Squad Depth - Barrie McKay & Lewis MacLeod Both Out of Contract.

The fud McKay is persona non grata and will never play for Rangers again.I like LMc but a shame how it panned out for him due to injuries.

Correct.

Kai Kennedy should now be given a chance ahead of any notion of signing the likes of McKay or picking up players like Barker, Jones and Ojo who cost fortunes by comparison.

Same with McLeod. Don't buy guys like Polster or hang on to the likes of Halliday when Barjonas can offer just as much in the 5 games these players play each year.

We have had a handle on the youth setup now for long enough under Mulholland for it to be functioning to a decent level.

All the money saved can be put towards buying better quality for the first 15 players in the squad and Kennedy, Patterson, Maxwell and Barjonas etc make up the squad places.
Mayo and Dapo too.

Meh.

McKay and MacLeod were two of my favourite players over the last decade but there’s more than enough evidence to suggest that their time at Rangers should be left in the past.

Obviously, if McKay were to return it would be as backup winger. As an aside, I always thought he was better as an attacking midfielder in the middle, but we simply don’t need more squad players filling the books. I don’t rate a number of our squad options but replacing them with other ‘decent in Scotland, failed in England’ profiles isn’t what we need, we have a highly lauded youth academy and many of those lauded players are wingers, if we’re EVER going to actually make use of the academy it should be in situations like this instead of repeating the same failed strategy.

As for MacLeod, he simply hasn’t played enough games to prove definitively that he’s over his injury issues, and upon investigation at a surface value he doesn’t appear to contribute much in goals and assists, which is fine for him as a player as not every midfielder needs to be able to do that, but our midfield needs it. We already have 3 or 4 players in his profile who I would stick my neck out and say are better anyway, so he’s not needed. Also, a bit disingenuous in an early post when it was said he was the best in his position in the league when he was with us considering he was in the championship.

I usually despise the conversations about resigning ex players but I actually think that these two warrant a debate, they are both very good technically and still haven't reached their peak years.

I don't see the value in signing guys with the intention as using them as "squad players" I think that everyone needs to be good enough to challenge for first team places and these two are, at the same time they'll also understand not immediately being given a starting role due to their careers falling off a bit.

Compare them to our current options, McKay has already proven that he can be one of if not the best wingers in Scotland, he is certainly better than Jones and Barker. There will always be somewhat lazy "heart of a mouse" comments but the reality is that he always delivered in the big games. I'd much rather have him competing with Kent, he has quality and it would be inexpensive enough to allow funds to go elsewhere.

Lewis MacLeod on a free would be very good value when you consider how limited our options currently are, if Aribo is playing in the advanced role all of our number 8's are on the pitch leaving us with nothing on the bench, we genuinely need 2 or 3 to come in imo. He has stayed fit for a couple of years now so I think injury concerns are a thing of the past with him.

I'm not suggesting that either player greatly enhances the first 11 or should play every week, I do think they greatly increase our strength in depth though and that is where we are stll behind Celtic considerably.

Thoughts?
I’d rather give jones a go mate ,

Neither good enough or brave enough .

I’d rather give jones a go mate ,

Neither good enough or brave enough .
With respect mate, you can't deem McKay not good enough and imply that Jones is on the same post. McKay had one year in the top flight and did more than Jones has in 3 or 4

With respect mate, you can't deem McKay not good enough and imply that Jones is on the same post. McKay had one year in the top flight and did more than Jones has in 3 or 4
The difference is mate , that jones is already at Ibrox. I dunno if he is good enough , but think it’s worth a look .

For example , if he’d had the sample size of games that Ojo had , we’d know or at least have a better idea .

I really liked Barrie McKay , but I think , moving forward , we need men , players with balls , like Arfield, jack , dare I mention, Docherty, McCrorie

The difference is mate , that jones is already at Ibrox. I dunno if he is good enough , but think it’s worth a look .

For example , if he’d had the sample size of games that Ojo had , we’d know or at least have a better idea .

I really liked Barrie McKay , but I think , moving forward , we need men , players with balls , like Arfield, jack , dare I mention, Docherty, McCrorie
Jack is the only one of them with the technical ability to match, there might be a place for McCrorie given his age but that's a different conversation altogether.

Arfield's an intelligent player but is massively let down by his first touch and range of passing, Docherty has similar issues.

Jack is the only one of them with the technical ability to match, there might be a place for McCrorie given his age but that's a different conversation altogether.

