Some South American Players on the Move

Dr G,

Why has Lucus Pratto never played in Europe?

I was really impressed with him over the two CL games against Boca.

He's played briefly in Europe with Lyn (Norway) and Genoa. I don't think either spell was particularly successful.

Purely supposition on my part: I think he was late developer. He's always claimed at the start of his career he was badly treated by Boca and I think it took him a bit of time to recover from this. It wasn't really until he was at Velez (mid twenties) that he seemed settled and found a way to play that suited him - due to his physicallity he was seen as a target man, but that isn't his game. He is more of a forward, second striker. That being the case I think there were better options at a better price - by the time European clubs would be looking at him again there was no real value in spending over £10m on a player in his late twenties with an ok goalscoring record.

Why are Boca currently minted and River far more circumspect in the market? I thought River were now well run?!

Why are Boca currently minted and River far more circumspect in the market? I thought River were now well run?!

Don't really follow the finances (not that easy to do from the outside) but I think River were heavily in debt.

Boca have made a lot in the transfer market even though they have been signing players: Nandez for $15m, Benedetto going for $19m (approx), Barrios left for about $15m earlier in the year etc........

Not really.

Dundee Utd have just signed this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrián_Sporle
He hold dual nationality though but am I right in saying there quite a lot of south American players that hold dual nationality? It's a market I'd like to see us use even the countries that are not so obvious like Peru Venezuela Paraguay ect. Enjoy reading your posts mate. You should make a list up and email it to Mark Allen you seem pretty clued up

He hold dual nationality though but am I right in saying there quite a lot of south American players that hold dual nationality? It's a market I'd like to see us use even the countries that are not so obvious like Peru Venezuela Paraguay ect. Enjoy reading your posts mate. You should make a list up and email it to Mark Allen you seem pretty clued up

Thank you.

A lot of South Americans do have access to a European passport, but even for those who don't getting a work permit for Scottish football shouldn't be too hard - different for England.

Whilst I would love to see us look in this market I can understand why we aren't, at the moment. Always happy to help the club - I've spoken to them previously.

Don't really follow the finances (not that easy to do from the outside) but I think River were heavily in debt.

Presumably still the legacy of José María Aguilar - selling off sponsorship cheaply in return for one-time upfront payments, the club owning small percentages of players' transfer rights and subsequent transfer fees going "missing". This impacted squad which led to relegation which reduced income etc.

When Passarella took over in 2009, he was going to get to the root of Aguilar's dealings. Alas, earlier this year Passarella was in court charged with fraud during his 4 years at River. Proceedings were brought by current President D’Onofrio.

D’Onofrio appears to know what he's doing. The big issue is a new stadium, though.

Presumably still the legacy of José María Aguilar - selling off sponsorship cheaply in return for one-time upfront payments, the club owning small percentages of players' transfer rights and subsequent transfer fees going "missing". This impacted squad which led to relegation which reduced income etc.

When Passarella took over in 2009, he was going to get to the root of Aguilar's dealings. Alas, earlier this year Passarella was in court charged with fraud during his 4 years at River. Proceedings were brought by current President D’Onofrio.

D’Onofrio appears to know what he's doing. The big issue is a new stadium, though.

Forgot all about the Passarella charges - they were brought ages ago. For all his brilliance as a player he is hated by the River fans.

Gabriel Jesus scoring reminded me of Gabriel Barbosa...Gabigol. Career derailed after Inter move. Just noticed he's still only 22 and is on fire for Flamengo...goal a game this season in Brazil.

So hyped, let's hope he can find form and goals.

Interesting that a number of young South Americans are seeing the MLS as a viable career option. Is that the improvement in America, the decline of SA players... or a bit of both?

Back