Steven Gerrard tactically shocking today

So you telling posters you are better than them doesn't warrant a personal riposte?
His weakness today was, again, failure to manage the game actually taking place in front of him.
That's his achilles heel.

I'm not better than anybody mate-we all come into the world one way and go out the other-in general terms short of serial killers and Lewis Calpadi fans we are all equal.

But that doesn't mean this forum doesn't have a high % of absolutely bullshit analysis and understanding of the game.

I think it's been pointed out today was unusual in that his changes had a very positive outcome and that the final changes had a solid logic about it. The fact we drew a game we should be winning is a given but you could then every point dropped by every manager is a tactical failure. Fire in if you think that's the case.

It's not Gerrard's fault Katić made mistakes.

Don't understand that one. You could see from 5 minutes in Katić was shaking. He was all over the place. Miss placing passes, play the ball out the park, losing headers to Hendry, lack of communication, positionally all over the place, at fault for the first...

Gerrard even had words with Edmundson.

You've got the choice of three substitutions to make. He should have hooked Katić. He failed to do so. That's on Gerrard for failing to deal with a situation.

Sloppy defending cost Rangers today, not the Manager. A half decent defence and it would have been 2nil. The goals against were criminal but once the manager puts a team out, he cant control players who mess up.

A failed formation changed at half time where he brought on a striker who linked well with Morelos and linked the midfield.

Rangers go 2-1 up and are dominating the game

so what does Gerrard do??? Revert back to the failed formation taking Morelos off and bringing on a midfielder

result - a draw

why change when dominating, it doesn’t make sense.

His failure was not replacing Katic at ht. St johnstone just punted the ball towards him and waited on %^*& ups happening.

He's good at throwing players under the bus when they play bad. Time to take some of the blame himself.

Dylan that argument doesn’t wash with me.

I said I didn’t think we would win anything unless there was major investment and he cleared some of his key players out like Tav, Goldson, Jack.
He has built his house on these players along with Kent and Morelos and they keep letting him down.

We have turned into a diddy team who raise our game against big teams but get lazy for the ordinary league games. These players have won %^*& all, like the manager has in his management career so far ,yet they keep celebrating small battles like they have won the war.
Europe apart, we are not progressing as a team and this can’t be allowed to continue.
However unless we can make a major investment in the team playing squad I don’t see things changing.

However we have not lost the silverware due to being out played by Celtic, we have lost it due to not beating Killie, St Johnstone, Hearts, Aberdeen etc

That is why fans are fucking angry and frustrated.

We couldn't get over the line in two key games versus Celtic this season too often forgotten.

The squad simply has run out of form and we lack overall squad strength similar to theirs-it's clear as day their bounce back after the break coincides with key players returning to form for them. They must have 3 or 4 the number of internationalists and experienced ones in comparison to us.

We have had our best defender and key players-many of them out during the slump.

I'm not better than anybody mate-we all come into the world one way and go out the other-in general terms short of serial killers and Lewis Calpadi fans we are all equal.
But that doesn't mean this forum doesn't have a high % of absolutely bullshit analysis and understanding of the game.
I think it's been pointed out today was unusual in that his changes had a very positive outcome and that the final changes had a solid logic about it. The fact we drew a game we should be winning is a given but you could then every point dropped by every manager is a tactical failure. Fire in if you think that's the case.
We're getting there, DB, as the song says "Always Be Humble and Kind" but you really should know what I think of straw men by now. :)
See the 'solid logic' argument, though? Not for me. You don't surrender initiative, particularly in these games where the opponents best hope is "up and at 'em".
Gerrard and Beale have to accept that the SPFL is different, they really should have by now.

Sloppy defending cost Rangers today, not the Manager. A half decent defence and it would have been 2nil. The goals against were criminal but once the manager puts a team out, he cant control players who mess up.
Well I’m no manager but for me he should have hooked Katic before half time and taken of Morellos at half time and I said it at the time. That’s on Gerrard.

The bulk of responsibility for today lies with Gerrard.

He said he was to blame for Kilmarnock, yet started the exact same 11 in the same system today. Absolute madness.

He then makes a sub and changes the system and it gets us in front. Then quite unbelievably he makes 2 subs and reverts back to the same system that hasn’t worked for the last 6 weeks. Genuinely mind boggling stuff.

If he had just left the team as it was after our second there was only one team winning that game today.

