Something isn’t right with our squad.

The team played very well last season under pressure. We had another great run in Europe, records were broken and title 55 was in the bag.

All that takes it's toll, both physically and mentally. It's a big ask to keep players focussed and performing at the highest level.

Some players have been carrying injuries and little niggles, some players are just older than they were last season. Covid has been a real negative for a number of reasons.

International fixtures have been a burden on some. Others are maybe thinking they are missing out on these games, especially our English players.

The team clearly aren't playing at their best, and some individuals are looking poorer than others.

There has been a lack of continuity from game to game, issues that are outwith the control of the backroom staff.

But,

we are top of the league, we are competing in the Europa Cup groups again and showing some flashes of brilliance, albeit inconsistently.

Things will get better. :)

I agree with the OP - can’t put my finger on what it is but something is missing or just not right.

The urgency is gone, the change from chasing for the title to defending it seems to have flat-footed some of our players.

If we can’t sell any players then we can’t afford to bring in someone to improve the side… and no serious offers for our players over the summer is a wee bit of a concern in that sense.

Feels like this season is going to be a bit of a struggle, I think we’ve got more than enough quality to challenge strongly for the title but there’s an energy missing.

I agree.

There is just an aire of sluggishness & everything feels lacklustre. Almost like we are going through the motions. You'd maybe expect that feeling nearing the end of a tough campaign but we are right at the start of the season.

Part of me wonders if its a combination of the huge effort of last season & all the glory that came with it as well as the failure to reach the champions league which has hit squad morale & mentality.

The midfield 3 is the bit which naturally gets the most of my attention & it would make a heck of a difference to have some really quality to come in there, freshen things up & show hunger. Unfortunately we've not got that option

I think last season set up really high standards.
We always want more but right now, there is a huge dip of form. I hope Gerrard and his backroom will find a way to make this team good again because right now, it worries me.

I don't have a clue if Goldson's contract situation is affecting him and his teammates but there is definitely something going wrong.

Untrue, as much as Simpson didn’t have a good game yesterday, the goal was not his fault
Have you watched it ? He left a huge gap between himself and Goldson and when he woke up pulled out the tackle as presumably wasn't confident enough to take the ball and not the man. Barisic wasn't close enough either when it mattered. Simpson looked very uncomfortable throughout.

It was though
How was it?
Have you watched it ? He left a huge gap between himself and Goldson and when he woke up pulled out the tackle as presumably wasn't confident enough to take the ball and not the man. Barisic wasn't close enough either when it mattered. Simpson looked very uncomfortable throughout.
of course I’ve watched it, he could have done better with the tackle no doubt about that and as you say Barasic could have done better as could tav who got turned too easily on the touchline. The point being it wasn’t just Simpsons fault at the goal

We’ve had pretty much the same team for 3 seasons. Save for Helander and Roofe. Non of the squad players have come in and nailed a starting slot. That’s the issue IMO. We’re looking at a big overhaul next season which is poor management from Gerrard/Wilson/the board.

He was the epitome of a coward. Could have and should have attempted a tackle/block but all but turned his back to avoid getting hurt.
He pulled out because he knew he wasn’t getting there and a penalty was likely mate.

McCann called it right on RTV. Tav beaten too easily, Goldson out of position, Simpson out of position, Barisic out of position (there’s a theme there) and midfield not tracking back - or out of position if you like. It was a communal mess.

The writing was on the wall for Rodgers at Celtic when he wasn’t given the funds in his final season when he knew we were about to challenge.

They sold Dembele and Armstrong from under him last minute forcing them to pay £9million for Eduoard when they could have got him for £4million in the winter transfer window as agreed.

Rodgers came to Ibrox and never played his strongest team, we beat them to go joint top. Rodgers had made his point but was still for the off.

Gerrard was given roughly £10million, £12million, £14million the 3 previous seasons, 0 this season.

We have players not signing new deals, others must be thinking are they worth twice what I am getting. We have let players go that have offered more than some we are playing just now.

He pulled out because he knew he wasn’t getting there and a penalty was likely mate.

McCann called it right on RTV. Tav beaten too easily, Goldson out of position, Simpson out of position, Barisic out of position (there’s a theme there) and midfield not tracking back - or out of position if you like. It was a communal mess.

I was at the game so never seen RTV however I have been posting the same on here.

in the minutes leading up to the goal we were 3 on 2 going through on their goal, Davis made a complete @rse of it. From the next passage of play Davis played a terrible back pass to McGregor who put it straight out of play, from that restart the ball ended back at Kelly who floated the ball down the wing to start the move for their goal. It was Davis‘s man that Simpson was forced to come across out of position to pick up, his man was originally the goal scorer.

