SPFL press release

I’m sure the clubs involved will just drop the idea now they know the SPFL don’t back it
Different press release! B-D

PRESS RELEASE​

SPFL AND SKY SPORTS ANNOUNCE MAJOR BOOST FOR SCOTTISH FOOTBALL FANS
SPFL Premiership clubs will be able to broadcast all 228 matches to season ticket holders after a major new deal was struck between the league and broadcaster Sky Sports for next season.
As was the case this season, all SPFL clubs will be allowed to make available ‘season passes’ of their home matches, to season ticket holders, through online club channels. In addition, all clubs will be allowed to sell any home game not broadcast live by Sky, on a pay-per-view basis next season.

With discussions still ongoing between football authorities and the Scottish Government to allow supporters to attend matches in person, the new deal for season 2021/22 season gives certainty to fans and clubs alike on the ability to watch games live on TV.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “For the past few months, there have been intense, detailed discussions between ourselves, Sky Sports and our clubs to give fans certainty that they will be able to watch their heroes playing live next season, irrespective of when supporters are allowed back into stadia. Today’s announcement is a major boost for everyone involved in the game.

“Obviously, we are all desperate to get supporters back into grounds on a safe and sustainable basis and are making good progress in our discussions with the Scottish Government, especially given the pace of the vaccine roll-out.

“In a normal season, almost five million fans attend SPFL games, the highest per capita attendance in Europe, and the current broadcast deals have been an absolute lifeline for clubs and supporters alike as they battle the enormous financial pressures caused by Covid-19. The television viewer numbers for Scottish football this season have been magnificent and this was one of the key reasons behind our agreement with Sky Sports to extend our current arrangements.

“Sky Sports have been enormously supportive and, in the UK and Ireland, will continue to screen up to 48 live Scottish Premiership matches, as well as the Premiership play-off finals. In addition, the new deal enables Premiership clubs to broadcast on a pay per view basis every home SPFL game not selected by Sky Sports."

One benefit from this is that those of us who normally have had to use a VPN to watch home matches (through our overseas Unlimited subscription) will, like this season, not need to switch on our VPNs to view - which makes for a better viewing experience.

So no fans at games next season either, then.
SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “For the past few months, there have been intense, detailed discussions between ourselves, Sky Sports and our clubs to give fans certainty that they will be able to watch their heroes playing live next season, irrespective of when supporters are allowed back into stadia. Today’s announcement is a major boost for everyone involved

I don't really understand this. So does this mean next season's pretty much the same as this season?

If the game is on Sky, its on Sky and only on RTV overseas

If the game is not on Sky it will be available on RTV via virtual season tickets (if they exist) or by ppv in the UK?

It must be our numbers that are showing up well, because from what I remember the jungles don’t do PPV, only VST.
I will happily buy the the games not on sky, the production this season has been superb, great guests, good commentators and quality interviews.
I wonder if they will do a package for the full season for RTV, or per game?

Sounds like it, at least for Home games - provided they aren't screened live on Sky - same as this season.

Will still need a VPN to purchase away games and Sky live home matches on RangersTV - unless you want to pay the host club for their offering LOL.
The built in VPN on the Opera browser has been working quite well for me.

What does this mean, as a comparison to this season (for ST holders), for flag day / OF games / any home games that Sky decide to broadcast?

You can guarantee the Sellik FA will have next season's first OF game as early as possible to give us a near empty stadium.

Different press release! B-D

PRESS RELEASE​

SPFL AND SKY SPORTS ANNOUNCE MAJOR BOOST FOR SCOTTISH FOOTBALL FANS
SPFL Premiership clubs will be able to broadcast all 228 matches to season ticket holders after a major new deal was struck between the league and broadcaster Sky Sports for next season.
As was the case this season, all SPFL clubs will be allowed to make available ‘season passes’ of their home matches, to season ticket holders, through online club channels. In addition, all clubs will be allowed to sell any home game not broadcast live by Sky, on a pay-per-view basis next season.

With discussions still ongoing between football authorities and the Scottish Government to allow supporters to attend matches in person, the new deal for season 2021/22 season gives certainty to fans and clubs alike on the ability to watch games live on TV.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “For the past few months, there have been intense, detailed discussions between ourselves, Sky Sports and our clubs to give fans certainty that they will be able to watch their heroes playing live next season, irrespective of when supporters are allowed back into stadia. Today’s announcement is a major boost for everyone involved in the game.