Absolute cowards move to fling Katic under the bus today also. Katic was horrendous and needed his arse kicked, but publicly shaming him when Gerrard and his tactics were actually more at fault than Katic was a disgrace. Especially given the fact that Gerrard was the one with the power to do something about Katic today.

Last year, celtic won the league by 9pts. This season their current lead is 12 pts, albeit with Rangers having a game in hand. Should things continue as they have been since the end of the winter break, the yahoos could conceivably win the league by anywhere from 16-20pts. In other words, Rangers, despite spending significant sums in the transfer market, will have regressed. Whilst next year, we would be faced with the humiliating prospect of witnessing celtic romp to ten--in-a-row. Who knows it would end.
If this were indeed how things paned out, there is no way to avoid placing the blame for this state of affairs on Gerrard and his staff.

I think the problem might well be the larger-than-life reputation that Gerrard enjoys in the game. Therefore, no one around him might feel they have the credibility and stature to point out Gerrard's tactical and team-selection errors to him. Easier said than done of course, for I get the sense that Gerrard is one of those guys who if you piss off or get on his wrong side, he won't forgive or forget easily - just ask JJ!!

But unless Gerrard packs it in - which he could well do - someone needs to step up, perhaps a combination of senior players and coaches. and say what needs to be said. Something is clearly amiss at Ibrox and it needs sorted.

We got outplayed by a very good side Thurs. His subs helped change the game. Who are you looking to appoint next?

Braga are not a very good side.

His subs looked better than they should because we had been so absolutely outplayed before hand.

The players done the work on Thursday not the gaffer.

I'd need to do my research on potential replacements. But I would argue that this squad is capable and with more tactical flexibility we would still be in a title race.

21 shots 9 on target.

Katic slips for first goal cant defend corners, yes Gerrard got things wrong but you cant hold
him responsible for errors and missed chances. Its a blow after the Piggery game to go so much backwards we really need to win the Cup it's not even up for debate now

Braga are not a very good side.

His subs looked better than they should because we had been so absolutely outplayed before hand.

The players done the work on Thursday not the gaffer.

I'd need to do my research on potential replacements. But I would argue that this squad is capable and with more tactical flexibility we would still be in a title race.
They're the best side we've faced this season. And why did the players not dig him out of said hole today?

A failed formation changed at half time where he brought on a striker who linked well with Morelos and linked the midfield.

so what does Gerrard do??? Revert back to the failed formation taking Morelos off and bringing on a midfielder

result - a draw

I can sort of see why Morelos was taken off as he had a fairly awful game but in fairness he did look a lot better in the 4-4-2 formation.

The change back to the 4-3-3 was a strange one and the fact Gerrard let Katic finish the 90 minutes was a total shambles.

Tactics were fine, players not being able to perform basic defensive tasks was what cost us. My only real criticism of Gerrard today would be that Katic should not have seen the 2nd half. He was that bad.

result - a draw

Hard to disagree with. Fed up with ‘game management’

Like he did Thursday, when we were getting outplayed. You can't have it both ways.

Yes you can. He made a desperate move on Thursday and the players did the work.

He set us up to get outplayed initially, then went and did the same thing again today.

The players are not the problem.

For us to have won today the players would have had to have ignored Gerrard. Tells you everything you need to know.

Continually playing the players who are so bad out of form when there is options is on Gerrard.He will be the master of his downfall.

What did tactics have to do with 3 awful errors from Katic that directly led to both goals which Gerrard has zero influence over?

That's the reason we dropped 2 points today.
Stop it, the armchair Struths know every tactical strategy to combat any formation or style of play. Yet, there, their, they're and plurals baffle them.

Dear me it would appear the knives are out for Gerrard already. I still believe Gerrard is the man to lead us to glory,granted performances of late have been poor. I certainly wouldn't say he's tactically clueless as Thursday night showed. Today he changed formation and brought on Kamberi which should have won the game but for horrendous defending. All those that are saying he's not up to and is tactically clueless should remember we are 15 games in Europe undefeated at Ibrox and reached the group stages 2 years in a row from the first qualifying round. His European record and league points total shows he's not tactically clueless. We are all frustrated with recent performances but calling for a change in manager is outrageous.

result - a draw

Absolutely nothing to do with tactics today. Individual errors leading to terrible goals.

My only real criticism of Gerrard today would be that Katic should not have seen the 2nd half. He was that bad.

That and his team selection from the start, the set up, realising that two strikers on the park worked better then deciding to go back to his shit set up with one striker on the park.