Arfield's an intelligent player but is massively let down by his first touch and range of passing, Docherty has similar issues.
The missing ingredient in our team is guts , that’s why I mentioned the players I mentioned mate . We won’t win anything without them .

The missing ingredient in our team is guts , that’s why I mentioned the players I mentioned mate . We won’t win anything without them .
It's not mate, it's penetration.

We don't break down low blocks as consistently as Celtic do, you need players with the ability to play that special pass or make something happen out of nowhere. We need less Scott Arfields and more Joe Aribos

John McGinn probably has technical faults , but I’d have took him anall .

I bet hibs would like Docherty to replace him .

It's not mate, it's penetration.

We don't break down low blocks as consistently as Celtic do, you need players with the ability to play that special pass or make something happen out of nowhere. We need less Scott Arfields and more Joe Aribos
I disagree respectfully mate .

I like Aribo , Hagi ,him & Kent , Davis our full backs create plenty , we created enough chances to beat hearts, st Johnstone , Kilmarnock & Hamilton , Utah never beat any of them

I disagree respectfully mate .

I like Aribo , Hagi ,him & Kent , Davis our full backs create plenty , we created enough chances to beat hearts, st Johnstone , Kilmarnock & Hamilton , Utah never beat any of them
Creating enough chances to beat someone is totally subjective when we actually didn't beat them.

Far too often we rotate possession in our opponents final third because nobody is making any movement in behind or because someone over/underhit the final ball. Davis in particular is awful at this, all he has in his locker is a 20 yard chip that goes straight to the keeper.

When Morelos doesn't play well, we don't score. That's because we don't create enough clear cut chances

Creating enough chances to beat someone is totally subjective when we actually didn't beat them.

Far too often we rotate possession in our opponents final third because nobody is making any movement in behind or because someone over/underhit the final ball. Davis in particular is awful at this, all he has in his locker is a 20 yard chip that goes straight to the keeper.

When Morelos doesn't play well, we don't score. That's because we don't create enough clear cut chances
Apart from Hamilton , we were leading against hearts twice & killie & st Johnstone.

And were unable to bury them in the same way that Celtic do.
Septic win plenty games by the odd goal mate.

Not even counting the sheep draw when we were very poor , 3 points from hearts , killie & accies , & another 2 from st Johnstone, would see us be neck & neck with them .

Septic win plenty games by the odd goal mate.

Not even counting the sheep draw when we were very poor , 3 points from hearts , killie & accies , & another 2 from st Johnstone, would see us be neck & neck with them .
And if we were able to kill teams off, we would be.

Limited footballers that are forgiven becuase they're hard stopped being a thing everywhere but Scotland in the 90's, they're not going to help

What is the required standard? McKay was the best in his position in the league during his time with us.

As I said, not suggesting that he replaces Kent, who would you target in that area??

I don't know if this is a wind up.

McKay was the best in a lesser league.

In the lexicon of Rangers wingers McKay isn't even on the planet.

An absolute Roy Hud

Where are we going with our standards?

And if we were able to kill teams off, we would be.

Limited footballers that are forgiven becuase they're hard stopped being a thing everywhere but Scotland in the 90's, they're not going to help
I think Greg Stewart has a lot to offer , especially at Ibrox in tight games he’s got that wee 5 a side pass in his locker . We’re obviously behind septic they’ve spent years putting together a winning side , with hindsight , someone should have slapped Morelos before his ridiculous red card at the piggery , forcing Defoe to play 4 games in a row , getting injured then bang goes the pressure on Morelos from the bench .

I hope Stevie G is on it mate , I think the next shitebag performance will see him stranded in the last chance saloon.

What were his stats in 2016/17? Genuine question as can’t remember him standing out much at all

Get
I usually despise the conversations about resigning ex players but I actually think that these two warrant a debate, they are both very good technically and still haven't reached their peak years.

I don't see the value in signing guys with the intention as using them as "squad players" I think that everyone needs to be good enough to challenge for first team places and these two are, at the same time they'll also understand not immediately being given a starting role due to their careers falling off a bit.

Compare them to our current options, McKay has already proven that he can be one of if not the best wingers in Scotland, he is certainly better than Jones and Barker. There will always be somewhat lazy "heart of a mouse" comments but the reality is that he always delivered in the big games. I'd much rather have him competing with Kent, he has quality and it would be inexpensive enough to allow funds to go elsewhere.

Lewis MacLeod on a free would be very good value when you consider how limited our options currently are, if Aribo is playing in the advanced role all of our number 8's are on the pitch leaving us with nothing on the bench, we genuinely need 2 or 3 to come in imo. He has stayed fit for a couple of years now so I think injury concerns are a thing of the past with him.

