Something isn’t right with our squad.

alex wright

We’re not playing well, these things happen.

But there are a few things that trouble me.

There were a couple of %^*& ups in defence today and McGregor didn’t go mental once.

Motherwell wasted time from the first minute, especially their keeper, and not one of our players remonstrated with an official, they just accepted it or couldn’t have cared less.

Not one player on the park showed any semblance of urgency, trying to rally their teammates and players.

Players were niggling at each other, sometimes when the ball was still in play.

I can’t help feeling that something isn’t right and we need to sort it quickly.

The fuk up from Goldson at McGregor for a corner, I thought he left that to goldson to go mental at Tav.

We need to get the players into the correct mentality again, I get we need to make changes at times, but if McGregor is fit, he needs to start most games.

Maybe lockdown helped them focus on football and nothing else.

The management team need to do more as well. It was obvious Wright was right out the game but no change till 13 minutes to go.

We have no consistency at the moment, we need to work out to get a consistent team out. We do fall into bad ways like in the second half, at one point we had sakala and roofe all over the place with wright behind and it worked, second half, it went to shit.

When we don’t win, people always see things in a certain way or scenario to try and find a reason

We were good today for 60mins, couldn’t score a second and then lost our way

The problem is players are off form and haven’t hit their stride yet - that’s the reason
We’ve not been good all season, a guy who always goes mental at the slightest drop in standards suddenly doesn’t show anything at a serious %^*& up has me worried.

We are probably at the end of a cycle and had to refresh, the problem was COVID-19 messed up the whole transfer market - there were literally no deals being done outside the “super clubs”.

I’m sure we probably were looking to move one or two players on, but we had no suitors due to Covid, and players, guided by their agents, are happy to run down contacts to get more money elsewhere.

Last edited:
The fuk up from Goldson at McGregor for a corner, I thought he left that to goldson to go mental at Tav.

We need to get the players into the correct mentality again, I get we need to make changes at times, but if McGregor is fit, he needs to start most games.

Maybe lockdown helped them focus on football and nothing else.

The management team need to do more as well. It was obvious Wright was right out the game but no change till 13 minutes to go.

We have no consistency at the moment, we need to work out to get a consistent team out. We do fall into bad ways like in the second half, at one point we had sakala and roofe all over the place with wright behind and it worked, second half, it went to shit.
The only way we were going to concede today was going to be self inflicted,after halftime we gave them plenty of encouragement

Missing

Kent, Hagi, Morelos,

Kamara, Davis, Aribo not hitting form

A few days players recovering from injury and fitness issues which we will resolve.
Missing - you forgot Helander. His absence led to Simpson being in the team and that (IMO) was why we got 1 point, rather than 3.

Missing - you forgot Helander. His absence led to Simpson being in the team and that (IMO) was why we got 1 point, rather than 3.
I’m not sure that’s true TBH. It may have been a factor but we’ve been poor all season, admittedly it’s only September, and it doesn’t explain the apparent lethargy.

I think any suggestions that this squad isn't committed or doesn't work their hardest to win games is very wide of the mark.

Last season was an exception, as close to perfect as we'll see from a Rangers team in our lifetimes in terms of league performance. Dropping more points this season is very, very likely to the point of certain.

If all these problems exist and we're top as it stands already 4 points clear of that lot, that's a positive. There were similar reactions in the moment when we drew 0-0 with Livingston or 2-2 with Hibs last season and now no one could care less about those games.

I’m
I think any suggestions that this squad isn't committed or doesn't work their hardest to win games is very wide of the mark.

Last season was an exception, as close to perfect as we'll see from a Rangers team in our lifetimes in terms of league performance. Dropping more points this season is very, very likely to the point of certain.

If all these problems exist and we're top as it stands already 4 points clear of that lot, that's a positive. There were similar reactions in the moment when we drew 0-0 with Livingston or 2-2 with Hibs last season and now no one could care less about those games.
I’ve been with the squad since Gerrard took over. Not once did I question their commitment when they didn’t win, but can you honestly say that what I’ve posted in the OP is wrong?

