Steven Gerrard is following the Dick Advocaat Rangers blueprint and that's bad news for the rest - Barry Ferguson

Probably but that team cost a fortune. While I loved watching advocaat’s team at the time, I now look back at that time of us throwing money at players anytime we dropped a point and it was that era which effectively caused us to go into the mess we found ourselves in.
In terms of the article it’s fair enough and a change to see us getting a bit of praise so I won’t criticise it. Although I still really wish the tabloid newspapers would just disappear.

It seemed at the time that we were paying at least a 5 million base fee for everyone, incredible when you think about it. It's like us paying 20 million for every player we get now.

Falls into the same bracket as Boyd. Rightly criticises parts of what we’re doing over the seasons but get hammered despite there being solid foundations to what they’re saying.

Now we look like we have something to look forward to and it’s an automatic response that they’re are just giving credit because we are looking like being in a good position again.

Can’t they just have an opinion, even if it is not positive regarding us?

Too many fans want to hear anything other than the truth. They’re bigging our club up for a reason. Because it looks good just now. They want that as much as your everyday fan despite what you read about them.
For a highly successful former Club captain, there is a way to be constructive and even critical. We have and had enough detractors over the last few years, without former players joining in. I just think he got it wrong by jumping on that bandwagon when the Club needed support.
He didn’t pitch up with any sort of encouragement when the chips were down, but wants to now things seem to have improved.
Nor should he expect praise for supporting the Club now, amid memories of the boot going in when we least needed it.

I like reading Barry's articles on here.

Actually, I think the vast majority of time - he's spot on.

Each to their own.

No, stress.

I’ve no time for Ferguson any more. As @SenoraCuellar mentions, he’s only saying positive stuff about the club now that we look like a decent threat. If he was one that stood up and defended us when we needed it, then he would have a far better standing, but as it stands my views are “thanks for the memories”, but I don’t want to hear him say a word about the club again.

No, he was brutally honest about us last season and before. His comments echoed what a lot on here say, people just don’t like it because he’s not blowing smoke up their arses.

I’d rather we had ex players calling a spade a spade than pandering to us like Sutton, hartson etc do for them.

As per this thread will only go one way. You wonder why people who don’t like him even bother opening the thread let alone commenting on it. It must stick bad in some posters throats that he’s a treble winning Rangers Captain.

Just watch all the turncoats and haters trying to be nice over the next couple of months. Makes me sick. Fcuk of to all that family.

Barrys record on newspaper rambles is not great 1 positive 10 anti or negative.
Theres not been a lot to be positive about over the last few years. He tells it as it is. Now we are finally looking like a real team is it a crime for him to say so. Hes a fan like the rest of us and will celebrate like the rest of us when were back winning silverware

I loved watching Barry as a player but never took to him through whatever public persona we see of players as much as I did with Gough, Laudrup or numerous others.

I couldn't really care less what he thinks these days. He's stuck in the Scottish media bubble and makes noises when it suits him and them.

He's like a modern Derek Johnstone.

This is what I came onto post.

You’ll notice everyone who has bad mouthed us slowly start to praise us the closer we win something.

They know 55 is coming.

It’s like if a person is kicking someone when they are down in a fight .... all of a sudden the person gets up and wants to fight again. So the original kicker starts wanting hugs instead. Cowards

...Aye, that’s exactly what it’s like. :oops:

What's wrong with it?
Too many folk just see the name Barry Ferguson and criticise.
If that was written by Neil McCann or Kevin Thomson folk would be purring about it.
Aye but it wasn't
Falls into the same bracket as Boyd. Rightly criticises parts of what we’re doing over the seasons but get hammered despite there being solid foundations to what they’re saying.

Now we look like we have something to look forward to and it’s an automatic response that they’re are just giving credit because we are looking like being in a good position again.

Can’t they just have an opinion, even if it is not positive regarding us?

Too many fans want to hear anything other than the truth. They’re bigging our club up for a reason. Because it looks good just now. They want that as much as your everyday fan despite what you read about them.
When was the last time Ferguson went to a Rangers game?

Where was his support during the bad times?

4 wins in a row stat is crap
Only way they can come up with that is presumably including a draw in a friendly
We've played 8 competitive games and won 8
It's only the results of competitive games that matter
I have never seen results in friendlies quoted in this manner before

Only way they can come up with that is presumably including a draw in a friendly
We drew with Progres, but have won the rest.

Steven Gerrard will prove to be a better manager than Dick Advocaat, in my opinion.
But I did like Wee Dick's team.

We drew away to Progress.

4 wins in a row statistic is totally accurate.

Won 3, drew in Luxembourg then won 4.

We drew with Progres, but have won the rest.
Somehow wiped from my brain
After getting up at 2 am in HK for the joy of a 0-0 as well
How could I forget?

Aye but it wasn't

When was the last time Ferguson went to a Rangers game?

Where was his support during the bad times?

He has commitments of his own funnily enough.