I'm not suggesting that either player greatly enhances the first 11 or should play every week, I do think they greatly increase our strength in depth though and that is where we are stll behind Celtic considerably.

Thoughts?

Get a grip

What were his stats in 2016/17? Genuine question as can’t remember him standing out much at all
6 goals and 11 assists, Kent hasn't gotten anywhere close to that in two seasons in a much better team. They would push eachother, if it worked out it would be the shining example of why competition for places is a good thing. It's low risk enough to go for it imo

We need winners with quality who don’t hide when the going gets tough

neither of these two fit the bill

Some people seem to remember McKay a lot more fondly than me. A winger who barely scored or got assists and flashed up with the odd moment of brilliance followed by no effort the rest of the time. Someone said he was always brilliant against Celtic. Was he? He scored the screamer but apart from that?

No thanks from me.

For all people bang on about his performance against Celtic at Ibrox where he tore Lustig to shreds, by same token he got hooked at half time against them at the piggery by Murty in the 1-1 game. He didn't try a leg that day, it was a disgrace of a performance.

I will go against the grain and agree and agree with the OP. More so with McKay than McLeod.

Dependent on wages there would be a case for both.

I would be very strict with McLeods medical because we have had a lot of constantly injured players over the years, total waste of money.

McKay would be a good backup winger and is capable of game changing moves. He is certainly better than Barker and a better option than Ojo.

I will never forget his goals against them in the Semi and the Hivs in the Final, so Mckay, I also agree with.

What would the risk be with wee Barry?£7,000,000 for Kent is what you call a risk.Always liked wee Barry.

But:

1) Kent is levels above him
2) you also think Halliday is better than Barisic
3) you can’t even spell wee Barrie’s name
4) and the risk is a good wage since he’ll be earning good money in the championship, and that’s quite a big risk given he’s a gutless wee shite.

I was a fan of McKay and wondered whether the right manager could’ve shaped him into the player we all know is inside there somewhere.

Similarly, MacLeod looked to have all the raw materials in his locker.

Sadly McKay has continued to stall under a succession of managers and Lewis has been plagued by injury.

Both are 25yo. Perhaps if they were both still 20 then this would warrant further consideration.

It’s a no from me.

But:

4) and the risk is a good wage since he’ll be earning good money in the championship, and that’s quite a big risk given he’s a gutless wee shite.
Wait what?

We have now consolidated our place as the second best team in Scotland.
In order to make that change to be the best team we have to sign better players than Celtc have.
I’d like us to focus on a right back, a new central defender and a new midfielder and striker. All 4 should be better than what they have.

In order to make that change to be the best team we have to sign better players than Celtc have.
I’d like us to focus on a right back, a new central defender and a new midfielder and striker. All 4 should be better than what they have.

I agree that upgrading those positions you cited is a must if we are to overhaul Celtic. Easier said than done of course.

More importantly IMO, is for Rangers to improve in the critical areas of scouting and player development. We need do do a far better job in identifying and signing those players who:
a) will offer a clear improvement over what we already have.
b) will have the character and mentality to cope with how football is played in the SPL, and
c) do a much better job of integrating the top echelon of our youth development set-up into the 1st team squad.

For eg. we currently have 4 centre backs signed and on the books and not one of them, for whatever reason, is completely reliable. This represents a failure in scouting/player evaluation. We also signed players such as Jake Hastie and Jordan Jones for eg. who have barely featured - either they are or are not good enough for Rangers. If its the latter, it begs the question why were they signed? If they aren't deemed up to par, they should be moved out and replaced by the best of our home-grown talent.

I was a fan of McKay and wondered whether the right manager could’ve shaped him into the player we all know is inside there somewhere.

Similarly, MacLeod looked to have all the raw materials in his locker.

Sadly McKay has continued to stall under a succession of managers and Lewis has been plagued by injury.

Both are 25yo. Perhaps if they were both still 20 then this would warrant further consideration.

It’s a no from me.

A fair summary for me.

Add to that the possibility of us bringing McKay or MacLeod in and delaying the progress of say Kai Kennedy or Stephen Kelly and it's just a non-starter.

But:

Oh! Mr. knowalls back.:rolleyes:

I don't disagree with this, we should be targeting those positions as a priority.

The thing is, we are still incredibly weak in the wide areas bar Kent, we ideally need at least 2 to come in. Barrie McKay would be an inexpensive option who has already proven to be very good at this level on his day, we can splurge a bit more on the other target in this scenario

Back