Souttar early impressions

There’s no doubting he’s been dealing with tragic family circumstances, though sadly all the more reason why he shouldn’t have been in the team today.
As has been suggested elsewhere on this thread he apparently insisted to GVB he wanted to play and all credit to him but in the circumstances bringing him off at half time might have been a better call all round.
Maybe then the management should shoulder the blame that for not taking the decision out his hands.

On the contrary, I don't think he would have forgot about his brother for 1 second today.

Imagine growing up a Rangers fan with your brothers and finally being lucky enough to get the chance to play for your boyhood hero's, but your brother sadly passes away, still a very young man, a few days before your debut.

You would be wanting to go out there and do it for him, put in a performance to be proud of. Would be on your mind all game.

John Souttar has more bravery in his big toe than most of the folk on here slating him for his performance today have in their entire body.

Maybe forgetting about it was the wrong word. Maybe normalising the day to forget about the grief, not his brother. Playing football means you usually forget about everyday things. Sometimes players play blinders when something tragic happens. Unfortunately didn't for Souttar today.

I don't blame him for wanting to play.

Maybe forgetting about it was the wrong word. Maybe normalising the day to forget about the grief, not his brother. Playing football means you usually forget about everyday things. Sometimes players play blinders when something tragic happens. Unfortunately didn't for Souttar today.

I don't blame him for wanting to play.

No I know what you meant mate.

Just think that due to it being his boyhood club it would be weighing on him a lot today.

At my very modest level, I started as RCB in a 4, moving to LCB and it took a while to adjust to all the different angles - not to mention the change of feet emphasis. I’d be interested to see how Goldson would react if he had to play on the left or Helander on the right. Or Tav LB or Borna RB.The 2 CB positions are not easily, or quickly, inter-changeable.

Dreadful to read about the lads brother. Take him out the side for a few weeks to get his head straight.
I never knew about his brother.
However, it might well be that the lad needs to be involved rather than sitting at home letting the tragedy dominate his thinking.
He gets a pass from me today, not because of his personal circumstances, but simply because it is early days and he is settling into a new team and way of playing.
As for his strength of mind in wanting to be involved, I admire that.

At my very modest level, I started as RCB in a 4, moving to LCB and it took a while to adjust to all the different angles - not to mention the change of body shape and feet emphasis. I’d be interested to see how Goldson would react if he had to play on the left or Helander on the right. Or Tav LB or Borna RB.The 2 CB positions are not easily, or quickly, inter-changeable.
Something I’ve mentioned as well. Goldson, who is seen as our best CB has never been asked to play that role. Yet player seen as inferior to him and also right footed have been asked to play the left of the 2. One of Souttars best attributes is his range of passing, but mainly to the left wing, not unlike Goldson. Abit harder to do from the position he is being asked to play. However Sands didn’t appear to struggle knocking it about. Souttar will be a useful player over the season as he continues to settle

Very poor game

I had a guy infront of me today say... "what is he supposed to do? The striker is bigger than him". The most idiotic statement I have ever heard at a game.

Souttar was too tight and never got physical enough and his positional sense was very poor. I hope the guy infront of me posts on here because he sounded an absolute idiot.

Katic is poor at times but never have I seen him have as a poor game as what Souttar did today.

On the contrary, I don't think he would have forgot about his brother for 1 second today.

Imagine growing up a Rangers fan with your brothers and finally being lucky enough to get the chance to play for your boyhood hero's, but your brother sadly passes away, still a very young man, a few days before your debut.

You would be wanting to go out there and do it for him, put in a performance to be proud of. Would be on your mind all game.

John Souttar has more bravery in his big toe than most of the folk on here slating him for his performance today have in their entire body.

I think we have to agree however well intentioned the decision was to allow Souttar to play it was wrong. He clearly looked well off it in the Spurs game. So it's not like the warning signs weren't there.

It's the job of management to protect players for their longer term good and Gio got it wrong today.
Many people are criticising just on the basis of what they've seen they don't know the background.

Maybe as h
He looked good in a back 3, not left centre back in a back 4
Haven't seen too much of him for Hearts, but maybe he plays better in a three as he has less space to cover which suits his pace or lack of it. I hope he can turn it around but today for me he looked positionally suspect, slow on the turn, and poor in the air which surprised me most.

I think we have to agree however well intentioned the decision was to allow Souttar to play it was wrong. He clearly looked well off it in the Spurs game. So it's not like the warning signs weren't there.

It's the job of management to protect players for their longer term good and Gio got it wrong today.
Many people are criticising just on the basis of what they've seen they don't know the background.

Yep agree that he probably shouldn't have played.

Can't criticise him for wanting to though

Yep agree that he probably shouldn't have played.

Can't criticise him for wanting to though

Absolutely and difficult for a manager to say no to someone if he feels he's being supportive by doing that. However I do believe a more experienced manager would have made a different decision and been able to talk the player round to agreeing with the decision.

It's history now but personally even at Hearts and I don't claim to be forensic on this Souttar hasn't overly impressed me.

