St Mirren Director John Needham Makes Derogatory/Sectarian Tweets About Our Club And Support

Pretty surprised at this as I've played golf with John a number of times and never heard anything like the tweets from him

Disappointed with him as I used to go out with his daughter and he always seemed a good guy

That is disappointing as I was hoping he was not a St Mirren director.

I just cannot get my head round anyone posting comments like that but a director of a football club.

I doubt he would have said anything like that to a Rangers fan face so why post it for the whole world to see.

I always tend to judge these things by flipping them and considering what the reaction would be. So, imagine Douglas Park or any other Rangers director had said this?

Yeah. We pretty much know how it goes. Headline news. Widespread condemnation from everyone up to government ministers. Wall to wall coverage.

Something needs to be done about this surely ? Have our board been made aware , I’m sure Stewart robertson will be interested to see these words from the chairman of another club ? @Greg Marshall

Not remotely surprising. From a quick scan the Sevco stuff is petty and immature but not sure it’s anything more than that.

The huns stuff is typical of Scotland. It’s such an accepted term by many despite all the evidence to the contrary. For example if in a workplace you called someone a ‘19th Century Terrorist’ you would be sacked without a thought. If you called someone a ‘hun’, I’m guessing it would be a more drawn out process with a far greater chance of a slap on the wrists.

The bridge tweet is the one very very poor tweet. Wishing death on thousands of football fans because of their team is disgusting.

That all said as another poster has said. Flip it 180 to a rangers director and watch all hell break loose.

Not remotely surprising. From a quick scan the Sevco stuff is petty and immature but not sure it’s anything more than that.

The huns stuff is typical of Scotland. It’s such an accepted term by many despite all the evidence to the contrary. For example if in a workplace you called someone a ‘19th Century Terrorist’ you would be sacked without a thought. If you called someone a ‘hun’, I’m guessing it would be a more drawn out process with a far greater chance of a slap on the wrists.

The bridge tweet is the one very very poor tweet. Wishing death on thousands of football fans because of their team is disgusting.

That all said as another poster has said. Flip it 180 to a rangers director and watch all hell break loose.
In my old workplace just before I retired two men in their 30s were dismissed for a heated argument in front of a manager with the specific terms you speak of used against each other. Both were treated the exact same. I’d imagine most modern HR departments would be the same. If it feels unequal maybe it’s because we ourselves don’t report it enough. Under the law, it’s the exact same

Surprised to read that stuff from John. Met him a couple of times albeit briefly through work & didn't get that impression at all

Surprised to read that stuff from John. Met him a couple of times albeit briefly through work & didn't get that impression at all
Who does he work for now ? Would be interesting to hear his employers views on hate speech. I know he was at RBS before st Mirren . Perhaps he’s fulltime at st Mirren ?

I long for the day that twitter tweets is giving the disdain and irrelevance that they deserve but in the current climate then this guy should be held to the same scrutiny as others were.

He's a celtic fan that's also a chairman and made comments with his bastardised club in mind, its nothing more than that. I'm sure he doesn't really want the bridge to collapse to kill Rangers fans.

I long for the day that twitter tweets is giving the disdain and irrelevance that they deserve but in the current climate then this guy should be held to the same scrutiny as others were.

He's a celtic fan that's also a chairman and made comments with his bastardised club in mind, its nothing more than that. I'm sure he doesn't really want the bridge to collapse to kill Rangers fans.
I’m sure that will work well the old “ I didn’t really mean it “ excuse :rolleyes:

In my old workplace just before I retired two men in their 30s were dismissed for a heated argument in front of a manager with the specific terms you speak of used against each other. Both were treated the exact same. I’d imagine most modern HR departments would be the same. If it feels unequal maybe it’s because we ourselves don’t report it enough. Under the law, it’s the exact same

That’s actually very reassuring to read. I could be basing my opinion on out dated thought but in my 20 years working life as a professional in financial services I have witnessed ‘hun’ thrown about as a joke term non stop (edinburgh rather than Glasgow office to be fair). Never once heard ‘19th Century Terrorist’.

Also saw someone once get a ‘Xmas Hun Box’ in their secret Santa…

That’s actually very reassuring to read. I could be basing my opinion on out dated thought but in my 20 years working life as a professional in financial services I have witnessed ‘hun’ thrown about as a joke term non stop (edinburgh rather than Glasgow office to be fair). Never once heard ‘19th Century Terrorist’.

Also saw someone once get a ‘Xmas Hun Box’ in their secret Santa…
And you’ve heard and saw all that happen and never once challenged it , and no doubt many others the same. That’s why it’s “ thrown about” non stop. You throw about” 19th Century Terrorist “ and see how quickly your friends/colleagues report you.

You must see here the problem , collectively we are the problem for allowing it to go unchallenged. We have been too soft for far too long

Who does he work for now ? Would be interesting to hear his employers views on hate speech. I know he was at RBS before st Mirren . Perhaps he’s fulltime at st Mirren ?

Not sure. He will probably have positions on a few boards as a non exec.

He was certainly on the board of the chartered banker institute in Scotland. Might even have been chair

If he is and these are actual comments he should be charged by the sfa.

But if they are his comments we know the sfa will do sfa.

It will go the way of the daily record investigation.

Why oh why oh fkng why do our support give these cCnuts money take no tickets and give them nothing.He’s obviously still hurting that Terry Munro never occurred.

Not sure. He will probably have positions on a few boards as a non exec.

He was certainly on the board of the chartered banker institute in Scotland. Might even have been chair
Well you met him recently you said through work, who did he work for when you met him ? We can email a complaint to them if we know this information.

Back