You shouldn’t need to have both your right and left sided centre halfs having to come across to the right back’s area because he has gone awol and the midfield are ball watching.

When we don’t win, people always see things in a certain way or scenario to try and find a reason

We were good today for 60mins, couldn’t score a second and then lost our way

The problem is players are off form and haven’t hit their stride yet - that’s the reason
Have to agree with you, those 60mins I saw our team willing to take on shots which is where we have been lacking this season. We ran the ball into the box more often to mix things up. There were more shots on target than in any game this season. Yes we got sloppy after 60mins which cost us two points but if we had gone two up before half time I truly believe it would have led to more.

I seen the Arfield goal at the Madrigal posted by Rangers today, the elation of Arfield, Laff, Halliday and big Connor coming in screaming don't see that same passion being replicated just yet ! Do we have that same togetherness? You'd fucking hope so after the run they went on last season and the ride they've took us on for the past 3 years tbf the elation with the filth win shows it is there, the passion, belief, ability is all there...just not for 90 minutes (at the moment)

Have to agree with you, those 60mins I saw our team willing to take on shots which is where we have been lacking this season. We ran the ball into the box more often to mix things up. There were more shots on target than in any game this season. Yes we got sloppy after 60mins which cost us two points but if we had gone two up before half time I truly believe it would have led to more.
Played worse this season and won more comfortably

I think last season set up really high standards.
We always want more but right now, there is a huge dip of form. I hope Gerrard and his backroom will find a way to make this team good again because right now, it worries me.

I don't have a clue if Goldson's contract situation is affecting him and his teammates but there is definitely something going wrong.
Goldson had a good game yesterday so I doubt it was that

Gerrard spends more time at Anfield/Liverpool than Glasgow cant help much

Whole thing seems less professional and less focussed this year than last
Married man with children, spending time at home with his wife and kids after working a 12 hour shift. Shocker isn't it :))

The issue is they didn’t care today.

The Goldson/Tav/Mcgregor incident would have had McGregor frothing last season.
Not sure on that mate. However we are overly reliant on Davis and McGregor both surely at the end of their time with us indeed this might be a season too far. Then Goldson he's shown zero signs of extending his stay here and that ended badly for my 'hero' Laudrup. If he's not signing we need to sell him in January if we car for what ever we can get. I'm only too well aware he is by miles our best defender but he cannot dictate to the club.
SG's answer to MD's question on summer recruitment spoke volumes the man clearly didn't get the players he wanted. In my view we have up graded our squad players but not improved our first team had we done so we'd possibly have been playing Chelsea, Zenit and Juve. Clearly the board didn't want to put more cash in which is their right but in football in the 21st century you have to continue to invest in players. Very difficult conundrum.

I think there's been an 'attitude', motivation & determination shortfall for a while now

It would be unrealistic to expect last years unbeaten run to continue for ever
But the poorer results we've had lately - have all been down to our own mistakes & lack of determination to come back from these mistakes - IMO

We are not scoring and cant keep a clean sheet and thats a bad combination.
Maybe that is it, a lot of focus on us not scoring and taking games out of sight. When maybe it was our clean sheets, or lack of them that is highlighting an issue we didn't have last season.
No such thing as a good goal only bad defending isn't strictly true, but 1 solitary goal and a clean sheet bringing you 3 points every time is true

Careful op or you’ll be called a panty wetter.

The reality is we’ve played 12? competitive games? And we’ve played well in 1 - the league cup.

Careful op or you’ll be called a panty wetter.

The reality is we’ve played 12? competitive games? And we’ve played well in 1 - the league cup.

Against the team rooted to the bottom of the championship with 2 points out of a possible 15 !

It’s glaringly obvious what’s wrong with the team,no Ryan jack the midfield is just not the same without him,to make it worse his replacement was not used yesterday either?
I've said this to my mates for the last few games. It is unfortunate with the long term injury, but a fit Ryan Jack in midfield provides more urgency to pass the ball forward much quicker and that is what we are sorely lacking at the moment and have been for quite some time. In my opinion, we haven't been that great in that department since he went out the team. We are so laboured in midfield and have been on numerous occasions towards the end of last season and the start of this season. I just don't see anybody that we have fit at the moment, that can give us that energy and drive, with the possible exception of Hagi.

We are probably at the end of a cycle and had to refresh, the problem was COVID-19 messed up the whole transfer market - there were literally no deals being done outside the “super clubs”.

