Southgate on Sunday

Tough one.

Strange game, wind howling at 50mph.

1st goal was a freak.

Some great saves.

3rd was unlucky.

Probably needs a second look again, maybe hearts semi or the next OF game to finally judge him.

Hard for Southgate, he has a few keepers in England to pick but outwith Pickford he's struggling.

Pickford 1st choice
James Trafford up and coming
Matt Turner is okay (at best)
Jason Steel again okay
Nick Pope would be 2nd choice if playing
Aaron Ramsdale is MIA for Arsenal.

He could do worse than take Butland as he's palyong more regular than the rest in the bunch above, played in Europe and doing well for a top club.
The American Matt Turner?!

With Trippier potentially struggling for fitness, could he be looking at Tav for a wildcard call up?

He had 1 basic save and 1 great save.

Should have done better at the third.

He has been brilliant for us but his form has dipped a bit since being linked with an England recall.
Exactly this. No idea why people keep saying he made several great saves to keep us in the game. He made 1 top class save and the rest were bog standard.

People just won't accept him getting any ounce of critisicm even though he looked very shaky with the ball at his feet, nearly got caught on the ball twice when pressed, fumbled at his near post and nearly gifted it to Furuhashi and should have saved the 3rd goal with his feet but for some reason attempted to dive down onto it.

Butland has been outstanding this season but it's not wrong to say his form has dipped in recent weeks.

Great saves by Butland to keep us in it but I do get the fear when he has the ball at his feet. Got closed down by Kyogo in tye first half probably should have done better at the 3rd goal to.

The third goal, he tries to get down to it when it is far too close to do so, he literally just needs to stand up and stick his foot out and block it.

Also, I am a big fan of SJB, but he is terrible at penalties. Gives the penalty taker far too much notice which way he is going.

The third goal, he tries to get down to it when it is far too close to do so, he literally just needs to stand up and stick his foot out and block it.

Also, I am a big fan of SJB, but he is terrible at penalties. Gives the penalty taker far too much notice which way he is going.
He went too early, if he stands up to the last pens he saves all 3, I just think he should mix up his saving technique a bit more putting doubt in the penalty takers mind, plus this England talk has undoubtedly affected his form as well.

He’s no chance of a call up after Sunday. Kicking all over the place, suspect at the first and third goals.

He made some good saves and kept us in the game, but that would be expected. From an England point of view no one in their set up is walking away from Sunday thinking he must be called up.

TBH, from a Rangers level I hope none of our players go to the Euro's with the potential to get injured.
If Butland goes he'll be 3rd choice keeper anyway so probably wont get to play a game

Back