What support would you like from him?

Him to support things going on in our club he doesn't agree with?

Said nothing wrong but no doubt people will still get raging.
Some people just wake up raging, I’m sure of it!

There’s absolutely nothing wrong at all with what our former treble winning captain is saying about us.

I don’t always agree with him but he is entitled to his opinion, and it’s not like we haven’t left ourselves open to a load of criticism in recent years.

Folk complain when Ferguson criticises, now he is genuinely positive, the same folk still complain?

Maybe the reason he was negative before was due to the fact we were an absolute shit show who continually embarrassed our club year after year?

Exactly mate, we all had feck all positive to say for the last few years don't know why it's expected he should be any different.

Just watch all the turncoats and haters trying to be nice over the next couple of months. Makes me sick. Fcuk of to all that family.
That “turncoat/hater” whichever you’re calling him (he’s neither by the way) has done things for our club you couldn’t even dream of and will be spoke about long after you’re gone.. I’m sure he will be gutted that it makes you sick

He has commitments of his own funnily enough.

What support would you like from him?

Him to support things going on in our club he doesn't agree with?
Commitments of his own? Well don't we all, our club was nearly destroyed and he was no where.
Did Nacho have no commitments, did John Brown have no commitments, did the guys that went on the SOS marches have no commitments?

Where were all these "real rangers men" when we were on our knees? Fucking hiding, not given a %^*&

Commitments of his own? Well don't we all, our club was nearly destroyed and he was no where.
Did Nacho have no commitments, did John Brown have no commitments, did the guys that went on the SOS marches have no commitments?

Where were all these "real rangers men" when we were on our knees? Fucking hiding, not given a %^*&
John Brown was ridiculed by some for trying so dont rewrite history.

Firstly, there wouldn't be many allowed back at Ibrox if you're point was inplemented on all our former players/staff fans etc.

Secondly, what did you want him to do? I'm sure he would have done alot if he had the opportunity. In the midst of alot of uncertainty and confusion, there really wasn't alot many could have done.

And lastly, he is entitled to his opinion which often was merited.

It's not like he's went against us needlessly. It's with purpose and probably with good intention considering he wants what's best for the club.

DA came in after 1 Celtic title, Gerrard came in following years of turmoil and financial inequality

I cant see the glaring similarities positive though the article is.

nice read. although i don't quite agree with the notion that if we get through east fife then legia and celtic will be a breeze.

I think you may have taken him out of context, he's meaning that if Rangers can get themselves up for a game like that, then Rangers shouldn't have too much problem at Ibrox against Celtic if Rangers show like they did last season. It's an old firm anyway and under Gerrard, you would fully expect us to completely dominate Celtic.

DA came in after 1 Celtic title, Gerrard came in following years of turmoil and financial inequality

I cant see the glaring similarities positive though the article is.
I think he means in terms of style. Fast, open and attacking football.

I think he means in terms of style. Fast, open and attacking football.
Yes though formation also differs.

At least its positive and at least we are showing a real intent but if a blueprint is being followed it isnt DAs.

Probably more elements of Liverpool (without the superstars)

Thomson refused, or let’s say omitted, to be critical of a Hibs team who booted us off the park or the septic captain’s continuous behaviour in games against us.

I could write a book on the negativethings Ferguson has said about us since he retired.

Not by me, I'm not trying to re write history, maybe you are cause you didn't play your part in any of the protests, now jog on
Glad you know what part i played. Don't know what you expected all our ex players (although something tells me you are quite selective on the ones you hold a grudge against) to do.

I’m somewhere in the middle, I don’t think he deserves to have his arse licked just because he’s Barry ferguson, and I don’t think he deserves to be ousted or called a cùnt.

He has written a lot of shite about us though, and I find it hard to forget some things, like his complete lack of respect for JJ because he beat him to that gig “putting the bibs and cones out”.

Is this a thread slagging Ferguson, or are there going to be any attempts at discussing the content of the article?
It’s the same as all threads regarding certain ex players.

Get a thread going on Kenny Dalglish he gets talked about better than some of our ex players

For a highly successful former Club captain, there is a way to be constructive and even critical. We have and had enough detractors over the last few years, without former players joining in. I just think he got it wrong by jumping on that bandwagon when the Club needed support.
He didn’t pitch up with any sort of encouragement when the chips were down, but wants to now things seem to have improved.
Nor should he expect praise for supporting the Club now, amid memories of the boot going in when we least needed it.
I’d be keen to see what he did to stick the boot in at the time. To be fair, he had money troubles of his own to deal with at the same time. His life must have been a bit all over the place.

Is this a thread slagging Ferguson, or are there going to be any attempts at discussing the content of the article?
Are you new here? First reply decreed it was inane ramblings so becomes FF policy.

Personally don't see much wrong with it. Ferguson compared what he sees now with what he feels is a similar scenario in his own career.

Then again I haven't won a Pulitzer award like many of the journalistic experts on here.

Last edited:
Back