We're getting there, DB, as the song says "Always Be Humble and Kind" but you really should know what I think of straw men by now. :)
See the 'solid logic' argument, though? Not for me. You don't surrender initiative, particularly in these games where the opponents best hope is "up and at 'em".
Gerrard and Beale have to accept that the SPFL is different, they really should have by now.

I don't disagree indeed I stated at the start of the season we needed a third striker that was an out the box 1970's big guy that we could punt the ball at if we needed a goal in the last 5 mins. In other words winning at all costs and throwing the kitchen sink at it.

Goldson and Katic were thrown up front in the last 10. Arguably the same thing.

SG has stuck to a style that largely gave him massive plaudits it is now potentially the very thing used to say he is not good enough.

However he has assembled a squad on the basis of being a football team he really doesn't have the personnel to do too much different.

That and his team selection from the start, the set up, realising that two strikers on the park worked better then deciding to go back to his shit set up with one striker on the park.

Not sure I buy this argument. I agree with you that Kamberi probably should have started.

Regarding the changes at 2-1 I felt he had the right idea. He threw on Davis to try and establish more control in the game and to effectively see it out. Walter did this all the time.

If he left it as it was and we conceded folk would be criticising him for not being pragmatic under the circumstances and that he should have shored it up with only 15 mins left. No win situation really. Ultimately our inability to defend simple high long balls cost us. Every high ball in behind were giving our defense fits, and it was Stevie May of all people who they were panicking over. Bizarre.

The guys a shambles tactically.

He gave St Johnston a 45 minute head start with the same pish he always starts with.

He can leave anytime he wants.. we'll never win titles with Gerrard in charge.
Tactical genius at 2145 on Thursday

tactical shambles at 1515 on sunday

This place showing it’s bipolar side once more

we are fickle as fvck

we are fickle as fvck

Tactical genius my arse.

Braga completely shit themselves and collapsed when Hagi scored and the atmosphere went mental.. we were dominated for 70 minutes of that game.

If you cant see Gerrard is tactically poor you're beyond reasoning.

Tactical genius my arse.

Braga completely shit themselves and collapsed when Hagi scored and the atmosphere went mental.. we were dominated for 70 minutes of that game.

If you cant see Gerrard is tactically poor you're beyond reasoning.
I wasn’t on about my opinion in general mate

on about the reaction on here from when we win a game to when we dont

world beaters when we win and fvcking championship side when we dont

place is beyond bonkers

Last edited:
Far too premature with this idea that he should be sacked. If he walked at the end of the season that would also be bad. It’s exactly what they want to happen.

We need to see what the position looks like at the end of the season.

Btw, European football is more than just a bonus. It gives us the cash that allows us to bridge the gap that was created over the last 8 years. Gerrard and his team’s achievements in Europe have been nothing short of remarkable.

Said e a

result - a draw

Said same on another thread, madness

Gerard has no width in the team after January. We now have 5 midfielders all vying to play in the same area.

Kent is now avoiding the wings as confidence is gone. Hagi isn't a wide player and Braga exposed this on Thursday.

Jones the villain since his injury and Gerard unsuccessfully tried to empty him in January. Out the euro squad and on the bench for show only.

Ojo totally out the picture..

Barker totally out the picture.

Stewart has been demoted even further down the pecking order since Kamberi arrived.

Edmondson after a couple of decent games dropped for his first poor game.

Gerard is now finding to his cost that keeping the dressing room happy is the hardest part of the job.

we are fickle as fvck
Thursday night Tactic A didn’t work and we were getting shown up. Switched to Tactic B and got a result.
Today we start with Tactic A that didn’t work and couldn’t penetrate. We switched to Tactic B and got 2 goals. We then switched back to Tactic A which took all the pressure off St Johnstone.

Kamara should have been hooked earlier than he was on Thursday, and when he was, things improved. Katic should have been hooked early on today. He wasn’t, and was allowed to continue to cause us problems.

Alarm bells started for me at Kilmarnock when a blind man could see aribo and hagi needed subbed fear the worst now

If katic didn't shit the bed on that second goal he'd be on here being a tactical genius for going 2 up front to get ahead then going back to normal to hold the win.

Shit happens but not sure we can blame Gerrard for today. The only blame we can put on him is not pulling Katic off pronto.

I'm all for criticising Gerrard tactically & have been vocal about poor team selections.

However lets not kid ourselves on, Katic sold that game & the biggest finger you can point at Gerrard is for not taking him off

He should have been hooked after 10 minutes max. !

Back