Stick to Football Podcast - Michael Beale

Parkbear1

Official Ticketer
Interesting watch, Les Ferdinand is the guest and talks about how impressed he was with Beale when he recruited him at QPR and him knocking back Wolves but leaving for us. Seems he's a good talker, coach and jumped to too big a job too soon.

Beale’s reputation as a coach is very good. Massive difference between that and being the main man. I wonder if he would be willing to admit that and going back to being the right hand man rather than the main man?
Would be better coaching the understanding again. Plenty of good jobs in that area.

I can't imagine there are many managers seeking him out to be their number 2.

Interesting watch, Les Ferdinand is the guest and talks about how impressed he was with Beale when he recruited him at QPR and him knocking back Wolves but leaving for us. Seems he's a good talker, coach and jumped to too big a job too soon.
His reputation as a coach was clear before he even came to us. Just couldn’t seem to handle the pressure of being the manager of us.

Beale clearly has a place in football, find his backstory and path to get where he has, for the most part, quite admirable.

In general has a decent idea about a player, decent enough eye for a player can coach.

He does though just seem far suited in a more marginalized role being managed rather than being the one running the show, it all just seems to have got a bit much for him.

Time away from the game and building a better belief in his ideas and becoming a bit more stubborn rather than trying to people please will serve him well.

No harm to the op but this'll prompt another discussion about a guy who sold himself as best he could, landed a plum job and was subsequently found out.

It's like a scab that won't heal because it keeps getting picked at.

In hindsight Beale should have stayed at QPR with their lower expectations

He is the kind of manager that needs time to embed his ideas as was proven by most of our squad saying things were overcomplicated

You don't get time at Rangers and even Sunderland to a lesser extent

He should start from scratch again at a League 1 or 2 club and he will probably do well

Charlton, Reading or the likes that have a bit of potential

Beale’s reputation as a coach is very good. Massive difference between that and being the main man. I wonder if he would be willing to admit that and going back to being the right hand man rather than the main man?
He really should.

There no shame in that either, apparently he was on an absolute fortune at Aston Villa when he left with Gerrard.

Any more failed managerial experiments though and he will run the risk of being untouchable as a coach at a decent level as well though.

His reputation as a coach was clear before he even came to us. Just couldn’t seem to handle the pressure of being the manager of us.
Not the first good coach who couldn't make it as a manager. Plenty of really good managers who haven't been the best coaches too. Saw a thing with Viv Anderson saying the extent of Brian Clough's coaching was having them run round the pitch. He earned his money in the dressing room on matchday.

No harm to the op but this'll prompt another discussion about a guy who sold himself as best he could, landed a plum job and was subsequently found out.

It's like a scab that won't heal because it keeps getting picked at.
Started the thread because a new podcast and figure in the game was very positive about his work at QPR, from info inside the club and players and how they were deflated when he left.

Started the thread because a new podcast and figure in the game was very positive about his work at QPR, from info inside the club and players and how they were deflated when he left.
I understand that mate. He's such a divisive figure, it'll always provoke debate and a lot of it is old ground.

As I said, no slight on you.

Definitely a good coach but I don't think he has the necessary stature or force of personality that's required for management at the top level.

not buying the good coach malarky

hes an out and out fraud

To be fair he's worked from grass roots up and with hundreds of professional footballers who praise his coaching, loved his training variation etc, they can't all be wrong and know what's required more than you or I do..

That he didn't suit the Rangers managers job doesn't mean he can't coach.

To be fair he's worked from grass roots up and with hundreds of professional footballers who praise his coaching, loved his training variation etc, they can't all be wrong and know what's required more than you or I do..

That he didn't suit the Rangers managers job doesn't mean he can't coach.
Who?

His reputation on here was/is very good mate. That might've been backed up by the odd testimonial from then current players or other people in the game.

It is one thing coaching kids and apprentices at big clubs, or being part of a management team which might introduce an interesting setup that is something fresh or novel to a group of journeymen pros eager for change. That also applies to a group of hungry, inexperienced players who are looking to enhance themselves as individuals and collectively as a first team and haven't had much exposure to elevated ways of working by a coaching/ managerial staff.

It's another thing entirely being in charge of the two main footballing aspects of a club, namely, first team management and recruitment. If the latter was foisted on him and reluctantly accepted rather than embraced, as it appeared at the time, then he was completely remiss in confidently stating that we didn't need a DoF. Not only did he deprive himself of someone to carry some of the blame if things went south, he heaped unneccesary additional pressure on his formative managerial shoulders.

Naive in the extreme.

The fact that the club's senior execs allowed that ludicrous situation to arise merely added insult to injury. I mean, part of the chairman's bread and butter in his day to day is management of exposure to risk via his fund portfolio husbandry. No doubt he has computer models to crunch that for him and inform judgement. Different thing entirely trying to apply that methodology to a young, aspiring manager. Not that he necessarily would.

Michael Beale blowing up in everyone's face doesn't reflect well at all. His truncated time on Wearside exacerbates things several fold.

It'll be interesting to see where Mick resurfaces.

Pretty much every Rangers player during Gerrard's time for starters.
I see this posted all the time in Beale's thread.

How does the subject of a 1st team coach come up hundreds of times in players interviews?

I don't even know who big Phil's assistant is, but heard (probably) hundreds of times about how Beale was this elite coach.

He's the sort of man whose talk impresses idiots. Buzzwords, cliches, management speak etc.

Can't believe some still fall for it.
You’ve got to be careful with that because the majority of the Rangers support fell for it. We thought we knew what we were getting because of his time here before.

Also, he is an impressive listen. Listen to him on podcasts of his time when he was a Rangers coach and later, and his views on community and looking after footballers is bang on.

