St Mirren try to justify their position on ticketing

I would actually like to see a rule brought in that says you have to demonstrate that you have tried to maximise attendance at every game otherwise you lose a bit of prize money.

Clubs can do whatever they want to try and bring their own fans in, but if they can't then they need to open it up to the opposition.

This makes the product on the TV look much better with full(er) stadiums, and improves revenue throughout the game. Leaving aside amy advantage to us, it's better for the Scottish league all round.

So St Mirren would argue that they have sold more season tickets because of it and gates are generally up. Looking at the attendances outside of the Old Firm games pre-Covid to this season, they are up for sure by around 500 per game.

3 x Old Firm games used to net them £340,000. Now they'd net them £146,000. Based on previous allocation of broadly 3,787 versus now of 1,633.

So they have £200,000 to make up. 500 seats, 16 games outside of the Old Firm at home, £240,000.

So factually, they are not being hit financially.

Of course, they're doing well. Should they slide, attendances will slide..... and that's their issue.

I think its mental that you have a business that turns away customers like this

Football/Sports in general, not just St Mirren

Maybe as we get more digital, seats could be issued like a day or 2 digitally before an event to allow segregation to take place or something similar, but having empty seats when people want to pay to sit in them is just madness

Rangers/Celtic/Hearts would likely fill every stadium's empty seats every week no problem

Fair play to them. They are trying to grow their own support and will no doubt save a few bob on policing and stewarding by cutting the Old Firm's allocation. Their stadium, their choice.

That’s why they are Diddy clubs …. Commercial sense is non existent with these clubs

They have no interest in promoting our game … they don’t get that half empty grounds on tv turns sponsors and investment off
I wondered how long it would take before the rubbish ‘diddy club’ patter would emerge.

They don’t need to justify anything. It’s their stadium and their income. It may well be suicidal, but it’s up them. %^*& them.

I think I'd get it if they were challenging for stuff. But they aren't and being in the top flight gives them a chance at 4 full houses (even at a premium price) against us and the filth where the game is widely considered by them as a free hit. I know we can point at occasional wins here and there, but it doesn't make sense financially, emotionally, maybe. But emotions won't pay the bills.

I’ve said it before, I think that other supporters are getting fed up with their home games turning into quasi home games for the OF when they play us or them. Obv the boards have looked at it and decided they can make the figures work, allocation is then cut.

Personally I don’t care about the “look on tv” there’s plenty of games down south and abroad with less than full stands.

I think I'd get it if they were challenging for stuff. But they aren't and being in the top flight gives them a chance at 4 full houses (even at a premium price) against us and the filth where the game is widely considered by them as a free hit. I know we can point at occasional wins here and there, but it doesn't make sense financially, emotionally, maybe. But emotions won't pay the bills.
There's a post above that says they're not losing any money at all.

There's a post above that says they're not losing any money at all.
It's not about losing money it's about maximising your revenue opportunity. As a fan I suppose I'd expect my team to do what they are doing, but as I said thats an emotional decision.

This way of thinking is what’s holding Scottish football back.

Broadcasting companies are not paying top dollar to televise half empty stadiums.

The SPFL rules should be changed to ensure that stadiums are full at every opportunity whether home or away fans.

Last edited:
Its up them, but the more clubs that do this weakens the argument that they need four trips a season from old firm clubs for revenue

Lets see how they would react to an 18 team league with only one home game a season against them and us guaranteed
100% agreed, but time for this was when we in lower leagues as can’t use 4 old firm game crap sky want

Their ground, their support. Clubs can do what they like. If they are happy to forgo revenue that is their problem. St Mirren probably feel their decision is vindicated by taking 4 points from their two home games against us and Celtic this season.

No different from us looking after our own.

The only differentiation is that Rangers can sell all their own tickets. As has been said before though, we have smaller clubs ignoring a potential revenue stream.

Once, it affects performance or squad quality let's see how secure Keith's position might be.

It's up to them what they do, but from a business perspective it's lunacy.

As a poster has mentioned, condense their own fans together instead of having 100 people sporadically spread out in a stand that houses thousands.

But that's the Scottish mentality, they come out with the pish that a big away support is an advantage to the away team, then you head players saying they switch off from the crowds and/or enjoy playing in front of big crowds.

