Steven Gerrard- “I’m open to suggestions”

This is a little concerning on two fronts.

Firstly he is right about how bad our discipline record has been this season but does he need to say this in public?

Again has he just thrown Greegsy under the bus to which the media are now describing this as happening with McGregor all the time!
‘He needs anger management!’ etc……

I am not condoning McGregor’s action which seems ridiculous but again is the manager not being too happy to give the media more unnecessary headlines?

I honestly don’t know which way to go with this…

Maybe he is at the end of his tether with both Morelos' and McGregors lack of discipline this season, I know I am.

Morelos gets a little bit more slack due to his age.

For all we know, Gerrard has maybe tried everything behind the scenes.

Let's be honest, it is pretty hard to defend or play down what our keeper did yesterday.

Agree with this McGregor was an idiot and as kicks to an opponent go it was hardly likely to hurt or injure his opponent but it was a red card all day long and for an experienced player he should know better.

However the post quoted is spot on and sums up how the Mhedia in this country is silenced and toes the party line with all things Mhank
Gordon twice ran out of the box assaulted players kicking one in the head if I remember and no red card shown for either if my memory serves correctly

It's the difference between us and them.

We hold our own to account.

They turn a blind eye.

Are you not supposed to be providing a video that shows McGregors innocence?

We're waiting....
Is that shit stirring police in your photo?
No one said he was innocent. I said the Hibs player brought his studs down towards McGregor inside our box. When our keeper had the ball.
I said he's not just decided to be a wank, he is watching folk injure our players and trying to and getting no protection from anyone, anywhere.
I didn't say the answer was a poofy kick out.
Unfortunately the whole game isn't available from usual source (yet, if it'll appear) it's only heavily cut highlights which don't show it.

SG will be a different manager next year regarding discipline. He has had to deal with all sorts of shit up here with the joke of a so called media, some of our players have let him down and are pounced on every time they do, he will be a lot harder next year.

Steven Gerrard has had a lifetime in the media spotlight; he has also had more media training than I've had hot dinners.

I don't think there is anything I or, can I suggest, anyone on FF can teach Steven Gerrard about how to handle the media.

He is learning his trade as a football manager. He is, however, very accomplished in front of the camera or dealing with hack Scottish journalists.

Sometimes it’s better to say nothing as the mhedia up here will sensationalise twist it anyway they can maybe has been dealt with appropriately by the club next question answer

Firstly he is right about how bad our discipline record has been this season but does he need to say this in public?

Again has he just thrown Greegsy under the bus to which the media are now describing this as happening with McGregor all the time!

I am not condoning McGregor’s action which seems ridiculous but again is the manager not being too happy to give the media more unnecessary headlines?

He hasn't thrown anyone under the bus, how the %^*& can he defend Mcgregor?

What a load of pish, down there with your claim Gerrard doesn't 'get it yet'.

Mcgregor deserved all the negative headlines he got today.

Often joke when watching Rangers that Shagger must be one of the angriest footballers in Scotland...in the first half he was gesticulating to the ref and nothing of note seemed to have happened.

McGregor deserves all he gets after Sunday.
Including being thrown under the bus.
He left us badly exposed on Sunday, he misses the next game and against the scum when he’d have been a mainstay for us.
In saying that, I love Gerrard’s honesty but, and I’ve posted this before, he has to realise this honesty is very unilateral and a one way street.

McGregor has a screw loose,I understand caring about the the team yada yada but screaming and shouting like a mad man does him and his manager no service at all.

McGregor could have been sent off nearly as many times as Alfie this season, some seem happy to slate Alfie, yet seem to get their knickers in a twist when it comes to people slating McGregor.
He got what he deserved yesterday, and that should be followed up with a hefty fine for his stupidity, he should also be made to publicly apologise to the fans, and his team mates
Imagine if shagger had left it till next week against the scum and done it then!