There's plenty of time to assess Souttar and for him to settle.

Understandable that he might not have been fully focussed today given the circumstances.

The worry I have is that he looked physically weak and easily outmuscled.

That's not something you can get away with in Scottish football, so hopefully it was just a bad day for the big guy.

Dreadful. Was worried how he would adapt to a back 4 rather than back 5 and hes been rinsed in each and every game so far. Very limited cover from Barisic hasnt helped his cause.

Hopefully he improves.

Poor performance,hopefully he grows into the roll.Cut the guy some slack it’s a big step up from Hearts to us.Many players have taken time to settle so let’s be patient.Definitely a top class defender there.

Another Jordan Jones signing the guy is useless should be nowhere near the starting eleven
Barasic never done himself any favours either, running away from the ball yet again

• Haha
Reactions: JCL
Refer John Lundstram 12 months ago.

Alashkert at Ibrox should have been the last we seen of him,according to most of us, including me. Now he's first name on the team sheet.

Souttar will do fine.

Refer John Lundstram 12 months ago.

Alashkert at Ibrox should have been the last we seen of him,according to most of us, including me. Now he's first name on the team sheet.

Souttar will do fine.
Exactly what I came to say.

Trust the process. Recruitment team deserve it.

There's no way I'd write him off after one game but I think we'd all agree it wasn't an auspicious start and the defence looked much more solid when Sands came on

Another Jordan Jones signing the guy is useless should be nowhere near the starting eleven
Barasic never done himself any favours either, running away from the ball yet again
Poor performance yes, but on a free that signing was a no brainer imo. He isn't useless as he has shown in the past. He won't be the first player to have a stinker on his debut

Were too quick criticise on here, he was shaky today but with all that happened recently, his debut plus the fact that defenders absolutely hate the artificial turf I'll give him time.

I seem to remember big Helender looking like Bambi on ice at Rugby park and I consider him the best defender at the club.

Let's not be stupid here and write the guy off on what we have seen so far. To me he was bought to cover the fact that Goldson looked like he was leaving. He is a naturally right sided player, he looks awkward and uncomfortable on the left side. I don't think Gio is doing him any favours blending him in on the left. Introduce him as a sub on the right and take Conner off when games are won until he settles in. I know Conner and Tav are nailed on 90 minute men every game but it's a long season and it doesn't need to be like this we have the cover to cope.

Big move for him, news about his brother, playing at LCB which will take him a while to adapt to, no doubt eager to impress and make the position his as there is that much competition.

All that could be a bit too much for him. Players are only human after all.

We’ve seen how good he was at Hearts. Time is needed.

John Soutar will be in the top three for our poty this season. Bookmark this.

I hope you're right but I dont think you will be. Im not a fan of his and he had a terrible game today but we do need to give him time to settle in. So lets all get behind him.

Didn’t know about his personal issue, horrendous for him.

It’s early days so nobody should write him off, but it’s fair to say that he’s got a lot to do to demonstrate that he’s a better player than Balogun, who he replaced in the squad.

Davies will probably slot in at left CB when fit - better balance with him being left footed.

Andy Goram start. Now needs taking out the team for Sands and broken in gentle. If he does have family problems then let him sort his head out and come back in a few weeks time.
We have Sands, Davies muts also nearly be fit and King. No need to make the situation worse.

Miles apart.

Souttar has the credentials to be good for Rangers. Jones was never good enough.

Even, worst case, Souttar becomes back up for Goldson, that’s a good signing.

New team, wrong side of the pairing for him, shit pitch and a family death.

I think we should learn from Lundstram and keep quiet until Xmas.

I do think he’ll struggle on the left of the two though. Spaces and distances were all wrong again.

Big move for him, news about his brother, playing at LCB which will take him a while to adapt to, no doubt eager to impress and make the position his as there is that much competition.

All that could be a bit too much for him. Players are only human after all.

We’ve seen how good he was at Hearts. Time is needed.
This.

People trying to crucify big Souttar at this stage are a disgrace and need to take a good look at themselves. That’s if they are bears at all.

He’s playing out of position to help the team just now until Ben Davis is ready. He’s been through a traumatic family event and still played on.

Has he looked nervy, slow, leaden footed, indecisive, tactically naive and seems behind in fitness compared to the rest of our back line? Yes. It can’t be denied. The boy will know this himself more than anyone.

But you don’t jump on the guy when he’s struggling you stand by him when times are tough this is the Rangers way you don’t jump online and add to criticism of him ffs. It’s one thing being a demanding support but some of the comments are not what Struth would want indeed he’d be Fcking appalled.

Personally I think we are nailed on to go 5 at the back more often than not when Yilmaz settles in.
McLaughlin
Tav
Souttar/Sands
Goldson
Davies
Yilmaz

3 from Lundstrum Kamara Jack Tilman Lawrence Arfield Davis

2 from
Colak Morelos Kent Wright Sakala Roofe Matondo

Or maybe he knew what was happening with his brother on Saturday, he did die after all on Sunday by all accounts.

Some people have no compassion

Back