But for whatever reason his mindset switches when he becomes a manager. It’s like the coach didn’t exist.

You’ve got to be careful with that because the majority of the Rangers support fell for it. We thought we knew what we were getting because of his time here before.

Also, he is an impressive listen. Listen to him on podcasts of his time when he was a Rangers coach and later, and his views on community and looking after footballers is bang on.

But for whatever reason his mindset switches when he becomes a manager. It’s like the coach didn’t exist.
Yeah, it’s the way he speaks as a manger that is the problem.

I see this posted all the time in Beale's thread.

How does the subject of a 1st team coach come up hundreds of times in players interviews?

I don't even know who big Phil's assistant is, but heard (probably) hundreds of times about how Beale was this elite coach.

All you would have had to do was listen to players interviews at the time, I don't know how you would have missed them.

The players liked his coaching and were buzzing when he got the managers role initially, it never worked out, he doesn't seem cut out for management, but he had/has a very good reputation as a coach.

All you would have had to do was listen to players interviews at the time, I don't know how you would have missed them.
I'm not denying they exist. Like I believe it was with Gerrard, when he was praising Beale to the heavens, there's a good chance they were simply just talking up a guy they liked that was looking to move into management.
The players liked his coaching and were buzzing when he got the managers role initially, it never worked out, he doesn't seem cut out for management, but he had/has a very good reputation as a coach.
Were they? How would any of us know this? *interviews after Beale got the job don't count*

Firstly, the Les Ferdinand episode is really good - give it a watch.

For context on Beale, Ferdinand says that Beale was a right fit for QPR, in that he was doing what the Board had asked of him from the outset, and the players bought into him straight away. “He had them eating out the palm of his hand.” He got players playing that the club originally wanted to sell, and had them top of the table when the ambition of the club was push for play offs, but don’t get relegated, due to the financial restraint the club was under.

After Beale rejected Wolves, Ferdinand said he knew the only club he wouldn’t reject was Rangers. Because whenever Beale referenced any of his previous jobs, it was always Rangers he spoke of with such fondness. Ferdinand just didn’t think Rangers would come in for him so soon.

He didn’t really have an answer as to why Beale failed at Rangers and Sunderland. He just said he was an incredibly confident man.

And I’ll be honest, after listening to the way Ferdinand spoke about Beale - he did his homework, he was great with the players, already had the reputation of being a good coach - I’m still a bit none the wiser as to why it has gone catastrophically wrong for him after coming to Us.

In hindsight Beale should have stayed at QPR with their lower expectations

He is the kind of manager that needs time to embed his ideas as was proven by most of our squad saying things were overcomplicated

You don't get time at Rangers and even Sunderland to a lesser extent

He should start from scratch again at a League 1 or 2 club and he will probably do well

Charlton, Reading or the likes that have a bit of potential
I’ve heard second hand that what Ainsworth took over at QPR was an utter shambles.

I don’t think the size of club is as much of an influence on the outcome as Beale just being out of his depth as the manager in any scenario.
Coaching is what he is good at and he should probably have stuck to it.

I'm not denying they exist. Like I believe it was with Gerrard, when he was praising Beale to the heavens, there's a good chance they were simply just talking up a guy they liked that was looking to move into management.

Were they? How would any of us know this? *interviews after Beale got the job don't count*

Ok mate, he was always a terrible coach and anyone saying he was really good was lying, happy?

Firstly, the Les Ferdinand episode is really good - give it a watch.

For context on Beale, Ferdinand says that Beale was a right fit for QPR, in that he was doing what the Board had asked of him from the outset, and the players bought into him straight away. “He had them eating out the palm of his hand.” He got players playing that the club originally wanted to sell, and had them top of the table when the ambition of the club was push for play offs, but don’t get relegated, due to the financial restraint the club was under.

After Beale rejected Wolves, Ferdinand said he knew the only club he wouldn’t reject was Rangers. Because whenever Beale referenced any of his previous jobs, it was always Rangers he spoke of with such fondness. Ferdinand just didn’t think Rangers would come in for him so soon.

He didn’t really have an answer as to why Beale failed at Rangers and Sunderland. He just said he was an incredibly confident man.

And I’ll be honest, after listening to the way Ferdinand spoke about Beale - he did his homework, he was great with the players, already had the reputation of being a good coach - I’m still a bit none the wiser as to why it has gone catastrophically wrong for him after coming to Us.

Look at the back room team he appointed. Nobody of any significant standing and experience. Nobody really to challenge his ideas. OK Banfield had been at Arsenal but he clearly wasn't that much of a big part of what Wenher was doing. The experience was all development coaching and lower league stuff really.

It's now obvious none of them knew how to plan a pre season properly and get the fitness and conditioning right.

Beale always spoke about attackers playing with freedom - thats all well and good but ours looked like they didn't know what their team mates were going to do, there was no pattern of play etc. Nobody was on the same wavelength to just play with freedom.

He also worried way way too much about how the opposition could hurt us so everything was slow and ponderous, making safe passes and about keeping shape off the ball and not losing possession in case we got caught out. Compare with Clement where he isn't interested in safe passes and if we lose the ball that's fine, just go win it back quickly and try again. Just the difference in throw ins highlights this.

Another example how how risk averse he was, was just reverting to precious tactics and binning whatever plan he had for all the new signings after one game. Have some balls and stick with the plan you spent all the money on!

Finally as Beale had been coach to a load of these players he felt he had to behave differently to gain respect as manager - this allegedly came across as being an arrogant twat and the players didn't take kindly to it.

I get the disappointment in him, but we've got Clement now. A heck of a sore last route happened to get him, but it might not have happened otherwise.

Grand scheme of things I'm much happier with Clement in charge than I am disappointed by Beale having being in charge.

Back