I prefer our manager being brutally honest, it’s one of his many positive traits. No bulls*it, just his honest opinions. I respect that more than a manager playing it safe. And I’d imagine most players would too.

McGregor was daft kicking out like that yesterday and any criticism by the manager is entirely justified. We now miss an important, experienced player next week. No need for that, McGregor has that daftness in his character but should be experienced enough to control it.

McGregor should fined 2 weeks wages for yesterdays escapade. Going forward players must be told about their discipline and if they step out of line with silly bookings or sending offs they should suffer the maximum financial penalty. Next season we cannot indulge selfish behaviour, the beasts must be stopped and we can only do that with our strongest team and 11 men on the park.

Sorry but McGregor threw himself under the bus. Great keeper but that on Sunday was soooo stupid!

I like McGregor as much as the next fan but what he done was indefensible. Moment of madness and Gerrard had no choice but to call him out.

The media will print whatever they want regardless

The cold hard truth is we have had 9 red cards this season and the majority of them have been completely avoidable.

Mcgregor let himself down big style on Sunday and it's not the first time this season he's had stupid kick outs at players having already been banned for one that was completely avoidable and got away with another one or 2 silly ones

He's one of our most experienced players and shouldn't be getting involved knowing fine well card happy referees are just looking any excuse

If your player is stupid enough to deliberately kick another player when his back is turned and then fain injury like a total fanny what else can a decent moral Glasgow Rangers manager say. OR would you rather watch your captain deliberately kick the leagues top striker when his back is turned to provoke a reaction, watch your captain deliberately wind up the opposition players and support and then tell every person in the media your captain is innocent and a poor victim. I know what type of person I want to manage Rangers.

Gerrard said he is open to suggestions from anywhere …after McGregor’s sending off how to fix the players indiscipline.
Hence the media frenzy to now highlight our indiscipline but also the fact that our manager in his own words doesn’t know how to fix it!
Does seem like a daft thing for Gerrard to come away with tbh.

He’s right to call I’ll discipline out.

Far as I can tell he’s more or less just said, it’s a red. Be more embarrassing imo if he said otherwise.

he should call it out but do it behind closed doors and to the player, he has the issue with. I don't think the manager of ours should be giving the media the headlines they crave.

Gerrard's got to play the game up here, calling out any indiscipline is part of the game. My bet would be Gerrard telling the players to channel that indispline into controlled aggression, but wise up and be clever with it too.

Players discipline is as important as their performances. If their discipline isn’t of the right manner then they are going to cause the team problems , just the same as poor performers .

If your player is stupid enough to deliberately kick another player when his back is turned and then fain injury like a total fanny what else can a decent moral Glasgow Rangers manager say. OR would you rather watch your captain deliberately kick the leagues top striker when his back is turned to provoke a reaction, watch your captain deliberately wind up the opposition players and support and then tell every person in the media your captain is innocent and a poor victim. I know what type of person I want to manage Rangers.
Great words mate,I'm with you,

McGregor is 37 not 22. He deserves every bad word written about him. He’s done this throughout both his spells with us & hasn’t learned his lesson, at least when I say that about Morelos I can take into account that he’s 15 years younger than McGregor.

What’s Gerrard meant to do when asked directly about and issue he’s had to deal with on probably close to double figures this season from mainly Morelos and at least twice now McGregor.

McGregor is throwing himself under the bus, by acting like a complete rocket anytime he goes to collect a ball. There's absolutely no need for him lashing out at opposition players, but he chooses to do it anyway.

Gerrard said he is open to suggestions from anywhere …after McGregor’s sending off how to fix the players indiscipline.
Hence the media frenzy to now highlight our indiscipline but also the fact that our manager in his own words doesn’t know how to fix it!
Is it possible that he's turning the question back on the hacks?

They pass judgement, and are quick to write the answers as they see it, but want him to tell them so they can ridicule, so instead of playing the game they want, he's staying one step ahead as always?

