St Johnstone no.34 - Daniel Phillips

Was impressed again today with him.

If we could get him for a decent fee, don’t see why not.

Would be used to physical side up here and looks like he could control a game.

Thought he looked a really tidy player today, had a few folk around me talking about him. Quick look on Wikipedia says he's 22, Trinidad & Tobago international and been through the youth system at Chelsea then Watford. Last time anybody from the diddy teams stood out out enough for me to notice them was a fella called Glen Kamara for Dundee.
Good player, played well against us when the sides last met at Ibrox too

He looked technically good, aggressive and built like a tank. Still very raw but you can see, he could develop into a decent CM.

He's just turned 22. Another 12-18 months at St. Johnstone and he could improve. We signed Kamara at 23 from a similar level side in Dundee. So I wouldn't write him off just because he is at St. Johnstone at 21/22.

One to keep an eye on and see how he develops over the next 12-18 months.

I've just come on to the forum here to post something about him -- like a few others I think that whilst he's not at the level to be starting for us atm, because he's used to the league and given the right coaching, he could definitely (and probably quite quickly) develop into a valuable player for us.

Even if it's only financially.

I thought he looked good. Aggressive, energy, decent skills and confidence to take players on.

Him plus McPherson looked good in my opinion.

Thought he looked a really tidy player today, had a few folk around me talking about him. Quick look on Wikipedia says he's 22, Trinidad & Tobago international and been through the youth system at Chelsea then Watford. Last time anybody from the diddy teams stood out out enough for me to notice them was a fella called Glen Kamara for Dundee.
Reminded me of Kamara with Dundee. Worth keeping an eye on but not go down well on here.

You cannot be serious. Starting a thread for this dumpling.

Some amount of people just say naw on here even if they don’t seem to have watched the game as it seems the in thing to do

Rather than saying “naw” say why…

He was good

Agreed. I've noticed him a couple of times now. He's definitely one worth keeping an eye on. At only 22 I reckon it's a no brainer to get him in during the summer if he continues playing well given how much he would cost.

I found myself getting annoyed with him as he was in the midst of everything. Once I had got over that I realised that he must be decent for me to have noticed him. He was one of those strange players that just breaks play up then becomes available and makes simple passes.

He bullied our midfield, and if we can’t get in Raskin before Tuesday, I really wouldn’t mind getting this guy!!
Exactly the sort of player we are missing, who was able to hold off challenges, glide past players, and make intelligent passes as well as putting a tackle when required.
He was lucky not to get sent off as the grab around Cantwell’s neck was clearly a yellow card.

Last 2 games I thought he’s been their best player. Was also impressed with #18 MacPherson. He had a good game today

2 good performances against us, very tidy.
It’s not against us that we need to base our opinion on, or against the scum either.
(I’d have looked good if I’d played against Rangers or Celtic!)
It has to be about how they play against everybody else.

Best player on the park last week and good today.

Says it all about our midfield.

Kamara was an absolute anomaly.

Not saying the lad will never be a player, but reckon he needs more top flight football under his belt.

He was a stand out last week so I watched him a bit closer today and was equally as impressed.

If 2 good games against us meant we should be signing them then we would have Nouble up front. It's too early to tell if he's good enough for us but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Quite liked the look of him, decent player. A bit rough around the edges at the moment for us. Worth keeping an eye on, only signed a two year deal recently.

He isn’t good enough to replace anyone in our squad so it would be a pointless signing, like many players their game raises above their normal level when they play us at Ibrox

That was my impressions of him aswell, he stuck out ,rode several challenges & never wasted a ball

I didn't think he looked like Kamara did at Dundee in those two games - a good touch and quite agile, but his passing was pretty poor.

Reminds me of the midfielder Dundee United had for a spell, Fuchs, who was also decent but not quite that level we'd look for.

He may very well improve with more games, unlike Fuchs who seemed to go backwards.

He made our midfielders look stupid at times with how easily he spun away from them. Definitely one to watch, but he lacks a bit of discipline, imo. Had a few challenges that should have been yellows.

Loved it whens part 2?

The guy was their standout player. Very good on the ball and was holding off two or three of our players at a time, using the ball well and seemed to have good feet.
Definitely worth keeping tabs on.

He was pretty good 2nd half technically very good and looks a player that would be better around better players. Not sure he's anything different to what we have already though.

If Collum done his job properly however he would have been off the pitch yesterday the grab around Cantwell and pulling him back was a clear yellow card. Tackle on Hagi through might not have happened if he had been booked but Hagi was right to react.

He was pretty good 2nd half technically very good and looks a player that would be better around better players. Not sure he's anything different to what we have already though.

If Collum done his job properly however he would have been off the pitch yesterday the grab around Cantwell and pulling him back was a clear yellow card. Tackle on Hagi through might not have happened if he had been booked but Hagi was right to react.
If collum done his job properly jack would have been off aswell

Agreed I thought he had a brilliant game.

He isn’t good enough to replace anyone in our squad so it would be a pointless signing, like many players their game raises above their normal level when they play us at Ibrox
He looked a lot better than Lundstram yesterday. Levels above him.

He looked very good, if he plays like that every game I'm sure we'll have an eye on him. I did think he was lucky not to have picked up a yellow sooner which might have changed how he was playing.

A few times he weaved through a few of ours and got the ball away.

They’re best player yesterday and probably the best player on the pitch second half. Bit of a tank just bulldozes his way through and we found it very difficult to get near him. For a cheap punt to improve, I’d say yes.

I only got to watch the second half yesterday and to me he was a standout for them. Composed on the ball, worked well in tight spaces with quick feet, decent passer of the ball, strong, not afraid to take people on. I think he is one we should be keeping an eye on and potentially making a move for.

The snobs will be along to tell us he is shite. Same guys that would've said not to sign Jack or Kamara.

Seems like everyone has noticed him this last few games and are in agreement he’s one to watch. Rare to get such agreement on a rival player

It’s not against us that we need to base our opinion on, or against the scum either.
(I’d have looked good if I’d played against Rangers or Celtic!)
It has to be about how they play against everybody else.
I dont quite follow your logic? Playing against better players would make you look good? B-D

I get what you mean in a way that players raise their levels usually - but they are also usually found out against better players.

I’m not advocating signing him, just impressed with his possession retention, recycling the ball and overall composure on the ball.

Back