Idiotic approach by them.

They do what they think is best for THEIR clubs in THEIR situations. The term ‘diddy club’ is disrespectful and unbecoming of a proper supporter of Rangers , a club which would not refer to another club in such a way.
A club who encourages swathes of empty seats in their ground while starving themselves of hundreds of thousand in income every season is the very epitome of a diddy club.

They do what they think is best for THEIR clubs in THEIR situations. The term ‘diddy club’ is disrespectful and unbecoming of a proper supporter of Rangers , a club which would not refer to another club in such a way.
Like turning away hundreds of thousands of pounds in revenue is the best for THEIR club …

As an aside .. what respect do these clubs show us exactly ??

Professional Football must be one of the few businesses in the world where the owners do not try to maximise profit and take a financial loss.

I have no problem with clubs like Hearts reducing away allocations to fill with their own supporters, but to leave stands empty is utterly ludicrous.

Failure to maximise gate receipts results in poor decision-making elsewhere - it’s the reason league titles can be decided over zoom, for example, and sponsorship deals can be signed off for many years.

Did they not have more at games against us and celtic this season than games last season Where we had two stands.

They made more money from the games v us and celtic than the fixtures last season, can some people on here not get that through their thick heads, and let it go.

By not turning it in to an away fixture for them did they not beat celtic and draw with us.

St Mirren quite easily sell out their allocation at Ibrox and could take more tickets than we give them.

They can
Do what they want in their own stadium but they shouldn’t expect to get a seat at the negotiating table when they aren’t doing anything to promote and improve the game

Failure to maximise gate receipts results in poor decision-making elsewhere - it’s the reason league titles can be decided over zoom, for example, and sponsorship deals can be signed off for many years.
Like turning away hundreds of thousands of pounds in revenue is the best for THEIR club …

As an aside .. what respect do these clubs show us exactly ??

St Mirren v Rangers, with us two stands last season 6,100

St Mirren v Rangers, with us one stand 6,358

Tell me exactly where that isn’t good business sense particularly when their fans voted for it and agreed to pay an additional £30 each.

Tell me exactly where that isn’t good business sense particularly when their fans voted for it and agreed to pay an additional £30 each.

Mine was actually a general point, rather than aimed specifically at St Mirren.

Need to take your word for those figures mate … surprising if true

In any event … a club with an 8000 capacity who can’t sell it out, whether they give us 2 stands or not are the epitome of a diddy club

Lot of criticism here of a club that's attendances are up and having their best season in years.

Fair play to them for taking a jump and trying something.

It'll kill the league as a European entity eventually and I just hope we've found away out of it by then.

A lot of bitterness on this thread.

Ironically their attendances have went up on most of their games including games against us and the Tim’s.

Seems to be working for them so far.

A lot of bitterness on this thread.

Ironically their attendances have went up on most of their games including games against us and the Tim’s.

Seems to be working for them so far.

I wouldn’t call it bitterness it’s more like entitlement which is still not a great trait for any support. I think some fans forget Rangers did exactly the same at Ibrox over the years in reducing away fan allocations.

However I think the attendances are going up as St Mirren doing well atm they will lose money when the form starts dipping again i would wager but they know there will always be a host of OF fans on hand to buy tickets if the allocation goes up again.

The idea of saying “we were losing money before we decided to stop selling as many tickets, gotcha” is certainly a new one.

Ultimately up to them, Scottish football does have a breed of supporter who absolutely hates us and far too few a volume of supporters who actually go to the games, but hey-ho.

That’s why they are Diddy clubs …. Commercial sense is non existent with these clubs

They have no interest in promoting our game … they don’t get that half empty grounds on tv turns sponsors and investment off

See I would argue that it’s makes it even more ridiculous that the home teams stadium is full of away fans.

Fair play to them if they make it work. The league should be an 18 team league and the small teams should not have to reply on our money to survive.

Your Corinthian stance is admirable amigo, but St Mirren are merely a diddy club. And we are the Rangers.

Need to take your word for those figures mate … surprising if true

In any event … a club with an 8000 capacity who can’t sell it out, whether they give us 2 stands or not are the epitome of a diddy club
I take it you're from Fife?

Back