Souness Fancies Rangers Boardroom Role

Whether it happens or not remains to be seen, but one things for sure, he would suffer no nonsense from the media, the SPL or the SFA. As well as managing the team and playing for us, he seemed to have not too much trouble managing that lot before.

Could be talking pesh but are Rangers about to end the dignified/weak stuff and speak out about the level of corruption and bias in refereeing that you wont see anywhere in world sport ?

If i was a ref id be starting to worry as while the media will do their very best to support corrupt officials(ones cheating us and helping tims) theres no way they can continue to ignore it... dont think Souness would accept it and im sure Gerrard wants to deal the problem but has probably had very little support from the board, so far

If Souness thought that he and Rangers were treated badly by the SFA when he was here as a Manager, then its got worse, much worse, ever since. He's too old to take on these cheats at the SPFL and SFA.

As a figure head - you couldn't ask for better than GS (or maybe Wattie)

In terms of experience of - the club, Scottish football, the biased natue of the so-called authorities & hypocrisy of the media - then GS ticks all the right boxes

As for an exact role & what abilities GS has to fulfil that role - then I'm struggling to figure it out

The board certainly does need someone with a bit of a 'presence' - someone with enough stature befitting our great club & Souness would bring more respect from many sources that we simply don't have at the moment imo

I would welcome Souness back in some form of spokesman role,but remember he jumped ship as soon as Liverpool came calling,yet he is treated as a hero.I don't carry grudges around so if it benefits the Club I am happy.
Then you have the likes of Naismith who gets pilloried for not tupeing over to Charles Greens company.I don't see the difference they both did what they thought was right for them at the time.
The problem wasn’t Naismith not tupeing over - we forgave the likes of Davis for that - it was his statements in the media.

Mhedia hounded GS the last time he was here, no reason to think the vermin wouldnt take up from where they left off, he said it played a part in him leaving the last time.

He's a footballing man, the Chairman needs to have a business head too and can't see how he fits that bill?
Just about to post something similar. There are 100's of better suited people who are also Rangers fans but have business acumen.

As a director on the board, absolutely, as chairman, no. We need a chairman with the business nous and background to turn heads. Souness is undoubtedly a football icon, but he has no experience running a boardroom and in particular one in our toxic wee world.

A truly world class player, an entertaining pundit, the guy who made my life cheerful again, and a manager who achieved nothing of real note after he walked out on Rangers 30 years ago. Nostalgia is wonderful but I have absolutely no idea how that makes you the right guy for the Rangers board! Not a single qualification that is needed to be on any board, yet about 85% of people on this thread think it’s a great idea. Baffling to me. Let’s leave the happy memories where they are.

From the Record quoting David Tanner -

Former Rangers manager Graeme Souness would be open to an Ibrox return in an "advisory" role.

That's the view of long-time TV commentator David Tanner who hosted an evening with the legendary Scottish football star last month.

It comes after Douglas Park was announced as the club's new interim chairman after the departure of Dave King on Friday evening.

The South African-based businessman concedes he’s leaving Rangers at a time of desperate need in a bid to save his wider business interests amid the Coronavirus pandemic.

And Tanner has mooted Sky Sports regular Souness as a potential long-term successor for King at Ibrox.

He said: "I interviewed Graeme Souness at an event this month.
"When I asked if he’d return to Ibrox, he gave a lot of thought and said he’d fancy an advisory board-type role.

"Would fans like him as chairman?"

Souness is an Ibrox icon after spending five years as player-manager between 1986 and 1991 - winning seven trophies in the process but hasn't been involved at club level since departing Newcastle 14 years ago.
Sounness back, season voided, total implosion. That would make me a very happy man. Anyone who knows me knows how I have longed for the return of that magnificent bastard. Him as Chairman and oir new PR chief. GIRFUY

I'm not sure what role he would take up. He can't interfere with the playing side unless you want SG to step aside. I don't think he has the necessary attributes to be a current board member as I think we need finance more than anything else. It would be almost impossible for anyone to go head to head with lawell whilst we have the current media here in scotland. It's a no from me unless it's in an ambassadorial role.

Souness is a legend and a very astute man . Our club needs men of this ilk.
Only an idiot would think this would be a bad idea . If indeed it is true he fancies it .

Recruiting a strong character should never be overlooked, someone to stand up and go face to face with those spouting lies and innuendo.
Sign on the dotted line Graham.

I'd love to see Souness step in and address some of the crap that's been fired at us. This is what we could do with.

Someone had a thread on him from a night out or something or he was part of it. He was asked if he’d go back to management or football and he said no management but watch this space in regard to Rangers. It was something like that. Maybe the OP of that will see this and correct me. Personally a good move.
I was at the night in Belfast that the daily rag is talking about and indeed that is what he said. Think it was another night you might have heard about I'm sure I read it on hear before I went to the Belfast do.

We need a street smart brawler of a managing director first and foremost, that should be a priority.

Much as I like Souness I’m not sure what he would bring to the boardroom at present, we need people who put more in than what they get out of it. I’d like Souness back in some capacity and if he brings something to the table that we don’t have at the moment, great.

How would that situation work out with SG regarding the playing side, I couldn't see him being comfortable with Souness doing the HT talk.

I'm not sure what role he would take up. He can't interfere with the playing side unless you want SG to step aside. I don't think he has the necessary attributes to be a current board member as I think we need finance more than anything else. It would be almost impossible for anyone to go head to head with lawell whilst we have the current media here in scotland. It's a no from me unless it's in an ambassadorial role.

That's what I'm thinking. I absolutely love the guy but let's not give him a job just for the sake of it.

Back