable effort young man for a great cause.

These are hard times but if you can afford to donate then please do so for a great cause and for this lad's fantastic effort.

Hello fellow bears, I have spent the last two days with this young man, he is a credit not only to his family , but to the Forces and humanity in general.If any bears see him tomorrow ,please give him some support, his body and his feet are aching, but he is determined to walk up the PRW, tomorrow to finish his trek, what an achievement for a wonderful cause, he will be setting off from Larkhall at 8am, going through Hamilton from 9:45, onto Burnbank/Blantyre 10:30,onto Halfway/Cambuslang 11:30, onto Rutherglen about 12:30, then heading for Ibrox, should be on the PRW about 2:15pm, please look out for Martin, he is certainly one of our own.

150 ANNIVERSARY TREK

DAY 9
BLACKWOOD to LARKHALL
5 miles

The end is in sight!
With only having to do a shorter distance to Larkhall today - 5 miles.

A lovely slow morning with a beautiful fry up for breakfast this morning - James is spoiling me!

Around 12pm we stepped off from Blackwood and headed to Larkhall.
Again I had company which is always welcome

James, his good friend Starky and a great wee furry companion called Cooper!

Off we marched, initially through Stonehouse and onto the boundary sign of Larkhall - which will be my starting point for tomorrow morning for my last leg.

We finished up and Starky brought us back to Kirkmuirhill/Blackwood to relax before the last leg, on Saturday morning!

We sat out in the garden with a cuppa and a few biscuits before I jumped in the bath with muscle relaxants.

Sights are set on tomorrow and the people that I will meet.

I went to bed about half 9pm and about 9.50pm the phone rang, a bloody foreign number at this time of night,

"hello sir, have you been in a car accident"?

I thought to myself, and hung up without answering.

But it was whatsapp, that was unusual right.

And there was a small profile picture.

OMG!!
What had I done,
RICHARD GOUGH!!!!!!!!!!

James came into my room, he said, Tam's just off the phone, he said if you get a call from America dont hang up

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

What had I just done.
I called back, and King Richard answered, he was great, he asked all about my walk with interest, and we talked about the match tomorrow and about 9 in a row.
What a guy, what a phone call, I was absolutely buzzing.

Now it was time to sleep
Like that was gonna happen easily now :D

If you see me out and about tomorrow please come say 'Hullo' - I will be walking with Erskine Charity Buckets too if anyone could spare a penny or two it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for the continued support

MARTIN J
Spectemur Agendo

Last edited:
Just left Martin, with the good people Larkhall

The end is in sight!

A lovely slow morning with a beautiful fry up for breakfast this morning - James is spoiling me!

Around 12pm we stepped off from Black and headed to Larkhall. Again I had the company of James, his good friend Starky and a great wee furry companion called Cooper! Off we marched past Stonehouse and onto the boundary sign of Larkhall - which will be my starting point for tomorrow morning for my last leg.
We finished up and Starky brought us back to Kirkmuirhill to relax before the last leg! We sat out in the garden with a cuppa and a few biscuits before I jumped in the bath with muscle relaxants.
Sights are set on tomorrow and the people that I will meet. If you see me out and about tomorrow please come say 'Hullo' - I will be walking with Erskine Charity Buckets too if anyone could spare a penny or two it would be greatly appreciated!

MARTIN J
Spectemur Agendo
I have left Martin in the care of the good people of Larkhall this morning (thanks to Ants of Curlys bar) who will look after him till Hamilton, please look out for Martin as he is feeling tired and weary, and give him a wee bit of encouragement on his final day of his 10 day trek,for Erskine.

Hello fellow bears, I have spent the last two days with this young man, he is a credit not only to his family , but to the Forces and humanity in general.If any bears see him tomorrow ,please give him some support, his body and his feet are aching, but he is determined to walk up the PRW, tomorrow to finish his trek, what an achievement for a wonderful cause, he will be setting off from Larkhall at 8am, going through Hamilton from 9:45, onto Burnbank/Blantyre 10:30,onto Halfway/Cambuslang 11:30, onto Rutherglen about 12:30, then heading for Ibrox, should be on the PRW about 2:15pm, please look out for Martin, he is certainly one of our own.

Viking

Thank you for such a wonderful act

Taking in a complete stranger and treating them like family, what an exceptional gesture

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

NEC lessons learned and acted upon.

Now leaving Camslang and into Ruggy

Please sponsor

Some effort from the boy

Fantasic and great reading his journey commentry.
Make sure there are plenty of buckets out tomorrow.:))

WATP

I walked the 8 miles to my work one day during the first lockdown, in a pair of Hirachis, comfy as anything and felt like I was walking on clouds.

Hobbled the last mile due to blistering on both plates, so fair fuks to this guy doing 210 miles on foot.

An outstanding achievement and well worthy of a wee Bruce Jenner from me.

Well done.

Some effort, for those who have not been following a small donation will get Martin closer to 7k, the initial ask was £1500 so once again the Rangers family have stepped up to the plate in appreciation of Martins blisters.

Fantastic big man, what an effort, wee donation made, it’s the least you deserve. If the team has the same heart and puts in the same effort tomorrow it will be a good day.

Viking

Thank you for such a wonderful act

Taking in a complete stranger and treating them like family, what an exceptional gesture

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

NEC lessons learned and acted upon.

150 ANNIVERSARY TREK

DAY 9
BLACKWOOD to LARKHALL
5 miles

The end is in sight!

