Souttar early impressions

Nope, they will continue with absolute shite if a new signing doesn’t hit the ground running.

Colak was written off by a couple of people 20 minutes into a pre season friendly against West Ham! That’s the level of mentalness we are dealing with here.

That said I do think Souttar will be a squad player rather than a first pick, Davies is a natural left sided centre half, I fully expect him and Goldson to be first choice with Souttar playing the Balogun role of filling in when required.

We will play loads of games though so I think he will get plenty of chances.
If you hadn’t won yesterday there would be another thread with it’s fair share of moonhowlers saying Gio isn’t up to it domestically.

Rangers are going to come really good across the board this season and I genuinely believe Souttar can play his part.

He will be absolutely fine imo. Off the top of my head, we have had threads on here debating the likes of Kent, Davis and Lundstram not long after they signed. Give the guy some time.

I'll let him get properly fit before judging, he's clearly still way off it (,or way off level of fitness you need for rangers). This is a step up for the boy, but let him adjust.

Dare I say, it's almost a bit like Duffy, looks fine in a team where it's backs to the wall, defending on edge of your box most the game, but totally hopeless when players getting in behind with pace and having to play the ball out from the back.

Let's see though, he needs some time

Am I wrong or was there not a bereavement in his family recently?

Could be that his head just isn't in it at all - in which case Gio needs to pull him out.

No he isn’t.

I backed Souttar to do well at Rangers and once he’s settled and in a better frame of mind I still do, whether that’s as a regular starter or a solid squad player able to slot in when required.

I find it mental that anyone can write off a player after 1 competitive game. And I don’t care how successful a club Rangers are, it’s moronic.

Did you watch yesterday's game JR ?
I personally thought his performance was pretty much the same as anytime I've seen him at hertz or Scotland

It seems to me that he's prone to wandering out of position & often doesn't track opposing attackers or suffers from a lack of concentration
Like I said - I was aware of these flaws / errors before he came to us - & am not judging on '1 competitive game'

However I'll gladly listen to opinions from those who've watched him more regularly than I have

Incidentally - I have every sympathy for his family bereavement
I recognise that he's playing in a slightly different position than he was before
I also sincerely hope he settles into our style of play & becomes a mainstay with us for years to come

But Meantime - he needs to drastically & quickly improve IMO - if that's going to happen

I personally thought his performance was pretty much the same as anytime I've seen him at hertz or Scotland

It seems to me that he's prone to wandering out of position & often doesn't track opposing attackers or suffers from a lack of concentration
Like I said - I was aware of these flaws / errors before he came to us - & am not judging on '1 competitive game'

However I'll gladly listen to opinions from those who've watched him more regularly than I have

I recognise that he's playing in a slightly different position than he was before
I also sincerely hope he settles into our style of play & becomes a mainstay with us for years to come

But Meantime - he needs to drastically & quickly improve IMO - if that's going to happen
I didn’t even see any highlights from any of the games yesterday mate. I’m aware Soapy was culpable for the goal.

He does have a meandering style, some of his best moments for Hearts were bringing the ball 30-40 yards then switching out wide. He’s normally robust in the tackle, hard to outmuscle, he’s a naturally big lad. On the flip side, doesn’t do as well facing his own goal, and he can struggle with a well played ball over the top. I’ll point you to Aribo’s goal at Tynecastle where Goldson played a 70 yard ball, he was in no man’s land.

Just a bit disheartening to hear such negativity around him. A very good value player considering his attributes, and I feel good coaching and better players around him will help iron out some of the flaws.

Time clearly is of the essence at a club like Rangers in terms of levels, but I think he will win people over.

I

Can you provide some examples of when he played like yesterday in a Scotland jersey?

A shaky debut, I’ll give him a pass ( from criticism ) given current circumstances, His head must be all over the place.

Also his injury history, Playing on one of those dodgy plastic pitches isn’t ideal. I believe he will get better, Like any new player he’ll take time to settle.

He’s playing LCB now rather than RCB, that’s a big change for a centre back especially when you’ve played RCB his whole career. That will take a few months to get used to which is fine given we’ve got other good players who can step in for him. That mixed with his personal issues will make his move to playing for us slightly harder. I’ve a funny feeling that in the cup game you’ll see Goldson get a rest and souttar will play RCB and look a different player.

[QUOTE="prenzlauerbear,

Can you provide some examples of when he played like yesterday in a Scotland jersey?
[/QUOTE]

He was nowhere to be seen for all three of Ukraine's goals
I know it was a breakaway- but the third goal he was nearer the halfway line than his own goal
He frequently drifts in & out of position most times I've seen him - & I'd argue he always has done
Don't forget we've been linked with him for years - so I've watched him albeit sporadically - probably more than I would choose to
& with all due respect - I've never thought he was more than average

Last edited:
I distinctly remember a goal scored by

I know it was a breakaway- but the third goal he was nearer the halfway line than his own goal
He frequently drifts in & out of position most times I've seen him - & I'd argue he always has done
Don't forget we've been linked with him for years - so I've watched him albeit sporadically - probably more than I would choose to

Shambles lol, made a right c*nt of it

Last edited:
He had a bit of a nightmare yesterday but it’s his competitive debut. He’s a very good defender and will be a valuable part of our squad this season and beyond. Writing him off after one game is so depressingly familiar.