I’m sure we probably were looking to move one or two players on, but we had no suitors due to Covid, and players, guided by their agents, are happy to run down contacts to get more money elsewhere.
That's what it feels like to me.

I reckon we were looking to sell Kamara, Goldson and Morelos.

Goldson would look as though he will be away for nothing in the summer and Kamara will have to be sold for a reduced fee as well before he goes for nothing.

We are probably at the end of a cycle and had to refresh, the problem was COVID-19 messed up the whole transfer market - there were literally no deals being done outside the “super clubs”.

I’m sure we probably were looking to move one or two players on, but we had no suitors due to Covid, and players, guided by their agents, are happy to run down contacts to get more money elsewhere.
100% this. We expected or hoped to move a few on for big money and reinvest to freshen it all up.

We should be coasting at home to SPFL jobbers but end up trying to chase a goal for a win.

What do we do ? make the changes far too late and fling on 3 players not fully match fit.

Arfield, only action previous 4 weeks was an 89th minute sub appearance v Celtic.

Bacuna, 0 minutes competitive action this season.

Morelos, injured Thursday night clearly not fit (could be argued hasn’t been yet this season)

For a squad of our size considering the chopping and changing we do week in week out with the starting eleven, yesterday was a shambles.

Our approach to substitutions has always been very negative and reactional , going back to only 3 subs this season will make us worse.

For all this sports science we use we run players into the ground and don’t have players fit to come in.

The writing was on the wall for Rodgers at Celtic when he wasn’t given the funds in his final season when he knew we were about to challenge.

They sold Dembele and Armstrong from under him last minute forcing them to pay £9million for Eduoard when they could have got him for £4million in the winter transfer window as agreed.

Rodgers came to Ibrox and never played his strongest team, we beat them to go joint top. Rodgers had made his point but was still for the off.

Gerrard was given roughly £10million, £12million, £14million the 3 previous seasons, 0 this season.

We have players not signing new deals, others must be thinking are they worth twice what I am getting. We have let players go that have offered more than some we are playing just now.

Whilst it doesn't completely negate your point. To say Gerrard has been given £0 to spend in the summer is wrong. The free transfers will have come with substantial signing on fees, and the additional wages - whilst not selling any of our existing higher earners.

Whilst it won't have been 14m, the signing on fees/additional wages for Lundstram/Sakala/Bacuna could have been spent on a transfer fee, but Gerrard/Wilson have clearly preferred those free agents.

Just think it is the natural decline in hunger you see the season after a team has become successful. Really good teams still find a way to motivate themselves

The amount of chance we missed yesterday was a worry. I said it at half time. This is going to end 1.1 if we don't come out second half and put these chances away. What is it with so many touches in the box? Team seriously lacking leaders willing to grab the game by the balls and go for it

Roofe got away with it yesterday as well.

Morelos would have been slaughtered for missing those chances.

We’ve had pretty much the same team for 3 seasons. Save for Helander and Roofe. Non of the squad players have come in and nailed a starting slot. That’s the issue IMO. We’re looking at a big overhaul next season which is poor management from Gerrard/Wilson/the board.

One of the top gaffers has a quote about this that I saw a few years ago.. think it was Pep actually.. about the end of cycles with players and that teams need refreshing every 3 years even if they're successful, just to keep things ticking over.

This current Rangers team look like the definition of that point. Personally I'm not giving up on anything but it's been a sluggish start by any expectations.

I do think there is some scope to freshen things up a bit with what we have. Fashion will get there. Bassey and Wright have looked bright when they've come in this season. There's Patterson waiting in the wings, and Bacuna and Lundstram in midfield - the latter in particular looks to be turning things around a bit after a bad start. Not 100% ideal or a perfect solution to the point, but we can mix things up a little compared to what we have been so far.

Yip. We supposedly have a model involving clever scouting, picking up players for low fees, getting the benefit on the pitch from them and selling on at profit to fund a cycle. The board front-loaded investment to win the title and build a squad to start the above cycle.

That's the idea, is it not? Except our model doesn't seem to bear much fruit in the sense we aren't making much progress in selling the high value players (which some may not really want us to do in a footballing sense) and we're seeing their contracts dwindle away so they could be at risk of leaving on a free/minimal fee.

The club clearly can't just keep throwing money at this as we are seeing increasing losses.

I'm not convinced it's working and if our transfer windows see us release decent players and bring in low calibre replacements, it'll only get worse.

Must say that I'm a tad concerned that we have a nice philosophy on paper, but we're not executing it anything close to how it needs to be.

