Sunderland fan here

I’m from the north east and through family like Sunderland. I’ll be honest though I don’t know much about the team.

Can I add I went to the piggery for a friendly with the toothless simpletons in 1999. We parked at the forge and went for a drink in Bairds bar... it was like the cantina in Star Wars. After a short while they got the collection tins out so we walked out and didn't return.

I’ve met a few lads from Sunderland back when I was in the army, all have a soft spot for us and no time for the tramps. Great wee city Sunderland

The strippers at the 93 testimonial were not too shabby. Pity the greedy buggers wanted more money.

The testimonial game in '93 was one of my favourite ever away days, the locals were absolutely brilliant. You'd think WW3 had broken out the way the rags had us on their front pages for a week lol.

I've lived in Sunderland for 49 years my wife and kids are mackems, I'd say its a 50/50 split in line with a lot of English towns/Cities. There was a Sunderland loyal Rsc which ran a bus to most home games for roughly 10 years in the early 90s, there's also a mentally challenged supporters club which also runs buses to games. As for Sunderland fans,I've met many over the years and find some have us as a 2nd team, and some have them as a 2nd team, the obvious links to us are mccoist, Baxter, Butcher, Defoe etc but there was a time you'd see a lot of tricolors at their ground due to Quinn/Keane and the consortium of owners.The Town also has a lot of Catholic schools and churches.

I always thought Sunderland had some link with the spoon burners. I went along to a game years ago with family from down there and a Hibs banner was pulled out at halftime met with applause from the home supporters.
Do they also have some link with they pricks Feyenoord?
They have links with Feyenoord, something to do with Rotterdam being a Port and Sunderland being famous for shipbuilding. A group of them come over to Sunderland a couple of times a year for a day on the drink, usually when they play Newcastle , with the usual pics on social media of the ' firm ' outside a pub looking scary :))

Sadly for those of us who follow The Mackems the worst link between our clubs is Bain :mad: a loathsome despised wretch of a man who we managed to rid ourselves of .... sadly Sunderland were less fortunate:( keep the faith OP ! We’ve always got the play-offs and we’ve a great record there:eek::eek: FTM:))

Welcome to the forum OP.
I've always liked Sunderland.
Used to stay with friends there back in the mid 70's. Great people who lived not that far from the baths, possibly Newcastle Road Baths ?
Can't remember as it was a long time ago.
I was also at the testimonial and arranged with a mate of mine for our 2 supporters buses to visit the Hepworth and Grandage social club before and after the game.
Great club and the locals were superb.

Hello all, I cannot find the thread but I wish to take issue that we have fan or club links to the beggars.We don't.
Sunderland has the largest remembrance parade outside of London. That should be a clue.
And 3 summers ago that bad people came here for a friendly and were absolute wankers. Balaclavas, Lee Rigby etc.
I was at Bennos testimonial in 93 and there was sporadic violence but 99% good nature and respect. I also attended Ian Fergusons testimonial.and was made welcome in a downstairs supporters club a block or two back from the Broomloan stand.
Toon army lol

Hello all, I cannot find the thread but I wish to take issue that we have fan or club links to the beggars.We don't.
Sunderland has the largest remembrance parade outside of London. That should be a clue.
And 3 summers ago that bad people came here for a friendly and were absolute wankers. Balaclavas, Lee Rigby etc.
I was at Bennos testimonial in 93 and there was sporadic violence but 99% good nature and respect. I also attended Ian Fergusons testimonial.and was made welcome in a downstairs supporters club a block or two back from the Broomloan stand.
Welcome

As pointed out there is few of us on here

More the better I say

I was there at the old Roker park.. Sunderland dogs 1st.. all I can mind was chasing folk doon some streets

I was a young lad and under the influence..

Only yesterday I was talking to a lady she's Ian McColl,s daughter, ex Rangers player & ex Sunderland manager, I'm sure it was him who signed Jim Baxter

I wouldnt have thought for one moment that Sunderland fans have any affinity with Celtic. absolutely no reason for the connection at all. Hope to see Sunderland back in the top league asap.

That would be the Rangers Supporter Association Club. 'The Wee Club'

Had a weekend in Sunderland years ago. 2 big lads approached me when they heard the Glaswegian accent. I sh@t it when they asked who I supported as it want long after the Bennet testimonial when there some trouble. As soon as I said rangers, they gave me a hug and told me to give us the sash

The testimonial in 93 was a great day out and I found, without exception, the locals to be welcoming and friendly before and during the game. Nothing to be done about a few ar#eholes who kick off after a days drinking...could have happened anytime in any town.

The Roker Marina that day was bouncing thanks to my wee pal Billy B. who organised it

Glad to hear that you want nothing to do with The Manky Mob, We knew that any way. Especially after the last time you had the pleasure of them down in Sunderland, They whole Stigma about them as a Club is Disgusting, They even have that Old Pish stain Trackie wearer Rod Stewart advertising them, C**t gives me the Hebee Jebeezs.

There has been a lot of attacking players that played for both.
1. Jon McLaughlin
2. Alan Hutton
3. Phil Bardsley
4. Jimmy Nicholl
5. Terry Bucher
6. Jim Baxter
7. Alex Rae
8. Derek Ferguson
9. Ally McCoist
10. Jermaine Defoe
11. Claudio Reyna

Tore Andre Flo
Martyn Waghorn
David Healy
Don Kitchenbrand
Kyle Lafferty
El Hadji Diouf
Jordan Jones
Manager - Dick Advocaat

would like to see Sunderland go up this year, the fans have been dealt some bad hands in recent times

The testimonial game in '93 was one of my favourite ever away days, the locals were absolutely brilliant. You'd think WW3 had broken out the way the rags had us on their front pages for a week lol.
That was my experience of that trip as well mate, brilliant day out and great times with the locals, i was right beside the guy who blagged the money out of the till in the pub beside the ground tho, that made the news, think the pub was called the Derby??, standing at the bar waiting to be served and the woman behind the bar opens the till and looks away for a second, quick as a flash the guy in front of me is away with a wad of takings, didn’t get my round for ages:)

You have a horrible journalist as a fan, he's never off daytime tv always banging on about being a republican, he once told the nation on that Jeremy Vine show how he's been at only one game in Scotland - a Dundee United match at Tannadice, the opposition was Rangers and he couldn't believe how sectarian our fans were, EVERYONE took a flute to the game and kids were draped in union flags (as if it was a crime or something) hate the cvnt and the team he supports, sorry.

Kevin 'I'm a republican' Maguire.
A gulping, tie avoiding prick, the fúcking gollum.

There aren't many teams out there that the Tims haven't tried to claim an affiliation with to be fair. I know a few Mackems and they're all neutral when it comes to the old-firm, or to be more precise don't care.

Back