Steven Gerrard has restored Rangers global 'respect' and deserves place among Ibrox legends insists John Greig

During the Pedro debacle, my boss at the time who was one of them was insistent that we needed to get Derek McInnes in. I was adamant I didn't want him, especially the fact that that's what they wanted bit just didn't rate his football style at all anyway, didn't know who I wanted. Still remember the night on here where we heard Stevie G was rumoured strongly and it just felt right for some reason, on here, bit also with matesi spoke too at the time despite him being a youth coach. Took time but he delivered and then some. Legend

During the Pedro debacle, my boss at the time who was one of them was insistent that we needed to get Derek McInnes in. I was adamant I didn't want him, especially the fact that that's what they wanted bit just didn't rate his football style at all anyway, didn't know who I wanted. Still remember the night on here where we heard Stevie G was rumoured strongly and it just felt right for some reason, on here, bit also with matesi spoke too at the time despite him being a youth coach. Took time but he delivered and then some. Legend
I had one that said we should be happy with Murty. Well guess what motherfuckers...

Reactions: TQ3
In total agreement with our greatest ever Ranger.
I get it tight from some mank supporters that a player like Greig could be our greatest ever player.
Comparing him to their choice and their respective styles.
Whilst they’re besmirching Greig, I actually praise Johnstone’s onfield skills then remind them of two things.
Firstly that their greatest player wouldn’t have got a game for Rangers, proven by the fact that their own greatest manager picked our player ahead of their greatest player.
Then, I tell them them that Greig was, as I call it, more than the sum of his parts.
More than just a player.
If not our most successful manager, then still one of our greatest leaders and a man who did nothing, not one thing, to besmirch the name of our club.
Unlike their greatest ever player AND greatest ever manager.
John Greig is deserving of our choice.
He wouldn’t have been the unanimous choice, nobody would have, but along with our Founding Fathers, the other players who got us started, managers like Wilton and Struth, Symon and Smith, and all the great players over the decades, he’d be in every top ten selected.

Last edited:
Gerrard and his staff have done fantastic things for our club. I think we, the fans, deserve credit also. After 2 seasons without a trophy, lesser clubs (you all know who I mean) would have been baying for blood, however, we rightly gave him our patience and we've been rewarded greatly. Here's to more success.

We were lucky with Mr Gerrard. We could have ended up McInnes. I think SG has ‘got’ Rangers and the only way he’d ever leave is for his Liverpool, in many years time.
If we’d got McInnes, we’d have played our first Europa Conference game by now and might still be looking for new manager.
Maybe even a replacement for McInnes’s replacement.

Reactions: TQ3
John Greig was Rangers manager when I started going to Ibrox. They were not good times but I have always had huge respect for him. He is always worth listening to. He could not be more right about Gerrard.

Am I being greedy hoping Gerrard sticks around for three?
If you’re being greedy, I am beyond gluttonous.
I’m looking at ten.

When big Greig talks u listen.
Gerrard's name should be on that Legends board. There's not many players/managers that have god status among the fans n Gerrard is one of them.

One thing is certain Gerrard is laying the foundations for a prolonged period of success and he's certainly instilling a winning mentality throughout the club.
Absolutely.
Some of the messages he tries to convey uses similar language as Souness did on his arrival and subsequently.
Things like the league win being history now and its onwards we go.
Souness’s first words at the on pitch interview after our League Cup win in ‘86 were “that’s history”.
Bears who were around at that time may well recognise the similarities between the two.

It's actually a depressing thought that he will leave one day. There's been such an I provender 9ver the last three years.

We could have had McInnes ffs.

Enjoy it whilst it's here bears
When Gerrard leaves I'll be like Kate Winslet in Titanic floating on that bit of wood trying to shout "Come back!!" to that rescue boat, only struggling through my devastation and tears.

When Mr John Greig speaks ,we all listen.You have to agree the standards are ge set every week on and off the fields.Like all posters previously I hope we realise how lucky we are to have S.G. and the board that back him.We all remember the black days now remember the silver days.

I get it tight from some mank supporters that a player like Greig could be our greatest ever player.
Greatest ever Ranger, and greatest ever player are 2 entirely different things.

I don't think Greig was either, but he was the greatest ever Ranger in my lifetime...not greatest ever player player in my lifetime. His leadership during their domination was outstanding, and dragged us out of despair on many an occasion, not least of all in 1972 and 1973 ECWC and SC wins.

Greig carried us on his back for years, in more ways than one, and then dragged other Legends into the promised land of 2 trebles and a double in 3 years.

Greig is a Rangers legend from his early days, through his trophy less days, into his European glory and Treble days.

When he approves of our manager, I listen.

I approved anyway, but my opinion is fu ck all!

:))

Back