His contract was expired and still hadn’t signed a new deal so yes away

Even Goldson never knew he was away! We signed him because we needed more centre halves. Couldnt trust Balogun & Helander to stay fit. Granted Souttar isn’t the most reliable for injuries either.

We never signed him as a replacement. Have a day off.

In the past we've been guilty, and I absolutely include myself in this, of only thinking about our starting 11. Football has changed and you need a good core group of 20 people you can rely on to perform well across the 70 games we play a season.

When Souttar is settled in, had time to focus, I hope he'll be a good member of the squad. Will he start every week at left CB, I doubt it but you never know. I won't be judging him on a poor half against Livingston when others haven't exactly covered themselves in glory there in the past.

Never rated him at Hearts either. So not writing him off after 1 game. Guys on here saying he will get better with better coaching. He is 25 not a young laddie. Looked totally lost against Spurs and again yesterday. Sands looked a much better prospect and hopefully Davies better still.

Even Goldson never knew he was away! We signed him because we needed more centre halves. Couldnt trust Balogun & Helander to stay fit. Granted Souttar isn’t the most reliable for injuries either.

We never signed him as a replacement. Have a day off.
Couldn’t trust balogun and helander to stay fit so sign souttar you realise how stupid that sounds so heed your own advice and have a few days off instead

[QUOTE="prenzlauerbear,

[/QUOTE]

Souttar didn't come off the bench against Ukraine @gersandproud .

Some of our fans just expect players to come straight into the team and hit form from the first minute. Although that would be the ideal situation some players do need time to adjust.

Take John Lundstrum for example.

Im not ITK or anything like that but I did hear that Souttar has had a loss in the family just recently so if that's the case the lads head will not be 100 percent focused and thats just natural, footballers are human beings aswell.

We all know hes a good defender and has a bit more to his game aswell so I'm confident given time and OUR support John Souttar will become a big player in that team. Playing and training with Goldson and Davies among others will only improve his game further.

Give the boy a break and get behind him. The more we show him our support the quicker he will settle and show us why we brought him to the club.

I'll let him get properly fit before judging, he's clearly still way off it (,or way off level of fitness you need for rangers). This is a step up for the boy, but let him adjust.

Dare I say, it's almost a bit like Duffy, looks fine in a team where it's backs to the wall, defending on edge of your box most the game, but totally hopeless when players getting in behind with pace and having to play the ball out from the back.

Let's see though, he needs some time

This was my exact thought yesterday.

Playing on the right of a back 3 for Hearts is basically a different sport to playing left CB for Rangers.

Hopefully yesterday was a one off.

Souttar didn't come off the bench against Ukraine @gersandproud .
[/QUOTE]

Apologies mate - I obviously made a right 'Jeremy' of that
Although I did say - he was nowhere to be seen
As you can tell I'm not so good with Scotland fixtures
Can you recommend hertz or Scotland highlights that would show his best attributes ?

Too early, they need to work on his concentration and awareness of the game. Too easy to switch off as a Rangers defender with so many periods of us on the offensive. Dealing with high punts and forwards intent on battering you is what he has to get used to.

I don’t think Souttar is better than Balogun. We could still resign Balogun, it would be worthwhile doing.
Goldson, Souttar, Helander, King, Sands and Davies. We also still have Katic and Simpson on the books. You still want Balogun resigned? CB is one position that we don't need any more signings for.

Goldson, Souttar, Helander, King, Sands and Davies. We also still have Katic and Simpson on the books. You still want Balogun resigned? CB is one position that we don't need any more signings for.
If we can offload Katic and Simpson I'd resign Balogun in a heart beat. I can only think he never got an extension due to his age. He is certainly good enough for a back up and has invaluable experience especially in Europe

The bearpit really is beyond parody sometimes.

‘Early impressions’ ffs.

We’ve played 1 competitive match.

Unbelievable.

There's a fine distinction between 'whipping boy' and justified debate about any of our player's performances, it's a football forum of course players are going to be judged on how they perform in games.
For what it's worth, I agree that it's way too early to write of Souttar, but I think he was brought in as a hedge against Goldson leaving and he's not really suited playing as a left sided CB, hence he was caught on the wrong side of the Livi guy too often (amongst other mistakes). At this moment in time though Sands is a better bet in the left sided CB role, hopefully Souttar will improve and bed in successfully in that role but in the meantime we have to go with the best option.

Back