Succesful season

Do you consider this a successful season

• Yes

Votes: 1,076 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 253 19.0%

• Total voters
I’m in the middle, it’s not good, it’s not that bad. I just don’t feel comfortable calling a Scottish cup a successful season for Rangers, especially in light of the way we blew the league and the nick of the side we lost it to. Europe was incredible though and I’m happy for the boys today.
Agreed. It’s easily the most memorable season I’ve had following rangers and moments I’ll cherish for life, that doesn’t equate to it being successful though

So you think winning the Scottish Cup is a good season? Should have been more, a think the celtic team is bang average and its a major disappointment we never won the league, the question was if this was a successful season and and I'm disappointed we only won the scottish Cup, sorry if that's not you opinion but I'm disappointed that's all we have to show this season, and do you know something a hope the players feel the same way
You won't be celebrating today's win then.

I voted no, as in the truest sense of the word I think we’ve had more successful seasons. That being said, it’s one of the most enjoyable seasons we’ve ever had, with so many memorable moments at Ibrox and elsewhere, so I thank every single player for that. I’ll still be talking about some of those nights and days for years to come.

Too far. If we lost that final today it would’ve been a travesty and Gio would’ve been fighting for his job, in my opinion

It was inconceivable to think we wouldn’t get that trophy today
No he wouldn't have. Maybe from panic merchants but not for me.
Let's see what he does with his own players.
If he can achieve what he did with what was handed to him then I look forward to next season

In terms of memories, prestige and reputation, yes.

In terms of the real goal at Rangers, no.

We won the 4th best of the 5 tournaments we entered.
Not a bad season, some fantastic moments that still bring a smile and a shiver thinking bout them.

Apparently I need my head looked at, but I voted no. I think if you offered me the Scottish Cup only at the start of the season I'd have said no, especially after winning the league with a huge amount of points last season.

I hope our transfer business is better this summer and Gio gets properly backed.

No he wouldn't have. Maybe from panic merchants but not for me.
Let's see what he does with his own players.
If he can achieve what he did with what was handed to him then I look forward to next season
There would’ve been a sizeable amount of fans but ultimately not winning a trophy would’ve heaped enormous pressure on him. Thankfully don’t need to have those discussions

As you said, be interesting to see what shape we’re in with his signings

Yes.

Had we had Helander, Jack and Morelos fit for 90% of games I’m convinced we would have won the league* and the Europa League, as well as the Scottish Cup.

*had referees implemented the laws of the game we would have won the league anyway.

Gio has a job in the summer but he absolutely deserves the chance to go again next season. The pain of this season will stand the club in good stead.

There would’ve been a sizeable amount of fans but ultimately not winning a trophy would’ve heaped enormous pressure on him. Thankfully don’t need to have those discussions

As you said, be interesting to see what shape we’re in with his signings
I think the Europa final will have raised Rangers and Gio's stock. I think the summer trading will be quite exciting

After the highs of 55 last season, losing league and auto CL spot is a right boot in the swingers, but does cup win and euro final mean this has been a successful season?
Definitely. Always hard to lose the league to the filth, particularly given we threw away a 6 point lead, but to reach the Europa League final with some unforgettable performances and win the Scottish Cup for the first time in 13 years then yes, a successful season overall imho.

Successful in a number of ways

1. Gave us moments in that Euro run we will never ever forget. I’ve had some of my best moments supporting the club this season.

2. Change of manager halfway through. It showed at times with Gio but it’s looking like he is an upgrade on Gerrard.

3. The finances of the club must be the best they have been for a long time.

4. The reputation and stature of the club and fans has no doubt improved.

5. Finished the last game of the season with a trophy we have not to won for 13 years.

6. Calvin Bassey is brilliant. Alex Lowry will be brilliant.

Immensely proud of the effort of the players this year and I already can’t wait for it to start again.

Successful as in a European sense definitely, but overall I voted no as I wouldn't ever call it a successful season when the scum have won the league, just personal opinion of course.

Pathetic league cup semi-final performance.
Relinquished our league title (our own doing).
One kick/ penalty save from immortality in Europe.
First Scottish Cup since 2009.

Truth be told, I'm conflicted.

I said in the heat of losing to them at Ibrox to all but hand them the league that only the EL and SC was acceptable in my eyes from there on. However, as much as Wednesday night hurt, I've recognised the efforts it took to get there and today, today we once again dug deep to take the cup back to Ibrox.

I'm still dissapointed in surrendering the league but given the efforts of Wednesday and today, I can say that I am fairly content.

Gio now gets to truly put his stamp on the squad and hopefully cement us as a force in Europe whilst regaining the title.

Fine lines and all that and it's all about opinions but a trophy less season at our club is not a successful one.
I know where you are coming from and would usually feel the same but seeing the improvement in the team after a tough start under GVB has given me great optimism for the future and would have been the reason I could take positives from a barren season if we hadn't won today.

The players seem to be buying into his style plus some are showing a big improvement or rapid development in their play. Wright, Lundstram, Brassey, Morelos, Barisic and others are benefitting.

We had a few injuries, players away on international duty plus the transition from Gerrards style to his one which definitely made us lose our way a bit in the league.

Of course, our club needs trophies but this season I could have seen as being successful even losing today because of the points above. I realise not everyone will be the same but I am excited to see Gio's next moves with thd team.

Ive had some absolutely incredible moments this season as we all have, feels like the end of an era for this team but ultimately not a successful season for me as the only trophy in the cabinet is the Scottish Cup.