“Obviously, we are all desperate to get supporters back into grounds on a safe and sustainable basis and are making good progress in our discussions with the Scottish Government, especially given the pace of the vaccine roll-out.

“In a normal season, almost five million fans attend SPFL games, the highest per capita attendance in Europe, and the current broadcast deals have been an absolute lifeline for clubs and supporters alike as they battle the enormous financial pressures caused by Covid-19. The television viewer numbers for Scottish football this season have been magnificent and this was one of the key reasons behind our agreement with Sky Sports to extend our current arrangements.

“Sky Sports have been enormously supportive and, in the UK and Ireland, will continue to screen up to 48 live Scottish Premiership matches, as well as the Premiership play-off finals. In addition, the new deal enables Premiership clubs to broadcast on a pay per view basis every home SPFL game not selected by Sky Sports."
Neil Doncaster said: “For the past few months, there have been intense, detailed discussions between ourselves, Sky Sports and our clubs to give fans certainty that they will be able to watch their heroes playing live next season,

3 rousing cheers for Neil Doncaster then ?

"The television viewer numbers for Scottish football this season have been magnificent......"Announce the figures then Neil.

The built in VPN on the Opera browser has been working quite well for me.

What does this mean, as a comparison to this season (for ST holders), for flag day / OF games / any home games that Sky decide to broadcast?

You can guarantee the Sellik FA will have next season's first OF game as early as possible to give us a near empty stadium.
Live Sky games will only be available on RangersTV to those overseas if it mirrors this season.

Yeah, the Dhims won't be pushing for the first OF game to be on Matchday 11 next season ha ha. Cnuts.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “For the past few months, there have been intense, detailed discussions between ourselves, Sky Sports and our clubs to give fans certainty that they will be able to watch their heroes playing live next season, irrespective of when supporters are allowed back into stadia. Today’s announcement is a major boost for everyone involved
Months? How can it take months unless you’re useless?

So, as a non season ticket holder I've been buying on a game per game basis through RTV. Under this new scheme I'll now be paying Sky for the privilege?

So, as a non season ticket holder I've been buying on a game per game basis through RTV. Under this new scheme I'll now be paying Sky for the privilege?
No. Not how I read it. It will be exactly the same as this season.

If you've been buying every game you'd be as well getting a VPN and an overseas Unlimited subscription to get all games, home and away, with the exception of European group stages and beyond. Including those live on Sky.

I'm not a fan of this as it once again is pushing away from kids going to Ibrox at 3pm on a Saturday to see the team (which is the same across whole of Scottish football). Everything that's happening just now with leagues and TV - its just money money money and moving away from working class sport that still has its affordability about it.

Last year, just before the season started, some kind soul on here did an idiots guide to what the options were between RTV, Sky, BT, Premier Sports, VPN etc for getting to watch whatever games we were likely to have over the season.

I think the only unknown at the time were non-Sky away games on other Clubs’ PPV - but that was generally sorted by a good VPN and a trip “overseas”

When you think about it its not so good for everyone outside of the old firm. Most of our away games are televised. Which means most smaller clubs wont get to cash in when we play them. So actually this suits us more than the rest. Extra income on the majority of our home games is very nice.

Will this still be the case when we’re allowed in again?
It does say ‘irrespective of when supporters are allowed back into stadia’. This will be in place for, at least, the entirety of next season,

Oh, and watch for the Dhims change tack on this. They’ve restricted their home games to season ticket holders this season, with no PPV available. Betcha they change next term.

Last edited:
It does say ‘irrespective of when supporters are allowed back into stadia’. This will be in place for, at least, the entirety of next season,

Oh, and watch for the Dhims change tack on this. They’ve restricted their home games to season ticket holders this season, with no PPV available. Betcha they change next term.

Surely if that’s the case it would risk people not wanting to bother going to games? Not so much for us probably.

Surely if that’s the case it would risk people not wanting to bother going to games? Not so much for us probably.
Well, I guess you either want to go see your team or you don’t. :)

For Rangers, we will still sell all our non-ST seats. Even those STs that go on SeatSub will sell.

For the smaller clubs, as I say, you either want to go see your team or you don’t. I doubt any impact will be significant.

Basically the same deal as this season

Any game on Sky will be available to STH no PPV and home clubs are sell direct PPV as this season

Only worry is when full capacity is going to be allowed

Going forward this would be a great option for me as I can’t make every game due to work. If I was able to still watch those games as part of my ST that would be cracking.

I'd rather watch Rangers TV with our own in house team rather than the Sky mob. Does this mean I cant do it?

Back