I’m

I’ve been with the squad since Gerrard took over. Not once did I question their commitment when they didn’t win, but can you honestly say that what I’ve posted in the OP is wrong?

I think it is, yes.

Time will tell either way.

My opinion - we've started slowly, it's as much down to inconsistency in terms of team selections, forced by injury and suspension, as anything else, but we're still in a very strong place overall.

There was plenty of urgency shown by the team in the game. Too much at times, in fact, given the daft fouls we gave away trying to chase the win. We worked hard and just didn't have the moments of quality and luck on the day. I don't believe this game was reflective of the season so far either, as it was a better performance than most other games for 60 minutes.

I don't see the evidence for something being wrong among the squad. I think that's a stretch. There's a lack of form right now, absolutely, but going beyond that just doesn't stack up with what we've seen this season so far.

It’s hard to say really. I’m not yet ready to say there are any things like dressing room issues. I’m still of the thinking that it’s was a more disjointed summer break/preseason compared to last year, with the Euro’s etc, all the squad will have been at different stages of fitness etc. Pair that with the fact we haven’t been able to field a consistent starting XI due to injuries, Covid and suspensions.

What I will say though is that regardless of our performances I think the core of our squad is at the end of cycle due to players ageing and or wanting moves etc, we need a freshen up in the summer even if we win the league.

Right now though, We 100% need to improve on the pitch, that is a fact that no one can deny.

It’s glaringly obvious what’s wrong with the team,no Ryan jack the midfield is just not the same without him,to make it worse his replacement was not used yesterday either?

McGregor and Davis are both at the end of their careers. It should be the last season for both of them and we need to be managing their game time, in Davis' case far better than we are. Add the Goldson contract situation. You can also add the lack of form from Kamara. Lundstram still looks off the level we need him to be at. Kent has started the season poorly. Morelos hasn't exactly been in lethal form.

We've seen a few of our players struggle with post christmas collapses in previous seasons. Right now we just havent got going at all. I think a few of them lack the mentality for the expectation levels at Rangers Winning the title isnt enough - theres an expectation that we should win the title every year. You don't get time to enjoy success at Rangers and the first day of the new season essentially wipes last year's slate clean. There's no credit to carry over. I'd also suggest that there was talk on here pre-season that the league was likely to be stronger this year. Perhaps we really are seeing what happens when we're not playing well and every other team is offering a bit more?

The squad just don't look focused. Maybe there's a bit of lethargy creeping in? Maybe a few of them think that they've won a title now and that they should have earned a move down south on the back of it? Morelos went to the Copa America but would basically have been better staying at home - is he again starting to think that it's time he moved on? The big difference between this summer and last is the lack of public interest from Lille, although Porto were making some noises.

Whatever it is, we're not the same team we were last season despite largely being exactly the same team as last year.

Untrue, as much as Simpson didn’t have a good game yesterday, the goal was not his fault

We’re yet to get ourselves into gear so far, I think we’d all expect 6 wins out of 6 so far this season coming off the back of last, but we’re improving as the 1st half showed. As well as the front 3 played they’re was a lack of sharpness, even from the midfield. Had Morelos started I think we’d have got a 2nd in the 1st half or the penalty is noticed. All ifs and but, we’re still sitting top and we’re improving and still got key players to come in. I think we need to stop messing about with the back two now Helander is out. Goldson and Balogun should be the 2 for now.

One of our members mentioned that yesterday - where are our players and captain when the opposition are wasting time? Head down, trudging off somewhere. There was a lack of fight and desire yesterday than reminded me of 18/19.

Untrue, as much as Simpson didn’t have a good game yesterday, the goal was not his fault
Apart from his pathetic positioning, not recognising the danger/need to shift across and then not stopping the guy at the edge of the box?

Aside from that, it wasn’t his fault

Back