Sportscene

A Rangers player gets a straight red for pulling a jersey

10 minutes later, the ref waves play of when an opposition player elbows a Ranger player

That's to fair, not on any level

I'm not saying it is. All I'm saying is that Sands should have been sent off for what he did himself.

What the ref does after that, and in response to a separate incident, isn't really relevant to the subject being discussed - whether Sands should have been sent off.

You're conflating the Sands incident and your wider disdain for officials.

Exactly. Couldn't even bring themselves to mention the colak goal against Livingston that was wrongly chalked off, or the countless other wrong decisions that furked us last week against Hibernian,
But they will sit for 15 20 minutes spewing over one thing that does go for us. It's clear the narrative those bheast furks at the BBC are trying to set. The club should have told them to shove their half arsed apology up their arses and had nothing further to do with them. That place will never change, rife from top to bottom with them.
Best just to watch highlights on YouTube when they go up , with no rats like Liam McLeod screeching down the mic.
Your absolutely correct about the BBC unfortunately they cannot change it is ingrained and institutionalised it would be far easier to turn lead into gold than get an even handed analysis from those types of ' people '.

They will focus on:

Sands should have received 2nd yellow.

Tav should maybe have had yellow for pull back.

They won't focus on:

2 potential yellows for RC players on Tillman as he broke away before our first goal.

2nd yellow for their defender who hacked down Kent and didn't try play ball.

Clear handball for penalty claim.
Perhaps someone is up to date on rules.
if a player commits a foul, and advantage is given, the referee doesn’t have to issue a yellow unless it endangers the opponent.
the above is from memory and I might not be accurate.

Your absolutely correct about the BBC unfortunately they cannot change it is ingrained and institutionalised it would be far easier to turn lead into gold than get an even handed analysis from those types of ' people '.
I've had the misfortune of knowing many of them and not one of them could be trusted to remain professional and impartial in any role ,regardless of what that role might be or its importance. especially when it concerns us or them. Like you say it's ingrained in them, the mask never takes long to slip.

All the Shellick fan interlopers just can’t help themselves on this thread.

Or maybe there are Rangers fans with a different opinion to your own.

Can you imagine a world where not all Rangers fans share the same opinion, simply because they're Rangers fans? We can but dream...

Honestly dunno how anyone can watch it. Highlights available on YouTube, save yourself from bleeding from the eyes and ears.

Absolutely. But that's the narrative starting ahead of next week.

Absolutely guaranteed we'll end up with a red next week.
These posts about narrative don't affect referee performance. Panic merchant talk. We'll be fine. The referee knows both teams inside out and the players know him. We need our players to perform on the day, the same as every other old firm game. At least Gio and the players will be focussed on their own performance rather than the referee's. If they listened to you they'd be nervous wrecks.

These posts about narrative don't affect referee performance. Panic merchant talk. We'll be fine. The referee knows both teams inside out and the players know him. We need our players to perform on the day, the same as every other old firm game. At least Gio and the players will be focussed on their own performance rather than the referee's. If they listened to you they'd be nervous wrecks.

I agree in the most part - but it's also naive to think referees, especially in Scotland, are not aware of what's being discussed in the media, be that via the papers, phone-ins or via Social media. They're human at the end of the day.

I recall a certain Mr Clancy citing in an interview early in the 55 season that he "knew exactly what was at stake".

I agree in the most part - but it's also naive to think referees, especially in Scotland, are not aware of what's being discussed in the media, be that via the papers, phone-ins or via Social media. They're human at the end of the day.

I recall a certain Mr Clancy citing in an interview early in the 55 season that he "knew exactly what was at stake".
Managers always say they don't read the papers, comments in the press are ignored in order that they can concentrate on the task at hand. The same can be said of refs. They'll go out hoping for a good performance, the same as the players. Of course he knew what was at stake, he wasn't drafted in from Outer Mongolia.

Managers always say they don't read the papers, comments in the press are ignored in order that they can concentrate on the task at hand. The same can be said of refs. They'll go out hoping for a good performance, the same as the players. Of course he knew what was at stake, he wasn't drafted in from Outer Mongolia.

Exactly - that's my point. I don't even know who the ref is for next week, but I can guarantee you whoever it is will be aware of the calls for Sands to have been sent off today. He'll probably see the incident multiple times before next week.

I'm no conspiracy theorist btw - I just know that media narratives play a part in refereeing decisions, especially in Scotland - see Morelos a prime example.

Why are they not highlighting the Ross County players foul on Kent which was a yellow ,( which would have been his second , ) all day long . Any chance / opportunity to attack Rangers and they're all over it . We get decisions given against us unfairly every week , some a lot worse than the Sands one today , but we never seem to get or witness the same outrage shown by these same bbc pundits and commentators. We should forget about their feeble attempt to build bridges because to me they are just as guilty as ever of bias against us .
Also What surprises me with some punters on here is , their insistence Sands should have been red carded for the incident , have we not got enough Rangers haters out there already only too willing to voice their agendas and distort what's really happening..?

We didn't

Robertson thought he was being clever, giving Wednesday's best player an early soft yellow - hoping it would quieten him for the rest of the game.

The problem was he committed a genuine yellow card offence soon after. It was too obvious to send him off that early, especially after last week's cheating
Yes, it’s that tendency to make decisions based on emotions rather than rules that gets so many backs up.