Sorry but that’s just taking the piss. Sadly it’s a train of though that seems to becoming ever more common even though we’re getting further and further from the dark days of 2012.
Not taking the piss. Plenty of positives from the last 2-3 months for me to see it as a successful season (even if we lost today) and feel that we are about to enter a fantastic period for our club under Gio.
You couldn't have many trophy less seasons at Rangers but there is so much to be excited about that, in this case, I could only see it as a level of success.

It’s a tough question and depends how you define success. One domestic trophy would almost never be considered a successful season for us but Europe was massive. Losing our title winning manager half way through the season and surrendering a 6 point lead are big factors that need taken into account. Successful probably isn’t the right word but the last few months have been one of the most exciting periods in our history.
I also now have full faith in Gio and his team when I wanted him gone after the 3-0 at Parkhead.

After Wednesday I still can't get over the feeling that we'll never have a better chance to win a European trophy. I don't think we shat the bed or anything but I do feel we perhaps could have had a bit more belief which would have seen us over the line. Therefore, not a total success of a season especially since we blew the league to a very average Celtic side. It took Gio a few weeks to understand his squad and I believe had the managerial change come earlier in the season we would not have lost our league lead. You also have to give him praise for how he managed the team when we lost our two main strikers. It's been a season of very fine margins. However, I have a very optimistic feeing for next season. By the way what a Ranger Calvin Bassey is.

I know where you are coming from and would usually feel the same but seeing the improvement in the team after a tough start under GVB has given me great optimism for the future and would have been the reason I could take positives from a barren season if we hadn't won today.

The players seem to be buying into his style plus some are showing a big improvement or rapid development in their play. Wright, Lundstram, Brassey, Morelos, Barisic and others are benefitting.

We had a few injuries, players away on international duty plus the transition from Gerrards style to his one which definitely made us lose our way a bit in the league.

Of course, our club needs trophies but this season I could have seen as being successful even losing today because of the points above. I realise not everyone will be the same but I am excited to see Gio's next moves with thd team.
The improvements are there for all to see and to and to do what he's done without a striker is sensational. But we need points on the board or trophies in the cabinet and had we finished second best on all fronts, a good chunk of fans would've been happy to see him go.

12 votes for no.

The difficult dozen.
Well, I've just made it the baker's dozen then.

I thought we'd be able to at least be happy tonight before the post mortems began tomorrow.

The Cons

A shambles in the CL qualifiers.
A disgraceful performance in semi final of the LC.
Pissed away the league.

The Pros

Truly remarkable run to a European final, which sadly we lost.
A SC win, which was as deserved as it was overdue.

Call me difficult or worse if you want, but no lost European final compensates for losing a league from a position of strength.

Far from it.

In all honesty, I couldn’t give a flying %^*& about the Scottish Cup. The one on Wednesday is what mattered.
The one clubs like us should be absolutely nowhere near btw. Won the Scottish cup for the first time since 2009 and you don’t care at all :D

It's difficult but I voted Yes.

Not winning the EL will haunt me for a long time but the fact a Scottish team was even there to begin with is massive.

And to top it off with silverware after that result on Wednesday is great.

Europa League 9/10 (Runners up)*
League (Runners up) 6/10
League Cup 6/10 (Semi Final)**
Scottish Cup 10/10 (Winners)

*No recognised forward due to injury’s.
**Managerial change before the game.

7.75/10.
A good season under the circumstances.

Europa League 9/10 (Runners up)*
League (Runners up) 6/10
League Cup 6/10 (Semi Final)**
Scottish Cup 10/10 (Winners)

*No recognised forward due to injury’s.
**Managerial change before the game.

7.75/10.
A good season under the circumstances.
6/10 in the league? Not a chance it’s anywhere near that. We were running away with it, they are not very good and we ballsed it up. And it’s a 2 horse race. 3/10 at best.

I don’t think there is an answer to the question. It’s such a varied performance across all the competitions.

What I will say though. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it.

Taking my kids to their first game together and seeing us knock out (pump) dortmund was a monumental high.

We finished the season on a high, but winning a trophy should be a given every season at Rangers.

The EL run was glorious.

So why is getting to a final of a major european trophy not a successful season?

Explain it please as im struggling to grasp the reasoning that goes into that
In my own personal opinion, because it’s been accompanied by a really tame surrender of our league title and a humiliating league cup exit.

Loved winning the cup today, 1st one I have seen us win live for a long time and to have my son with me was special, absolutely scunnered with the semi against Hibs, losing the league to Celtic was atrocious and only masked by the fact we got to the Europa league final which we ultimately lost

Overall season could have been the best ever but it never and has finished a but underwhelming for me.

Onwards and upwards

Why? Any season Rangers dont win the league is not a successful one.

We were so far ahead at the start of the season and to allow them to win was criminal.
I agree with that, I can't believe there's been so many votes for yes but everyone's entitled to an opinion I guess.

Maybe it's based on the European run but 1 domestic trophy out 3 isn't a success for me, unless it's the league title.

I am 50/50 with this season.

Not qualify for the CL, which kind of turned out to be a good thing
Gifting the league
That Hibs Semi

Though getting to a final in Europa is just amazing for a team in our league
Winning the Scottish Cup

I think what I will say is the last 2 months have given me a bit more hope in Gio because those two months after the winter break he was deeply concerning me. Something looked off but something just started to click with the team again and players to fight.

Some good deals this summer and we could get CL football and win the league again.

Back