Stick to Football Podcast - Michael Beale

Still scunnered to this day that GVB wasn’t backed properly after getting us to a European final and then was poached out his job by Del Boy waiting in the stands.

GVB was let down badly.

Results were poor but that added extra pressure on which didn't help us as a club.

That was a disappointing episode and not how Rangers should conduct business.

What was your question?
You said, among other things, that Beale is 'the sort of man whose talk impresses idiots'; unless you have personal experience of him and how he went about his role at Rangers then you don't really know what you're talking about, do you? Or, are you just basing this on the impression you got at press conferences? He impressed the manager and others at Rangers for him to be here over three years, and then subsequently join the coaching staff elsewhere. But you know better than them, eh?

You said, among other things, that Beale is 'the sort of man whose talk impresses idiots'; unless you have personal experience of him and how he went about his role at Rangers then you don't really know what you're talking about, do you? Or, are you just basing this on the impression you got at press conferences? He impressed the manager and others at Rangers for him to be here over three years, and then subsequently join the coaching staff elsewhere. But you know better than them, eh?

I’m basing it on the experience I have of people who talk like Beale and how he talked in press conferences. Generally that type of communication appeals to idiots, because at a superficial level he manages to confidently sound like he knows what he is talking about, but if you actually look at what he said, it was a load of confused nonsense a lot of the time.

Which is exactly what the players seem to be alluding to when they contrast Beale with Clement now.

I’m basing it on the experience I have of people who talk like Beale and how he talked in press conferences. Generally that type of communication appeals to idiots, because at a superficial level he manages to confidently sound like he knows what he is talking about, but if you actually look at what he said, it was a load of confused nonsense a lot of the time.

Which is exactly what the players seem to be alluding to when they contrast Beale with Clement now.
You don't have to equate that to him only impressing "idiots" though. Perhaps Beale's problem is that he over thinks the game, or doesn't grasp where theory and practice don't meet. What you say here are good points though, maybe Beale has to think about that more if he is to be a manager again one day. He obviously has something about him, and has impressed some good football people in his time as well, but maybe he is too idealistic.

You don't have to equate that to him only impressing "idiots" though. Perhaps Beale's problem is that he over thinks the game, or doesn't grasp where theory and practice don't meet. What you say here are good points though, maybe Beale has to think about that more if he is to be a manager again one day. He obviously has something about him, and has impressed some good football people in his time as well, but maybe he is too idealistic.

Yeah, maybe “idiots” is too strong! I think he has a few problems, and idealism may well be one of them. Communication is definitely an issue and I also don’t think he has the gravitas to be a manager at a club like Rangers. He also doesn’t have status in the game as a former top player like Gerrard. I think he will struggle to make it as a manager.

Beale is probably a top class coach, but below average manager. And best not to let him get a mic in front of him.

What a terrific guest Les Ferdinand was!

All hindsight and tough to turn down Rangers, but it certainly sounds as though Beale had the ideal place at QPR to develop his first steps in management.

Sunderland was the wrong job taken too quickly. Ultimately he'll do well at high Championship, lower end EPL.

You could well be right, I'm just basing my thoughts on there being likely shades of grey in the Michael Beale story. This forum tends to just swing wildly from one extreme to the other

He had a decent run here to begin with last season, he must have been doing something right in those 8 months to be given the money he did in the summer.
Indeed some of those signings have shown up quite well now

He should start at the bottom and work his way up and learn properly
I’ve heard second hand that what Ainsworth took over at QPR was an utter shambles.

I don’t think the size of club is as much of an influence on the outcome as Beale just being out of his depth as the manager in any scenario.
Coaching is what he is good at and he should probably have stuck to it.

Back