Souttar early impressions

He looks ok thus far but he is very erratic and his positioning is all over the place

He made a challenge a few yards away from Conte today. He should neither be that far up the park unless it is a corner no should he be that far left. He left massive gaps in the line a few times in the first half

That being said I am sure he will be fine. Needs addressed though as he done it on Tuesday a few times as well

Exactly what we need for the SPL. He will improve our defence domestically.

For Europe, I've got my concerns. Slow on the turn and been caught out of position a few times the last 2 games. Albeit against higher calibre opposition. I hope that aspect improves
Early days, but he has yet to find full fitness and get used to that position. It's the one position that's up for grabs at the moment. I suspect once Davies is fit and ready, he will become first choice.

could end up being decent for us. needs more minutes you can tell he’s been missing them. as it stands he leaves plenty to be desired but not irredeemably so

Wants to be aggressive and press the attacker high up the park, leaves huge gaps in the defence and we were exposed by that on numerous occasions today. Wasn't helped much by Borna either to be fair

I think he looks like he'll be a decent player. He'll adapt the more and more he plays with us to a better style. If we can keep him fit he'll be a very good squad player for us. I have a feeling the centre pairing will be Goldson and Davies though with Souttar on rotation/sub duties. He's just came in from Hearts, is clearly a very good player and will get better with us.

Some need to remember what he was up against today. We've seen kane , son and kulusevski rip some of the better defenders in the EPL to bits.

For Europe, I've got my concerns. Slow on the turn and been caught out of position a few times the last 2 games. Albeit against higher calibre opposition. I hope that aspect improves
Early days yet but his dribbling from defence will add a different dimension to our play both domestically and European.

Goldson will keep him right the more they play together.

Good with the ball at feet, passing, and doing the more siege type defending.
Not so good with tracking a runner or a player running at him (tbf the average price tag of todays opponent was probably £40million).

Trying too hard and getting caught out positionally. Looked okay on the ball or actually defending when he’s been in the right spot.

Sands has looked excellent though. Showing massive improvement and would have liked to see him on earlier against Spurs better players to compare accurately.

I think he’ll do well, my only concern today well two, he was outpaced at times but he showed good timing and vision in tackles (at times)

Also with Barasic going forward he’s covering that left back spot and he was occasionally caught flat footed. But again it’s early doors I’m not panicking I think he’ll pick it up quickly (Sands will put pressure on him for a place so hopefully that’ll speed up his progress too)

Last edited:
Far too early to make a fair call.
Spurs are probably the best side we will play against this season unless we make the CL groups or perhaps go far into the Europa again.
Souter will probably stroll it in most SPL matches.

Firstly, we can’t be writing off players after 2 pre season games

But equally we can’t pretend or play down what we’ve witnessed

He looks very slow, he’s dived into at least 4 or 5 tackles and missed the ball completely over our last 2 games. He’s been suspect for countless chances created by the opponents and had a hand in todays 2nd goal.

So far on current evidence, it’s not been a good start. He’s been all over the place and looked a real bomb scare defensively

When we signed him I thought on paper it was a decent signing but I never bought into the immediate hype of how he’ll be an excellent player for us. Watching him at Hearts, I wasn’t convinced he would be an upgrade on Balogun.

The only positives over Balogun on the face of it is his age and he’s a homegrown player for our European squads.

I think he’ll be a good squad player but I don’t see him as a starting 11 player regularly. At left centre back that would be a major worry for me

Pre-season or not it’s an ask for any centre half to compete against Antonio or Kane. Positionally he will adjust under the tutelage of Goldson. It’s a big step up for him and will take time to settle.

Don't think Borna helped him to much defensively bombing forward and leaving huge gaps in behind that top teams like Spurs will exploit.

Playing on the wrong side. Positioning and body shape all wrong at times.

Sands a better option on that side.

Souttar is a good defender. I think he will deputise Goldson and will be more than capable to come in and perform on that side.

Back