Last edited:
Goals win games, yesterday we performed well for the first half and scored once. I'd rather we took our chances than play well to be honest. Playing well and not scoring our chances will bite us especially on the road.

I get the feeling that too many of our squad are going through the motions and resting on the laurels of last season.

Winning #55 was amazing but the players must understand that at a club like ours only the current campaign matters.

Malmo are clearly a good side but we didn’t turn up in the CL qualifiers and the players ended up costing the club tens of millions of pounds. Not good enough.

We may be 4 points clear of the scum but it could, and should, be 9 points. Losing to Dundee Utd and then throwing away a lead at home to Motherwell? Not good enough.

We are a match at Ibrox and then two matches at Hampden away from lifting the League Cup. Turn up for these matches and the silverware is ours. Fail to lift the trophy and that’s on our players.

When we play our A game, no other Scottish side can get near us.

Time for them to prove they aren’t one season wonders.

Goals win games, yesterday we performed well for the first half and scored once. I'd rather we took our chances than play well to be honest. Playing well and not scoring our chances will bite us especially on the road.

We have played 6 games in the league,

Us 103 total attempts, 36 on target, 11 goals

Opposition 40 total attempts, 12 on target, 5 goals

in the 5 European games

Us 67 total attempts, 17 on target 3 goals

Opposition 22 total attempts, 9 on target, 6 goals.

The fuk up from Goldson at McGregor for a corner, I thought he left that to goldson to go mental at Tav.

We need to get the players into the correct mentality again, I get we need to make changes at times, but if McGregor is fit, he needs to start most games.

Maybe lockdown helped them focus on football and nothing else.

The management team need to do more as well. It was obvious Wright was right out the game but no change till 13 minutes to go.

We have no consistency at the moment, we need to work out to get a consistent team out. We do fall into bad ways like in the second half, at one point we had sakala and roofe all over the place with wright behind and it worked, second half, it went to shit.
I will get pelters for this but Tav is not Captain material for a club like ours he is prone to many errors in defence and lacking in confidence at times, sure he scored a tremendous goal that got us 3 points at St Johnstone but these are occurring few and far between now and I don't think either Goldson or McGregor are particularly comfy with him, but Stevie G can't see past him and he will continue as first choice with my full support as a bear but I think many a club with a full back with the skill that Patterson has would have him as first team pick.

We’re not playing well, these things happen.

But there are a few things that trouble me.

There were a couple of %^*& ups in defence today and McGregor didn’t go mental once.

Motherwell wasted time from the first minute, especially their keeper, and not one of our players remonstrated with an official, they just accepted it or couldn’t have cared less.

Not one player on the park showed any semblance of urgency, trying to rally their teammates and players.

Players were niggling at each other, sometimes when the ball was still in play.

I can’t help feeling that something isn’t right and we need to sort it quickly.

I felt the same at the Malmö game. After half time then the Malmö goal our players stood looking at the ground with their hands on their hips. Going by their body language they looked defeated. There was no one trying to lift it

when Robby McCrorie got kicked in the head by the aleskert player I would have expected a few of our players to rush in and defend our young goalkeeper. No one did.

there seems to be a lack of fight and togetherness

I will get pelters for this but Tav is not Captain material for a club like ours he is prone to many errors in defence and lacking in confidence at times, sure he scored a tremendous goal that got us 3 points at St Johnstone but these are occurring few and far between now and I don't think either Goldson or McGregor are particularly comfy with him, but Stevie G can't see past him and he will continue as first choice with my full support as a bear but I think many a club with a full back with the skill that Patterson has would have him as first team pick.
Patterson is that great he couldn’t stand out against Dunfermline. Listen Patterson is decent at this point but he’s no where near tav in terms of all round ability. Patterson is a worse passer and crosser of the ball. He’s also quite weak in the air for someone his height(something Dunfermline took advantage of).

To say that Goldson isn’t comfortable with tav either is silly considering that they both confirmed in the relentle55 documentary that they have a great relationship on the park. Tav had shown that he will lead from the front time and time again, st Johnstone was just another example of that. That’s what you want your captain to do. Since he’s not captain material in your eyes, who should replace him?

I couldn’t remember what it was for but he was still having a go at him minutes after it happened
It was for Tav passing the ball back to him which was short and not near him, it's not the first time in recent games he has been laying into Tav and with good reason to many centre have had to pay the price for Tav's defensive errors, things are not right between him and Goldson and Tav is not strong enough to stand up for him self which is not Captain material, he should giving Goldson as much as he gets, after all he is the captain of our team.

Back