FWIW, McGregor deserves to be under the bus in my view.

I think the one thing Gerrard has tried to do consistently is raise the level of professionalism at the club. It must do his head in that arguably the two best players at the club, even after he raised it as being a club issue months ago, have gone out of there way to be unprofessional and make a fool of him while repeatedly letting him, their team mates and the fans down.

A rookie manager having to deal with a pair of clowns, albeit talented clowns. You can’t help but feel for him.

McGregor threw himself and could have been the team under the bus! It’s indefensible, what exactly is he to say? McGregor has ran a fine line in a few games and it’s not good enough. As for the disciplinary record, facts are fact, it needs to be better. Remember when he’s talking to the press he’s also talking to us as fans and while we know the score with refs we’ve had some avoidable reds and yesterday was one. Before we play them too, Fod is not the best IMO.

That’s why he’s the backup goalie mate. But for a backup he's pretty damned good.

From what I saw of the interview following the game, Gerrard stated that he’d spoken to the team before the game about their discipline and that he’d defend his players if required.

He also and quite rightly said that we wouldn’t be contesting his red.

As someone who has a number of people under my wing, I think he’s absolutely right. Young guys/girls are always going to get into scrapes no matter what job you do but you expect your elder statesmen to screw the nut.

Last edited:

For me, this is what the transfer list is for. What would Walter Smith do. Think back to Goram? How times do the same players have to be discussed and let the manager and us down?

Does anyone else find it amusing? :))
Greegsy's been at it all season, clearly dealing with some anger management issues, but so what, the league was over, he's never really cost us,
I thought the kick was pretty hilarious the way he went down as if he'd been attacked by the boy's back,
He's got to be a bit embarrassed, but no big deal for me. All great keepers seem to be a bit mental :)

It doesn’t matter whether I believe in it or not…I don’t think we need any more negative headlines!

The media are at a frenzy over this and personally I dont like reading this crap and what’s more a headline coming from our own camp!
We have planty of haters out there with there own headlines with us even giving them more!

Probably easier for you to stop reading rags that will print negative headlines regardless than it is for the manager to magic up a cure for indiscipline or some mental believable positive story they could have printed instead.

It isn't even remotely comparable to Goram.

At the end of the day, it appears that he can't be trusted to behave as instructed by SG and we lose him for a vital game due to selfish and aggressive behaviour. I only meant that with Goram as a firm fans favourite could be listed after crossing the boss, then Alan can have no complaints

At the end of the day, it appears that he can't be trusted to behave as instructed by SG and we lose him for a vital game due to selfish and aggressive behaviour. I only meant that with Goram as a firm fans favourite could be listed after crossing the boss, then Alan can have no complaints

Yes, but it's not comparable when it comes to him being placed on the transfer list as the obvious solution.

Goram had become an unprofessional bevvy merchant who was taking the absolute piss out of Smith

McGregor threw his manager under the bus acting like a clown yesterday
Exactly,how can Stevie legislate for that,he would have been fuming at that. The guy will get it sorted but keep it in house,which is the way it should be. No need for alarm, they'll all have their own professional pride and I think Greegs will be mortified.

....and he does seem to have anger issues. How many times have we seen him ranting at officials this season?

Cut it out Greegsy.

More of our players should do that. That’s not the issue - kicking out and other fly moves against the opposition is the issue.

Settle down

He says too much at times, and I’d times I’d feel he’s chucked the players under the bus a bit.

But don’t have any issue with him taking about McGregor like that, the guy let us all down and embarrassed us too, he needs to take his medicine just like Morelos did.

I haven't seen the incident but in all accounts he fully deserved a red card going on the comments on the forum , he has been lucky in the past when he has came out with his studs high, he has every right to come out and defend himself but sometimes it's indefensible. And to slate Gerrard for his comment what should he have done? Say he never seen it like all the other managers have done when asked. We slate them and rightly so.

Back