Around 12pm we stepped off from Blackwood and headed to Larkhall.
Again I had company which is always welcome

James, his good friend Starky and a great wee furry companion called Cooper!

Off we marched, initially through Stonehouse and onto the boundary sign of Larkhall - which will be my starting point for tomorrow morning for my last leg.

We finished up and Starky brought us back to Kirkmuirhill/Blackwood to relax before the last leg, on Saturday morning!

We sat out in the garden with a cuppa and a few biscuits before I jumped in the bath with muscle relaxants.

Sights are set on tomorrow and the people that I will meet.

I went to bed about half 9pm and about 9.50pm the phone rang, a bloody foreign number at this time of night,

"hello sir, have you been in a car accident"?

I thought to myself, and hung up without answering.

But it was whatsapp, that was unusual right.

And there was a small profile picture.

OMG!!
What had I done,
RICHARD GOUGH!!!!!!!!!!

James came into my room, he said, Tam's just off the phone, he said if you get a call from America dont hang up

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

What had I just done.
I called back, and King Richard answered, he was great, he asked all about my walk with interest, and we talked about the match tomorrow and about 9 in a row.
What a guy, what a phone call, I was absolutely buzzing.

Now it was time to sleep
Like that was gonna happen easily now :D

If you see me out and about tomorrow please come say 'Hullo' - I will be walking with Erskine Charity Buckets too if anyone could spare a penny or two it would be greatly appreciated!

MARTIN J
Spectemur Agendo
He really did hang up on our 9 in a row captain, , the youth of today

150 ANNIVERSARY TREK

DAY 10 - THE FINALE

LARKHALL to Ibrox STADIUM
17 miles

I woke up this morning still absolute buzzing from my chat with Richard Gough - utterly surreal.

I switched on my phone and another video message, this time from The Magnificent Marvin Andrews, who wished me luck and told me to 'keep believing'

Up and ready, let's get this done

At 8am I was dropped off at the Larkhall boundary sign where I finished the day before at it was 'Game On'.

I had company the whole way from start to finish and it was amazing to have such support for my final day.

From the Band Members in Larkhall,
The members from the RSC in Hamilton,
the happiest taxi driver ever
an old school friend and a new friend -
(I even had James and Laura driving down through every town to meet me.)

The day flew by with loads of people to talk too.

We arrived in Rutherglen at the perfect moment as the Band Parade was just coming down the Main Street,

We took a quick stop to show our support for the Bands then we were off again for the home stretch

We weren't too far from Ibrox now, and just at Paisley Road Toll I spy w Tom Clark and Murray Roxburgh of the RSEA, just relaxing at the side of the road.
They ushered me into the Viceroy to get a photo taken under the portrait of Tom Vallance.
But it was a set up, my Soldiering skills let me down.

In I walked and on the bar the lovely Elaine Derrick (Land Lady) had poured me a congratulatory and delicious pint of Ice Cold Tennents,

I looked round the Bar and standing in the corner was Leslie's Own Broxi Bear, I couldn't believe it.

I turned my head and there was my Girlfriend Fiona as well who had driven up from North Yorkshire to see me finish my Journey

It was a wonderful surprise!

A few wee photos then I made the pint disappear and off we marched for the final 2 miles to Ibrox.

I hobbled up the street and around the corner and my Brother, Robert, and the bestest family friends ever were waiting for me... Again another shock.

The end was in sight and the squad of us, Leslie's Own Broxi Bear, Fiona, Robert, Chip, Chuck and wee Emma, Mark, Emily, Gibbo, Reaney, Tom and Murray all marched up towards the front door of Ibrox where I saw my Father was waiting.

Surrounded with amazing support the whole day I was finished as I crossed a union Jack ribbon finishing line.

210 gruelling mile completed.

We obviously had a photoshoot outside Ibrox and amazingly by chance, Ronald De Boer arrived with his family, we had to grab hold of him for momento photos.
Dank u Wel Ronald
What a Legend
What an special and emotional finish!

Epilogue

We were invited to Kirkintilloch RSC for an RSEA dinner that night
However, no one had told us about the dress code, there I am sat with a bright Orange Rangers training top and a pair of size 13 flip flops (I'm a size 9!
It will be a few days before I am back in normal footwear.)

What a phenomenal night, with great speakers and an amazing singer!

We were sat at a table with Jodie Pollock whom I recognised straight away but couldn't place where from until she got up to entertain us and then the penny dropped, what an amazing night, my sides were sore laughing at Johnny Gahagan, he is absolutely insane.

Time to Head back to our hotel
After saying good night to a Barca 72 legend, Alex 'Doddie' MacDonald

My journey comes to an end.

Last night, feeling absolutely exhausted, I checked my Justgiving page one last time before I closed my eyes and was amazed to see that including the GiftAid the total was now over £8,100!
This has been a rollercoaster ride of emotions and what an achievement I feel like I have accomplished for the charity.

Thank you each and every one of you who have donated so generously to show your support, who have wished me kind words on my journey in times where I was struggling,

Thanks to for James and Laura who looked after me and let me live in their home for 2 days

Thanks to Scott Arfield, Marco Negri, Saint Phnx, Gordon Smith, Richard Gough, Marvin Andrews, Ronald De BOER, David Edgar and Alex Macdonald for their kind words and best Wishes

And thanks to the Rangers support and the RSEA for simply believing in me to complete my Journey.

thank you all

MARTIN J
Spectemur Agendo

Last edited:
Back