A good ref would have had a word with Sands after the first offence but left it at that so that when the second arrived he could have comfortably dished out a yellow.

Instead he’s given Sands a yellow early on to show everyone he’s the boss, but then craps out of sending him off for the second offence ruining any chance he had of convincing anyone he’s got the game under control.

And that happens again and again and again in our matches.

The ref was a joke (both ways). Honestly Scottish football is embarrassing. It was a sending off but I will assume they ignored RC's obvious red card.

The assault on Lowry being the main talking point domeatically this week.

Exactly - that's my point. I don't even know who the ref is for next week, but I can guarantee you whoever it is will be aware of the calls for Sands to have been sent off today. He'll probably see the incident multiple times before next week.

I'm no conspiracy theorist btw - I just know that media narratives play a part in refereeing decisions, especially in Scotland - see Morelos a prime example.
They don't play a part regardless of what you think. Refs referee the 90 minutes without worrying about sportscene. They might read the papers just like the rest of us. Maybe Morelos behaves like a fud and brings referee attention upon himself sometimes.

They don't play a part regardless of what you think. Refs referee the 90 minutes without worrying about sportscene. They might read the papers just like the rest of us. Maybe Morelos behaves like a fud and brings referee attention upon himself sometimes.

Wildly naive from you. Why would fans like us be aware of such narratives but referees not? Are we as country blessed with such impartial, dedicated and professional refereeing, all of whom are oblivious to what is being discussed in arguably the biggest goldfish bowl in world football? Christ, our refs all work during the day and referee at weekends for an extra few quid. Half of them are scrolling through twitter on their lunch break in the queue at Greggs.

Wildly naive from you. Why would fans like us be aware of such narratives but referees not? Are we as country blessed with such impartial, dedicated and professional refereeing? Christ, our refs all work during the day and referee at weekends for an extra few quid.
Just because they're aware doesn't mean that they're influenced by the TV and papers. They concentrate on the game and try their best the same as every other referee before a game anywhere. I'm not going to referee Morelos differently because I've seen him on telly. I'll have witnessed his behaviour before having seen it when I refereed him previously. I'll ref him based on what I see.

Perhaps someone is up to date on rules.
if a player commits a foul, and advantage is given, the referee doesn’t have to issue a yellow unless it endangers the opponent.
the above is from memory and I might not be accurate.

You may be correct.

The second challenge on Tillman, as far as I remember, looked like a lunge and could have hurt (if Tillman wasn't quick / slick enough to skip away).

Just because they're aware doesn't mean that they're influenced by the TV and papers. They concentrate on the game and try their best the same as every other referee before a game anywhere. I'm not going to referee Morelos differently because I've seen him on telly. I'll have witnessed his behaviour before having seen it when I refereed him previously. I'll ref him based on what I see.

Genuine question, are you a referee yourself? I'm getting that impression.

Either way, I think it's beyond naive if you think a referee, who is human like the rest of us, won't be influenced by external factors, be that in the moment or indeed as part of a wider narrative. For instance, crowds at all grounds across Scotland scream and jump out of their seat every time Morelos fouls or is perceived to have done something. I've seen Morelos sent off a few times where it was unwarranted. Some, of course, were.

Take Gascoigne circa 1995 against Hibs as another example - do you think McCloskey would have booked any other player for jokingly booking him in a light hearted manner as the player was handing back the cards he himself had dropped? Or was McCloskey "just refereeing what he saw"? Of course he wasn't, he was booking Paul Gascoigne because it was Paul Gascoigne.

Take Gascoigne circa 1995 against Hibs as another example - do you think McCloskey would have booked any other player for jokingly booking him in a light hearted manner as the player was handing back the cards he himself had dropped? Or was McCloskey "just refereeing what he saw"? Of course he wasn't, he was booking Paul Gascoigne because it was Paul Gascoigne.

It was Dougie Smith that booked Gazza and it he wasnt booked because he was Gazza. IIRC the ref said years later didnt know what to do and booked him for dissent.

It was Dougie Smith that booked Gazza and it he wasnt booked because he was Gazza. IIRC the ref said years later didnt know what to do and booked him for dissent.

Whatever he booked him for, it was because it was Gazza.

It was a joke ffs. How anyone could have taken that as dissent is beyond me.

Just back from the game sportscene is fucking rotten to the core sands is a red the guy elbows sands nothing handball not a pen it might as well be kerrydale tv that fucking cunts ginger rangers reject and the fucking muppet mcfudden

I haven't watched Sportscene in about 15 years, and I shall continue in this way. Others should do the same as it's very easy to get highlights, goals etc on you tube.

Whatever he booked him for, it was because it was Gazza.

It was a joke ffs. How anyone could have taken that as dissent is beyond me.

Because he was an officious bastard and felt he had to do something. I was raging at the time, even Joe Tortalano thought it was a disgrace, but the ref was an arse nothing more.

Genuine question, are you a referee yourself? I'm getting that impression.

Either way, I think it's beyond naive if you think a referee, who is human like the rest of us, won't be influenced by external factors, be that in the moment or indeed as part of a wider narrative. For instance, crowds at all grounds across Scotland scream and jump out of their seat every time Morelos fouls or is perceived to have done something. I've seen Morelos sent off a few times where it was unwarranted. Some, of course, were.

It wasn’t McCluskey who was refereeing the game against Hibs that you refer to. The clown who booked Paul Gascoigne was a referee from Troon by the name of Smith.

Back